Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #481
Reesecup317
Earning My Ears
 
Reesecup317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 66

I really hate the idea that if you have an accent the assumption is that you are stupid unless you prove otherwise. I also don't like judging a persons intelligence based on edited information.

*stepping down from my soapbox now* you may now continue with your regularly scheduled thread.
Reesecup317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #482
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!
 
Jennasis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The Triad, NC
Posts: 24,821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesecup317 View Post
I really hate the idea that if you have an accent the assumption is that you are stupid unless you prove otherwise. I also don't like judging a persons intelligence based on edited information.

*stepping down from my soapbox now* you may now continue with your regularly scheduled thread.
Do you also hate that I assume anyone with a British accent is super smart until they prove otherwise? Cause I swear I do!
__________________
Jennasis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #483
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 14,079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesecup317 View Post
I really hate the idea that if you have an accent the assumption is that you are stupid unless you prove otherwise. I also don't like judging a persons intelligence based on edited information.
It's not necessarily an accent by itself, but mixed with speech patterns it can make one seem that way. Boston Rob & Fireman Tom are two that come to mind. Tom never sounded stupid with his accent, but Rob always did.
__________________
Gumbo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #484
cornflake
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
It's not necessarily an accent by itself, but mixed with speech patterns it can make one seem that way. Boston Rob & Fireman Tom are two that come to mind. Tom never sounded stupid with his accent, but Rob always did.
I'll just say I disagree.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #485
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 14,079

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
I'll just say I disagree.
FIREMAN Tom, not Farmer Tom
__________________
Gumbo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #486
cornflake
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
FIREMAN Tom, not Farmer Tom
Oooooh my bad. I do not disagree!

cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #487
Reesecup317
Earning My Ears
 
Reesecup317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4

It's not necessarily an accent by itself, but mixed with speech patterns it can make one seem that way. Boston Rob & Fireman Tom are two that come to mind. Tom never sounded stupid with his accent, but Rob always did.
I think Boston Rob just has a really thick accent. I have never thought that the way he spoke made him sound unintelligent I've listened to quite a few Boston Rob interviews and he comes off like an intelligent well informed guy. I think Rob was one of the best strategic players in the game so even if he did butcher the queen's english his actions proved that he was no dummy.
Reesecup317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #488
Reesecup317
Earning My Ears
 
Reesecup317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis

Do you also hate that I assume anyone with a British accent is super smart until they prove otherwise? Cause I swear I do!
I'm a hypocrite because I agree with you. lol
Reesecup317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #489
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,340

Rob is sharp as a tack. Accent or not, he is a smart guy. A bit of a jerk but really, you can't say he is not intelligent.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #490
cornflake
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesecup317 View Post
I think Boston Rob just has a really thick accent. I have never thought that the way he spoke made him sound unintelligent I've listened to quite a few Boston Rob interviews and he comes off like an intelligent well informed guy. I think Rob was one of the best strategic players in the game so even if he did butcher the queen's english his actions proved that he was no dummy.
This I read carefully, heh, and do agree with. I agree he sounded a bit doofy but I don't think the accent made him sound particularly dumb.

However, that may be a feature of geography - I'm close to the accent, I'm more used to hearing it maybe?

It also may be the speed, for me anyway. I absolutely agree accents aren't actually indicative of intellect. However, someone speaks very slowly, with a pronounced drawling accent, it doesn't give the impression of smarts off the bat, at least to me.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #491
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 14,079

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
This I read carefully, heh, and do agree with. I agree he sounded a bit doofy but I don't think the accent made him sound particularly dumb.

However, that may be a feature of geography - I'm close to the accent, I'm more used to hearing it maybe?

It also may be the speed, for me anyway. I absolutely agree accents aren't actually indicative of intellect. However, someone speaks very slowly, with a pronounced drawling accent, it doesn't give the impression of smarts off the bat, at least to me.
Speed is definitely a factor. I'm definitely not used to someone from the NE speaking so slowly.
__________________
Gumbo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:08 AM   #492
PixieDust32
♥ Live ♥ Love♥ Disney ♥
 
PixieDust32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Flowery Branch GA
Posts: 12,402

THANK GOD! the most annoying survivor ever!!
Did ya notice the happy dance at the end ?
__________________
Etsy ID: Pixiecrafts.

Instagram: roxyy39

PixieDust32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:10 AM   #493
PixieDust32
♥ Live ♥ Love♥ Disney ♥
 
PixieDust32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Flowery Branch GA
Posts: 12,402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesecup317 View Post
I really hate the idea that if you have an accent the assumption is that you are stupid unless you prove otherwise. I also don't like judging a persons intelligence based on edited information.

*stepping down from my soapbox now* you may now continue with your regularly scheduled thread.
Tell me about it.
__________________
Etsy ID: Pixiecrafts.

Instagram: roxyy39

PixieDust32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #494
Reesecup317
Earning My Ears
 
Reesecup317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieDust32
THANK GOD! the most annoying survivor ever!!
Did ya notice the happy dance at the end ?
I agree, but I find Lisa annoying on almost every episode. I think Skupin's happy dance was over the top
Reesecup317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #495
cornflake
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,656

Oh, I think they all deserve some kind of reward for not busting out a chorus of 'na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye' leaping up and down as she left and being all 'your problem now, suckas!' to the jury.

Considering how unbelievably annoying she came off in pretty much every single interaction shown, and given the reaction of all of them to her, I can't imagine how irritating it was to be living with her.

That said, she was right about Skupin.

I also think Jonathan deserves some kind of reward for not being all 'excuse me, where was this reasoning three days ago, when I explained all that to you, in small, simple words, repeatedly?!' to Lisa, because honestly.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.