Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
HARVEYSGIRL
Mouseketeer

School had my 11 yr old special needs son arrested

I got a phone call last Wed. telling me that my son was at the Juvenile detention facility. The elementary school had had him arrested for kicking his teacher. He suffers from epilepsy, mental retardation, and has a severe speech problem. He was having a fit in the floor and the teacher was trying to get him up. He kicked her in the chin. She pressed charges against him. Then the principal pressed charges, saying he hit her. So my mentally handicapped son has two FELONY charges of assaulting a public official against him. They told me I would be hearing from the district attorney! What really irks me is the fact that the school let my son sit in jail for 3 hours before they even called to tell me there was an issue. How can this be legal? I am no where close to finished with this. I emailed the news stations! He was the top story on FOX San Antonio last night. The special ed system is so broken. I just wanted you all to know that this could happen to your family! People need to be aware!
HARVEYSGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
Tpiejg
Mouseketeer

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your son. If you ask me it's not just Special Ed. that is messed up but the whole education system. Where has common sense gone? Hope everything turns out ok. Best of luck.
Tpiejg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
DOREEN1779
Mouseketeer

I just went to Fox and saw the clip. The way the school handled the situation from start to finish was horrible! I hope it all works out for you and your son!
DOREEN1779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

Wow! I also watched the clip and can't believe they had your son arrested. I work in a special needs classroom. Last spring, on a daily basis, I was hit, kicked, spit at, scratched, had my hair pulled, and once had a hard, metal object thrown at my face. I ended up with a bruise on my cheek, and my gum tissue was bruised. One time, the student threw a pair of scissors at me, causing a large nick on the back of my hand. These injuries were all caused by an emotionally disturbed 5-year old girl. Our staff was trained in safe restraint procedures, and we physically restrained her almost everyday. All the while, the district was trying to come up with behavior management strategies. When these failed, they began searching for an alternate placement for the child.

At no time did any of us consider filing charges, or even leaving our jobs. When you sign up to work in certain special ed. classes, there's always the possibility of being injured. If the employee doesn't like it, they can ask to be reassigned, or reconsider their career choice. To me, it's like working in a daycare and being surprised that you have to change diapers. It goes with the territory! I just heard that we might be getting another child with "volatile behavior" next week. Our staff just looked at each other and said, "Here we go again!" We'll be ready to try to help the student with his behavior and skills. However, we will not be filing charges against him!

Please keep us updated on this case. I will be interested to see how it turns out.
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
Tony NY
Mouseketeer

wow Im at a lost of word when i read this post and seeing your news clip.. omg my hart goes out to you.. I'll pray that every thing works out for your son and all the charges be droped.

CSR 9/9/12 BC 5/22-5/30 GF 7/11 6/10 Disney land 11/26 - 11/30 contemporay Contempory 09,08 Contempory resort 2007 POR2006 CB Off site 04/02/01
Tony NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry, and will pray for everyone involved, especially your child and your family.
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
Michigan
Mom of the Rolling Crew

Location: Westland, MI in the summer Clermont, FL in the Winter

Wow simply wow! Good luck in you fight for your son's justice. I hope heads roll.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

I don't disagree that there needed to be consequences for your kids actions but an arrest and charges filed? That's f-ing ridiculous. I have to agree with a PP, what the hell did this teacher think they were getting themselves into? Coloring time with the special kids? I mean...ugh..omg.. how did this teacher get through any type of training and not come to think this might happen at some point? A special needs kid isn't going to understand a "scared straight" type of punishment.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:30 AM   #9
dontthrowsand
Mouseketeer

I have never even considered pressing charges against any student let alone anything outside of our discipline plans we create with parents at the start of the year without consulting a parent first and I have had some horrible this happen. Most things are worked out with a bit of mediation and corrective action plan.

My Pre-Trip Report: August 2012
dontthrowsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:23 AM   #10
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

Clear sign of a school that has no capacity or compitency in providing FAPE for you child. In addition to a criminal attorney, find a top SPED attorney and contact the federal department of justice office of civil rights and file a complaint.

http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/lis...aints-how.html
Old 05-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #11
C&G'sMama
DIS Veteran

WTH?
My favorite was the interview with who I believe was the principal. These are the people that are educating our kids. I know there are a lot of great teachers out there but when you get the attitudes of adminstrators like this it's no wonder home schooling is on the rise. (We HS one of ours)

"Those who dance are thought mad by those who hear not the music." - Unknown
C&G'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:03 AM   #12
kamik86
DIS Veteran

Wow... maybe some of the teachers can answer this but an 11 year old is what 6th grade? I remember in high school a student punched a teacher and she got out of school suspension for a while but I don't even think she got arrested... and I don't think she was a special needs student (or if she was it she wasn't severely special needs anyway)

So now would most schools even file charges had an 11 year old without any special needs got upset and kicked a teacher?
Old 05-16-2012, 06:19 AM   #13
chicagodisneyfan
Peace
He looked ridiculous - but it gave me the giggles for a month

I support the school district in this case. He had previously hit someone and was sent home. So then he does it again?

What is a teacher supposed to do? He is 11 now - but as he ages he could do significant damage!

Teachers sacrifice a lot in their profession and they should not tolerate abuse by any student.
chicagodisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #14
becpee
I see sock puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARVEYSGIRL View Post
He was having a fit in the floor and the teacher was trying to get him up. He kicked her in the chin. She pressed charges against him. Then the principal pressed charges, saying he hit her. So my mentally handicapped son has two FELONY charges of assaulting a public official against him.
I would think the teacher trying to get him up while/very soon after fitting would not be right? Shouldn't they first be moving him into the recovery position?
Did they follow procedure? Do they have a procedure?
This just screamed at me as completely wrong from the getgo.

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

becpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:02 AM   #15
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

The principal obviosly has no effective training in special education. Did he call an IEP meeting and have the behvior plan upgraded after the first incendent, did he make sure his teachers were properly trained in when and how to apprach a child who is melting down or seizing, obviosly not or the second incedent would not have happened. No he just thought punishing a child for a manefestaion fo thier disability was the proper path. As a parnet I view this as abuse.

I think it is clear who is at fault.

Here is a quote from the newest federal resource document and the lionk to the full document

"Physical restraint or seclusion should not be used except in situations where the child’s behavior poses
imminent danger of serious physical harm to self or others and restraint and seclusion should be avoided to the greatest extent possible without endangering the safety of students and staff."

http://www2.ed.gov/policy/seclusion/...-resources.pdf

Last edited by bookwormde; 05-16-2012 at 07:22 AM.
bookwormde is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: