Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #91
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSpot View Post
I haven't gone back to read the last couple pages but just got my docs for June and it still says that gratuity can be added on the ship if you choose. Nothing about auto gratuity. Also the space with gratuity recommendations was left empty this time. When does this go into effect?
What ship are you sailing on? The Magic started this last summer. The Wonder/Fantasy started this towards the end of April. It hasn't been started on the Dream as of yet.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #92
KSDisneyDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffann6 View Post
My feeling to why DCL is making this change is for the people that don't tip at all, there are those that do exist. And then I'm sure there are those that feel if they don't eat in the dining room(s) they don't need to tip. On my last cruise I did notice on on the first three nights the dining room was full and on the last night (tip night) there were quite a few empty chairs including my table.
So what would that tell ya
At first when I heard about the change I was a little offended but after thinking about it for awhile I do agree the the new policy. I would not have problem going to quest services to adjust the tip.

Sorry I don't mean to offend the non tippers out there
I agree. I also wouldn't worry about stepping on the toes of non-tippers (I'm referring to true non-tippers, not those that adjust their tips for poor service).
WDW - BCV (Jun '12) BLT (Jun '11); Boardwalk (Sep '10); Poly (Aug '07), CR (Nov '06), AKL (Nov '04, Sept '06), Swan (Dec '05), POR (Dec '98, Mar '10), POFQ (Mar '05), CSR (Nov '02), CBR (Jun '03), Sports (Dec99, Oct '01, Dec '02), Music (Aug '09), Movies (Dec '00, Aug '07), Pop (Jun '04 Jun '05)
DLR - August 2008 and January 2013 at DLH
DCL Gold CC Member: Magic Western (Sep-05, Sep-06); Magic Panama Canal Repo (Aug-08); Wonder 4-night (Mar-10 and Sept-10) Fantasy Eastern (Jun-12)

Next Trip: 6/15/2013 - 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy and BLT!
KSDisneyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2012, 06:37 AM   #93
FINNZUP
Always planning the next Disney Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
What ship are you sailing on? The Magic started this last summer. The Wonder/Fantasy started this towards the end of April. It hasn't been started on the Dream as of yet.
Actually, my Dream cruise documents (the spiral booklet) states that you can "pre-pay gratuities for your party up to three days before your vacation begins. Please contact your travel agent to make payment arrangements. If you do not choose to pre-pay your gratuities, for your convenience, the standard gratuity amounts, based on the length of your voyage, will be added to your on board account as shown in the table below" It goes on to state gratuity suggestions and notes that you can modify, or make changes to stop at GS.

We leave next Sunday...The Dream IS auto billing for tipping.

DVC Member since 2006~SSR
WDW - too many times to count
WDW - 2003
WDW - 2004 - Wilderness Lodge
WDW - 2006 - Wilderness Lodge
WDW - 2008 - Saratoga Springs
WDW - 2009 - Saratoga Springs
WDW - 2011 - BayLake Tower and Disney Dream
WDW- 2012 - Baylake Tower, Disney Dream and Animal Kindgom Lodge
DL-2012 -DisneyLand Hotel
FINNZUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #94
dvcdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
This has been discussed so many times here on the DIS board. The servers are exceedingly busy on the last morning. They are multiple groups of people to serve breakfast and to then get ready for the next shipful of cruisers. They don't have time to chit chat on that last morning.
I guess we were lucky because when we went to our early breakfast on the last morning our servers (both main and assistant) were very excited to see us and had lots of time to speak to us and even take some photos. They even walked us out. The kids loved them. Now this could be that it was only us and one other family that came.

Also, I only gave a few dollars extra in tip and just to the main server. Our assistant server was having so much trouble but he was trying so hard so I just gave him the standard amount. I have a feeling that the other families didn't tip him very well. I think the difference in the enthusiasm and care by the servers are all in their personality.

Our Head server didn't come over. I didn't expect him to because we only saw him for 5 secs at the beginning of the cruise and then a few mins during the last dinner. I know they do things behind the scenes but honestly, Ididn't particularly think he did anything for us because our Main server handled any issues with the assistant. She would emphasize that if we had any problems to please, please speak to her, she didn't want him to get in trouble. She spent a lot of time running around doing part of his job in the beginning, but by the end, he was getting better. And as I said, he was trying. He wasn't the quickest person, but he did try. So we were more patient with him.

I didn't name the assistant server in the survey at the end, but I definitely named our Main server as well as a few others that seemed to go above and beyond.
dvcdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #95
SweetSpot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNZUP View Post
Actually, my Dream cruise documents (the spiral booklet) states that you can "pre-pay gratuities for your party up to three days before your vacation begins. Please contact your travel agent to make payment arrangements. If you do not choose to pre-pay your gratuities, for your convenience, the standard gratuity amounts, based on the length of your voyage, will be added to your on board account as shown in the table below" It goes on to state gratuity suggestions and notes that you can modify, or make changes to stop at GS.

Mine says the same thing. We are sailing on the Magic in June.
SweetSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #96
LuAnimal
Mouseketeer

I'm curious how they handle a party like us, there are 8 of us, 4 adults and 4 children in 2 staterooms. One adult has no children, one has 2 in 2 different staterooms and the last 2 adults have children in their own stateroom. Not all children have onboard charging benefits, so how do they know whom to charge the tips to??
LuAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #97
trimix
DIS Veteran

Tipping will be done by cabin, not by person. If there are four people in each stateroom, the first person in each stateroom reservation will have all tips applied to their account.

When my cruise sails, tips for all four people in my cabin will be applied to my account.

Disneyland more times than I can count.
WDW 8/2008
Disney Magic - Western Caribbean 8/2009
Disney Wonder - West Coast repo 4/2011
trimix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #98
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuAnimal View Post
I'm curious how they handle a party like us, there are 8 of us, 4 adults and 4 children in 2 staterooms. One adult has no children, one has 2 in 2 different staterooms and the last 2 adults have children in their own stateroom. Not all children have onboard charging benefits, so how do they know whom to charge the tips to??
The tips are added to the account for each room, by guest. So, however each person has their account set up on their KTTW card, that's where the tip goes for each person.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #99
LuAnimal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
The tips are added to the account for each room, by guest. So, however each person has their account set up on their KTTW card, that's where the tip goes for each person.

But most of the kids have no charging priviledges, how do they know which child belongs to who?
Old 05-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #100
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But most of the kids have no charging priviledges, how do they know which child belongs to who?
When you do your checkin you specify which people are being covered by what type of payment (credit card, cash, etc).

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #101
LuAnimal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimix View Post
Tipping will be done by cabin, not by person. If there are four people in each stateroom, the first person in each stateroom reservation will have all tips applied to their account.

When my cruise sails, tips for all four people in my cabin will be applied to my account.
That's not good at all...I guess we'll be calling Disney ASAP and prepay the tips.

Thanks!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #102
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
Did you ever speak with your Head Server of this issue? This was definately a time when the HS should have been brought up to speed with an issue with the server.
No I did not since I was sitting with the sign language interpreters and they handled the situation. Since I am fluent in sign even though I tend to be oral in most situations it worked for me.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #103
Floridagram
DIS Veteran

Quote:

you would definitely want to call DCL now or do it when you check in or go to guest services before the end of the cruise.

We had 2 of our grandchildren in our cabin and did not think of it until the tickets were delivered to us to pass out. My daughter just paid me cash and we let it go to my state room because we did not want to go to guest services at that point in the cruise.
Carnival Holiday-1992,NCL Norway-1996,Carnival Ecstasy-1998,Carnival Tropicale-1999,RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001,RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2004,HAL Zuiderdam-2004,HAL Westerdam-February 2007,Disney Magic-April 2007.Carnival Liberty-May 2008,DCL Fantasy- May 2012, CCL Freedom-Aug 2012, DCL Fantasy April 2013,NCL Jewel-Aug 2014, DCL Wonder Sept. 2014
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:42 AM   #104
KimRaye
DIS Sponsor*Silver
Still a Late Nite DISer
Just a simple hello
Enjoys a good Yankee Candle night

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNZUP View Post

Would there be any way to get a list of that table? I am wondering how much to budget for tips for my teen daughter & I, sailing on the Dream in August (1st timers). Thanks!

KimRaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:08 AM   #105
dizney-cruiser
DiZney CraZy ºoº
we dont want no stinkin snow in NJ!!

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimRaye View Post
Would there be any way to get a list of that table? I am wondering how much to budget for tips for my teen daughter & I, sailing on the Dream in August (1st timers). Thanks!

It is $12 a day for 2 people.

You can always check at the "tip calculator": http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

dizney-cruiser
(Janice)

2004 (Wonder); 2006 (Magic); 2007 (Wonder);
2008 (Magic Double Dip); 2010 (Magic Double Dip); 2011 (Dream B2B);
2012 (Fantasy B2B); 2013 (Fantasy); 2014 (Fantasy);

2015 (B2B Fantasy!)
dizney-cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: