Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
Tara2004
Mouseketeer

Anyone been to Toyko Disneyland?

Has anyone been and if so have you got any tricks or tips for Japan?
What was it like? and how long do you need for Japan trip. I am thinking a week.
Also where did you stay and how much is it. Flights to Japan are pretty good price with Jetstar, so we are fishing for ideas and may make a trip there this year.

Any ideas at all would be welcomed

2001 WDW ( POP century )
2013 WDW ( Boardwalk, AKL ) Disneyland Anaheim
2014 Oct, Disneyland Anaheim in the planning
Tara2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

How exciting!

I'd check out Aussie Wendy's TR in the Tokyo Disneyland section of the boards. Lots of gorgeous pictures there.

I believe that the seminal TR was written by Lurky Loo. I'm up to page 20 or so. Happy reading!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
Sugarglider
DIS Veteran

I have! Pick me! Pick me! - LOVED it.

We did the same thing as you back in 2008 - saw the 2 for 1 jetstar deal and that prompted a Japan trip.
Japan is fantastic - I highly recommend it for a holiday. We stayed 21 nights and it wasn't enough. We went in and out of Osaka - so we saw Kyoto and Nara - which were the most beautiful cities. Caught the train up to Tokyo and stayed at Mira Costa for 3 nights.
Hotels are outrageously expensive in Japan (compared to Australia). Everything was fine (shopping, transport food etc - same as here).
If you can go during spring or autumn it is astonishingly beautiful.
Mice Chat has a very active TDL chat board and there are a couple of old but very detailed reports on Laughing Place and Theme Park Review has several photo heavy trip reports and reviews
Sugarglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

We're going for 2 weeks in July. A week in Tokyo and a week in Osaka, with of course some Disney days
Old 05-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
aussietravellers
who LOVE disney holidays!

Location: Australia or Austria... they are the same place aren't they?

Oh I"m so glad you asked this question. I would love to go to Japan and have been thinking about it lately. With Jetstar flying direct from the Gold Coast it is an affordable (flight wise) way to go
2008 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disneyland Paris - Hotel New York
2009 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2010 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge + Beach Club + Yacht Club Resorts My 2010 Trip to NY and WDW Trip Report
2013 - We lived at Disneyland for 4 months! - Residence Inn Garden Grove, Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel
aussietravellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #6
Tara2004
Mouseketeer

Sugar Glider yes you have been chosen

I am looking into this serious now, gotta do some sums on it all, but the flights are really good to get to Toyko. I am thinking of only doing a week there as we want a big 4 week trip to WDW next Oct. This is just to get our Disney Fix

How was the Disney Sea park? I dont think there is another Disney Park like that one anywhere is there ? Could be a good fun time, and time for another Video series trip report Japan Style should be fun

2001 WDW ( POP century )
Old 05-13-2012, 12:20 AM   #7
Tara2004
Mouseketeer

Just seen that Universal has just opened a new park as well for the younger kids. This trip could be a blast. Universal Wonderland brand new. Gotta check this out.

2001 WDW ( POP century )
Old 05-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #8
Tara2004
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarglider View Post
I have! Pick me! Pick me! - LOVED it.

We did the same thing as you back in 2008 - saw the 2 for 1 jetstar deal and that prompted a Japan trip.
Japan is fantastic - I highly recommend it for a holiday. We stayed 21 nights and it wasn't enough. We went in and out of Osaka - so we saw Kyoto and Nara - which were the most beautiful cities. Caught the train up to Tokyo and stayed at Mira Costa for 3 nights.
Hotels are outrageously expensive in Japan (compared to Australia). Everything was fine (shopping, transport food etc - same as here).
If you can go during spring or autumn it is astonishingly beautiful.
Mice Chat has a very active TDL chat board and there are a couple of old but very detailed reports on Laughing Place and Theme Park Review has several photo heavy trip reports and reviews
Did you take young kids with you ? or would it be ok for us to take 2 young children aged 4.5 and 8 ? How was the language barrier for you?

2001 WDW ( POP century )
Old 05-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #9
Aust
DIS Veteran

I went a looong time ago, when I was 17, so no good advice. Have been back to Tokyo a few times since but it was always for work and no time for DL. I love Tokyo as a city though, always felt completely safe walking around by myself at night, and plenty to see. Kyoto was lovely as a taste of the Japan of old.
2007 DLR (DLH)
1991 DL Tokyo
Aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:15 AM   #10
BecBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara2004 View Post
How was the language barrier for you?
I asked this question on Trip Advisor and got a lot of great responses,
Old 05-13-2012, 04:42 AM   #11
Sugarglider
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara2004 View Post
Did you take young kids with you ? or would it be ok for us to take 2 young children aged 4.5 and 8 ? How was the language barrier for you?
No - I don't have kids - just my partner and I. Language was not a problem. Turned up in Tokyo and everyone automatically spoke English to us! Down south in Kyoto and Nara we had a mixed experience - and was glad to have some Japanese.

In TDL everything is bi-lingual Japanese/English - all the signs etc. They have english language cards and for shows you can get a english headset . Most staff had some English - some were excellent.

the only problem where language was a barrier were the Kyoto taxi drivers. Known for not speaking english - and none of ours did. We carried a card written in Japanese with the address of our townhouse on it.

Disney Sea in my mind is one of the best theme parks in the world - it is certainly the most beautiful. You've all read my posts before about TDL!

re: Kiddies - well - It is the same experience as WDW. I don't know how picky your kids are with food. Japanese food is FAR less sweeter than US. And obviously traditional Japanese may be a bit unusual for a child (tofu, mushrooms, smoked fish, seaweed, etc) Some is good fun though!

The parks are very crowded - the Japanese LOVE Disney. Think heavy day at WDW is most days at TDL. Plus they sell an "After 6pm" pass and at 6pm squillions of people come pouring into the park for the evening.

So for kiddies you'll need to keep track of them in the crowds.

go and have a look at some of those other sites which I think are more active re: TDL. Bec's reminder of TripAdvisor is a good one - that is an active board too.

My only reason why I haven't gone back - the exchange rate and cost of hotel rooms. Have a look at the pricing on the TDL official site (and via TripAdvisor) and you'll fall off your chair. TDL doesn't offer discounts.
The absolute cheapest room you can possibly get at a Disney hotel is $330/night - the room I had is currently selling for $725/night After breaking that price barrier a deluxe hotel at WDW seems tame now!
Sugarglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
battymum
DIS Veteran

Anyone noticed how there is a sudden interest in TDL from the Aussies on here!

BecBennett, Tara2004, Aussietravellers, myself and I believe PIO may even be scheming for a Tokyo trip!!

I blame you, Sugarglider and your glowing reviews of TDL and Disneysea!!!!!
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #13
battymum
DIS Veteran

Oh, and while the Disney official hotels are ridiculously expensive - the Disney partner hotels can be quite reasonable- at the moment the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay is coming in at 24000yen per night in April2013. (around$280 = eek - that sounds expensive, but we can fit five in the room, so cheaper than 2 rooms elsewhere - but makes the disney hotels seem )

This is for a room with 2 double beds and 2 singles and is on the monorail line to the parks. The Japanese seem to have a funny rule whereby adults cant share beds - so you can fit five in this room as long as the bed sharers are under 17

(I Just cant commit to booking yet, I dont know why)
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #14
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

Add me to the list

only been to Tokyo for 2 days in DEC 2008...loved it, want to go back. fantastic city, safe, clean but expensive..we stayed in a youth hostel.

so please post all your plans, deals and tips......

australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #15
BecBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymum View Post
The Japanese seem to have a funny rule whereby adults cant share beds
you know, I once heard that the reason there are usually 2 beds in a hotel room is something to do with Asian travellers - I've never looked this up for confirmation, because what on earth would you put as search parameters?? - anyhoo, apparently there are 2 beds because you do the deed in one, and then move into the clean one for sleeping

So maybe it's not that you can't share a bed if you're an adult, it's that you can't sleep in a "soiled" one, so naturally you need 2 to move about...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: