Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #151
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

If they read the paper in the room, and are bound and determined not to tip, then they will go to GS and have the tips removed. It's not going to stop anyone whose intent is to not leave any tips at all.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #152
KimRaye
DIS Sponsor*Silver
Still a Late Nite DISer
Just a simple hello
Enjoys a good Yankee Candle night

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
I relies that but how many people who intend to not tip do you think go down to guest services and have it removed
Every single one of them!

KimRaye is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #153
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
but what more can they do?
They could not put charges on my account that I have not authorized. They could not use their standard "for my convenience" excuse that is not true.

This is caused by inconsiderate guests who stiff the servers. I understand. But I still do not appreciate receiving a charge I did not authorize and being given a reason that is not true.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #154
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

I suppose, anyone adamantly opposed to tipping, won't have a problem removing them. Although, automatic tipping, might result in smaller gratuities for standout service. I always, tend to add extra, if I'm filling out the paperwork. IMO

I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy.
I'll think about that tomorrow.....After all, tomorrow is another day"
Scarlett O'Hara
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #155
mickeyfan1
Come and let me show you my tatoo
Let me drive you crazy.....

I am glad they have done this. I believe when I sign the contract, I am authorizing DCL to charge things to my account, which is why I give a CC number to them. I know that I can leave a cash deposit, should I not want to use a CC. I will not go to guest services to remove or add to the standard tip, I will bring cash enough to cover what extra I might want to add, that cash goes into the little envelope along with the ticket from DCL. I have cruised enough to have a good idea of what the extra amount will be, too. I know there are some people who will remove the auto tip and not pay a single cent, because they are not only cheap, but treat the crew like crap the entire cruise. There are people who would "forget" to tip but since it is already done, the won't be bothered to take them off the account. I don't know if tipping will ever go away, this is a hot button topic on many oher cruise discussion boards. The same things are brought up all the time. Different ships, same dicussions.
mickeyfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #156
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

We like the automatic tipping. We had it previously on Princess. We were on the Fantasy last week, but didn't realize we were supposed to give the other half of the voucher to our servers. They still get credit, right? Admittedly, it did feel awkward that my FIL handed out envelopes, as well as the other table assigned to our servers, and we did not. But our tips were on auto-pilot.
texasgirl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:52 AM   #157
Alfiebookshop
Earning My Ears

I was new to cruising and being a Brit, fairly new to tipping! I didn't mind this system it was certainly hassle free however I felt a little awkward just handing out an envelope with a slip of paper giving out the standard amounts - it did feel a bit like a service charge rather than tipping. I know we could have given extra but whilst service was excellent I don't think it was exceptional! But being British, perhaps we're just tight!
Alfiebookshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #158
DreamGirl90
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
They could not put charges on my account that I have not authorized. They could not use their standard "for my convenience" excuse that is not true.

This is caused by inconsiderate guests who stiff the servers. I understand. But I still do not appreciate receiving a charge I did not authorize and being given a reason that is not true.
Let me first say that with the exception of the one time I had an inexcusably incompetent server, I have always tipped very generously and been happy to do so. I strongly object to their new policy however. The problem I have with it is not so much that they automatically charge my card with the recommended amount, it is WHEN they charge it, the first day I board the ship, long before the services have been rendered. To me it is akin to walking into a land-based restaurant and before even being seated, handing over the gratuity to the host and saying, "This is for the service I hope to receive."

If they are going to have auto-gratuities, I think on the next to last night a letter should appear in the room stating that automatic gratuities will be applied the next evening and to contact guest services for any adjustments to the amount. Forget "convenience." To me, that would be the most "fair" for everyone concerned. Otherwise, stop calling it a gratuity and include it up front in the price of the cruise as a "service charge," which is what it amounts to the way they do it now.
DreamGirl90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #159
mickeyfan1
Come and let me show you my tatoo
Let me drive you crazy.....

You do realize that the tip is mot paid to the CM until after you leave the ship? After the first night you can go to guest services and remove it from your stateroom account. It isn't charged to your CC one day one..
mickeyfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #160
johnlatte
Mouseketeer

Most cruise lines call it a service charge. I think that Disney is just now catching up to the rest of the industry. If you want to remove it no big, I'm sure the folks at GS won't have a problem with it as long as you are standing in front of them. To me that's just a bit cheap. Last year on the med cruise I talked to a server (they are not allowed to talk about this but...) who said they got stiffed a lot on the Baltic cruises and that the crew was complaining a lot to DCL about it.

I know that lots of people think that the servers ought to bring them their meals on the royal platter served with large amounts of pixie dust and make just the perfect Mickey face the the prince and princesses ketchup, before they see a dime in "tips". But in all honesty, as long as they keep their thumbs out of the food and don't spill anything on me, that's fine. I'm not forging long lasting relationships with them. Housekeepers, just keep me in towels, make the bed and keep the ice bucket full. We'll get along just fine and there will be a little sumpin sumpin in the envelope at the end of the trip.
2011 - DCL Magic - Mediterranean
2010 - DCL Magic - N. Europe Repo
2008 - NCL Pride of America - Hawaii
2007 - DCL Wonder - Caribbean

"Sounds like it is a floating Toon Town with nothing but screaming kids and characters. " - Anonymous
johnlatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #161
DreamGirl90
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfan1 View Post
You do realize that the tip is mot paid to the CM until after you leave the ship? After the first night you can go to guest services and remove it from your stateroom account. It isn't charged to your CC one day one..
Yes, of course I realize that. However, it is placed on the room account immediately after boarding, as a charge. I see no logical reason for doing so at THAT time.

I would never have it removed because, as I said, provided service is not dreadful, I am an excellent tipper and go WAY above their recommended. In fact, I DO forge "relationships" of a sort with my servers and room host, requesting them repeatedly when they are available. What I object to is the "Step on the ship, now we add the auto-gratuities to your account" method. That is not something the service team itself is doing, so I have no ill feelings towards them about it. I simply think DCL should NOT charge auto-gratuities to one's account the moment you step aboard, and that if they are going to, stop calling it a "gratuity" and call it what it is. Webster's definition of gratuity: "Something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service." A gratuity is not something that is charged to your account in advance of services that can you can later adjust. If you ask DCL, they will tell you that auto-gratuities are charged to your account on the first day but can later be adjusted. I only know that when one's key card account charges reach a certain amount (Is it $200 or so?), the CC is charged. I am not nit-picking about on what day the gratuity is paid by my CC, but on what day the charge is placed on my room account. That is what makes it an "advanced service charge" in my mind.
DreamGirl90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #162
eleclips
Earning My Ears

If I am not mistaken, Royal Caribbean is the only line that does not automatically charge gratuities. They are only prepaid if you have 'My Time Dining'.
eleclips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #163
seo31
Earning My Ears

Tip amount on 7 day Fantasy...

Does anyone have the standard amount your onboard account was charged for tipping on the 7 day Eastern or Western Caribbean for 2 adults/2 children? I want to make my calculations are accurate for budgeting reasons. Thank you!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #164
chateau
DIS Veteran

I just wonder if taxes are paid on these automatic tips. I don't put tips on my credit card at restaurants, rather tip in cash, allowing the server to decide what they wish to claim. There's a record when it's done on paper. I always appreciated a handshake with a big bill palmed to me when I was in the industry! "Palming" should've been my screen name... one of the best things that ever happened to me was due to palming (a note in this case)!
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #165
lucky1
Face Character

I have not read through the whole thread, so sorry if this is a repeat. We recently sailed on the Alaska cruise and had an opportunity during the 6 night evening dessert tastings in front of Trition's to talk to a server at length about how the pay and tipping works. I was curious if serving team had to share tips with those working in the kitchen. No they are not. He mentioned that they only work on Tips. They get $50 monthly check and the rest of their salary is based on their tips. They have 36 guest per cruise that can tip them.
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: