Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #166
mickeyfan1
Come and let me show you my tatoo
Let me drive you crazy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chateau View Post
I just wonder if taxes are paid on these automatic tips. I don't put tips on my credit card at restaurants, rather tip in cash, allowing the server to decide what they wish to claim. There's a record when it's done on paper. I always appreciated a handshake with a big bill palmed to me when I was in the industry! "Palming" should've been my screen name... one of the best things that ever happened to me was due to palming (a note in this case)!
If you mean US taxes, no. THe ship is registered in the Bahaas, the CMs are almost all foreign residents, they are not taxed by the US.

At to the amount, I believe it is still $12.00 per person (including children and infants) per day. THe actual break down is in your final paperwork, and I believe it is also in the FAQ sticky on the top of the board.
mickeyfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #167
ratt1345
Always wishing I was Disney cruisin'!!!

Forgive me for not reading all 12 pages, but I am limited in my time right now. If I read it right on the first page, this automatic tipping thing is a result of people not tipping at all. I think that is wrong!!!! Unless you got just down right horrible service all around, then you should tip. I am with the crowd that tips based on service. The better the service, the better the tip.

With that all said, the ones you should be upset with are not the people at DCL, but the people who don't tip. I can see why DCL did this. If the people that work on the ship are like waiters and waitresses, tips are money they rely on. So, if there are people out there stiffing the staff for the work they did, DCL had to do something. Most, if not all, work very hard to make your ship experience a memorable one.
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #168
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seo31 View Post
Does anyone have the standard amount your onboard account was charged for tipping on the 7 day Eastern or Western Caribbean for 2 adults/2 children? I want to make my calculations are accurate for budgeting reasons. Thank you!
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/fa...es/gratuities/
Old 07-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #169
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfan1 View Post
If you mean US taxes, no. THe ship is registered in the Bahaas, the CMs are almost all foreign residents, they are not taxed by the US.

At to the amount, I believe it is still $12.00 per person (including children and infants) per day. THe actual break down is in your final paperwork, and I believe it is also in the FAQ sticky on the top of the board.
Yes, $12 per guest per day (regardless of age). The breakdown is: $4 per day for your server; $3 per day for your assistant server; $1 per day for your head server; and $4 per day for your room host.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #170
LunaCup
1 cruise away from Gold Castaway Club Membership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doris1976 View Post
Not a fan and haven't since I first encountered it on another cruise line in 2000. Believe it diminishes the level of service if the tip is already a forgone conclusion.
I have never felt like the service I have received on any of the Disney ships has been diminished. If anything I am always pleasantly surprised at the level of quality service I receive considering that the staff works breakfast, lunch, and dinner 7 days a week for several weeks in a row.

The staff work harder than most people I know and even if they received a not so nice tip on the cruise before yours they are still smiling at you when you get on the boat for the first time. They are choosing to be away from their families only to send money back home. IMO I think $12 a day is nothing compared to the service you receive and I always leave extra. Just don't forget that they are people too. Imagine if you had an off day and your boss adjusted your paycheck for it. I'm sure I am going to get flamed for that but oh well. I know that some of you may think DCL should be paying them more but the reality is that they aren't and that is probably not going to change.

DCL:
Disney Magic Aug. '08 7 night
Disney Wonder Mar. '07 4 night
Disney Wonder May '07 3 night
Disney Wonder Sept. '08 3 night
LunaCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #171
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaCup View Post
I have never felt like the service I have received on any of the Disney ships has been diminished. If anything I am always pleasantly surprised at the level of quality service I receive considering that the staff works breakfast, lunch, and dinner 7 days a week for several weeks in a row.

The staff work harder than most people I know and even if they received a not so nice tip on the cruise before yours they are still smiling at you when you get on the boat for the first time. They are choosing to be away from their families only to send money back home. IMO I think $12 a day is nothing compared to the service you receive and I always leave extra. Just don't forget that they are people too. Imagine if you had an off day and your boss adjusted your paycheck for it. I'm sure I am going to get flamed for that but oh well. I know that some of you may think DCL should be paying them more but the reality is that they aren't and that is probably not going to change.
No flames here. I absolutely agree!

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #172
mom+3girls
DIS Veteran

I would like to ask for those that have cruised on any of the Disney ships if you feel the automatic tipping has caused the level of service to go down?

I like to tip on the level of service, I don't mind it being automically charged but would have a problem if the level of service has gone down because now they know they will be getting a tip regardless.

How does one increase the tip for someone that goes above and beyond now?
mom+3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #173
davmill
Mouseketeer

This is my biggest complaint against tipping period. These people, or any in the service industry, do not work for me. They work for whomever hired them and those people should pay them a decent enough salary so that they don't have to depend on tips to make a decent wage. I don't think prices would go up on very much if they actually paid their workers a decent wage. I don't tip unless the service is very good, not just because society thinks they are supposed to.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #174
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom+3girls View Post
I would like to ask for those that have cruised on any of the Disney ships if you feel the automatic tipping has caused the level of service to go down?

I like to tip on the level of service, I don't mind it being automically charged but would have a problem if the level of service has gone down because now they know they will be getting a tip regardless.

How does one increase the tip for someone that goes above and beyond now?
They are not getting the tip regardless.

DCL is adding the tips to your onboard account as a convience. If you don't wish to tip, just to to Guest Services and remove the tip. It's still your choice to tip on DCL.

Other cruiselines have a charge (Hotel Sevice Charge, or something like that). That is obligatory. You can still remove those charges from those accounts, but it requires an explanation as to why you are removing them. Not on DCL. But even there, the gratuties that are part of the service charge are not given to the people receiving them until the end of the cruise. So, even then, they do not know for sure they are getting them.

As to service going down, I've not noticed that the service on DCL has suffered in any way.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #175
bridget
DIS Veteran

We were with a group with 4 rooms and it was our 5th Disney cruise. We thought the service on the Dream was great, and it was very convenient to have the tip added!! We added extra cash to the envelopes There were no complaints in our group; in fact we felt like it saved us quite a bit of time!

We are also a family with major allergy issues, and I know how hard the head waiter and our wait staff work to keep our family safe when we travel.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #176
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom+3girls View Post
I'm a big believer that your experience is usually what you expect it to be. We expect to have a wonderful cruise, with great service, and we ALWAYS get that. We treat the CMs with respect, don't expect them to be our servants, and are genuinely interested in their well being. They return that in spades. It's easy. I've seen some pretty inconsiderate guests with strange requests (really demands), and feel so sorry for the servers.

No, the level of service has not gone down. The Golden Rule works like a charm on the cruises...what goes around comes around.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #177
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

The servers do not know if the tip has automatically been added or not. So no, service has not gone down.

If Disney paid everybody an appropriate wage, lots of people could not afford to cruise at all. I would be more than happy to have it changed to a service charge and added to everybody. We have never cruised and not added additional money.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #178
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by davmill View Post
This is my biggest complaint against tipping period. These people, or any in the service industry, do not work for me. They work for whomever hired them and those people should pay them a decent enough salary so that they don't have to depend on tips to make a decent wage. I don't think prices would go up on very much if they actually paid their workers a decent wage. I don't tip unless the service is very good, not just because society thinks they are supposed to.
This is the way it has always been the in the cruise industry and the food service industry (waiters, waitresses, etc.).

I do think the prices would go up substantially if the wage structure was changed. While I fully appreciate and respect how hard the crew works, they were not forced into this job...they knew what they are getting into and they are not working on a slave ship.

The system works.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #179
LunaCup
1 cruise away from Gold Castaway Club Membership!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
I'm a big believer that your experience is usually what you expect it to be. We expect to have a wonderful cruise, with great service, and we ALWAYS get that. We treat the CMs with respect, don't expect them to be our servants, and are genuinely interested in their well being. They return that in spades. It's easy. I've seen some pretty inconsiderate guests with strange requests (really demands), and feel so sorry for the servers.

No, the level of service has not gone down. The Golden Rule works like a charm on the cruises...what goes around comes around.
I agree 100% with everything you said here.

DCL:
Disney Magic Aug. '08 7 night
Disney Wonder Mar. '07 4 night
Disney Wonder May '07 3 night
Disney Wonder Sept. '08 3 night
LunaCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:32 AM   #180
navywifetill2002
Mouseketeer

CCL was doing auto-grat 10 years ago

I have not talked DH into a Disney crusie yet but our first cruise was CCL in 2002 and the "tips" were automatic then. We've since made 2 trips on NCL and a 2nd on CCL and both lines as well as all 4 different ships had automatic tipping. Since we knew this we actually pre-paid them once so we'd have less of a charge on our sail and sign card. Our last cruise we had a wonderful head waiter and room steward and we tipped both extra on our last day (cash so we didn't have to mess with the front desk).
navywifetill2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: