Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #31
happy2012
♫ ♪There's a great big beautiful tomorrow Shinin' at the end of ev'ry day♫ ♪

Great review!!! & Yum! Now, I have to get over to B&C!!!! I think your cherry diet coke looks like a great treat!!! I could see how that would be like a dessert type thing. Everything looks fantastic!

& if we ever get to stay @ BC we'll be @ that pool ALL DAY too!!!
We'll be @ SSR,our 1st DLX!!!!!! Wahoo!!!! & the pools look fabulous!!!!! I can NOT wait!!!
Old 05-16-2012, 05:28 AM   #32
hogwartsdropout
You can't run away from trouble...ain't no place that far..

Raspberry syrup in coke?? That is something I need to try!! I love your reviews!
2000, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside
2009 - Saratoga Springs
2008-2009 UK World Showcase CM (stayed at WL, POR, GF, CR, ASSp, ASMo, CS, CB, YC, Pop)
2011 - ASSp and WL
2012 - ASSp and AKL
2014 - ASSp - Got engaged in Epcot!
hogwartsdropout is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #33
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

One of these days I am going to visit Beaches and Cream just for those fab desserts!!!
Old 05-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #34
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

Great reviews

Love B&C, sad that we couldnt do it last time as we were just way too full up.
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge @ Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
August 2014- Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort
darthtatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #35
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

Martha's Vineyard and Cape May Cafe Dinner!

We'd originally had plans to have dinner at Via Napoli, but with our reluctance to part with the BC we wound up deciding to give Cape May Cafe a try for dinner (we'd had breakfast planned for our departure morning already). Dinner buffets and me do NOT get along well. I'm weirdly picky when it comes to meat and poultry and what I will and won't eat. I find that generally every dinner buffet, no matter what the 'theme' is, offers the same basic proteins; roast beef, salmon, roast chicken on the bone, and some sort of pork. Which are pretty much the worst possible offerings to me. I love most types of fish except salmon, I won't eat chicken on the bone, I don't eat any pork products, and I'm not a fan of prime rib or roast beef or pot roast or anything of that nature. SO! My disclaimer is to take my experience at Cape May with a grain of salt, given how difficult dinner buffets can be for me. DH is the opposite of me and would eat at a buffet every night if given the option, and since my picky nature means I usually choose our restaurants, I was happy to concede one meal to him.

We checked in at the Cape May podium about a half hour early and it was a mob scene, so we knew we'd have plenty of time to kill. We wound up wandering over to Martha's Vineyard, which was nearly empty. It would be a REALLY relaxing lounge if not for the TVs airing different sporting events.

I ordered a white sangria and DH ordered the red:

This was the BEST white sangria I've ever had! It was deliciously fresh and light and sweet-tasting. I tried a sip of DH's and much preferred mine, the red was a little too strong. I highly recommend this!

Our beeper went off and we checked in, to be seated at a booth under a cute white trellis. We ordered drinks (that light pomegranate lemonade they offer in all the restaurants now is AWESOME) and hit the buffet!

My first plate:

This is a small salad (lettuce, cheese, and dressing), a single potato from the potato salad (just to try it), some marinated black olives, the cucumber salad, some rice and mushroom salad, and shrimp from the quinoa shrimp salad (I left the quinoa behind ).

I love black olives and I know they're always salty from the brine, but whatever they marinated these in was WAAAAY too much salt for my taste. The cucumber and potato salad and shrimp were fine, but that rice and mushroom salad was easily the winner here.

I also tried the butternut squash soup, which I was VERY happy to see offered. I'm a huge fan of anything butternut.

This was just fine. It tasted like a recipe I make myself for a very low-calorie butternut squash soup, because it clearly didn't contain any cream. It had a very lumpy consistency and not much flavor to it. It certainly paled in comparison to the butternut squash soup offered over at AKL, which is silky smooth and tastes like liquid pumpkin pie.

DH's first plate:

He had the shrimp quinoa salad (WITH quinoa!), potato salad, cucumber salad, a house salad with egg, and melon flavored with fresh mint. He cleared his plate!

He also had a bowl of the clam chowder...which is hiding underneath the ten pounds of oyster crackers he added, but it's there, I promise!

I honestly don't remember any specific comments about this, but again he cleaned the bowl so it had to have been decent!

My weird second plate:

My favorite things on this plate were the mashed potatoes and the roll. I decided to try the beef roast since I couldn't find any other protein I really wanted. I asked for well done, and boy did I get it, in the form of a hockey puck posing as meat! The vegetables were very undercooked, as was the vegetable penne pasta. I left most of them on my plate. I figured while I was there I'd try a crab leg, since they seemed to be the main attraction. It was actually pretty good! I don't mind crab, but I'm not a fan of the messy cracking of crab legs, so I didn't want to try more.

Now, I've learned that Cape May has a rotating dinner menu, and feature various seafood offerings on various nights. Everything I've read says that on Saturday, when we were there, they offer cod, peel and eat shrimp, and fried shrimp. These are three things I LOVE and was looking forward to, but they were nowhere to be found. There wasn't a single shrimp anywhere except in the quinoa salad! And the only fish offered was salmon. I don't know if they changed their rotational menu or they ran out or what, but there weren't any signs or empty pans indicating I was missing them, they simply weren't there.

But on a happier note, here is DH's second plate:

Now multiply that by three or four and you have the rest of his meal! Seriously, he LOVED the clams, mussels, and crab so much he kept going back for more. That seems to be the name of the game at Cape May Cafe! The couple seated behind us each came back to their table with plates FULL of crab legs no less than six times. I stopped counting after that. DH was in heaven!

Alternate shots of plates three or four, I can't remember!

Meanwhile, I'd long given up on the hot food and decided to hit the desserts. Desserts are always my shining salvation after any unsuccessful buffet dinner. I may be picky with 'real' food, but with sweets I'll eat pretty much ANYthing. So I loaded up a plate of goodies!

We have...a blondie brownie, oreo bonbons, strawberry cheesecake, a mini key lime tart, and a giant oatmeal cookie.

I know the oreo bonbons are infamous here, but for me, they were greatly overshadowed by the strawberry cheesecake, which was just perfect. Not overly rich or sweet, just perfect. The bonbons were good too though. The key lime tart and blondie were pretty standard. I didn't eat the cookie and I'm not sure why I took it. But I DID finish everything else shown here, and like every other dinner buffet, after eating more sweets than I did proper protein and vegetables, I wound up with a slight stomach ache!

DH actually skipped dessert entirely, since he was so full on mussels and crab at that point. When he asked me about my feelings on Cape May, I told him I'd rate it just slightly below Biergarten, which, as my previous least favorite restaurant in the world, he knew meant Cape May had received the kiss of death. Honestly I would go again just because DH loved it so much, but it's hard to justify the $35 price if all I'm going to eat are salad and desserts....when I could be feasting at 'Ohana for the same price!

SAB was set to close in about an hour and a half after we finished our meal, so as usual we hightailed it to our room and then out to the pool for our regular post-gluttony-float&groan!
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #36
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater

Thanks for the tip on the White Sangria, I prefer that over red as it can give me a migraine...but I LOVE the red sangria from BWI take out window.

Your DH's plates look alot like my hubby's, anything with a shell and lots of it!
MickeyNicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #37
ocalla
DIS Veteran

Man, we LOVE Cape May!!! But I'm more of a shellfish eater than a meat eater.....so Biergaten would NOT be a place for me, much less Ohana

I will definitely try the White Sangria while we are there!!!
90-Honeymoon Offsite 92-offsite 93-CBR 96 - CBR 97-DXL 2000-ASMo 2000-CBR 2001-Courtyard/DD 2004-Grosvenor 07/10-YC 05/11-BC - CL 05/12 BC 06/13 CSR 07/13 - BC/Poly split 02/14-WL 08/14 - POR/Universal 11/14 - AoA 12/14 - Disney Soccer Showcase
Me DH DD22 DD17 Maud Marie:cat
ocalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #38
LJD2143
DIS Veteran & DVC Member

Love your honest and detailed reviews! Especially since these are all places that we will be visiting in September.

The lack of shrimp at Cape May really caught my attention - I wonder what thats about? According to the menu on AllEars, Saturday should have had Fried Shrimp:

Seafood Selections
Snow Crab Legs, Steamed Clams, Prince Edward Island Sound Mussels,
Baked Seasonal Fish, Tortellini with Lobster Sauce, and Seafood Pot Pie .

Fried Cod (Sunday and Friday),
Batter-Fried Calamari (Tuesday and Thursday),
Fried Shrimp (Monday, Wednesday and Saturday)
2000 Wilderness Lodge 2006 Polynesian 2007 Polynesian 2008 Polynesian/Disney Wonder 2009 Grand Floridian SugarLoaf
2010 Wilderness Lodge 2011 Bay Lake Tower 2012 Boardwalk Villas 2012 Beach Club Villas 2013 Boardwalk Villas 2014 Aulani 2014 Animal Kingdom Villas
LJD2143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #39
deenbrad
DIS Veteran

Uh-Oh!! I am NOT gonna be happy if they don't have the peel & eat shrimp when I get there! I love crab legs too but I have to have my shrimp! I don't think their fried shrimp was very good either
off-site many times 1989-2009 (including half of our honeymoon in 1996!), Pop Century May 2011
deenbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #40
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar

I am trying to find a buffet for our upcoming trip as those my hubby's favorite and we always go where I want, so trying to be nice.

But, I have an extremely picky son. You didn't happen to see the kids buffet did you? I think I saw they have chicken nuggets. Do you or anyone reading know what is offered at kids buffets?

Thanks
Old 05-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #41
BlovesC
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentmom View Post
But, I have an extremely picky son. You didn't happen to see the kids buffet did you? I think I saw they have chicken nuggets. Do you or anyone reading know what is offered at kids buffets?

Thanks
The night we were there, the kids' buffet had chicken nuggets, macaroni & cheese, roasted chicken drumsticks, and pizza. I'm not sure if their offerings for kids rotate like the rest of the menu does supposedly but mac & cheese and chicken nuggets seem to be pretty standard at most buffets! HTH!
Old 05-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #42
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlovesC View Post
The night we were there, the kids' buffet had chicken nuggets, macaroni & cheese, roasted chicken drumsticks, and pizza. I'm not sure if their offerings for kids rotate like the rest of the menu does supposedly but mac & cheese and chicken nuggets seem to be pretty standard at most buffets! HTH!
Sounds perfect. Definitely helps. thanks for your response

great review and pictures by the way

I rather just eat at Beaches and Cream, but have to give in and let my husband have his buffet I guess
Old 05-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #43
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Great reviews! I am glad I am not the only one who didn't fall over myself for Cape May Clambake. It was just a decent buffet with crab legs (which were mostly a PITA).
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #44
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Gotta say that, as we are not fans of seafood/shellfish at all, Cape May just doesn't appeal. The desserts looked good though
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #45
BlovesC

Cape May Cafe Breakfast Buffet!

I had no fears walking into Cape May again, despite the previous night's dinner, because as picky as I am with dinner buffets, I'm the total opposite with breakfast buffets. I love all breakfast food, so I'm easy to please here!

Our reservation was at 9am on Mother's Day, so as you can imagine, the place was once again a zoo! They were handing out carnations to all the moms, which I thought was very sweet! When a CM came to seat us, she handed one to me as well. I told her "Ohhh, I'm not a mom, please save this for your next guest!" and the poor woman was so flustered at this, for some reason, and stammered for a few minutes so I just wound up keeping it.

We ordered some much-needed coffee and hit up the buffet!

My first plate:

ahhhh, fruit, it had been awhile. Pineapple, oranges, strawberries, a chocolate croissant, and some bread which I've already forgotten...date nut maybe? Everything was delicious!

DH's first plate...

meat, meat, and LOTS of it! He made himself a lox and cream cheese bagel and loved it.

My second plate...

Who can resist mickey waffles?! <3 even if I DID have to lean down to the kiddy section to get them! They were warm, crispy, and wonderful. The asparagus and scrambled eggs were well-cooked. That quiche/fritatta thing, however, was horrifying. I took one bite and it was a garlic EXPLOSION in my mouth. Some might like that, but noooot me.

DH's second plate...

He's the only person I know who LOOOOOVES disney bacon! The biscuit and gravy IIRC was disappointing, but that pie-looking thing in the middle was a raising bread french toast that was SUPER sweet and super delicious.

My third, yes, THIRD plate! I was determined to get money's worth after the previous night!

I had to have some of that french toast for myself. YUM. I don't know why I took the bacon, I hate all pork and wound up leaving it. Would it KILL at least one breakfast buffet at Disney to feature turkey sausage or turkey bacon? Sheesh. Anyway, the biscuit was pretty dry and obviously meant to only be eaten when smothered under sausage gravy. I usually love breakfast potatoes, but these were cold and hard, no bueno!

Hope I'm not violating any DiS code of ethics by posting this, but I can't resist! The table near us included a five year old boy who was TERRIFIED of the characters. He spent most of the meal under the table, and his parents were slipping him food. Occasionally he'd poke his head out if the coast was clear, but for the most part he didn't budge from the floor. But it was apparently his birthday, so when the CM came out with a birthday cupcake for him, she had to bend down to deliver it to him under the table, while his relatives stooped down to photograph the moment. I thought that was hysterical. What a birthday memory!

All in all, Cape May breakfast was much more successful for me than dinner. But, I'd still probably rank it at the very bottom of my Disney breakfast buffet list, out of the five I've tried. So overall, I don't think we'll really be hitting Cape May again during our next BC stay! Next time I'd love to give Captain's Grille at the YC a try.

And sadly, that concludes this weekend of treats and eats! Thank you all for reading and commenting! I can't wait to explore more restaurants in September!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: