Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #136
dvcdisney
DIS Veteran

I understand why they do it and I'm fine with it.

But maybe they should include this as an option during Online Check in. Guests could be asked if they want to participate in the automatic gratuity OR Guests could be given the choice to opt-out of the Auto-Grat.

This way everyone is aware gratuities are suggested.

Besides, they can do this at GS anyways so why not have the option to do it online...saves the trip to GS. This way, only guests with service issues would need to go to GS.
dvcdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #137
jmclester
Disney Deddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
As above, this was started in 2011 on the Magic due to issues of guests not tipping on the Med. It was expanded to all ships about a month ago. Guests are notified of the procedure with a letter in the stateroom (we got ours on the first night).

You do have to ability to go to GS and remove the automatic tipping as well as to increase or decrease the amount. You can also increase it by leaving the automatic in place but add some cash to the envelopes. The servers do not know whether you have altered the automatic until the last night, so it has no influence on the service you will receive.

I believe that I have only tipped less than the "suggested" amount once on a DCL cruise as the service we receive ranges from above average to fantastic. Thus, I let the automatic stand and adjust it on the second to last day-just take the tickets you get in your stateroom to GS. You will complete a form indicating the amounts you wish to apply to your account.

I don't find that it makes any difference. We've done several Magic cruises with the automatic and now one on the Fantasy. If it matters to you, you are still fully in control of the tips.
If tips are automatic now then why do you still get forms in your stateroom?
1986, 1991, 1994-offsite, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2009, 2011-AStSports, 2002, 2008 CBR, 2005-GF/CR, 2006-ASMo, 2006-ASMu, 2007-GF, 2008-CSR, 2010 DCL-Wonder/POP, 2011-POR, 2011-AStSports, 2012-POP, 2012 DCL-Dream, 2013-POR
jmclester is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #138
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

You can add this to your final payment when paying off your cruise this is what we do. One less thing to bother with.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #139
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruznLexi View Post
You can add this to your final payment when paying off your cruise this is what we do. One less thing to bother with.
Actually you can call DCL or you TA up to 3 days before your cruise to prepay your gratuities.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #140
cyclenut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmclester

If tips are automatic now then why do you still get forms in your stateroom?
The forms are there so that you can still make giving tips more personalized. You can still add to the forms an additional cash tip if you prefer as well. This procedure is pretty common on cruise lines these days. RCCL allows you (encourages but not the default) to "prepay" tips, which is really the same concept as DCL. The charges are placed on your stateroom account and you are given slips of paper and envelopes. You hand the envelopes to those providing the service.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstacy to Ensenada - Summer 2004
Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas NB Pacific Coast - April 2007
Disney Wonder to Alaska - August 2011
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean - June 2012
Disney Wonder SB Pacific Coast - September 2012
cyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #141
jmclester
Disney Deddy

So if you prepay your tips you still hand envelopes to the staff?
1986, 1991, 1994-offsite, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2009, 2011-AStSports, 2002, 2008 CBR, 2005-GF/CR, 2006-ASMo, 2006-ASMu, 2007-GF, 2008-CSR, 2010 DCL-Wonder/POP, 2011-POR, 2011-AStSports, 2012-POP, 2012 DCL-Dream, 2013-POR
jmclester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #142
jilljill
Collects Disney men!

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmclester View Post
So if you prepay your tips you still hand envelopes to the staff?
Yes you do, you will put their part of the voucher in it.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #143
clten
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doris1976 View Post
Not a fan and haven't since I first encountered it on another cruise line in 2000. Believe it diminishes the level of service if the tip is already a forgone conclusion.
But that is the difference. The auto charge is not a forgone conclusion. Tips can easily be adjusted on DCL. (Don't know if anyone has tried to change them on cruiselines where they are a "service charge" but that is practically impossible.) And the DCL servers don't know until the end when you hand them their tip envelope if you have adjusted them up, down, removed them, left them the same or added cash. I've sailed a few times on the Magic since they had the auto tips and have not seen any decline in service. (Trust me, I'm with you that automatically handing someone a tip regardless of the job they do will tend to make them less concerned about the level of service they provide.)

We were on the Wonder in April. Had difficulties with our stateroom and had to be moved, the same night we switched our dining team (to our requested server). When we were at guest services (this was day 2), we asked that they remove the tips from our account as we wanted to handle it on our own to make sure all the proper people got the proper tips. They (GS) didn't ask any questions, just removed them and we were on our way.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #144
mom2val
Can't wait to go back

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruznLexi View Post
This is what we are planning on doing.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #145
KimRaye
DIS Sponsor*Silver
Still a Late Nite DISer
Just a simple hello
Enjoys a good Yankee Candle night

So then, it is possible for a true non-tipper to still not tip. They board the ship, remove the tips, and then give the servers/hosts nothing. Correct?

P.S. I've prepaid my tips. Just asking.

KimRaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #146
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimRaye View Post
So then, it is possible for a true non-tipper to still not tip. They board the ship, remove the tips, and then give the servers/hosts nothing. Correct?

Yes.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #147
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimRaye View Post

I really don't know why someone would go to such trouble and also it's more then likely someone who isn't going to tip doesn't know that they will be charged for the tips anyway.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #148
jilljill
Collects Disney men!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
I really don't know why someone would go to such trouble and also it's more then likely someone who isn't going to tip doesn't know that they will be charged for the tips anyway.
It's not an unexplained charge on your account, DCL tells each cabin of the gratuity charge that is automatically added.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #149
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I changed some of the tips on the Hawaii cruise. It was not a hassle. And it is not an unexplained charge. There is a sheet left in the stateroom that says it is being done. I suppose that maybe some folks won't read the papers left in the staterooms but what more can they do? I am sure that they are doing it now because a majority of cruise lines assess tips this way, and it helps keep the crew from getting stiffed entirely. I know I've seen a lot of posters who don't think they ought to tip for an infant.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #150
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
It's not an unexplained charge on your account, DCL tells each cabin of the gratuity charge that is automatically added.
I relies that but how many people who intend to not tip do you think go down to guest services and have it removed

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: