Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #451
maiziejenga
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpccc View Post
We are only 2hrs, 15 min from Galveston. Cruise a lot out of Galveston and usually drive down the day before, that is if the hotel prices aren't out of site. With the cruise leaving on a Fri, the hotels prices for Thurs. are very reasonable. Have found it is just fun to start the vacation a day early and no stress about getting to the ship on time especially with the Houston traffic on a week day. Also, a lot of the hotels allow you to park your car for the duration of the cruise for free and many have free shuttles to the port and back. We are staying at the Four Points.
That's a good thought about traffic and parking. If we were going to spend $75 on parking anyway, may as well avoid the traffic and have breakfast at the pool.
maiziejenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #452
MissAverysMomma
Earning My Ears

We will be in Houston, so we will just drive down that morning.

Disney Dream - July 2011
Disney Magic - May 2013
MissAverysMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #453
denamo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiziejenga View Post
For those who live in tx, are you driving in the night before or morning of? We're out in temple, and I thought we'd do the 4 hr drive the morning of the 10th to make our 1200 embarkation time, but now I'm freaking out that something will happen and we'll miss the ship!

Thoughts?
I truly understand your concern of making it to port especially since this will be a weekday departure. We do live in Texas, but as you know Texas is a big state. Our drive is almost 7 hours! We're at the southmost tip of TX. We always drive up the day before. We would have to leave very early to make it to port on the same day.

In January we cruised on the RCCL Mariner. When Princess, Carnival, RCCL and Disney cruiselines were in Galveston: hotels were a premium price so we stayed in Texas City. This time with two of the four not there and staying on a weekday, hotel prices are definitely down, so we are staying in Galveston the night before.

We've stayed in hotels offering complimentary cruise parking with shuttles to port, and we've also parked in both the port lot and commercial lots in Galveston. We've had varied experiences with complimentary hotel shuttles. Once we just gave up and a took a cab.

We've decided it is our preference to use one of the commercial parking areas. We are using BOI Valet this time. Parking is located inside old warehouses directly across the street from the port. Nice to have indoor, covered parking. We previously used a subsidiary of this same group (Park N Cruise) for our RCCL cruises out of Galveston. It is an extremely convenient location being right across the street from the port. We drop off our luggage, go park the car, and walk back across the street. Once back, after clearing customs, I'll wait with luggage while DH gets the car. Painless way to park!

Hope this information is helpful for you.

Last edited by denamo; 04-06-2013 at 08:58 AM.
denamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #454
denamo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpccc View Post
We have been to WDW many times, so think we'll just stick with going to Epcot and Hollywood. Imagine we will head back to the ship fairly early since we have seen all the fireworks shows.

Maybe we will be assigned together!! We are also big RCCL fans and cruisers.
We've only been to WDW once as a family, and I had a work conference in Orlando about four years ago (now retired). I spent an afternoon/evening in Magic Kingdom then. Anything we see will be great to us!

We really like RCCL as well. This will be our first Disney cruise.
denamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #455
golfpccc
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by denamo View Post
I truly understand your concern of making it to port especially since this will be a weekday departure. We do live in Texas, but as you know Texas is a big state. Our drive is almost 7 hours! We're at the southmost tip of TX. We always drive up the day before. We would have to leave very early to make it to port on the same day.

In January we cruised on the RCCL Mariner. When Princess, Carnival, RCCL and Disney cruiselines were in Galveston: hotels were a premium price so we stayed in Texas City. This time with two of the four not there and staying on a weekday, hotel prices are definitely down, so we are staying in Galveston the night before.

We've stayed in hotels offering complimentary cruise parking with shuttles to port, and we've also parked in both the port lot and commercial lots in Galveston. We've had varied experiences with complimentary hotel shuttles. Once we just gave up and a took a cab.

We've decided it is our preference to use one of the commercial parking areas. We are using BOI Valet this time. Parking is located inside old warehouses directly across the street from the port. Nice to have indoor, covered parking. We previously used a subsidiary of this same group (Park N Cruise) for our RCCL cruises out of Galveston. It is an extremely convenient location being right across the street from the port. We drop off our luggage, go park the car, and walk back across the street. Once back, after clearing customs, I'll wait with luggage while DH gets the car. Painless way to park!

Hope this information is helpful for you.
Even though we stay in Galveston the night before the cruise and usually stay at a hotel that offers free parking, we always park our car at a private lot across the street from the cruise terminal--DH likes to have control of arriving time and departure time from the port!! We basically do the same as denamo--except DH drops me off at the port with the luggage then he parks the car and walks back to the terminal. On departure, we walk across the street with our luggage and I wait on the corner while DH gets the car. Works great for us, no hassel.
golfpccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #456
golfpccc
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by s232271 View Post
We always drive down night before and stay at the harbor house they have a great rate right now and watch the ship pull in on Friday morning since we r right at the port!
Harbor House is a great location. We use to stay at HH and leave our car for the week in their parking lot for $40. However, they now charge $10 for the night you stay and $10 for each night you leave the car. Or, they give you the option of leaving your car at the Galvez Parking Garage for free and then you can use the Galvez free shuttle to and from the port. Great price for HH on line right now ($80)+. Love to wake up and see the ship dock. Also, the HH is so close to the port you can walk with your luggage to the terminal or they will call the Galvez shuttle to transport you and luggage. We kind of alternate between staying on the harbor and seawall.
golfpccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #457
tholifield
Earning My Ears

Join FE Exchange

My wife and I are taking our boys on their first Disney Cruise. If it is not too late we would like to join the FE Exchange for the Magic Cruise 5/10-18/2013. For our sons Caleb-6 and Caden-4.

Thanks,

Tim and Amy
tholifield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #458
jim robirds
Earning My Ears

we go the day of the cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiziejenga View Post
For those who live in tx, are you driving in the night before or morning of? We're out in temple, and I thought we'd do the 4 hr drive the morning of the 10th to make our 1200 embarkation time, but now I'm freaking out that something will happen and we'll miss the ship!

Thoughts?
That thought is always in the back of your mind, "what if ..." . We figure it is about a 4 hr drive from Austin to Galv. We leave the morning of the cruise about 8AM...we stop at Sealy for gas and a potty break[walmart]. This will be our 4th time [3 on DCL]. We drive US71 to IH-10, then take IH-45 south in Houston to Galveston. We go LEFT on 26th st to the deadend and turn left to EZ Cruise Parking. I choose 1:30 for our boarding time and so far no problem---we usually get there early.

Of course there is always a first time so for your own piece of mind, you might want to go a day early.

C U on the ship, Jim
jim robirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #459
mickeydavis
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim robirds
That thought is always in the back of your mind, "what if ..." . We figure it is about a 4 hr drive from Austin to Galv. We leave the morning of the cruise about 8AM...we stop at Sealy for gas and a potty break[walmart]. This will be our 4th time [3 on DCL]. We drive US71 to IH-10, then take IH-45 south in Houston to Galveston. We go LEFT on 26th st to the deadend and turn left to EZ Cruise Parking. I choose 1:30 for our boarding time and so far no problem---we usually get there early.

Of course there is always a first time so for your own piece of mind, you might want to go a day early.

C U on the ship, Jim
We're coming from that area too! I was wondering a good route to take. Never driven to Houston/Galveston area and looked like lots of options in getting there. Thanks!
mickeydavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #460
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireMind View Post
So excited! Just figured out what I'm going to do for our FE project!!! :dance:
I'm feeling your excitement....I've started making our gifts and bought some extra Disney items yesterday to add to the gift bags!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #461
BMCGUIRE
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholifield
My wife and I are taking our boys on their first Disney Cruise. If it is not too late we would like to join the FE Exchange for the Magic Cruise 5/10-18/2013. For our sons Caleb-6 and Caden-4.

Thanks,

Tim and Amy
I think the deadline was april 1st...
But we are making our FE giftbags now and would be happy to make an extra one for your boys if you would like
BMCGUIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #462
tholifield
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMCGUIRE View Post

I think the deadline was april 1st...
But we are making our FE giftbags now and would be happy to make an extra one for your boys if you would like

Thank you that is very kind offer. If you will provide you information we will be honored to do an exchange with your family. Sorry missed the cutoff.

Thank you,

Tim & Amy Holifield
tholifield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #463
Zandersmom
time flies-now I'm Mom to a whole Z pack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neska1212 View Post
Hello,
I would love to participate on the FE for this cruise. We did one on our first cruise last fall and the kids loved it! And so did I actually I am Jill and my son is Liam 8. We will be celebrating his 8th birthday.

We were a week away from getting on the plane to Europe to cruise there but Carnival cancelled our Sunshine cruises so I had to scramble to find something for the boy since he was so disappointed. So instead of seeing Istanbul and Athens and venice and a dozen other cities we are going to Road trip to Galveston. But we are excited.

Please let me know if we can join your FE group.

Thanks a lot,

Jill neska1212
Hi Jill!
Can I please have your room number for the FE list? Thanks!
Old 04-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #464
TBMommy
Earning My Ears

I am thinking about booking on this cruise. I have a question though that I bet you all could answer for me. If I am reading it correctly, transportation to Disney World Parks with Park Hopper tickets are included for the Port Canaveral day, am I right? Anyone find out how often the transportation runs from the ship to the parks?

Thanks.
TBMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #465
BMCGUIRE
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholifield View Post
Thank you that is very kind offer. If you will provide you information we will be honored to do an exchange with your family. Sorry missed the cutoff.

Thank you,

Tim & Amy Holifield

We are all adults, so don't feel like you have to do an exchange with us (unless you really want to), it will be our pleasure to make up a giftbag for your family! :D

Do your boys have any allergies? Also what is your stateroom number (so we know where to deliver the goodies? )

Just over a month left!!!
BMCGUIRE is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: