Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
kyl
DIS Veteran

We booked and paid for our flights! October her we come.

Just wanted to let others know that qantas has a sale on atm. We booked return flights for $1499 to Dallas from Sydney. Just wondering if anyone else has done this leg with qantas. I have to say I am a little worried about the long flight back.....19hrs with a stop over in QLD
We haven't booked our flights to orlando from dallas yet....my husband has this great idea of getting a campervan and driving from DallasAnyone else done this and if so what places of interest is there on the way? I would love to stop in at New Orleans but I don't know what it is like since the hurricane came through a few years back. Anyway the planning continues and in about five months time we will be up up and away!!!
WDW Art of Animation resort Nov 2012
WDW SSR one bedroom villa 2012
WDW Coronado Springs Resort Sept/Oct 2010
Disneyland Hotel Oct 2010
Disneyland Grand Californian Resort June 2009
(Me DW) (DH)(DD13) :
(DD9) (DS5)
kyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:02 AM   #2
battymum
DIS Veteran

Woo Hoo - Congrats

We did the Dallas flights last year - its about 3hours more miserable than an LA flight - but at least you end up that little bit closer.

Is it really 19hrs back - it felt better coming back, because you leave around 10:00pm so I actually got a little bit of sleep. Leaving at 2:00pm makes it hard to get on and get some sleep.

Cant comment on the campervan thing - but could be fun!
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2012, 03:19 AM   #3
Travel Mum
DIS Veteran

Oh Kyl, I am soooooooo happy for you !! How long are you going for and where are you staying for Disneyworld?
Disneyland - May 1996
Disneyland - March 1995 - for our 1st wedding anniversary celebration trip
Disneyland lots of times 78-80, 82-86 and 92-93 when I lived in L.A.
Travel Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:09 AM   #4
Andona
Destroyer of the Aussie Dollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyl View Post
....my husband has this great idea of getting a campervan and driving from DallasAnyone else done this and if so what places of interest is there on the way? I would love to stop in at New Orleans but I don't know what it is like since the hurricane came through a few years back. Anyway the planning continues and in about five months time we will be up up and away!!!
Congratulations on booking your flights!

We are spending a few days in New Orleans on our cross country drive so I've done a fair bit of reading/research about it. The historical centre of the city, the French Quarter, was not flooded when Katrina hit and the main attractions there are all operating as usual. Most of the other touristy areas ( The Garden district and Marigny etc are also back to normal) The really badly affected parts like the Ninth Ward are still pretty devastated but it has created a new tourist attraction, there are several "Katrina" tours that take you to the levees that were breached and to the areas that saw the worst flooding etc. ( Not entirely sure about these, it seems a bit gruesome but apparently a lot of the proceeds go towards rebuilding those areas)

We haven't done the campervan thing but have seen heaps of those massive Winnebagos driving along the highways in the southwest. I'm not too sure how easy it would be in built up areas like central New Orleans? You'd probably have to base yourself in a van park well out of the centre of the city and get public transport in to the main tourist attractions

However, Driving from Dallas to New Orleans you could go via Memphis - see Graceland and the other attractions in the city. We have to drive a bit out of our way to go to Memphis but DH said he couldn't possibly visit the Deep South and NOT go there

Between Memphis and New Orleans is the town of Natchez, right on the Mississippee. Natchez is chock full of grand old plantation homes, which you can visit to learn about to Ol' Soujth and some of which you can stay in. I'm hoping to sit on a wide verandah and sip Mint Juleps and watch Ol' Man River flow by...

You'll have lots of fun planning your trip!

Andona
2005: DL - 3/50 states | 2007- UK & Paris | 2008: WDW - 14/50 states| 2009: DL - 18/50 States | 2011 European roadtrip - ANZAC day in France | 2012: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip! 25/50 states Read my TR|2013 Italy

Dec 2014 Hawaii Here We Come!

Aug 2015 Pacific Northwest Roadtrip finishing up in DL. Yay!
Andona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:14 AM   #5
Sugarglider
DIS Veteran

yeah - I did the flight last year. and yes you do need a strategy for handling the long flight. You are not actually flying for the whole 19 hours - that includes the transit in Brisbane. You don't go through customs/immi - you just get off and sit at the gate. The cafes and shops are open and you can go for a wander. From my perspective it does add to the tediousness.
But hey - it's the price I pay for 12 days of delight!
Sugarglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:23 AM   #6
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Congrats Kyl!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:46 AM   #7
kyl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andona View Post
Congratulations on booking your flights!

We are spending a few days in New Orleans on our cross country drive so I've done a fair bit of reading/research about it. The historical centre of the city, the French Quarter, was not flooded when Katrina hit and the main attractions there are all operating as usual. Most of the other touristy areas ( The Garden district and Marigny etc are also back to normal) The really badly affected parts like the Ninth Ward are still pretty devastated but it has created a new tourist attraction, there are several "Katrina" tours that take you to the levees that were breached and to the areas that saw the worst flooding etc. ( Not entirely sure about these, it seems a bit gruesome but apparently a lot of the proceeds go towards rebuilding those areas)

We haven't done the campervan thing but have seen heaps of those massive Winnebagos driving along the highways in the southwest. I'm not too sure how easy it would be in built up areas like central New Orleans? You'd probably have to base yourself in a van park well out of the centre of the city and get public transport in to the main tourist attractions

However, Driving from Dallas to New Orleans you could go via Memphis - see Graceland and the other attractions in the city. We have to drive a bit out of our way to go to Memphis but DH said he couldn't possibly visit the Deep South and NOT go there

Between Memphis and New Orleans is the town of Natchez, right on the Mississippee. Natchez is chock full of grand old plantation homes, which you can visit to learn about to Ol' Soujth and some of which you can stay in. I'm hoping to sit on a wide verandah and sip Mint Juleps and watch Ol' Man River flow by...

You'll have lots of fun planning your trip!

Andona
Wow Andona,
It sounds like you are well researched! Thank you so much for your tips on towns to visit....maybe the road trip idea is not such a bad one after all. But I am with you I think we should stay in accomodation on the way and use maybe a mini van or something to travel in. As there will be five of usGraceland I had never even thought of and would love to visit....so maybe a road trip to New Orleans and then a flight to disneyworld. Anything else really worth seeing between New Orleans and WDW if we were to drive. I can't wait to read your TR if you do one

Travelmum,
So glad to see you have more plans thereIts always nice to look forward to a holiday and plan it! We are staying at Baylake tower for one week at this point, as we rented points way back. But I am hanging out to see if WDW will offer any specials in Novemeber? We have booked our flights from 27th October to 17 November. So three weeks in total...should be fun!
(Me DW) (DH)(DD13) :
(DD9) (DS5)
Old 05-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
kyl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarglider View Post
yeah - I did the flight last year. and yes you do need a strategy for handling the long flight. You are not actually flying for the whole 19 hours - that includes the transit in Brisbane. You don't go through customs/immi - you just get off and sit at the gate. The cafes and shops are open and you can go for a wander. From my perspective it does add to the tediousness.
But hey - it's the price I pay for 12 days of delight!
Thanks Sugarglider I was wondering if we cleared customs in QLD or SYD...
(Me DW) (DH)(DD13) :
(DD9) (DS5)
Old 05-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
Melbourne5
DIS Veteran

Hi well done on your booking.

We did the trip last year to WDW via Dallas. The benefit of arriving at 2pm Dallas time from sydney is that you only need to stay up a few more hours (easier said than done) before crashing in normal us night time. We stayed at the airport Hyatt and flew to Orlando the next day. Worked well for us.

On the return.....well it's the 2nd or 3rd longest route flown and my only advice is try and make the whole day as active as possible so you get off to sleep as soon as possible after takeoff and dinner......we all slept for 6-7 hrs ( longest ever) on this flight.
2010 Operation California & Vegas DLR (Grand Californian)+San Diego+ Las Vegas
2009 Operation USA DLR (Sheraton)
Melbourne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
kyl
DIS Veteran

Thanks melbourne5! I was looking at staying at the Hyatt but for the five of us we need to book two rooms. Did you find this was the case for u guys as well? I would love to stay there because I know we will all want to just sleep when we get off that flight. Thinking room service for dinner and a sleep then wake up fingers crossed in USA time (morning)...
(Me DW) (DH)(DD13) :
(DD9) (DS5)
Old 05-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #11
revroy
Mouseketeer

Sounds cool, October is a great time to be in the parks, We are going again in October as well
revroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #12
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Congrats on booking and last year we did both the flights and the drive i would highly recommend Graceland but it is not the direct way to go and would depend on how much time you have?
If you are going that way i would also recommend you go out of your way to Lynchburg Tennessee and do the tour of the Jack Daniels tour it was a highlight of our trip.
You could drive one way and back another, it is much more cost effective to hire a mini van and stay in hotels.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

National lampoons Christmas vacation.......

just emptying the sh#ter....

sorry... cool re flights...enjoy your cross country trip.....should be cool
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #14
kyl
DIS Veteran

Ha ha Karen, don't worry my thoughts as well.......WAMUM4 did you hire an RV to do this drive. We are thinking maybe drive to New Orleans and then get a plane from there to Orlando? Then the leg back we will just fly from Orlando to Dallas. We will have 6 days to fill in during this time do u think it will be to long, not enough time or just the right amount
(Me DW) (DH)(DD13) :
(DD9) (DS5)
Old 05-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyl View Post
Ha ha Karen, don't worry my thoughts as well.......WAMUM4 did you hire an RV to do this drive. We are thinking maybe drive to New Orleans and then get a plane from there to Orlando? Then the leg back we will just fly from Orlando to Dallas. We will have 6 days to fill in during this time do u think it will be to long, not enough time or just the right amount
We hired a mini can we thought we wanted an RV but when we looked into it the cost was
6 days is plenty if you are only driving to New Orleans you could drive the whole way to WDW in that time

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: