Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #76
jabead
DIS Veteran

Background: With this being a longer than normal trip for us, I decided that we should spend a whole day at Downtown Disney...something we hadn't done for a couple of years. So in terms of food, a full day meant from breakfast to dinner. That's three meals or three new restaurants/food venues we could try. I was very excited just thinking about all the possibilities. But then about a week before our trip, I made the mistake of discussing my dining plans with my daughters. When told of my plans for our DTD day, their response was..."Couldn't we just skip breakfast and sleep-in an extra hour?" WHAT??? And give up the opportunity to finally try some of the breakfast foods at Wolfgang Puck Express??? No way!!! So I had to do some quick thinking to avoid this potential mutiny. In my most diplomatic voice, I proposed a deal to my rebellious offspring. If they joined me for breakfast at WPE, then they could each choose where we would have one of our other two meals of this day. They took the bait...I mean, they accepted my proposal. So now I just needed to convince them that the new places that I wanted to try, were the ones that they wanted to try. DD2 was a pushover, she was all for combining our lunch with seeing a movie. One down, one to go. I then started working on DD1, suggesting that we could have dinner at Portobello since we all like Italian food. No, she didn't want to have Italian again so soon after our dinner at Il Mulino. Okay then, how about if we try the Cuban food at Bongo's? No, she didn't feel like Cuban food. What? How do you know that you won't feel like Cuban food a week from now??? Yes, I thought this, but what I said to her was, "How about Fulton's for seafood?" No, we will be having seafood the night before at bluezoo. At this point I knew where this was heading and that my plan to try all new places at Downtown Disney had been foiled. I resigned myself to the fact that we would be having...

Dinner at Raglan Road Irish Pub and Restaurant

Now don't get me wrong, I really do like Raglan Road. It's just that it is the one table-service restaurant at Downtown Disney where we have eaten, and not just once but at least four times. So I just thought it might be nice to try something new, but I guess we are in fact creatures of habit...even at the ripe-old age of 22. Okay I'm done with the complaining, now on to our review...

We arrived at Raglan Road about a 1/2 hour before our 7:00 reservation, but this was not a problem. In fact, they seated us so quickly that my DDs barely got their feet into the door of the Raglan Road gift shop...thereby saving me a few dollars. I asked that we be seated in the main dining area where all the action takes place and my request was granted. By all the action, I of course mean the entertainment, which includes the Raglan Road Irish Dancers and their house band, Creel.

I was so distracted by the wonderful entertainment (and taking pictures of them), that I completely forgot to take pictures of the menu. So here is a link to the dinner menu on the Raglan Road website.

http://www.raglanroad.com/stuff-yourself/dinner-menu

And speaking of their website, I learned many things about Raglan Road that I had not known before. For instance, I discovered that Raglan Road is indeed a "TRUE" IRISH PUB. Its owners and chef (Kevin Dundon) are from Ireland, the band members and dancers are Irish-born, most of the furnishings were custom-made in Ireland, and even the four antique bars (which are each more than 130 years old) were imported from Ireland. In fact, according to the website, "the bleedin' building's from Ireland." "Built entirely in Ireland, shipped lock, stock & beer barrel to Downtown Disney." So I doubt that you could find a more authentic Irish pub outside of the country of Ireland.

Getting back to our dinner now...DD1 was having a difficult time deciding which of the many beers to order from the Drinks Menu. And then she spotted this in the Specialty Libations section of the menu...

Iced Irish - Irelands answer to Starbucks with alcohol added of course. Baileys Caramel Irish Cream, Butterscotch Schnapps, Bushmills whiskey & coffee topped off with fresh cream

She loved this and said that she was impressed by the generous amount of alcohol it contained.

Next came our basket of Irish Soda Bread, which I thought I took a picture of but can't seem to find it. So in lieu of a picture, here is a link to a video I found of Chef Kevin Dundon demonstrating how to make the Raglan Road Irish Soda Bread...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...wntown-disney/

I know some people don't like this bread, but I happen to really enjoy it. But only when it is dipped in the Guinness beer/brown sugar sauce that they serve with it. Yum!

For an appetizer, I really wanted to order the Appetizer D'Lirrah for us all to share. This is a sampler platter of some of their most popular appetizers, the Dalkey duo, Scallop forrest, Heaven on Earth and Nom Nom Wings. However we decided that we weren't that hungry so instead DD1 and I shared this...

Heaven on Earth - Baby back ribs tossed in a Guinness glaze

I think these are appropriately named because they were tender and delicious, covered with the same Guinness dipping sauce as was served with the bread I believe.

DD1 and I also shared an entree. Here is where I must admit that I too am very much a creature of habit because every time (including this one) I've been to Raglan Road I have always had this for my entree.

Fish & Chips - Beer battered cod and thick-cut french fries

Our server told us that Raglan Road flies their fish in from Boston daily so it is always very fresh. I apologize for not taking a better picture of this, one where you could actually see the portion size. Although there was just one piece of fish, it was large enough for the two of us to share, plus there were a lot of french fries to eat. I've always really enjoyed the Fish & Chips here, so it would be really difficult for me to order anything else at Raglan Road.

However, I can always count on DD2 to try something different every time. This time she chose...

It's a Porker - Grilled pork chop with colcannon potatoes & a port cider jus with apple chutney

She said that this was good, but not nearly as good as the pork chop she had Le Cellier the day before.

Since DD1 and I had shared our appetizer and entree, we still had room for dessert. But not a lot of room, so again we shared this...

Ger's Bread & Butter Pudding with Butterscotch and Custard Sauces (served on the side in small pitchers)

This is another must-have during each and every visit to Raglan Road and it was again delicious. The only bad thing about it is that it is so big and filling that even the two of us couldn't finish it all.

Writing this review made me curious as to how difficult the Raglan Road Bread & Butter Pudding would be to make at home. In case you are interested, here is a link to the recipe I found: http://allears.net/din/recipes/rec_bbpd.htm

While reading through the ingredients for this, I had to chuckle when I saw that the raisins were to be soaked in Irish mist. I was wondering if this might be on the same order as the Raspberry air that is part of Le Cellier's cheesecake dessert??? But then I found that Irish mist is actually an Irish Whiskey Liqueur. Ahhhh...that makes sense!!! After all, it seems that most of the food at Raglan Road has some form of alcohol involved...Guinness dipping sauce/marinade, beer-battered fish, port cider jus, etc. So why am I not surprised that their signature dessert has whiskey-soaked raisins.

As far as I know though, DD2's dessert did not contain any form of alchohol. She spotted this raspberry dessert on the menu and she was sold.

Dundon's Delight - Raspberry pavlova with vanilla pod (bean) ice cream and raspberry sauce

Now when she ordered this, she had no idea what pavlova was but with the dessert having "raspberry" listed twice in the description she figured it had to be good. Well, I guess she figured wrong because she gave this only an "Okay" rating. It turns out that she is not a fan of pavlova, which (just in case you too are not familiar with) is a meringue dessert with a crisp and crunchy outer shell, and a soft, moist marshmallow-like center.

So our overall rating for this meal was: Very Good

The next time we visit Downtown Disney, perhaps we will try one of the other many table-service restaurants there. But then again, since we have always had very good meals at Raglan Road, maybe we will just stick with it. You know what they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

NEXT UP: Breakfast at Sleepy Hollow

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan

Last edited by jabead; 06-20-2012 at 07:15 AM.
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #77
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Great review of Raglan Road! My mom just loves those ribs and I really enjoyed the bread pudding.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #78
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Ok...I kind of loved your AMC review! You just have a way of making all of your reviews fun and I love the stories behind them. I'm not a real fish or seafood lover (unless it's breaded and deep fried!!!) so I might actually need to give the fish & chips a try at Raglan Road. It sounds yummy! Can't wait to see what you have at Sleepy Hollow!
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #79
jerseytinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the Fork & Screen review! I keep trying to talk DH into eating there, but he's not feeling it for some reason. It looks really good though! The theater is so cool looking too! I have to check it out one of these days.

Your Raglan Road meal looks delicious! I absolutely must try that Iced Irish drink next time. Yum! I ate at Raglan Road a few years ago and I went just for the Bread and Butter Pudding and when we went to order dessert they were all out of it that day. Very disappointing. I definitely have to make another trip to Raglan Road if only for the drink and the dessert.
jerseytinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #80
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

I lvoe Raglan Road and am also a creature of habit - I always get the fish and chips. They are so delicious. Sadly, DH is not keen on RR so we haven't been there in a couple of trips but I am determined to change all that...
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #81
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

Great reviews and lovely pictures! You have me dying to eat breakfast at Wolfgang Puck Express. That pocket looks amaaaaaazing. I'm REALLY looking forward to your Bistro de Paris review! That's one restaurant that doesn't seem to get mentioned much on the board, and my DH has been eying it for awhile so I'm interested to hear about your experience!
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #82
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Just for the record I could totally tell what your food was at the theater - before the edits! It actually didn't look bad.

So many people are fans of Raglan... I've never been so your review is definitely swaying me in a positive direction. And the Pavlova.... I have made this several times and I love it. I make it different ways - bananas foster, fresh berries, chocolate & peanut butter chips and I've also made it with caramel sauce and creme anglaise. I would love to try theirs now that I know they serve it.

But what really stood out for me... the bread pudding. I will take that any day over most desserts.

You did a great job exercising your diplomacy and influence to get three meals at DTD in a single day!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #83
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
Great review of Raglan Road! My mom just loves those ribs and I really enjoyed the bread pudding.
Thanks Donald! If it would have been up to me, I'd have had a hard time deciding which of these two to name "Heaven on Earth".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00 View Post
Ok...I kind of loved your AMC review! You just have a way of making all of your reviews fun and I love the stories behind them. I'm not a real fish or seafood lover (unless it's breaded and deep fried!!!) so I might actually need to give the fish & chips a try at Raglan Road. It sounds yummy! Can't wait to see what you have at Sleepy Hollow!

Wow, Tracerr00, you totally just made my day! Thank you so much.
And I just finished my Sleepy Hollow review, so I'll have it posted soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
I lvoe Raglan Road and am also a creature of habit - I always get the fish and chips. They are so delicious. Sadly, DH is not keen on RR so we haven't been there in a couple of trips but I am determined to change all that...

Yes, husbands are sometimes like children, aren't they? They require a little bit of "delicate negotiation" before they give you what you want. But I can definitely see some Raglan Road fish & chips in your near future. Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlovesC View Post
Great reviews and lovely pictures! You have me dying to eat breakfast at Wolfgang Puck Express. That pocket looks amaaaaaazing. I'm REALLY looking forward to your Bistro de Paris review! That's one restaurant that doesn't seem to get mentioned much on the board, and my DH has been eying it for awhile so I'm interested to hear about your experience!

Yay, a new reader! Thanks for joining in and commenting. I have just 5 more reviews to do before I get to the one for Bistro de Paris. So at my current pace, maybe check back here in about two or three weeks??? Just kidding...I hope.

Oh, and I must tell you that I am so jealous that you live so close to Disney World.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Just for the record I could totally tell what your food was at the theater - before the edits! It actually didn't look bad.

So many people are fans of Raglan... I've never been so your review is definitely swaying me in a positive direction. And the Pavlova.... I have made this several times and I love it. I make it different ways - bananas foster, fresh berries, chocolate & peanut butter chips and I've also made it with caramel sauce and creme anglaise. I would love to try theirs now that I know they serve it.

But what really stood out for me... the bread pudding. I will take that any day over most desserts.

You did a great job exercising your diplomacy and influence to get three meals at DTD in a single day!

Wow, your pavlova sounds much better to me than Raglan Road's. But if I had a choice of any kind of pavlova or RR's bread pudding, then the bread pudding would definitely win!

And being a mother, I'm sure you too have had to learn the fine art of negotiation.

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
Old 06-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #84
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseytinkerbell View Post
Thanks for the Fork & Screen review! I keep trying to talk DH into eating there, but he's not feeling it for some reason. It looks really good though! The theater is so cool looking too! I have to check it out one of these days.

Your Raglan Road meal looks delicious! I absolutely must try that Iced Irish drink next time. Yum! I ate at Raglan Road a few years ago and I went just for the Bread and Butter Pudding and when we went to order dessert they were all out of it that day. Very disappointing. I definitely have to make another trip to Raglan Road if only for the drink and the dessert.

Oops, I just realized that I missed your post jerseytink. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I hope your DH changes his mind soon about the Fork & Screen. And what a bummer about missing out on the Bread & Butter Pudding at Raglan Road. I had that happen to me once at Citrico's with their Chocolate Banana Torte, so I can definitely relate.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:19 PM   #85
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Great review of Raglan Road
We have never tried it but I see many great reviews so we must visit one day
I think the bread and butter pudding looks divine
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #86
jabead
DIS Veteran

Day 4 - May 18th

Background: Over the years, I've passed by Sleepy Hollow countless times while on my way to something or another in Liberty Square but never once stopped by to investigate. I even recall that once I caught a whiff of something wonderful while walking in that area, yet still didn't bother to find out the source of the delicious smell. Then shortly before my birthday trip in May 2011, I read reviews here about the wonderful funnel cakes and giant Mickey Mouse waffles at Sleepy Hollow. I finally knew then what I had missed out on for all those years and I vowed that I would pay a visit to Sleepy Hollow on my very next trip. And so here is a picture of the delicious funnel cake that I shared with DD1 on our trip last year.

Sleepy Hollow Funnel Cake - May 2011

So my next goal was to try a giant Mickey Mouse waffle, because shamefully I had never had a Mickey Waffle...giant or otherwise. Unfortunately though, I didn't make it back to Sleepy Hollow on my next trip (Nov. 2011) due to lack of time, so I was determined to do so on this trip. Nothing would stop me from having a Mickey Mouse waffle for...

Breakfast at Sleepy Hollow

Or so I thought.

Here's how it all went down...

After spending the first hour or so of the morning in Fastasyland, I was more than ready for my breakfast treat.

{On a side note: You may recall from an earlier review that traditionally I try to make Soarin' my first ride of most trips, as it is my favorite. Well, after having spent more than 2 days at Disney World, we hadn't yet been on one single ride. So what ride ends up being our very first of the trip???.......Goofy's Barnstormer (excuse me, make that "Barnstormer featuring the Great Goofini" ). Hey what can I say, Dumbo was not open that morning for some reason. Anyway, while Barnstormer is a great first rollercoaster ride for little kids and their parents (in fact we hadn't ridden it since the kids were little), but for three grown women I'd have to admit that this was pretty dull. The one redeeming quality is that one time during the ride we were high enough to catch a glimpse over the tall construction wall and get a sneak peek of the unfinished area of the new Fantasyland. After this we of course had to ride Snow White's Scary Adventures since it was closing permanently at the end of May, and then we rode It's a Small World because...well just because. }

So anyway, after all this excitement you can see how we desperately needed a quiet and relaxing breakfast break at Sleepy Hollow. And so, I confidently walked straight up to their counter to place our order, as there was no need to look at the menu...I knew exactly what I wanted. The nice, elderly woman taking my order reminded me so much of my grandmother, who passed away almost 20 years ago. "I'll have a Mickey Waffle with strawberries and whip cream, please," I said in my most polite and respectful voice. And that's when my bubble was burst by these words, "I'm sorry dear but we don't have the Mickey-shaped waffles anymore, we now have only regular waffles or waffle sandwiches. There is a Nutella and Fresh Fruit Waffle sandwich that is really good, would you like to try that?" Feeling somewhat defeated I replied, "Yes, Grandma (I mean, Ma'am), I will try that." After all, how can you say no to your grandma, right???

So as I'm waiting at the pick-up counter while they prepare my earless waffle , I'm wondering....how in the world did I miss this??? I knew about the new waffle sandwiches, but somehow I completely missed the fact that they took the place of the Mickey shaped ones. But then I was presented with this delicious looking creation...

Nutella and Fresh Fruit Waffle Sandwich

So did it taste as good as it looked? Pretty much, yes! Two of us gave it a rating of "Very Good" and DD1 gave it a "Good", as she is not a fan of Nutella. At the time I didn't think about it, but after reading Linda67's recent review of this waffle, I would have to say that I totally agree with her. It definitely would have been better with a big dollop of whip cream on top. Then again, I think it might be worthy of a Tinkerbell "Excellent" rating if they also held the blueberries and the Nutella. So a waffle (preferably with, but acceptable without ears) with strawberries and bananas, and topped with whip cream. Maybe even add some chocolate syrup? Ahhh...Perfection! A girl can dream, can't she???

Oh, by the way, I just did an online search regarding the demise of the Mickey-shaped waffles at Sleepy Hollow and here is a link to the announcement that appeared on the Disney Food Blog (look under "Other Menu Changes" at the bottom of the article):

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/1...sleepy-hollow/

In my defense though, the article was posted on Nov. 13, 2011 so I probably didn't read it. Because where was I on Nov. 13, 2011???...none other than Magic Kingdom!

Wow, this has to be the longest review of one single food item to ever be posted on these boards. Sorry about that!

NEXT UP: Tea for Two (plus One)

Last edited by jabead; 06-27-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:49 AM   #87
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

That's so cute that Goofy's Barnstormer (I'm stuck on the old name) was your first ride! At least you got a peek over that wall.

I read Linda's review of the nutella/fruit waffle so she answered my question about what the heck Nutella actually is. However, it looks delish!

I have a question about the funnel cakes... can you get them with any fruit on them?? Too bad they don't serve them with whip cream. Everythings better with whip cream!
Old 06-21-2012, 01:23 AM   #88
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

I still maintain that the waffle with Nutella and fresh fruit looks better than it actually tastes. I am a fan of 'dry' food but, even to me, that looks like it would be too dry. I'm with you - hold the blueberries (and the whip cream, preferably) and add a huge dollop of hot fudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
I read Linda's review of the nutella/fruit waffle so she answered my question about what the heck Nutella actually is.
How the heck did you get through raising kids without knowing what Nutella is
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:52 AM   #89
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

DS is a nutella addict and that waffle is #1 on his try list next trip! I think we will probably split one (meaning I will get the strawberries as he doesn't like them and maybe a bite of waffe!)
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #90
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
I still maintain that the waffle with Nutella and fresh fruit looks better than it actually tastes. I am a fan of 'dry' food but, even to me, that looks like it would be too dry. I'm with you - hold the blueberries (and the whip cream, preferably) and add a huge dollop of hot fudge

How the heck did you get through raising kids without knowing what Nutella is
My kid's must be as deprived as I was!! With all of this talk of nutella I'm going to have to go out and buy some and write a mini review on it!

Have a great day Joh!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: