Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
Sunset_Princess
Mouseketeer

Mumford and Sons - St Augustines!

We are on our Honeymoon in Sept and as this year we will have a car, we wanted to take a few day trips outside of Disney. I'd been eyeing up St Augustine for a while now and was wondering where we should stay over a night. And then the greatest thing happened.... Mumford and Sons announced that they will be doing a show in St Augustines! When to look for the date thinking knowing my look we will just miss them but no! they are there smack bag in the middle of our holiday! So the St Augustine trip in 100% on the cards! Going to go up on the Friday and then come back the Saturday night. Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions on places to visit/eat/stay?

46 Weeks of my life so far spent at WDW!
Sunset_Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
MrsTigger
DLRP board....guaranteed to make you smile!
I keep thinking.. who’s that!!
Just thought I'd come and say hello

I can't help with your question, just wanted to day how amazing that will be- very jealous!

MrsTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

We love St Augustine, it is so different to Orlando. Very laid back with a good deal of history. Check out a couple of my trip reports (Keys to The World or Fred and Wilma - They're Back and They're Child Free) if you want some ideas of what to see and where to eat/stay.

On our first trip, we stayed at a lovely B&B - as nice as it was, it wasn't really us as it was too 'personal', I almost felt like we were staying in somebody's home. Some might like that, it wasn't for me.

Last August we stayed at the Hilton and it was great. Very central and within walking idstance of pretty much everything.

For food, it really depends what you want. Seafood is a speciality at many of the local restaurants. Not being fans of seafood, we chose places that were more American fare. I would definitely suggest that you avoid Athena, a Greek restaurant just off the bayfront. It was dire. We loved the Florida Cracker Cafe and Mango Mangos (although you would need to drive there as it is along the old A1A across the Bridge of Lions).

Another favourite place of ours is Scralett O'Haras. As the name suggests, it is an old-fashioned tavern-type place , loosely themed around Gone with the Wind. We had some drinks and a bunch of appetisers there in August and it was all delicious.

For things to do, the Alligator Farm is a great place to visit, the lighthouse is also fun and the view from the top is phenomenal (although it's quite a climb) and the Castillo de San Marco is well worht a visit, from the historical perspective. St Georges Street in the evening is a hive of activity, with lots of little boutique shops and sometimes a craft fair.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
islandtimect
DIS Veteran

We live near St Augustine, and Mumford and Sons was on the news last night. They'll be performing outdoors in a city park and expect 25,000 people. The city han't used that location for such a large event, so hopfully things go smoothly. I'd recommend a narrated trolley ride to learn about SA in a fun way. There are a few to choose from, including a ghost tour. The Castillo is interesting to tour, and has a good elevated view of the harbor. There's lots of shopping on/near St George St. Here's a link to the area's tourist website. If you have specific questions, just post them and I'll try to help.

http://www.floridashistoriccoast.com...FQ0GnQodAyIA4A
islandtimect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
Sunset_Princess
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
We love St Augustine, it is so different to Orlando. Very laid back with a good deal of history. Check out a couple of my trip reports (Keys to The World or Fred and Wilma - They're Back and They're Child Free) if you want some ideas of what to see and where to eat/stay.

On our first trip, we stayed at a lovely B&B - as nice as it was, it wasn't really us as it was too 'personal', I almost felt like we were staying in somebody's home. Some might like that, it wasn't for me.

Last August we stayed at the Hilton and it was great. Very central and within walking idstance of pretty much everything.

For food, it really depends what you want. Seafood is a speciality at many of the local restaurants. Not being fans of seafood, we chose places that were more American fare. I would definitely suggest that you avoid Athena, a Greek restaurant just off the bayfront. It was dire. We loved the Florida Cracker Cafe and Mango Mangos (although you would need to drive there as it is along the old A1A across the Bridge of Lions).

Another favourite place of ours is Scralett O'Haras. As the name suggests, it is an old-fashioned tavern-type place , loosely themed around Gone with the Wind. We had some drinks and a bunch of appetisers there in August and it was all delicious.

For things to do, the Alligator Farm is a great place to visit, the lighthouse is also fun and the view from the top is phenomenal (although it's quite a climb) and the Castillo de San Marco is well worht a visit, from the historical perspective. St Georges Street in the evening is a hive of activity, with lots of little boutique shops and sometimes a craft fair.
Thank you, that all sounds wonderful! I am going to do some research on hotels I think. What is the drive like between there and Orlando. Ive had a look and it does seem quite simple. We will have Sat Nav as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtimect View Post
We live near St Augustine, and Mumford and Sons was on the news last night. They'll be performing outdoors in a city park and expect 25,000 people. The city han't used that location for such a large event, so hopfully things go smoothly. I'd recommend a narrated trolley ride to learn about SA in a fun way. There are a few to choose from, including a ghost tour. The Castillo is interesting to tour, and has a good elevated view of the harbor. There's lots of shopping on/near St George St. Here's a link to the area's tourist website. If you have specific questions, just post them and I'll try to help.

http://www.floridashistoriccoast.com...FQ0GnQodAyIA4A
I cannot wait for it! Festival are always great, one in Florida has to be even better! Thank you for the link, I will check it out. I am bound to have millions of questions!!

Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset_Princess View Post
Thank you, that all sounds wonderful! I am going to do some research on hotels I think. What is the drive like between there and Orlando. Ive had a look and it does seem quite simple. We will have Sat Nav as well!
It is an easy drive. Take the I4 North out of Orlando, then pick up the I95. You can either take the exit onto the US1 or further North onto the 207. It takes around 2 hours or so.

When we drove back to Orlando, since we weren't in a hurry, we chose to drive the coast road (the 1A) back as far as Ormond Beach. It is a beautiful drive
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
Sunset_Princess
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
When we drove back to Orlando, since we weren't in a hurry, we chose to drive the coast road (the 1A) back as far as Ormond Beach. It is a beautiful drive
That sounds like a lovely idea!
Ive just read your trip report! Loved it! The b&b you stayed at looked very sweet but I can see how it could be a little uncomfortable!

Old 02-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
islandtimect
DIS Veteran

The drive from Orlando is easy. Just be aware that I 4 has lots of construction work near I 95. In our last 3 trips, we had a 20 minute delay once.
islandtimect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
clareyfairymouse
Mouseketeer

St. Augustine was our first stop on our tour of Florida on our honeymoon and we loved it! We stayed by the beach and drove into the town and both are really nice! The beaches were really quiet and the town has a lovely old feel to it.
If your a pancake fan I can highly recommend a little place we found called Sea Oates. It was recommended by our waiter at dinner the previous evening and its so good!
Its tuck away in a little strip mall near Publix but so worth the find. Here's the address
1075 A1A Beach Blvd, St Augustine, FL 32080, United States

2004 - IP UK Pavilion, 2008 - 1st WDW Holiday - Pop Century, 2010 - WDW Wedding - Wedding Pavilion & Stayed at Wilderness Lodge 2013 - Florida Keys & Port Orleans Riverside
clareyfairymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
Sunset_Princess
Mouseketeer

Tickets came on sale 45 minutes ago and we've got them! So St Augustine in 100% on the cards! Ping to book hotel as soon as we get home!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: