Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
wesjohnson
Earning My Ears

Best flight from Green Bay/Milwaukee/Chicago to Orlando

Two years ago, we flew from Milwaukee, WI to Orlando in February for about $200 each on Frontier Airlines. We are planning another trip to Disney in February, 2013, but Frontier seems to have scaled back their flights (there are none that are non-stop from MKE) and the prices are really high.

So, I'm just wondering if anyone has been able to find consistently good flights from Green Bay/Milwaukee/Ohare to MCO. Respond and let me know when you flew (what month), how much you paid per ticket, and if it was nonstop.

I'm thinking that Southwest looks pretty good out of Chicago, but they are not listing prices yet for February, 2013. I am trying to get a sense of what airlines to keep an eye on.

Thanks!
wesjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
maggiew
If she hates to be wet, then how does the survive bathing?

Southwest has a non-stop out of Milwaukee - at least for August 2012 they do.

Airtran also has some non-stops out of Milwaukee.

Maggie
Prince Sakura Hotel TDR * Marriott Residence Inn LBV Dec 2013 * Hotel Cheyenne DLPR May 2013 * Aulani July 2012 * Royal Pacific July 2011 * Pop Century Aug 2010 * Disneyland Oct 2009 * Beach Club July 2009 * AsMo Dec 2007 Mousefest! * Old Key West July 2006 * Pop Century Dec. 2005 Mousefest! * Sheraton Safari July 2005 * Pop Century/Portofino Bay Hotel August 2004 * Coronado Springs Nov 2003 * Dolphin June 2003 * POR Nov/Dec 2002 * AsMu 1999 * AsSp 1997
maggiew is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

We always fly Southwest out of Milwaukee to MCO. While GRB and ATW are half an hour away, they are consistently more than double the price. I'm not willing to pay $650 per person round trip to save myself an hour and half of driving.

I've gotten flights anywhere from $175 a person up to about $300 a person. I've flown in Jan, Feb, May, June, August, Oct and Nov to MCO.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

If you don't mind driving...Check out Allegiant Air out of Appleton. They fly into Sanford instead of MCO but in April they had flights for $57 one way. They only fly in the winter months to Orlando though just so you are aware. Super great deals.

They also fly out of Rockford, IL if you are willing to drive.

We usually fly Southwest now (we are WI-nites who just moved to Orlando in March) when we head home. We are flying home in July for under $200 a person round trip (MCO-MKE direct). Just keep your eyes out!

Also remember tickets are best priced usually 4-6 weeks out.
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
thedonduck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
tcoopman
Earning My Ears

MetJet?

I've been looking at flights from that area too. I'm in Appleton. Normally, flights from ATW go to MKE anyway so I'd just drive to Milwaukee or ask family to drop off and pick up.

However, I looked at MetJet and they have nonstop flights to MCO from Green Bay. I was looking at December 2012 dates and round trip was about $298.

I've never flown MetJet before so I can't vouch for the trip but $300 from a nearby airport would be worth it to us and it was nonstop.

It seems like MetJet is updating their reservation system so you might need to give them a call.

Good luck!
tcoopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoopman View Post
I've been looking at flights from that area too. I'm in Appleton. Normally, flights from ATW go to MKE anyway so I'd just drive to Milwaukee or ask family to drop off and pick up.

However, I looked at MetJet and they have nonstop flights to MCO from Green Bay. I was looking at December 2012 dates and round trip was about $298.

I've never flown MetJet before so I can't vouch for the trip but $300 from a nearby airport would be worth it to us and it was nonstop.

It seems like MetJet is updating their reservation system so you might need to give them a call.

Good luck!
Just be away that MetJet has been having SERIOUS issues and they haven't even started yet. They are having problems apparently with their creditor (I believe) and people who had booked in April/May were just told that they would issues a refund of their ticket. But they didn't receive anything further in form of compensations since now tickets were WAY higher than that (if any were left). Apparently they won't be booking again until after oct. Nothing against MetJet, but be sure they work things out before booking anything with them.

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/...rom-may-to-oct
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
thedonduck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

I agree about avoiding MetJet. They are NOT an airline, they are a charter operation. At least they want to be. Who knows if they will ever actually have any flights? They have been trying to get off the ground (literally) for several years.

Lots of airlines have released their flight schedules for February 2013. Did you check their flights? A quick search using Expedia of a week long trip in Feb 2013, shows you can get RT tickets from MKE-MCO for about $250.00, which isn't bad these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonduck View Post
Also remember tickets are best priced usually 4-6 weeks out.
Not true, at least not anymore.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
nilseks
DIS Veteran

You have to just watch constantly. We have flown many times and have never paid more than $200pp round trip, and we always fly non-stop. But I am psycho about airfare and I stalk the travel sites like a hawk until I see good fares.

We have had good luck with Spirit and AirTran. You can sometimes catch a good deal with American too. Just remember that Spirit charges for bags so what you might *think* is a deal really isn't once you add in those bag charges. Last December we got $59 airfare on Spirit so even with the $25 bag charge each way, we were still well under the $200pp mark.

I'm currently waiting for SW pricing to come out for this December. Fingers crossed!

Good luck!
Old 05-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
Jedimom
Mouseketeer

I've been checking prices as well for the same time period (Feb 2013) and though I'm so much closer to Appleton than Milwaukee, I'm leaning towards MKE-MCO via Southwest. It's unfortunate that we have to wait a while yet on rates, but oh well.

Allegiant (ATW-SFB) sometimes has better rates (in the low $2xx), but when you add the baggage fees ($15-$35 per bag per leg, carry-ons are $10-$35 per leg) you're closer to $3xx. On principle alone -- who doesn't hate being nickled and dimed to death? -- I'd chose Southwest.

Forgot to mention, the thing with Allegiant's flights out of Appleton is that there's not much flexibility. Arrival and departure is limited to....Tuesday, Friday, Saturday? Something like that.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimom View Post
I've been checking prices as well for the same time period (Feb 2013) and though I'm so much closer to Appleton than Milwaukee, I'm leaning towards MKE-MCO via Southwest. It's unfortunate that we have to wait a while yet on rates, but oh well.

Allegiant (ATW-SFB) sometimes has better rates (in the low $2xx), but when you add the baggage fees ($15-$35 per bag per leg, carry-ons are $10-$35 per leg) you're closer to $3xx. On principle alone -- who doesn't hate being nickled and dimed to death? -- I'd chose Southwest.

Forgot to mention, the thing with Allegiant's flights out of Appleton is that there's not much flexibility. Arrival and departure is limited to....Tuesday, Friday, Saturday? Something like that.
We don't fly Allegiant, because we can't use Magic Express. Once you add in a rental car, they really aren't that great of a deal.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #11
WhitGB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesjohnson View Post
Two years ago, we flew from Milwaukee, WI to Orlando in February for about $200 each on Frontier Airlines. We are planning another trip to Disney in February, 2013, but Frontier seems to have scaled back their flights (there are none that are non-stop from MKE) and the prices are really high.

So, I'm just wondering if anyone has been able to find consistently good flights from Green Bay/Milwaukee/Ohare to MCO. Respond and let me know when you flew (what month), how much you paid per ticket, and if it was nonstop.

I'm thinking that Southwest looks pretty good out of Chicago, but they are not listing prices yet for February, 2013. I am trying to get a sense of what airlines to keep an eye on.

Thanks!

I was looking at frontier out of MKE for a quick trip in October and they had direct flights to MCO. Play around with your days if you can, I did see it was not offered on every day and for some reason they are not flying on Friday in Oct. we were hoping to run the tower of terror at the end of the month.

We have found Frontier to be very reasonable and have usually "upgraded" one family members ticket to the ticket that has the 2 free bags...well, you pay $30 more for the ticket but it gives you the bags and the direct tv included. The tv is a god send with the kids even though they have every electronic known to mankind.

We also have done allegant since it is only 30 minutes away, they do nickel and dime you but there are times you can get good deals. 2 years ago we flew 5 people round trip for $489. It just depends if you hit it at a good time.

Good luck and if you find something good, pass the info on!

WhitGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #12
tinkmom2
DIS Veteran

Southwest is the way to go out of Milwaukee. We flew out with them last October. I was a bit aprehensive to fly Southwest because of that "Airline" show but the fares were great. We were able to book during a special and paid under $900 round trip for the 4 of us. Airtran and Southwest are soon to be the same company anyway.

I would subscribe to their website so you know when they have specials. Orlando is one of those highly traveled routes and doesn't go on sale that often but sometimes you can find deals. You can also set up airfare alerts on Trip Advisor or Kayak.

Private Meeting with Donald and Friends DCL http://youtu.be/UISHRa8lScM
BBB The Reveal http://youtu.be/AOjMTF9YBtk
tinkmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #13
2minnies
DIS Veteran

Never have paid more than $190 a ticket non stop from MKE -- traveling March, April, October, November on SW or Airtran.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:39 AM   #14
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

We like SW out of MKE, the prices are usually very close to the prices out of Midway and it's much easier for us to get in and out of Milwaukee. If you are stalking websites, pay close attention to SW in June. For the past number of years they have run a HUGE sale on their anniversary. We flew nonstop from MKE - MCO for $160 rt. Very happy with that price. Hoping they do it again, because right now the non-stops for our dates are running $500 rt

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #15
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Frontier started flying out of Madison. My ds decided to come with us on vacation at the last minute and we were able to send him to Madison and hew flew one way for $145. I didn't think that was bad for Easter Week. He flew home earlier with his sister out of Fort Lauderdale for $99 to Milwaukee with AirTran. Sometimes you have to look at surrounding cities.
OhMari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, flights, frontier, green bay, milwaukee

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: