Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
bazzanoid
where'sthespacebar?

Exclamation Dreamliners Grounded!!!!

If anyone's flying with Thomson soon on the Dreamliner, you might want to check with your TA - the FAA has ordered all Dreamliners grounded with immediate effect because of battery problems.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21054089

bazzanoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Hope they get it sorted soon, I know a few were looking forward to flying on the new planes.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
Jonjo
Mouseketeer

It's not just the FAA that has grounded the 787s. The European Aviation Safety Agency and the CAA has too.
Jonjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
laura_<3
DIS Veteran

Oh no, there's been a few articles in the news about the Dreamliners lately. Not good
August 2005 - Indian Ridge Villas May 2009 - All Star Sports (Steven's first trip!)July 2011 - Royal Palms Villas July/August 2011 trip reportSeptember 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside September 2012 trip report July 2015 - Our Disney Wedding, Port Orleans Riverside
Engaged at Magic Kingdom 23rd September 2012 My Youtube Channel New - My wedding blog https://lauradisneybride.wordpress.com/
laura_<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
bazzanoid
where'sthespacebar?

It's an all-new plane design from fuselage to electrical systems, so teething problems were expected.... just not this many! The battery issue has occurred twice so far that has been reported, and that was sufficient to call for complete grounding because of fire risk etc.

It'll be sorted, it's just a question of how quickly....
bazzanoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzanoid View Post
It's an all-new plane design from fuselage to electrical systems, so teething problems were expected.... just not this many! The battery issue has occurred twice so far that has been reported, and that was sufficient to call for complete grounding because of fire risk etc.

It'll be sorted, it's just a question of how quickly....
I bet once a solution is engineered they will be back up in no time.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
sjfc99
Earning My Ears

Obviously have been issues, unfortunate all have come fairly close together.

Remember as well that all the agencies who have called for it to be grounded following these, also certified it as safe to fly following its testing.

Not the first to be grounded, nor the last. Plenty other aircraft types as well which have notices issued for issues to be resolved before they can carry on flying - but short of a grounding.

4 Night Cruise: 99
7 Night East Caribbean: 01,03

Back: June 2013

My WDW & Other Pics
sjfc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
DISWolves
Dreams really can come true !!!!

The company's business unit that I work for, manufactures the nacelle and thrust reverser systems for the 787. A fairly new aircraft into service so issues like this will arise. As with all aircraft manufacture, safety is paramount, so it may appear far more serious that it is. Rest assured, the minutest concern and the fleet will stop, which is referred to as AOG (aircraft on ground). Competition for fuel efficient aircraft is fierce, so Boeing will be addressing this as a priority!!!!
I would have no issues flying on this plane at all
DISWolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:33 AM   #9
cherjp
I am a disney nutter! Every time I reply I kill the thread..... stone dead!!

We are going on it July so hope it's sorted soon, Thomson use prestwick airport which is near us for training and the Dreamliner was coming in for that in march , so hopefully still will be around that time.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:58 AM   #10
Samaya
DIS Veteran

Latest news from the National Transportation Safety Board Organization (NTSB) who briefed the media yesterday on the preliminary findings and it's not good reading for a quick fix.

Pasted a few statements below, taken from one of the many news web sites reporting on the briefing.....

NTSB chairwoman Deborah Hersman said investigators were working "around the clock" to understand what led to the January 7 fire aboard a parked Japan Airlines 787, as well as a smoking battery that forced the emergency landing of an All Nippon Airways 787 on January 16.

But she said that the systems designed to contain such an event on the all-new Dreamliner "did not work as intended".

"This is an unprecedented event. We are very concerned. We do not expect to see fire events on board aircraft," Hersman told reporters. Boeing has since halted deliveries of the 787.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #11
Samaya
DIS Veteran

Latest news on Thomson's Dreamliners from...... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...reamliner.html

British Airways and Thomson have reiterated their confidence in the Boeing Dreamliner, despite fears that the aircraft could be grounded for longer than first thought.

A spokesman for Thomson Airways said it was still due to receive its first 787 at the end of February, as scheduled, and was still expecting to fly the aircraft commercially from May 1, on routes from Manchester, Gatwick, Glasgow and East Midlands to Florida and Mexico.

“We are absolutely confident in the safety of the Dreamliner,” he added. “We have an impeccable safety record and the safety of our passengers and crew is our top priority.”

The airline has outstanding orders for eight 787s in total – a further five will be delivered to parent company TUI.

British Airways – which has ordered 24 Dreamliners – said it was still committed to taking delivery of its first 787 later this year, and of launching flights in 2014.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #12
Samaya
DIS Veteran

Looks like Thomson will have to wait for their Dreamliners and delay there flights to Orlando, Sky News just announced the following.....

Boeing has sent out letters to air carriers expecting delivery of its Dreamliner plane in the next three months revealing its "deep regrets" of possible delays.

Boeing said: “We have informed our customers expecting 787 deliveries in the near term that those aircraft either have been or are at risk of being delayed.

"We are staying in close communication with our customers as we work towards an approved means of compliance with the FAA Airworthiness Directive and develop a plan for resumption of 787 deliveries.

It added: "Boeing deeply regrets the impact that recent events have had on the schedules of our customers and their passengers."

Thomson Airways is one of those carriers which was expected imminent delivery of the composite-construction plane.

It earlier confirmed to Sky that a delivery date for the 787 was now uncertain.

"Thomson Airways has not yet been given a new delivery date for its first 787 Dreamliner by Boeing," the travel company said in a statement.

"Our priority is to ensure our customers go on their holidays and we are, therefore, putting contingency plans in place including using alternative aircraft for our long-haul flights to Mexico and Florida if delivery is delayed beyond the end of March.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: