Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #76
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterOJ View Post
Me either. Like I said, I was just playing devil's advocate. If someone doesn't use the dining rooms, I don't think they should be expected to tip.

I have always used them, though, and have tipped accordingly.
You don't specifically tip the fast food counters for that service, but you should be absolutely expected to tip even if you don't use the dining rooms for every meal. Just like the taxicab example.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #77
Minnie Monellen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartDM View Post
This type is exactly why they need to automatically include the tips

We've been on many cruises and I'm fine with automatic tipping. It makes my life easier and I know the staff (dining room, quick service, staterooms, all of them!) are working exceptionally hard to make sure my cruise is enjoyable - they have some of the hardest jobs around. I can't fathom what it must feel like when they realize someone didn't do right by them.

There would have to be a seriously egregious problem that wasn't resolved when I reported it to management or guest services for me to even consider adjusting a tip. It seems to me that in many of these cases where people try to justify removing/reducing their tip, they didn't try very hard (or at all) to get the problem resolved, which leads me to wonder if they went into it looking for any infraction as justification for removing a tip that they simply didn't want to pay.
Or they just didn't want to pay the gratuity since it was not a mandatory charge. I'm surprised that people have posted that aren't fans of the MDR's. So since you can't eat in Palo or Remy each evening, you'd rather eat fast food or at the buffet? For me part of the experience of the cruise is eating dinner in the MDR.
Minnie Monellen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #78
The Rainbow
Earning My Raindrops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melcatfish View Post

Seriously, a quick google search (can't verify the stats at great speed) says there are 738 million people who live in Europe. In the USA there are apparently 311 million people. Your question is a bit broad don't you think? I have travelled with some amazingly lovely Americans, and also encountered a fair few who I wished were not stuck on a ship in the middle of the ocean with me! I would hazard a guess that there are lots of Europeans who you would enjoy travelling with and some who you would not.
I apologize if I've offended someone, that was not my intention. But I have heard from friends that the visitors to Disneyland Paris are so different from the visitors to Disney World. They are impatient in the queues. They like to push their way in front and are rude towards other visitors. They told me this about people from France, Italy and Spain. Have you never experienced such behavior? I would be glad to hear so, because I am really interested in going on a vacation to Europe.
The Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #79
xcitedtogo
Earning My Ears

From our experience, I was unsure about the automatic tipping especially for the kids..really what were they getting out of it. So I have to eat crow because not only did the server/asst server get their due, they received more and I was also unsure about the head server but he (Fitz) was super fantastic!!!

I think the encounter with the European culture is what is normal in Europe. From our travels ( not being stereotypical just trying to be honest) we have noticed that the nice line North Americans are used to standing in at a buffet or such is not what is the Norm in Europe. People are constantly "budding" in our eyes but really, that is normal for them. We have taken enough trips to realize we are the ones with the problem, once we figured that out, what came off as rude became accepted and normal for us too!!

Remember, relax you are actually on vacation...worry about your own family and how you are going to approach things and do not worry about what is normal in Europe/South America or wherever...worry about how you raise your own children and your own behaviour...it is way easier!!!

Cheers!!
xcitedtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #80
annichan
There's a platypus controlling me, he's underneath the table

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainbow View Post
I apologize if I've offended someone, that was not my intention. But I have heard from friends that the visitors to Disneyland Paris are so different from the visitors to Disney World. They are impatient in the queues. They like to push their way in front and are rude towards other visitors. They told me this about people from France, Italy and Spain. Have you never experienced such behavior? I would be glad to hear so, because I am really interested in going on a vacation to Europe.
(Sorry, venturing off-topic for a moment just in reply to The Rainbow's post ...)

I can't speak for my millions of fellow Europeans (), but I certainly wasn't offended by your post! It did come across as a bit of a generalization that made me chuckle (thus my own reply to your post, about a page back), but I don't feel like you actually tread on any toes, so don't worry!

About your plans for a vacation in Europe: I would go ahead and do it, and I am sure you will have lots of fun. That said, I would indeed advise any American to expect less of the behavour that is considered polite where you come from, and not to be offended easily when encountering behaviour that you consider as rude - it is often just in the culture, and not meant to be rude at all!

Take the standing in line - you are completely correct, many mainland Europeans are no good at it, and I fear that we Germans (often to my shame) are the worst of them. It is honestly not meant to be rude - it is just that nobody ever actually expects anybody else to form a line, so everybody is trying to find a place near the front. I don't particularly like it myself, but there you go. A good way to go would be to not expect anybody else to line up, and just expect a general rush to the front. Just move forward firmly but without hurting anybody, and you will be fine .

(And once you've had enough of that kind of behavour, be sure to pop over to Great Britain - finally some people who know how to stand in line! )

2005: It all started with DLP Disneyland Paris (3 nights) / 2009: Honeymoon at Wilderness Lodge (15 nights)
2010: Magic Western Caribbean, then BCV (11 nights) / 2011: Magic Mediterranean Cruise (Magic, 11 nights)
2011: Our return to Disneyland Resort Paris (4 nights) / August 2012: NYC to Castaway Cay and Canada (B2B, Magic, 13 nights)
2013: Westbound Panama Canal Cruise (Wonder, 14 nights) + 3 days at Disneyland / 2014: Westbound Transatlantic and Southern Caribbean (B2B, Magic, 21 nights)

annichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #81
BethA
DIS Veteran

We tip extra when we get excellent service and twice out of15 cruises tipped less. Once we never saw the head waiter until time to collect the tip and the other was an asst server who was just not good. We assessed it right away but the server and head waiter picked up the slack. She never got better. I can see it being a problem if service is not good
BethA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #82
Floridagram
DIS Veteran

I agree that service would decline if tips were included in the fare. On several previous cruises (on other lines) we would give out tips on the last night and then go to breakfast this last morning and the service was non existent. The servers acted as if they did not even know us. We always tip more than suggested and after that we wanted to take it back.

Interestingly enough we did not see the head server Saturday morning... maybe he had other duties to get ready for the next cruise but he sure made himself visible all week before he got the tip. (And he did assist at times to make our service better.)

I really don't get all the controversy over this. I was happy that it was added to my account and one less thing I had to worry about. We get reward points on our cc so it was a few more points we got. It was less cash I had to carry. I just added a bit more to the envelopes as I saw fit.

Main thing is you are going on a great vacation and we should not sweat the small stuff...
Carnival Holiday-1992,NCL Norway-1996,Carnival Ecstasy-1998,Carnival Tropicale-1999,RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001,RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2004,HAL Zuiderdam-2004,HAL Westerdam-February 2007,Disney Magic-April 2007.Carnival Liberty-May 2008,DCL Fantasy- May 2012, CCL Freedom-Aug 2012, DCL Fantasy April 2013,NCL Jewel-Aug 2014, DCL Wonder Sept. 2014
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #83
Floridagram
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annichan View Post
(Sorry, venturing off-topic for a moment just in reply to The Rainbow's post ...)

I can't speak for my millions of fellow Europeans (), but I certainly wasn't offended by your post! It did come across as a bit of a generalization that made me chuckle (thus my own reply to your post, about a page back), but I don't feel like you actually tread on any toes, so don't worry!

About your plans for a vacation in Europe: I would go ahead and do it, and I am sure you will have lots of fun. That said, I would indeed advise any American to expect less of the behavour that is considered polite where you come from, and not to be offended easily when encountering behaviour that you consider as rude - it is often just in the culture, and not meant to be rude at all!

Take the standing in line - you are completely correct, many mainland Europeans are no good at it, and I fear that we Germans (often to my shame) are the worst of them. It is honestly not meant to be rude - it is just that nobody ever actually expects anybody else to form a line, so everybody is trying to find a place near the front. I don't particularly like it myself, but there you go. A good way to go would be to not expect anybody else to line up, and just expect a general rush to the front. Just move forward firmly but without hurting anybody, and you will be fine .

(And once you've had enough of that kind of behavour, be sure to pop over to Great Britain - finally some people who know how to stand in line! )
I love your sense of humor! We lived in Germany in the 70's as part of the US military. We never felt as the people were rude and always were mindful that we were guests in their country.

While there we drove to Paris and had our car broken into and a policeman direct us in the wrong direction. (we were with someone who spoke French)
I did not have such a good impression of the French.

In 1998 I had the opportunity for a free trip to Paris so of course I went. I NEVER felt unwelcome and I actually felt like some people went out of their way to assist me.

I am in my late 50's now and life experience has taught me that there are all kinds of people in the world. You will find rude and unfriendly people in all races and nationalities. I say go to Europe if you have the chance. And don't waste your time at Disney. There are so many priceless treasures there to see and experience.

And if you go please remember you are their guest and should go to by their customs. And remember you are a representative of the US. So many foreigners have a bad impression of Americans and rightfully so. I have seen many people be obnoxious to and in front of foreigners in the Orlando area. I personally try to mind my P's and Q's and act better than normal in front of them.
Carnival Holiday-1992,NCL Norway-1996,Carnival Ecstasy-1998,Carnival Tropicale-1999,RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001,RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2004,HAL Zuiderdam-2004,HAL Westerdam-February 2007,Disney Magic-April 2007.Carnival Liberty-May 2008,DCL Fantasy- May 2012, CCL Freedom-Aug 2012, DCL Fantasy April 2013,NCL Jewel-Aug 2014, DCL Wonder Sept. 2014
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #84
KSDisneyDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridagram View Post
Main thing is you are going on a great vacation and we should not sweat the small stuff...

We tell ourselves each trip how fortunate we are to be able to enjoy such wonderful holidays!
WDW - BCV (Jun '12) BLT (Jun '11); Boardwalk (Sep '10); Poly (Aug '07), CR (Nov '06), AKL (Nov '04, Sept '06), Swan (Dec '05), POR (Dec '98, Mar '10), POFQ (Mar '05), CSR (Nov '02), CBR (Jun '03), Sports (Dec99, Oct '01, Dec '02), Music (Aug '09), Movies (Dec '00, Aug '07), Pop (Jun '04 Jun '05)
DLR - August 2008 and January 2013 at DLH
DCL Gold CC Member: Magic Western (Sep-05, Sep-06); Magic Panama Canal Repo (Aug-08); Wonder 4-night (Mar-10 and Sept-10) Fantasy Eastern (Jun-12)

Next Trip: 6/15/2013 - 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy and BLT!
KSDisneyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #85
Melcatfish
In full planning mode!
Just one more victim of a drive-by tag attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainbow View Post
No offence taken. I have had similar experiences at Disneyland Paris and I would say that queuing or waiting in line is something that is very different in different places. As you may know we Brits are famed for our queuing and it is true to say that this is not something that everyone does.

To be honest I MUCH prefer WDW to Disneyland Paris and although there are many reasons one of them is that the queue\line management is definitely better in WDW. Having said that Disneyland Resort PAris is much imporved on it's opening seasons when characters turned up and there was a bundle to see them!

Equally queuing for the Vatican in Rome the queue was orderly and there was no pushing and shoving. So sometimes they do it well and other times not so much.

I was being tongue in cheek with my reply - there are an awful lot Europeans and some will be better travelling companions than others and the same applies to Americans!

I am sure you will have a wonderful time vacationing in Europe, read lots, take the advice but don't feel that everything you read is gospel truth. For example I am always amazed by the number of Americans posting about their fear of pick pockets in Barcelona when they live their day to day lives in a country with high gun and knife crime stats - it pays to be alert to danger when in unfamiliar settings but you don't want to spend your trip in fear that is disproportionate to the threat!

Lastly if you remember that different isn't wrong, it is just different then you will enjoy all that Europe has to offer. Once again, I hope you understood my post was meant to highlight that there are masses of people who are all individuals and it is impossible to make sweeping statements that are really accurate, it was tongue in cheek and I wouldn't want you to think I was really offended!

Mel
x
Melcatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #86
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusingFamily4 View Post
I have been on quite a few cruises (not with Disney) but have always done the envelope thing with cash. (My last cruise was in 2006, so obviously things have changed!) I stated how I feel, and do not feel the need to justify myself. In the end... unless the service was absolutely horrible... my servers/team will get at least the recommended amount (quite possibly more thanks to great service and my young kids) as your team will. Your way/my way... truly doesn't matter. I prefer cash in envelopes (partly because it is cheaper due to the higher exchange rate on my Canadian credit cards). I will not need to go to guest services twice. I will simply go on the first day, remove my tips, and hopefully book tea with the princesses.
don't know if this will ever help you but BMO offers a U.S. credit card that works amazingly for us. we pay for our trip with it, our flights (we fly out of the u.s. as its much much cheaper) anything we charge on board. well, for us its the answer. we pay the cc bill using the u.s. money we have in our u.s. acct.
don't know if you are interested but thought i would let you know about it.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #87
jeffann6
Earning My Ears

Talking Lets Be Honest Here

My feeling to why DCL is making this change is for the people that don't tip at all, there are those that do exist. And then I'm sure there are those that feel if they don't eat in the dining room(s) they don't need to tip. On my last cruise I did notice on on the first three nights the dining room was full and on the last night (tip night) there were quite a few empty chairs including my table.
So what would that tell ya
At first when I heard about the change I was a little offended but after thinking about it for awhile I do agree the the new policy. I would not have problem going to quest services to adjust the tip.

Sorry I don't mean to offend the non tippers out there

Last edited by jeffann6; 05-15-2012 at 05:55 PM.
jeffann6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #88
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridagram View Post
I agree that service would decline if tips were included in the fare. On several previous cruises (on other lines) we would give out tips on the last night and then go to breakfast this last morning and the service was non existent. The servers acted as if they did not even know us. We always tip more than suggested and after that we wanted to take it back.

Interestingly enough we did not see the head server Saturday morning... maybe he had other duties to get ready for the next cruise but he sure made himself visible all week before he got the tip. (And he did assist at times to make our service better.)

I really don't get all the controversy over this. I was happy that it was added to my account and one less thing I had to worry about. We get reward points on our cc so it was a few more points we got. It was less cash I had to carry. I just added a bit more to the envelopes as I saw fit.

This has been discussed so many times here on the DIS board. The servers are exceedingly busy on the last morning. They are multiple groups of people to serve breakfast and to then get ready for the next shipful of cruisers. They don't have time to chit chat on that last morning.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #89
SweetSpot
DIS Veteran

I haven't gone back to read the last couple pages but just got my docs for June and it still says that gratuity can be added on the ship if you choose. Nothing about auto gratuity. Also the space with gratuity recommendations was left empty this time. When does this go into effect?
SweetSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #90
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
This has been discussed so many times here on the DIS board. The servers are exceedingly busy on the last morning. They are multiple groups of people to serve breakfast and to then get ready for the next shipful of cruisers. They don't have time to chit chat on that last morning.
And a good number of them were up at 5 am to clear customs/immigration before reporting for work, after, probably, being up really late the night before finishing up dinner service.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: