Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #31
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
That ship is gorgeous! I love the Christmas decorations, so pretty!

Great picture of Xander in the porthole. Did he love sitting there and watching the ships and the water?

That's a great tip about the cell phones. Our last cruise was 9 years ago, so cell phones weren't as big of a deal. We had them, but they weren't mini computers, so we never got them out. I wouldn't have thought about the phone doing an update either.

I can't wait to see your pictures and impressions of the restaurants. They look amazing, and I'm already obsessed with Animator's Palate.
It really is a beautiful ship, and the decorations make it look so majectic.

Xander sat there almost every time the curtains were open when we were in the room. He loved it there. I was hoping he would, so it worked out nicely.

They really are mini computers. I never thought about the updates either and am happy that it only cost me $11. The first day, I only used it for pictures. It was in the safe after that and luckily the battery died within 24 hours.

You are going to love the next update then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
The photo of Xander standing up against the window gives me the willys. I have a strange fear of heights, and I remember watching my son (at age 2) walk on a 3rd floor walkway with railings (quite safe) and having my stomach drop. It just looks so scary like his back is open to water.
Waiting anxiously for your next update. We are about to book the December Panama Canal Cruise on the Wonder. It took some time to get my boss to agree to the time off, and now I have to pay down the credit card so I can get this cruise on the Disney card so we have no interest for the 6months. So looking forward to your report about your cruise so we have a good view of what is to come. 14 days with mostly sea days.
My MIL was nervous when she first saw that picture too. She did not realize in was completely enclosed. It was a pretty strong glass plate. People leaned on if often while we were sitting there, so get a closer look. We allowed him to look a while too before we made him get back in his chair. I am not afraide of heights but do remember getting scared once years ago. At the top of the stratosphere hotel, they have a viewing room that is encased in glass. When I leaned to get a closer look, I fell onto the glass. That glass is pretty reinforced as well, but that did not cross my brain when I first fell. It scared me until I realized how embarassed I was. Crap helped me up while everyone stared at me.

I am so happy for you with than impending cruise. Fourteen days sounds amazing. We just hope to do at least seven with our next one. Hopefully, everything works out and you do a trip report. I'd love to read it. Before the day is over, I will have the next segment up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
I gave up trying to catch up on the TR.

And when I come over here, I'm going to need my dramamine.

I really wrapped it quickly, so it made it hard to catch up in real time.

Nice to see you over here. You can use my Dramamine.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #32
CrapBag
Earning My Ears

I hear my name has been dropped quite a bit around these parts. Think I'll stay for a minute to see what's what.
CrapBag is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #33
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrapBag View Post
I hear my name has been dropped quite a bit around these parts. Think I'll stay for a minute to see what's what.
If this is my DH, do not act like you have not read every segment up until this point. You know what everything says. I love you. What made you finally give in and get a DIS account? Are we going to DIS together? This does not mean I am going to play MW3 with you.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #34
CrapBag
Earning My Ears

Love you, too.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #35
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

WOW! Does this mean we have to be careful about what we..er...crap... on about???

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #36
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Quote:
Love you, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
WOW! Does this mean we have to be careful about what we..er...crap... on about???
Haha. He only reads my trip report threads to my knowledge. We can still crap on. Now, he is going to read that and get paranoid. After he saw my comment, he told me in person he has no interest in DISing. Way to get him curious enough to read some of the others. Thanks, Princess. We may have a new DISer soon.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #37
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Quote:
Is this the famous Crap Bag? Nice to meet you!
shan23877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #38
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
If this is my DH, do not act like you have not read every segment up until this point. You know what everything says. I love you. What made you finally give in and get a DIS account? Are we going to DIS together? This does not mean I am going to play MW3 with you.

My brother plays MW3. I think Bryan wants a PS3 now for the new Tiger Woods. "It has Augusta on it! The first time it's been on a video game!"

I like video games, but not those 2
shan23877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #39
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Quote:
I told him you said hi, because I realize he will not likely respond. He said hi back. After I asked him anout his new account, he said he just wanted the name. His intentions are not to DIS

Quote:

My brother plays MW3. I think Bryan wants a PS3 now for the new Tiger Woods. "It has Augusta on it! The first time it's been on a video game!"

I like video games, but not those 2
I got the boys (Crap and Xander) a PS3 for Christmas with a few games. Whenever Crap is home, he is always playing MW3. He tries to get me to play with him. That is not my thing though. While he plays, I DIS. Then, we both have a good time. Xander likes Toy Story 3, but we do not let him play very often. When he gets bigger, I will let him play more. And, Crap is not willing to give up the machine when he is home anyway.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #40
CrapBag
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Hello, Shannon! Likewise.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #41
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Quote:
Hello, Shannon! Likewise.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #42
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Crush is Always a Hoot

Our table assignment for dinner was number 43. Each night, you show up around your determined start time and head directly to your table. You will be greeted each night by the same serving team. They follow you to each restaurant. Franz was our assistant server each night. Melissa was our server. Simone was our head server. By the third night, the drinks we ordered the previous nights were waiting on the table for us. It was nice. If you have breakfast at the same restaurant you ate dinner at the night before, you will also be greeted by your serving team and eat at your table. Each restaurant has different breakfast hours, so this does not always work if you are sleeping in or getting an early start. The personal navigator lists the operating breakfast hours (along with everything else).

Eating at a different restaurant than where you had the previous dinner for breakfast does require you to check in, so they can find you an open space. Tips are given at the end of the cruise to your servers rather than at each meal. When you eat somewhere else, they tell you not to leave a tip for anything other than cash items like alcohol, which is automatically added. That was weird. It is easy to walk away from your servers knowing you will tip them at the end but harder to walk away from others. I guess it all works out in the end. Since we never ate lunch at a sit down during this trip, I am not sure if lunch works the same way. We did see Melissa at a QS restaurant one of the days, so I am guessing it does not work for lunch. Disney is now having people pay tips up front from what I read recently. We did that anyway, and were given receipts to put in out envelopes at the end of the trip. Of course, we added extra cash to all of them as well.

Now that the boring stuff is out of the way, I will get back to the evening. We headed down to our first assigned restaurant, Animator’s Palate on Deck Three. This is the one we were all looking forward to. Watching Crush at DCA and Epcot is a favorite pastime for our family. The pictures and videos of this restaurant do not show how beautiful it really is. Everything looks like a Painter’s palate or brush, and Xander loved the ambiance.

The paintings on the wall change. When you enter, they all look like sketches. Then, they change into paintings. Before you know it, they turn into the sea. Some fun Nemo characters come out and have fun with people nearby while you are ordering and eating appetizers. Then, they all go away and Crush comes out while you wait for your main course. I hoped Crush would talk to Xander. He never sits up front when we watch at the parks, so Crush has never talked directly to him. Since there are screens all throughout the restaurant and everyone is seated, we finally had a chance. Unfortunately, Crush never talked to us. One of the tables he talked to was very close to us, and it was a lot of fun to watch. Crush was a hoot as always. People sometimes ask the same questions of Crush, but I like that every viewing is slightly different. This evening, the little boy at the table near us was telling him all about his family. When it was Crush’s turn to tell the little boy about his family, it took him a while to name all of his kids. Watching the little boy’s face as he did so was awesome. I never knew Crush’s kids had that many names. There is an interaction in every section before Crush leaves. Every seat in the house is a good one.

Watching the show while we waited for our food made it seem like you were there for the show and your food arrives before you know it. This must be a wonderful restaurant for parents with overly hungry kids. Xander ate at Cabanas a few hours earlier, and I nursed Connor during almost the entire dinner show.

Crap thinks this was a salmon tartare but cannot remember for sure. I do not eat seafood, so I am not sure.

His drink was a Negroni. This is an Italian drink made with equal parts gin, sweet vermouth and campari. He loves this drink and tried to order one for Franz as well, since he mentioned he also loved the drink. Unfortunately, he was not allowed to have it. They are never technically off duty the entire duration of the cruise thus not allowed to have a drink. I never drink, since I loathe alcohol. That must stink for the people who like it though, especially on longer cruises. The drink was the only thing we had to pay for at this meal. Gratuity was added automatically at the time he purchased it.

Between the appetizers and the main course or between the salad and the appetizers, I started getting very dizzy. I was unsure if it was my undiagnosed medical condition or if I was experiencing sea sickness. Since my dizziness usually got bad after activity, and I had been seated for a while, I determined that I was probably experiencing sea sickness. My sister and Crap’s Aunt are regular cruisers who both take Dramamine throughout their cruises. They both advised me to bring some just in case, so I could avoid the prices for it on the ship. Before we ever left Vegas, I bought some at Target. I did not want to find out the hard way that I needed it, so I wanted to carry it with me and take it right when I felt symptoms (if I did). Unfortunately, Crap in his never ending quest for knowledge looked on the Internet before we ever left the dock that day. Site after site suggests pregnant and nursing women should avoid it. The bottle did not have a warning that vast from my recollection.

There was a large paintbrush looking pillar behind me. Throughout the second half of our dinner, I leaned on it a lot. Crap said he felt fine. Connor appeared fine. We kept asking Xander how he felt. He was fine too. Sea sickness was only affecting me. It was good that the boys were all well though. I decided to forgo the medication to keep it out of my breast milk. If it does not expire before our next cruise and Connor is done nursing by then, I may bring it just in case.

Connor fell asleep after he was done nursing. He had been sleeping in Crap’s arms, since I was so dizzy. Melissa suggested we bring our stroller in, so we could lay him down. I wanted to rent a stroller, since our double was not going to work for this ship. Despite feeling dizzy, I did walk to the guest service desk. We were happy to find that the stroller use was free as long as it was returned undamaged to the desk before the end of the cruise. It was a Peg Perego Vela, I believe. Xander had a Peg Perego Pliko3 when he was a baby, and I loved it. The Vela was horrible. Very rarely would it even turn by itself, so we had the hardest time getting anywhere with it. Getting on and off the elevator with this thing was no fun, because we did not always make it off before the doors closed! Whenever I ran into another Mom who was obviously using the ship’s stroller, I asked how hers was. All three of the people I ran into said theirs was terrible as well, so it does not appear that we just got a dud. That stroller was so terrible that we turned it in early. It was in its original condition when we returned it, but I can say it was not damaged. Our stroller (purchased just for the WDW part of the trip) was a Bob Revolution SE Dualie, and we were spoiled by how well in handled in use and bothered by how much of a hassle it was on transportation and getting through our cruise door.

As if this restaurant was not already cool enough, it was the best meal we had while we were there. Every table service dinner is on par with a signature restaurant at WDW, but this was all of our favorites. I had a filet, Xander had Mac and cheese and Crap cannot remember what he had. He does remember that he liked the food from that restaurant the best. We never dined at Palo or Remy’s this trip, since we wanted to try all of the main restaurants. Those are the adult only Italian and French restaurants respectively. Diners have to pay an additional $20 for Palo and $75 for Remy. On our next cruise, I would like to try both of those restaurants. I am sure that those are probably the best tasting restaurants on the ship.

Xander ordered chocolate cake for dessert and was happily eating it when they came around and gave him another mini cake to celebrate his birthday. It had already been over two days at this point, but it was still being celebrated. He looked so excited and could not get over eating two desserts. Unfortunately, he never came close to finishing either, but he still loved every moment of trying. They did a mass celebration for all of the celebrants at the same time they did it for Xander. I do not remember them doing it again for Xander or anyone after that, so they probably just covered everyone at the first meal.

After dinner wrapped, my dizziness was not as bad. I did feel slightly nauseous, but that is a side effect of my gastritis. It could have been that well. If it was sea sickness, I was able to fight it off just fine. Within a few minutes of walking around, my nausea subsided and my dizziness was very minimal. I would experience other very small bouts of dizziness throughout the rest of the cruise but none more severe than I suffer at home. Not medicating was a very good idea, because I would have never known that my body fought it off on its own if I had medicated.

Since my dizziness was almost gone, we did a little more exploring of the ship. There was so much beauty everywhere we went.

The ship had a miniature version of the gingerbread house we spent the previous week looking at. It was still pretty massive compared to others I’ve seen. I loved the smell of this, and you could smell it from very far away.

All of the artwork and decorations on the ship were truly amazing. Before long, our exploration had to come to an end. We needed to get the stroller up to our room and make it down to theatre to watch our first of three live shows in time to get seats and popcorn for Xander.

When we got to the room, this stroller would not fit through the door either! This was the Dream’s official stroller, and it does not even fit through the door. It was by no means large, so I wonder how small a stroller would have to be to fit through the door. An umbrella stroller may fit through but most others may not. I carried Connor into the room while Crap carried the stroller in. I changed Connor, and we headed back down to the third floor to watch our show. This update is already long, so I will wrap it here. The video I mentioned will have to be in the next one.

Last edited by kmedina; 05-20-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #43
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Hello CrapBag! Welcome to the DIS, pretty soon we may see you lasting!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:51 PM   #44
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Hello CrapBag! Welcome to the DIS, pretty soon we may see you lasting!
That would be awesome.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #45
dara00
DIS Veteran

oops I was behind!

that is cool about the wave phone. I don't remember having that on the cruises I have been on! certainly if they had them they were not free to use. it is also cool that you can rent a stroller for free, but too bad it was annoying to use! we have not cruised with our kids so haven't had to fit strollers into cruise rooms yet!

the one time I saw the crush show (at disneyland) I think someone asked crush his kids' names. he went through a long list of them, it was so funny!

First Disney Trip 4/1992 ~ 7th Grade with parents and brother ~ MK, Epcot, MGM / 4/1994 ~ 9th grade with parents and brother ~ MK, Epcot, MGM / 3/1998 ~ College Spring Break with then bf now dh ~ MK, Epcot, MGM / 8/2006 with dh and 17 mos dd ~ DLR / 3/2007 with dh and 23 mos dd ~ AK / 12/2007 with dh, 2.5 yr dd and 6 mos ds ~ MK & Epcot / 5/2009 with dh, 4 yr dd, and 2 yr ds ~ DLR & CA /1/2012 with dh, 6 yr dd, 4 yr ds, and 17 mos ds ~ MK & DHS / 11/2012 for my birthday and Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon with dh ~ Marathon & Epcot / 6/2013 with dh, 8 yr old dd, 6 yr old ds, 2.5 yr old ds ~ all!

dara00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: