Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #16
mermaid764
DIS Veteran

Yay for another Sooze trip report!

I was so excited to see another and am definitely here to follow along

Old 05-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #17
Sooze
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwi View Post
Sounds like you really enjoyed your candlelight processional performance. I know nothing about music, but do enjoy listening to it I love VOL, now that you have raved about them for years! The pictures of the kids just enjoying their time at Epcot are so sweet.
Well, I'm glad you are still coming along on this band geek report, whether you 'know about' music or not!! So glad you enjoy VoL too!

Quote:
I stayed in a studio at BLT Nov 2011, and loved it. My sister and I had a beautiful lake view room on the 14th floor. So pretty. I know that the 2 bedroom villas are quite large, I'm sure you enjoyed the extra space. I almost think the studio would be tight with a family of four. (compared to OKW or VWL, which are the other two vacation club resorts I have stayed at) Too bad you have no pictures to share with us. But I can't wait to hear how you enjoyed the cruise.
I am so sorry I didn't take pictures!! The 2BR was HUGE! How are the studios at VWL?! That is one of the few DVC resorts we haven't visited... but are hoping to soon!

One more day til the cruise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid764 View Post
Yay for another Sooze trip report!

I was so excited to see another and am definitely here to follow along

Thanks for coming back for more!!
1978 CR,1989 Off Site, 1991 Off Site, 1992 CR, 2003 ASM, 2004 CBR, 2005 CBR, 2005 BCV, 2006 OKW, 2007 SSR,2007 BWV,,2008 POR,2008 OKW,2008 BCV,2009 SSR, 2009 BCV,2009 SSR,2009 SSR ,2010 BWV,2010 POFQ ,2011 Grand Gathering at BWV,2011 Drama Queens in Orlando,2011 Disney Dream New Year's Cruise,2012 OKW,2012 OKW Parents' 40th Anniversary2013 Spring Break at WLV,2013 Adult Trip BWV,2013 Disney Fantasy New Year's Cruise2014 OKW Summer Fun,2014 AKL Girls Only,2015 My First Half Marathon,2015 Spring Break Cruise

ME DH DS 14 DD 8
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #18
Sooze
DIS Veteran

Since we were staying at a monorail hotel for the first time, it made sense that we would hit MK today. What didn’t make sense was that we would STAY at MK… Why? You ask? Well my trip report-reading friends…. WE FOUND THOSE HOLIDAY CROWDS today! WOW!

As soon as we hit the park, we realized we were in trouble! The boys quickly headed off to find something fun to ride. Shae and I headed to Tomorrowland to see if Buzz Lightyear was good to go. And… NO, it wasn’t! The line was an hour long. YES! An hour! We headed to the Peoplemover, which also had quite a line.. YES! A LINE for the Peoplemover! It moved very quickly, though, and soon we were on board. As we zoomed above Tomorrowland, we just couldn’t stop gawking at how BIG the crowds were!

Shae was just happy to be riding something:

Me too:

Enjoying our ride:

After riding, we fought the crowds around to Fantasyland. Shae’s only request was to ride the carousel. This made me nervous because the past few times we had ridden, it had been during EMH so we walked right on and were able to snag Cinderella’s horse every time! So she was already talking about riding Cinderella’s horse. Eek! I talked extensively about how difficult that would be with these crowds, and felt like she was prepared, but I was still dreading that moment when she saw somebody else get on ‘her’ horse!

Well, the pixie dust was flying for us that crazy crowded day! We somehow ended up being right at the gate when they closed it. We had to wait through a 3rd round, but since we were the first ones out of the queue gate, we went straight for that ribbon! And here is Shae’s reaction when we actually got the horse:

Do you know what the ribbon looks like? I decided to take a picture of it, just in case nobody knew what to look for!

After riding only TWO things, we were DONE!! I’m not kidding… the crowds were awful! Here is our view on the way out:

I snagged a few nice shots on our way out and back 'home':

We decided to take advantage of the BLT! We got home and while most of the adults hit the beds for a nap, I was the lucky one who got to take the kids to the pool! (This became a theme for the next day!)

The BLT pool is beautiful… but I have a major complaint! As soon as the sun starts to make it’s way to the west, the big, tall BLT blocks the sun from the pool!!! The pool sits in the shade of the tower!! Now, in July, that might be fine! But at the end of December… it was COLD!!!

There was NO ONE in the pool. All of the kids who were there were crammed into the hot tub, because it was still in a spot of sun. Shae was insistent on swimming, so she still got in. I shivered on the side of the pool waiting for her to get cold and get out. I think she swam for 30 minutes. It was the longest 30 freezing minutes ever!

Tyson and Chip spent most of their time with the CMs running the pool games. Good thing for the CMs, because there was nobody in the pool!

Here’s a view of the sun-blocking tower:

And the slide that no one used because it was so darn cold!

Finally, after practically BEGGING to get back inside, I got the kids to go. We took long, hot showers, and started getting ready for our BIG meal at ‘Ohana!! This was going to be the first time our WHOLE group was together!!

But first, I had a little mission to accomplish. My little princess had lost her first teeth just a few days before the trip. She wanted to take her teeth with her to WDW, so that Tinkerbell could be her tooth fairy! I left before the rest of our clan and headed to the concierge desk to see if they might be able to assist us in our very first Tinkerbell tooth fairy experience.

Well, let me tell you… those CMs at the concierge desk were the epitome of Disney magic in action! When I told them about Shae’s teeth, I simply asked if Tinkerbell might be able to leave her a note. They were appalled! They said, “A very first lost tooth is worth much more than a NOTE!!” Then they took off, brainstorming all the things ‘Tink” could do!

I let them know we’d be out of the villa for then next few hours and they said, “Leave it to us!”

And they did not disappoint! Come back to see what Tink left for Shae!
1978 CR,1989 Off Site, 1991 Off Site, 1992 CR, 2003 ASM, 2004 CBR, 2005 CBR, 2005 BCV, 2006 OKW, 2007 SSR,2007 BWV,,2008 POR,2008 OKW,2008 BCV,2009 SSR, 2009 BCV,2009 SSR,2009 SSR ,2010 BWV,2010 POFQ ,2011 Grand Gathering at BWV,2011 Drama Queens in Orlando,2011 Disney Dream New Year's Cruise,2012 OKW,2012 OKW Parents' 40th Anniversary2013 Spring Break at WLV,2013 Adult Trip BWV,2013 Disney Fantasy New Year's Cruise2014 OKW Summer Fun,2014 AKL Girls Only,2015 My First Half Marathon,2015 Spring Break Cruise

ME DH DS 14 DD 8

Last edited by Sooze; 06-09-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #19
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting that picture of Cinderella's horse's ribbon. I'd read that there was a ribbon, but had no idea what it looked like. Not that I'll likely ever be on a mission to find that horse, but you never know!

Ooo, I can't wait to find out what Tink left Shae for her first toofers!
Old 05-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #20
micandminforever
DIS Veteran

I wait to read about what Tink brought Shae and the dinner at Ohanas, so hurry back.
One day trips with Family 1972,1973, 1976, Honeymoon off site June 1985, Off site June 1986, Off site June 1989, Grand Floridian June 1992, Wilderness Lodge June 1995, Dixie Landing(POR) April 1997, Hilton at Downtown Disney April 2000, Beach Club June 2003, POFQ June 2005, Pop Century Dec. 2005, Pop Century Jan. 2006, Pop Century Sept. 2007, POFQ Jan. 2009, Pop Century Sept 2009, BLT 25th Anniversary Trip June 2010, CBR March 2011, PORS Sept. 2012, Pop Century Jan. 2013
Old 05-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #21
mom2clr
Mouseketeer

You had me at band geeks. :

Former colorguard member here! Marched drum corps for 2 summers but was mostly a winter guard girl.

Read your previous report and how cool you're related to the trumpet player from Blast! LOVED the show. I actually marched with Jodi in 93.

Looking forward to reading about your trip.

Jan '10 POFQ; Jul '10 POP; Sep '10 POP; May '12 POFQ
Old 05-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #22
hcoker1
Mouseketeer

Location: Woodstock Ontario, half way between Detroit and Toronto.

Can't wait to see what Tink left for Shae! I love that CMs are the biggest kids around

Old 05-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #23
Sooze
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Thanks for posting that picture of Cinderella's horse's ribbon. I'd read that there was a ribbon, but had no idea what it looked like. Not that I'll likely ever be on a mission to find that horse, but you never know!

Ooo, I can't wait to find out what Tink left Shae for her first toofers!
You are welcome! I remember hearing about it on the DIS and wondering what it looked like. When a CM helped me find it one slow EMH morning, I was like, "That's it?!" Well now I know!

Update coming up today!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micandminforever View Post
I wait to read about what Tink brought Shae and the dinner at Ohanas, so hurry back.
Sorry for the delay! I'll be updating today... thanks for hanging in there with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2clr View Post
You had me at band geeks. :

Former colorguard member here! Marched drum corps for 2 summers but was mostly a winter guard girl.
So glad you found me! What corps did you march?!

Quote:
Read your previous report and how cool you're related to the trumpet player from Blast! LOVED the show. I actually marched with Jodi in 93.

Looking forward to reading about your trip.
That Jodi comment should give me a hint about where you marched, but while I knew her, I didn't really KNOW her... she spent a weekend at my house after tour one time! Such a small world!

Thanks for checking in! Update coming today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcoker1 View Post
Can't wait to see what Tink left for Shae! I love that CMs are the biggest kids around
It makes me even more jealous that I'm not a CM... what a GREAT job(for most, anyway!)

ME DH DS 14 DD 8
Old 05-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #24
jeremysdisneymom
DIS Veteran

I am here! Can't wait to read all about your cruise.

Love that Shae is still wearing those princess ears--adorable!!!

Can't wait to see what Tinkerbell leaves...

Old 05-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #25
Sooze
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysdisneymom View Post
I am here! Can't wait to read all about your cruise.

Love that Shae is still wearing those princess ears--adorable!!!

Can't wait to see what Tinkerbell leaves...
Only my truest fans can relate to those princess ears! And to think I almost didn't buy them!

Update below! Enjoy!

ME DH DS 14 DD 8
Old 05-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #26
Sooze
DIS Veteran

Well, we made it to the last night before the cruise, and our Gaggle of Band Geeks was FINALLY all together! We had one last family left, and they have a home in FL. Why were they the last ones here?! Well, they have ‘grown-up’ kids, and they had spent the past few days on the beach… were ‘grown-up’ kids want to be at Christmas time!

So joyous reunions were everywhere, as we shared hug after hug in the lobby of they Poly. The euphoria was in the air, as we knew were about to embark on the most amazing of experiences… a cruise on the Dream? No! Dinner at ‘Ohana, people!!

Just look at this crazy group of band geeks!

Ok, I guess we weren’t THAT crazy… yet! I couldn’t even fit the whole group in the picture!

The pre-teens were happily sitting by each other, and ignoring all adult conversation as best they could:

Shae and I had our own little corner of the table (and thus began my night of always seeming to be with the kids! It’s the teacher in me, I’m thinking!)

Notice the bread and butter on Shae’s plate. This girl ate bread and butter for 6 straight days!!

I asked the server if Shae could have some drink umbrellas. She put them to good use!

Soon, the delicious food was arriving. My FAVORITE part of ‘Ohana is the peanut sauce. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

The good thing about sitting with the kids is that these three sauces were ALL MINE! They wanted nothing to do with them!

We were seated right next to the big flaming grill, so I had quite the entertainment to enjoy, when I wasn’t prodding Shae about the tooth fairy….

Soon, my Lapu Lapu arrived, and I didn’t care WHERE I was sitting, or WHO I was talking to!!

Soon, the ukulele player was out, and since the pre-teens were just too cool to participate, Shaelyn took the spotlight!

Honestly, I think she only did this so she could get a ‘flower necklace’.

We had the BEST of meals as a complete ‘band geek family’ and were just SO giddy that this was to be the first of many over the next few days!

Here are a happy Dean and Adrianna:

And Shae having some cuddle time with Beast:

What was I doing? I was busy taking care of EVERY LAST DROP of the amazing dessert at ‘Ohana:

As a group, we decided to head over to the Grand Floridian to check out their Holiday Lobby. It was stunning!

I had another moment where it hit me that I was cruising around the lobby with all of the KIDS, and the rest of the adults were having the most pleasant of times without them (or me). I think I yelled across the lobby, “Why am I always with the kids?!?!” It was funny. Seriously, I’m pretty sure it was always my fault. I just always seemed to migrate to them, probably to make sure they were behaving. Ah well!

To wrap up the evening, we were going to spend some time at the Top of the World lounge at the BLT. We planned on watching Wishes from the top of the tower, and enjoying some of the DVC perks.

But first, we decided to stop in our room and ‘drop off our things’. AKA “seeing what Tinkerbelle left”!

It was fabulous! The villa was dark, and Shae ran straight to the room. In the dark, she could see the shadow of a helium balloon floating above her bed. When we turned on the light, we not only saw the Tinkerbelle balloon, but 10-15 celebrate buttons scattered on her bed, and a cute little box tied up with a bow. Inside the box was a beautiful charm bracelet, loaded up with 4 Tinkerbell charms!! Shae was beside herself with excitement, and I was beside myself with appreciation for the Concierge CMs who took a humble request and went ALL out with it!

Here are some of the buttons:

And here is Shae showing off her very special bracelet!

After celebrating and sharing our tooth fairy experience with everyone, we headed up to the lounge. It was just beautiful, and since we went up pretty early, it was not crowded at all. We all got a few drinks and just enjoyed being in this stunning setting. Soon, we made our way out side, where it was QUITE chilly! We enjoyed a wonderful fireworks show from an amazing vantage point. We knew that we’d be getting up the next morning to head to Port Canaveral and our very first cruise EVER… and we were going to be on the brand new Disney ship.. and we were going to be with some of our best friends ever. We had SO MUCH to be thankful for. It was a very special evening, for sure!

Shaelyn enjoyed it all from atop her Daddy’s shoulders:

She conducted the entire thing. Gotta love band geek kids!! Check her out in action:

What a great night!

And we had SO much more to look forward to… more than we EVER dreamed!

ME DH DS 14 DD 8

Last edited by Sooze; 06-09-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #27
mermaid764
DIS Veteran

Wow, what an amazing job the CM's did on Tinkerbell's visit......I love the pictures.

I agree that the set up of the pool area at BLT seems strange....why they wouldn't have built it around the opposite area for that reason.

Your meal at Ohana looks delicious, and it looks like everyone was in great spirits and looking forward to an awesome vacation.

Can't wait to hear what you guys thought about your first cruise

Old 05-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #28
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Oh yeah, 'Ohana baby. Gotta love it!

You're yelling across the lobby at the very glamorous and refined Grand Floridian hotel and you wonder why you get stuck with the kids???

Yay for Tinkerbell (and her helpers)! She did not disappoint!

The video of Shaelyn directing the fireworks was very cute. She's officially a member of the Band Geeks.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #29
micandminforever
DIS Veteran

Tink did a great job as a tooth fairy. Thats what make Disney so magicial, the CMs go out of their way to make dreams come true.
One day trips with Family 1972,1973, 1976, Honeymoon off site June 1985, Off site June 1986, Off site June 1989, Grand Floridian June 1992, Wilderness Lodge June 1995, Dixie Landing(POR) April 1997, Hilton at Downtown Disney April 2000, Beach Club June 2003, POFQ June 2005, Pop Century Dec. 2005, Pop Century Jan. 2006, Pop Century Sept. 2007, POFQ Jan. 2009, Pop Century Sept 2009, BLT 25th Anniversary Trip June 2010, CBR March 2011, PORS Sept. 2012, Pop Century Jan. 2013
Old 05-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #30
howlongtildisney
Mouseketeer

Love Tink's job as the Tooth Fairy! And it looks like your little girl may be following in the family footsteps.
Me , DH , DS#1 (2) , and DS#2 (born 07.04.13)

Obsessively planning Henry's first trip for summer 2014!

~ 1988 - FW ~ 1994 - CBR ~ 1997 - Offsite ~ 1999 - Offsite ~ 1999 - CBR ~
~ 2000 - CBR ~ 2002 - POR ~ 2008 - Offsite ~ 2009 - OKW ~

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: