Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
mommy2tati
DIS Veteran

Change in DCL Cancellation Policy on Select Sailings

I got this this morning from my TA:

Update to Cruise Cancellation Policy May 15, 2012 by Disney Destinations

Effective today, the cancellation fee period will change for cruises 10 days or more and cruises less than 10 days where the embark and debark is a non-U.S. port. The 50% cancellation fee period will now be calculated at 55 days prior to vacation commencement versus 44 days. In 2012, this new policy will impact the 14-night Hawaiian cruise and 14-night Panama Canal Repositioning cruise. In 2013, it will impact Mediterranean, Alaskan and Repositioning cruises.
For reservations made prior to May 15, 2012, the cancellation fees assessed will be based on the cancellation fees listed on the original confirmation unless the sailing date or vacation package is modified.

April 2009 - Disney Wonder
August 2011 - Disney Dream
February 2012 - Disney Dream
August 2012 - Disney Magic
August 2013 - Disney Fantasy Eastern
mommy2tati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Keira1387
Married at Disney August 2, 2008

Now change in cancellation policy! What is going on with DCL?!

Just saw this... This is a lot of change in a short amount of time.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruis...ice.htm#cancel
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

changes to cancellation policy??

Could someone please help me understand today's announcement about a new cancellation policy? It states, in part:
"...Changes to the vacation commencement date or changes of Guest names will be considered cancellations...."
Does this mean no more changing of "dummy" bookings? Changing the vacation start date is considered a cancellation, therefore if I change my dummy booking we made onboard earlier this spring will I lose my 10% discount/lower deposit and the OBC? The dummy date is booked for a 3-night in fall 2013 but we had planned to change it to a 7-night in 2014 once the schedules are released. Bummer!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

If that means what it looks like, then even MORE people will cancel and go to other lines!

1/27/07 Western Caribbean Disney Magic; 2/2/12 Disney Dream Bahamas; 4/28/12 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; 1/27/13 Carnival Legend; 9/7/13 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 1/25/14 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 2/16/14 Disney Dream Bahamas; 9/6/14 Disney Magic WBTA
ThePhantomsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
LauraEadon

Was there always a charge for taking disney buses from the airport to the cruise line?
LauraEadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

Although, if it means only that one tries to switch dates within a certain time frame, then that is understandable. For example Mr. Cruiser decides he can't go on a booked cruise 43 days out and wants to move it further out.

But if it is meaning the dummy cruise thing, then bad move DCL! Again, it would make more sense to have future sailing certificates with no actual date involved. Sure, limit them to being needed to be used within a certain timeframe.

It is beginning to look like DCL had better get out there and make some clarifications to do some major damage control here. Some is speculation, and speculation is often inaccurate. But the old saying "where there is smoke, there is fire" is feeling pretty accurate right now.

We know you read the boards DCL. It's time to clarify things. You may well lose many cruisers to other lines if there is a lot of truth to things.

1/27/07 Western Caribbean Disney Magic; 2/2/12 Disney Dream Bahamas; 4/28/12 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; 1/27/13 Carnival Legend; 9/7/13 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 1/25/14 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 2/16/14 Disney Dream Bahamas; 9/6/14 Disney Magic WBTA
ThePhantomsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraEadon View Post
Was there always a charge for taking disney buses from the airport to the cruise line?
Yes, there was always a charge for the bus transportation (on the Magic MV, DCL screwed up and billed me twice!)

OK, am I nuts? Seems to me that it would have been better for DCO to make a blanket release of "we are making some changes to our policies" and get it all out at once rather than getting people irritated multiple times. This is a lot of days with changes!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
elcasar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Could someone please help me understand today's announcement about a new cancellation policy? It states, in part:
"...Changes to the vacation commencement date or changes of Guest names will be considered cancellations...."
Does this mean no more changing of "dummy" bookings? Changing the vacation start date is considered a cancellation, therefore if I change my dummy booking we made onboard earlier this spring will I lose my 10% discount/lower deposit and the OBC? The dummy date is booked for a 3-night in fall 2013 but we had planned to change it to a 7-night in 2014 once the schedules are released. Bummer!

As I read that, the changes don't apply to your dummy booking, as it is less than 10 days, and embarks from a US port.
elcasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraEadon View Post
yes, $35/person each way
Old 05-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantomsGirl View Post
Although, if it means only that one tries to switch dates within a certain time frame, then that is understandable. For example Mr. Cruiser decides he can't go on a booked cruise 43 days out and wants to move it further out.

But if it is meaning the dummy cruise thing, then bad move DCL! Again, it would make more sense to have future sailing certificates with no actual date involved. Sure, limit them to being needed to be used within a certain timeframe.

It is beginning to look like DCL had better get out there and make some clarifications to do some major damage control here. Some is speculation, and speculation is often inaccurate. But the old saying "where there is smoke, there is fire" is feeling pretty accurate right now.

We know you read the boards DCL. It's time to clarify things. You may well lose many cruisers to other lines if there is a lot of truth to things.
This was my thinking too. They better clarify things rather than all the speculation that's out there.

Wonder if they've updated the website with all these changes they are making?
Old 05-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #11
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Was wondering too.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I would say that you can still have a "dummy" cruise and move it and keep the benefits, as long as the cruise you are moving from is not more than 10 days long or embarks from a non-US port.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keira1387 View Post
Just saw this... This is a lot of change in a short amount of time.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruis...ice.htm#cancel
Holy cow! From the link Keira posted:

Cancellations must be made by telephone or in writing. Changes to the vacation commencement date or changes of Guest names will be considered cancellations.

Changes are not permitted once you're within the penalty period. You will need to cancel, pay the penalty that is in effect and rebook the new date.

Categories with Restrictions: Reservations for Inside, Outside or Verandah Categories with Restrictions are non-refundable and non-transferable. A 100% cruise cancellation fee applies from time of payment.

The chart below outlines the current cancellation policy for 2012 DCL cruises less than 10 days where embark or debark is U.S. port.

If you cancel within this period: The cancellation fee is:

Suites/concierge staterooms:
45 + Days prior to sail = Loss of Deposit per guest.

Non-suites/concierge staterooms :
74 - 45 Days prior to sail = Loss of Deposit per guest.

All Categories:
44 - 30 Days prior to sail = 50% of vacation price per guest

All Categories:
29 - 15 Days prior to sail = 75% of vacation price per guest

All Categories:
14 Days or less before sailing = No refund

This sure does look like moving a dummy date or changing and/or adding people to your cabin IS a "cancellation". Since it's a "cancellation", I'm assuming the 10% discount, OBC, and the 10% instead of 20% deposit is gone if you move a dummy booking.

If this is indeed the case, it sure looks like my first cruise with DCL just might be my last. I was planning on booking a dummy while we're on the Fantasy this August and moving it once 2014's cruises were announced.

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (18); Bear (7); Cosmo (7? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

From what is posted above, then moving the vacation date appears to count as a cancellation for ALL cruises.

If so, DCL has effectively obliviated the use of the dummy date for onboard booking. If it is considered a cancellation, then yes, once you change the date the 10% discount and OBC are gone.

There can also be no more substitution of names without cancelling, apparently.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #15
ksucats
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
From what is posted above, then moving the vacation date appears to count as a cancellation for ALL cruises.

If so, DCL has effectively canceled the use of the dummy date for onboard booking. If it is considered a cancellation, then yes, once you change the date the 10% discount and OBC are gone.
I hope not. We are on the Fantasy next week and would like to cruise again in 2014. If they don't have 2014 dates available & dummy bookings no longer work, then I won't be booking another cruise on Disney while on board. I still may book one in 2014, but would be more likely to wait for a last minute deal.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: