Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 03:40 AM   #31
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mum from oz View Post
Here what I have done:

Went to Target in the USA and got Tracfone per paid cheap phones with sim cards. Cost about $15 plus credit. Very cheap and easy option.

This year I took my iPhone. I am a little obsessed with it so I went with the T-Mobile sim card from Travelgear. I also purchased the $60 credit for one month. It cost less that $100. This has gotten me:
Unlimited phone calls to US landlines and mobile numbers
Unlimited Texts to US numbers
Free calls to AUSSIE landlines
33c min calls to Aussie mobiles (you will need to buy more credit either from Travelgear or even any 7 eleven type place.

I activated in about five minutes using Sydney airports free wi fi. Once in LA I put in my sim card (don't forget the iPhone sim tray unlock tool/or use a paper clip!) and it worked straight away.

I have been using it for Facebook, checking it out and checking in everywhere. Using it for browsing the net, checking email, Googleing places etc. I have also been using the WDW app for touring plans and line. I have absolutely loved this option and would use it again n a heartbeat.
definitely sounds like a plan... we are planning on upgrading our phones to the new samsung galaxy s2 ... not sure yet if we'll get the tablets, or whether we'll just use the phones and skype through them...

me (alicia): dbf (carlo):
2011 vacation - Of Mice, and Wizards and Pirates, oh my!

2013 trip - 3 castles and a Disney boat - a work in progress
alicia1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #32
Yvie
Earning My Ears

Great info in this thread! Just what I needed to know!
Yvie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-24-2012, 05:02 AM   #33
Sugarglider
DIS Veteran

Sorry Ms. Shuttergirl - I seem to have completely missed this thread for an entire week!
I was going to ask - have you got any old mobile phones still hanging around that you can use?
(Or have you done the correct thing and put them in a mobile phone recycling bin?!? Can you tell I work for the environment dept?)

OK - so I took the Samsung Galaxy SII and a TravelGear sim card for T Mobile - everything worked fine. I also had a data sim card from T Mobile for my Samsung Galaxy Tablet - worked fine too.

the Travel Gear site and article links I posted before suggested that iPhone users would be better off on AT&T - but I am aware of other posters who have noted that AT&T service seems crappy and people had an OK time on the travel gear sim cards.

Re: the locked and unlocked for sim swapping thing - I am on an Optus POST paid plan and the phone came unlocked and Optus said they only lock PRE paid plans. My suspicion is that it would be the same for Telstra and others.

I find all this astonishingly confusing and can wonder for the poor US citizens who have multiple phone systems to navigate!
Sugarglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:46 AM   #34
ExcitedSam
Mouseketeer

So the T-mobile sound like a good option, but I also wanted to be able to contact DH on the odd occasion we get separated (at the parks!) don't want to spend a lot buying another T-mobile package, would the pre paid US phone be the way to go? Or would just texting him occasionally on his Aussie ph be ok?
Old 07-31-2012, 12:45 AM   #35
Andona
Destroyer of the Aussie Dollar

Unlocking your Telstra iPhone 4s

I just thought I'd bump this up for anyone planning to but a sim in the USA and use it in their Telstra iPhone 4s.

These phones are locked to Telstra when you buy them on a plan ( even on a post-paid plan) so you have to go through the process of getting them unlocked before you go. Telstra support are woeful on providing correct information on this.

First you'll need to call them and ask them to process the unlock request with Apple. They MUST have your phone's IMEI number to put this though.

Then you have to wait 72 hours and go through a Backup/Restore to Factory Settings/Restore from Backup through iTunes before the unlock will go through. The Telstra people will tell you that you only need to sync with iTunes but that isn't true

If the process works correctly you'll get a message through iTunes that says "Congratulations, your phone has been unlocked" . After that you can test it out with a sim from another telco.

Now I just have to decide what sim to get in the USA

Andona
2005: DL - 3/50 states | 2007- UK & Paris | 2008: WDW - 14/50 states| 2009: DL - 18/50 States | 2011 European roadtrip - ANZAC day in France | 2012: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip! 25/50 states Read my TR|2013 Italy

Dec 2014 Hawaii Here We Come!

Aug 2015 Pacific Northwest Roadtrip finishing up in DL. Yay!
Andona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #36
areweindisneyyet
DIS Veteran

In December we used the Travel Gear Sim cards, one normal and one for the new IPhone 4s.

For the IPhone, I rang Telstra to unlock which was done no problem, synced phone and we inserted the SIM at home the night before we left and we got welcome to TMobile with roaming rates of using TMobile in Australia. We used the $60 plan for my phone and diverted my business phone to our landline so I could check messages to free using the free call to Australian landlines. I used Line Apps (as you would Christmas Day in DL), facebook, email etc.. as I normally would and used 80% of the months credit in three weeks. Got the msg waiting at the gate at LAX to fly home.

DH go the $30 plan for his phone to use when separated and he had 1500 minutes on this. A text is a minute.

Really simple, my only tip was to turn the phones to silent at night as sometimes you get calls as they recycle numbers. We entered the new phone numbers into our address books as Travel Phone and as noone else had the numbers we knew when to answer and when to ignore.

Will definitely use again. In fact, the stay active as long as you purchase credit every 12 months. The instructions from Travel Gear are also really clear and deep.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:54 AM   #37
Andona

Quote:
Originally Posted by areweindisneyyet View Post
In December we used the Travel Gear Sim cards, one normal and one for the new IPhone 4s.

For the IPhone, I rang Telstra to unlock which was done no problem, synced phone and we inserted the SIM at home the night before we left and we got welcome to TMobile with roaming rates of using TMobile in Australia. We used the $60 plan for my phone and diverted my business phone to our landline so I could check messages to free using the free call to Australian landlines. I used Line Apps (as you would Christmas Day in DL), facebook, email etc.. as I normally would and used 80% of the months credit in three weeks. Got the msg waiting at the gate at LAX to fly home.
I had 95% decided to buy the TRavelgear T-mobile sim but your post has sold me the extra 5% I'm particularly pleased that you were able to use the Lines app etc with your T-Mobile coverage. I'd been a bit concerned that you only get Edge/2G data speeds with them but it sounds like it's plenty for the apps

I'm thinking I'll get their AT&T sim for my iPad too.

Andona
2005: DL - 3/50 states | 2007- UK & Paris | 2008: WDW - 14/50 states| 2009: DL - 18/50 States | 2011 European roadtrip - ANZAC day in France | 2012: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip! 25/50 states Read my TR|2013 Italy

Old 08-01-2012, 06:04 AM   #38
ExcitedSam
Mouseketeer

How far in advance do you need to get your phone unlocked? And on that how long does it take to get the traveler sim? We go in just under 8 weeks, so thinking about all these things now.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #39
Andona

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcitedSam View Post
How far in advance do you need to get your phone unlocked? And on that how long does it take to get the traveler sim? We go in just under 8 weeks, so thinking about all these things now.
Telstra said the unlock could take up to 72 hours from my phone call. Travelgear ship using Australia Post so it probably just takes a few days (areweindisneyyet ca probably say how quickly theirs came??)

We go in 6 weeks and I'll probably wait a few more weeks before ordering my sim.

Andona

Old 08-01-2012, 07:32 AM   #40
areweindisneyyet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andona View Post
Telstra said the unlock could take up to 72 hours from my phone call. Travelgear ship using Australia Post so it probably just takes a few days (areweindisneyyet ca probably say how quickly theirs came??)

We go in 6 weeks and I'll probably wait a few more weeks before ordering my sim.

Andona
Phone unlocking was almost instant. They say 72 hours just to give them room to move.

I think I purchased about 5 weeks before we left. The ship from VIC and Express Post was an option.

Did not notice a massive difference with the internet speed on the phone. Perhaps with photos. I am quite inpatient with slow computers so the fact that I dont remember being frustrated says it all. We used it in Hawaii in Honolulu and at Aulani, in LA and around Disneyland.

I got the advice from someone else here on the Aussie Disboards. Wonderful people we have here/
Old 08-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #41
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

Just saw on Touring Plans that Magic Kingdom now has free wifi

So I think our plan will be to buy 2 cheapie prepaids to call each other if we split up and then use iPhones in the park (for Dis and Lines style apps).

We will try to Skype the inlaws but don't plan to call anyone else, can skype from my laptop - think I will buy a dongle for that rather than rely in wifi hotspots though..

Our first trip to WDW was November 2012 - Trip report at http://www.oztoworld.blogspot.com.au/
dabecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #42
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

So is there a website that it's best to purchase this from? And do they have international internet options for laptops?

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #43
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

My hubby is very tech savvy so I have left this job to him (the only part of the whole holiday he has to organise!), so it will probably be done at the last minute! I haven't looked into it myself but will let you know when he does.

Can anyone recommend a wireless dongle for a laptop?

Our first trip to WDW was November 2012 - Trip report at http://www.oztoworld.blogspot.com.au/
dabecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #44
Andona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl
So is there a website that it's best to purchase this from? And do they have international internet options for laptops?
I looked into this as well but decided that it was easier just to use the free wifi at our hotels as well as Starbucks and Maccas when we needed the laptop. I read some reports that indicate you may be able to get an Optus dongle unlocked and just buy a sim for it while travelling but it limits you to AT &T or T Mobile in the USA (they're the only ones with sims) and there is also some questions about whether your dongle will be compatible with their networks.

I read several posts that said Sprint and Verizon had the best coverage/speeds etc and that the best thing to do if you really had to have wifi while on the road with your laptop is to go into a telco store and buy a dongle plus a prepaid plan. There's some good info here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...usa-south.html

I wish the Americans made this a bit easier, Shuttergirl I imagine you'd really like a modem/dongle that you could use in both the USA and Europe ( I know I would!) but it seems that's a reall challenge.

I also wondered about tethering my laptop to my phone and using the unlimited data on an AT&T phone sim but I've read that AT&T disable tethering with their prepaid plans

If you do get onto a really good solution for mobile wifi for the laptop I'd love to hear about it. DS would love to be able to use Facebook etc on his netbook on the long drives through Texas etc .

Andona

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Old 08-02-2012, 02:08 AM   #45
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabecs View Post
Just saw on Touring Plans that Magic Kingdom now has free wifi

So I think our plan will be to buy 2 cheapie prepaids to call each other if we split up and then use iPhones in the park (for Dis and Lines style apps).

We will try to Skype the inlaws but don't plan to call anyone else, can skype from my laptop - think I will buy a dongle for that rather than rely in wifi hotspots though..
I would love to leave this to my husband because he is far more techy than me but alas I can't handle things being organised at the last minute. I'd have an ulcer and he's a bit unreliable hahaha.

He's pretty keen to unlock our iphones and get the travel gear sims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andona View Post
I looked into this as well but decided that it was easier just to use the free wifi at our hotels as well as Starbucks and Maccas when we needed the laptop. I read some reports that indicate you may be able to get an Optus dongle unlocked and just buy a sim for it while travelling but it limits you to AT &T or T Mobile in the USA (they're the only ones with sims) and there is also some questions about whether your dongle will be compatible with their networks.

I read several posts that said Sprint and Verizon had the best coverage/speeds etc and that the best thing to do if you really had to have wifi while on the road with your laptop is to go into a telco store and buy a dongle plus a prepaid plan. There's some good info here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...usa-south.html

I wish the Americans made this a bit easier, Shuttergirl I imagine you'd really like a modem/dongle that you could use in both the USA and Europe ( I know I would!) but it seems that's a reall challenge.

I also wondered about tethering my laptop to my phone and using the unlimited data on an AT&T phone sim but I've read that AT&T disable tethering with their prepaid plans

If you do get onto a really good solution for mobile wifi for the laptop I'd love to hear about it. DS would love to be able to use Facebook etc on his netbook on the long drives through Texas etc .

Andona

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Andona - last time we went Aussietravellers put me onto the Virgin dongle through Best buys and I used my internet everynight on my laptop, updating all you Disers on our daily adventures and it was perfect speed, no worries. I think we paid $99ish plus perhaps some credit. It doesn't work for me to rely on free wifi for 2 reasons. I want to be able to use the internet for my business when it suits without having to leave my room and also my family go to bed so damn early, playing on the laptop is my nightly entertainment .

I think I might get something from Best Buys again since you say that there doesn't seem to be a good "international" solution for both my holidays. We get free wifi at our London and Paris apartments so I just need to fill in the blanks for Scotland and Ireland I think.

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: