Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #16
mommy2mrb
Mama to a Princess - But I'm a Scrap Princess
But you wouldn't need the clothes if you had the hot man

all great advice, thanks to you both!

mommy2mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #17
LittleMissMagic
Disney Clemson Girl

I remember that. I was in 7th grade and curled up in my closet floor, crying my eyes out. My chest was bigger than all my friends', and I was shorter than everyone else (I was always the shortest, but my friends were all getting very tall, so while I was once just a couple of inches shorter, there was now an even more obvious difference). I hated that my body was changing, and I just wished that I could have stayed a little kid forever.

Those were tough times, but looking back, I realize that it's because I wanted too much to be like everyone else. I wanted to wear Hollister and American Eagle like my friends, but I was still in Limited Too. And then I didn't understand how to dress to fit my body type - T-shirts just pulled in the middle and accentuated my larger chest. I was too busy focusing on my flaws, and couldn't see my assets.

Just an idea - why don't you pick out some things about your daughter that are great and point them out to her. This could be in a heart-to-heart conversation, or just casually whenever you notice them. I suggest using a mixture of personality traits (because you want her to know that beauty lies within) and physical traits (because at that age - or any age really, as much as we want to deny it, feeling pretty matters).

A few examples -

"You're so organized and on top of things. That's really going to get you far in life." "You're so funny - I can always count on you to make me smile."

"You have such beautiful, long eyelashes. Maybe we could see what they look like with a little mascara, just for fun." (I'm not sure how opposed you both are to make-up at this young age, but it might be fun to play dress-up... dolling up usually makes me feel beautiful.)

I really hope that this doesn't last long, and that soon Megan can see herself for the beautiful girl she is.
LittleMissMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #18
MazdaUK
Curse this time difference!
You show me yours I'll show you mine!
Now I just want to go home and spread my bits of paper about

You make me glad I have boys who just keep trying to beat each other I remember adolescence was horrible, and girls make far more of it than boys. A couple of things that might help - how about a (light) tinted moisturiser? It might help even out her skin tones a little, and to blend in the concealer.

Also (and sorry, this is a bit sneakier ) I remember how all the girls who were really pretty at the age of 10 looked very plain by 14/15, while those of us who had different...er.. proportions or attributes have all aged much better! (Honestly, if you look at my school reunion photos its quite amazing!)
DLP Disney Hotel New York May 2003
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
MazdaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #19
morgansmom2000
DIS Veteran

I'm going to second Sheila's comment about being unique. When Morgan starts the "but I wish I looked like so and so" I always remind her that the world we be an awfully boring place if everyone looked the same.

Glad to hear she's feeling better.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #20
mommy2mrb
Mama to a Princess - But I'm a Scrap Princess
But you wouldn't need the clothes if you had the hot man

we've been talking a lot about this the last couple of nights, Megan really does have a good sense of herself and knows she's never going to be a skinny, tiny girl due to her body/bone structure and is okay with it.

I was never one of the "pretty" girls and developed early, wore glasses and braces, so middle school was not good to me...I've been sharing my stories with her also.

Megan has a couple of her friends who developed early too....and its amazing how many different shapes and sizes there are in the 6th grade.

we will continue to talk and I tell her every day how sweet, kind, smart, pretty she is inside and out!

mommy2mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #21
mycutiepatooties
DIS Veteran

I have been thinking about you both. Glad to see your update that she seems to be feeling a bit better.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: