Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #16
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Sugarglider and any other mobile knowledgeable peeps - do you mind if I jump in with a few questions also?

If we are only using our iphones to text each other if separated, or in an emergency a quick phone call to each other (not likely to happen often) - would this be our best option? Our iphones are locked phones so I don't think we can put other sims in them.

We would not be using our mobiles for any app usage or internet usage. We will be buying some type of Mobile Broadband device for that.

Or should we just do what we've done in the past and buy cheap prepaid phones when we get there?

Would love opinions.

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

we are also contemplating this option. last time we took my unlocked handset with a cheap telstra prepaid sim card - it was great for sending texts and making quick phone calls back home from the preloaded credit and no nasty roaming charges when we got home... so that was best for us from a 'calling home' perspective.

we took our laptop, and just used the hotel's wifi if/when we needed it (all our hotels had free internet bar one, which had a package for $25.00 for unlimited use during our 5 day stay). we also used the hotel's room phone to make any local calls (shuttle pick up confirmation, local take out dinner, spa booking confirmation etc). those calls cost us approx $75c each on our hotel bill

we are thinking of taking the cheap telstra prepaid sim card again for our international calls back home, or using skype for voice calls back home from our wifi internet. we didn't have any need for an internet stick for the laptop as we had sufficient internet coverage in the hotels, although i can understand if you're going out of a city and need reliable internet service.

if your handset is locked, you can ask the mobile company unlock it for you.

we didn't do much texting to each other in the parks/cities etc. we just had a designated meeting place in each location and if we split up, we'd meet at the agreed upon location at the agreed upon time and then go our seperate ways again -- kinda like we used to pre-mobile phones.
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #18
becpee
I see sock puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl View Post
Sugarglider and any other mobile knowledgeable peeps - do you mind if I jump in with a few questions also?

If we are only using our iphones to text each other if separated, or in an emergency a quick phone call to each other (not likely to happen often) - would this be our best option? Our iphones are locked phones so I don't think we can put other sims in them.

We would not be using our mobiles for any app usage or internet usage. We will be buying some type of Mobile Broadband device for that.

Or should we just do what we've done in the past and buy cheap prepaid phones when we get there?

Would love opinions.
Is your iPhone with Telstra?
If so you can take it o/s and put a local sim in and it will work, you don't need o get it unlocked.

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

becpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #19
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Our iphones are with Optus so not sure what we need to do there.

Alicia - we found that the hotels we were staying at had outrageous internet charges so last time we paid something like $99 for a Virgin mobile broadband device and we used it for 3 weeks. This time we are going away for 5 weeks so I want to make sure to choose the best option, but also the most convenient option.

Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Old 05-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #20
becpee
I see sock puppets

Quote:
Our iphones are with Optus so not sure what we need to do there.
Not sure if their phones would have the same thing

I *think* Optus are the same as Telstra with taking phones overseas, they'll unlock it for free but it can take a few days apparently.

As per Whirlpool
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1030874

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Old 05-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #21
JennyN
Mouseketeer

Thanks Sugarglider, you have been a great help. Thanks for your patience.

Disneyland 1985, 93, 96, 98, 99, 02, 03, 05, 07,April 08 and Dec '08, Sept '11 and Dec '11, Nov '12, July '13 and Dec '13.
WDW 03,05,10 and 2011 Disney Wonder Cruise 2010
JennyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #22
aussieGeorge68
Can't wait for September

Quote:

Would love opinions.
If you are not going to use iphone features, then I would say get a cheap prepaid. Unlocking the phone and getting the SIM to work is going to be a lot of hassle. If you have a prepaid iphone or don't know how to connect your phone to itunes on a PC or MAC, then I would suggest it will be too hard or expensive for you to use your iphone oversees.

If you are still thinking about using you iphone, then next step is to call your telephone carrier and ask them to unlock your iphone. After they unlock it you will then need to connect it to itunes on your PC or MAC to complete the process. Firstly start up itunes on your computer and allow it to update to the latest version of itunes if required, then connect the iphone to the PC via the cable.

I want high speed data on an iphone 4s so I intend to use this company:
http://www.prepaidsimcard.org
you get to use the fully compatible AT&T network without dealing directly with AT&T, but these SIM cards are 80 Euros! for 30 days (data included).

The T-mobile company has SIMs that will work on an iphone, but only in a basic mode (GSM-edge), there may be some call coverage issues and the data speed will be slower. I think you can get prepaid T-Mobile SIMs from Australia try:
http://www.travelsim.net.au/

Don't deal with AT&T directly, or via a US store. While AT&T has a compatible network, they are not very friendly to travellers and cut off data on iphones with pre-paid plans. Unless you are very technical, don't deal with AT&T directly. It took some of the top apple developers the best part of a day to get an iphone4 working on AT&T prepaid. While its the most cost effective option it seems too hard and risky for me.

Sep/Oct 2012 - Universal 5 nights Hardrock Hotel. Disney Dream 23 Sep 2012 (4 night Bahamian). Walt Disney World 7 nights Windsor Hills Pool Home & 2 nights Wilderness Lodge.

Aug/Sep 2008 Disneyland, CA - 6 Nights Grand Californian. Walt Disney World - 7 nights All Star Music & 5 Nights Polynesian.

Sep/Oct 2006 - Disneyland, CA - 8 nights Double Tree Guest Suites & 2 nights Grand Californian

May 2003 - Disneyland, CA - Disneyland Hotel.
aussieGeorge68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:55 AM   #23
marvel
DIS Veteran

Good advice from everyone, but do NOT use global roaming on your phone even for texting. As soon as it is turned on you get charged for every call you also receive, so anyone that calls you from Oz will be costing you plenty. And by plenty i don't mean hundreds, it costs thousands.

On a recent trip another aussie poolside went ape at his 8 yr old son for downloading 1 app on his iphone, cost him $1800. no kidding. so if you happen to use any data like google maps on your phone, it will cost a lot.

even just a quick call back home will cost hundreds, it is just crazy. I cannot stress that enough. Global roaming will kill you!
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #24
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Okay okay okay Marvel has suitably scared me lol.

We will buy some cheapy prepaid phones.

So now that that decision is made, would our best bet be to buy online at Bestbuys, along with the broadband wifi internet stick and have them delivered to our WDW resort a few days before we arrive? That way they will be there when we get there? We don't arrive into Orlando until 9.30pm at night, all going to plan so by the time we get to the resort etc after so much travelling it would be good if they were there ready for my husband to activate bwahaha. Last time it was super easy, we flew into NYC, went straight to Bestbuys in Times Square and the guy there activated everything and we were up and running super quick.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #25
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Okay okay okay Marvel has suitably scared me lol.

We will buy some cheapy prepaid phones.

So now that that decision is made, would our best bet be to buy online at Bestbuys, along with the broadband wifi internet stick and have them delivered to our WDW resort a few days before we arrive? That way they will be there when we get there? We don't arrive into Orlando until 9.30pm at night, all going to plan so by the time we get to the resort etc after so much travelling it would be good if they were there ready for my husband to activate bwahaha. Last time it was super easy, we flew into NYC, went straight to Bestbuys in Times Square and the guy there activated everything and we were up and running super quick.
Have you still got those phones?
We kept ours and we can just go online and recharge them.
I used net10 we could call Aus for 5 cents a min you did have to call or activate that bit online.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #26
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMUMOF4 View Post
Have you still got those phones?
We kept ours and we can just go online and recharge them.
I used net10 we could call Aus for 5 cents a min you did have to call or activate that bit online.
Nah I think we just tossed them . Bummer.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #27
Aust
DIS Veteran

My global roaming charges were ok last year, I only had $30 credit on my phone before we left and came home with most of that still - but I don't have internet on my phone and I just sent a few text messages mainly to my MIL (who was in Thailand with her phone on global roaming also).

Think I will bar my husband from taking his phone at all, he's the one who would be racking up the huge charges checking in on Facebook etc.

My killer was making a phone call to my husband back home on the credit card pay phones in the hotel lobby, 15 minutes cost me $90!
2007 DLR (DLH)
1991 DL Tokyo
Aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #28
Mum from oz
DIS Veteran

Here what I have done:

Went to Target in the USA and got Tracfone per paid cheap phones with sim cards. Cost about $15 plus credit. Very cheap and easy option.

This year I took my iPhone. I am a little obsessed with it so I went with the T-Mobile sim card from Travelgear. I also purchased the $60 credit for one month. It cost less that $100. This has gotten me:
Unlimited phone calls to US landlines and mobile numbers
Unlimited Texts to US numbers
Free calls to AUSSIE landlines
33c min calls to Aussie mobiles (you will need to buy more credit either from Travelgear or even any 7 eleven type place.

I activated in about five minutes using Sydney airports free wi fi. Once in LA I put in my sim card (don't forget the iPhone sim tray unlock tool/or use a paper clip!) and it worked straight away.

I have been using it for Facebook, checking it out and checking in everywhere. Using it for browsing the net, checking email, Googleing places etc. I have also been using the WDW app for touring plans and line. I have absolutely loved this option and would use it again n a heartbeat.
2013 - Vegas Wedding, Western Caribbean Fantasy Cruise, WDW 1st time onsite!!
Mum from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #29
becpee
I see sock puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mum from oz View Post
This year I took my iPhone. I am a little obsessed with it so I went with the T-Mobile sim card from Travelgear. I also purchased the $60 credit for one month. It cost less that $100. This has gotten me:
Unlimited phone calls to US landlines and mobile numbers
Unlimited Texts to US numbers
Free calls to AUSSIE landlines
33c min calls to Aussie mobiles (you will need to buy more credit either from Travelgear or even any 7 eleven type place.

I activated in about five minutes using Sydney airports free wi fi. Once in LA I put in my sim card (don't forget the iPhone sim tray unlock tool/or use a paper clip!) and it worked straight away.

I have been using it for Facebook, checking it out and checking in everywhere. Using it for browsing the net, checking email, Googleing places etc. I have also been using the WDW app for touring plans and line. I have absolutely loved this option and would use it again n a heartbeat.
Sounds like a plan

Old 05-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #30
battymum
DIS Veteran

We used the travelgear sim last year in an Iphone - no problems - it also has unlimited data - and unlimited international texts, which Mum from Oz didnt mention - a bit slow, couldnt upload photos to facebook at all - but was able to keep in touch. My DD16 spent the entire trip with it glued to her hand - hang on, she spends her entire life with it glued to her hand

We paid for it, and made a couple of calls back home to our parents, so I guess that made it expensive per call for us, but DD was never out of touch with her mates.

We only had one, so relied on the old fashioned way of picking a meeting place - we all came home together, so you can still manage that way.
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: