Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #151
sunshineNJ
DIS Veteran

Loved your reviews!! What a GREAT trip with your daughters.
sunshineNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #152
jabead
DIS Veteran

BACKGROUND: My family had twice dined at Tutto Italia since it opened in 2007. The first time, the food was not very good (except for the lasagna) but the service was fine. The second time (March 2010), the food was a little better but the service was terrible. Consequently, we were in no great hurry to return. But then I heard that they would be re-opening with a new menu in early May, after undergoing a nearly 4 month long renovation. After much thought, I decided that this might be the best time to give Tutto Italia another try. During this “Grand Reopening ” time, they would surely want to put their very best foot forward, right???

So please join us as we test my hypothesis at our….

LUNCH AT TUTTO ITALIA

Upon check-in for our 12:00 reservation, we were immediately taken to a booth in the main dining room of the restaurant. I was happy to be seated at a booth, as it seemed more private than the regular tables. We spent the next few minutes looking around to see what might have been changed during the renovations. Other than the replacement of some regular tables by booth-type seating, we did not notice any other significant changes. The paintings and murals remained on the walls, the chandeliers still hung from the ceiling, the chairs and regular tables seemed to be the same, and even the carpeting appeared to be unchanged (didn’t look to be brand new). However, since it has been more than two years since our last visit, we could very well be wrong. So I’ve included a few pictures that I took and perhaps those of you who have a better memory and/or have been to Tutto Italia more recently can either confirm or dispute our observations.

Something I did notice that I think might be new are the very large colored glass vases and flowers. These appeared to be Murano glass and I thought they were quite pretty.

I have one more thing to tell you about before moving on to the food portion of our review. Hopefully it might tickle your funny bone just a bit. With only one exception that I recall, we have found that our servers at both of the current Italian restaurants (as well as the old Alfredo's) at Epcot have been young and shall we say, “easy on the eyes”. With this in mind, I think my girls stepped it up just a bit today from their normal park attire, hair, and make-up. So you can imagine their disappointment when we were immediately greeted by our service team…a white-haired elderly gentleman and the young girl he was training. Sorry girls, no “eye” candy for lunch today…better luck next time. (At least we still had lunch at Via Napoli to look forward to. )

Okay, now let’s bring on the food. But first, here is Tutto Italia’s new lunch menu…

Tutto Italia's New Lunch Menu

We were first brought glasses of water and their complimentary bread service, both of which we would have had to pay for if we were in an actual Italian restaurant...something which surprised us while dining in Italy.

Soft (focaccia) and hard breadsticks, olive oil, and olives

DD1 really liked the hard breadsticks, and DD2 and I prefered the soft ones. None of us really cared for their olive oil or the olives, as they had pits. It might just be me, but I find it uncomfortable (perhaps even a little gross) to have to spit out olive pits while dining at a nice restaurant. So if this is also an issue for you, then stay clear of these olives.

DD1 and I started by ordering a cocktail, a Bellini for me and a Rossini for her, and both were rated as “Good”.

Rossini (Strawberry Puree and Prosecco) and Bellini (Peach Puree and Prosecco)

We then chose this appetizer to share…

Fiori di Zucca - Fried zucchini flowers with lemon and ricotta & parmesan cheeses

If I were to rate these based on taste only, I would have given the fried zucchini a “Very Good” rating as they were quite tasty. But given their rather high price tag ($12, or $4 per piece) and lackluster presentation, I had to lower their rating to just “Good”. Although DD2 disliked these (so much so that she gave them her first and possibly only “Captain Hook” Bad rating), DD1 agreed with my assessment. So with two against one, the Fried Zucchini was given an overall rating of “Good”. Also, in case you were wondering, DD2 does not like either zucchini or anything lemon-flavored (the lemon flavor was not overwhelming but could be tasted), so I wasn’t at all surprised that she didn’t care for these.

For her entrée, DD1 chose one of the three paninis listed on their new menu…

Caprese Panini - Thick-cut tomato slices, basil, Fior di Latte mozzarella, oregano, and extra virgin olive oil

Ever since our trip to Italy when she discovered her love for the combination of tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, and basil (aka the Caprese salad), she has jumped at the chance to have it again whenever the opportunity arises. Therefore, I was pretty sure that she would order this and would very much enjoy it. However, she actually didn’t like it as much as I thought she would and gave it only a “Good” rating. I think perhaps the tomatoes weren’t quite as ripe as she likes them and therefore lacked the delicious flavor of a fully-ripened, fresh tomato. Also I should note that we both really liked the "crisps" (not really sure what these are called) that were served with her panini. They kind of reminded me of the fried wonton strips that are sometimes served on Asian salads. Anyway, they were quite yummy and a nice change from the usual sides of potato chips or french fries that you get with sandwiches.

As for me, I had my eye on another panini listed on the menu …the Salumiere, which included three kinds of Italian salami topped with provolone cheese and an olive spread. Doesn’t that sound good? Well, sadly that was not meant to be because DD2 asked if I would share the entrée which she had her heart set on. Knowing that we had a French dinner awaiting us that evening, the guilt won out over my desire to try something new and I agreed to share this pasta dish with her…

Lasagna alla Bolognese - Traditional preparation with Emilia-Romagna (a region in Northern Italy) beef sauce (aka Bolognese sauce), béchamel (a creamy white sauce), and parmesan cheese.

I’m happy to report that we both really enjoyed this (just as we had on our previous visits) and gave it a rating of “Very Good”. Truth be told, it was so good that I probably could have eaten the entire thing myself, but I’m glad I didn't because that left me some room to try one of the desserts. And speaking of desserts, here is their new Dessert menu…

After a little negotiation (as she wanted to again have Tiramisu since she had enjoyed it so much at Il Mulino), DD1 and I ordered this dessert to share…

Torta di Nocciole “Cortemilia” – Hazelnut Polenta Cake, topped with Nutella and Piemonte Cream

Doesn’t this look delicious? Well, the Nutella and sweet cream toppings were in fact pretty tasty, but not quite tasty enough to make up for the cake (and I believe they use that term loosely in this case) that lay underneath. The texture of this cake is actually more like a rather dry, dense brownie with nuts. So I guess if you like your "cake" dry and somewhat crunchy, then this is the dessert for you. But for us this was very disappointing, especially considering its rather high price of $12. Now to be fair, I should tell you that I have since seen some very favorable reviews of this dessert (including one by our very own Disboards Dining Reporter, DonaldDoleWhip), so I guess this goes to show that everyone’s tastes are different. With that in mind, my advice is that if you are curious about this unusual dessert then you should try it and decide for yourself if it is a magical “Tinkerbell” or a nasty “Captain Hook”. Oh, and FYI, this dessert is also available at the new Italian Wine Bar, Tutto Gusto.

Tip from DonaldDoleWhip: Donald paid only $8 for this dessert at Tutto Gusto. But hey, I bet his didn't have that lovely design printed on the plate. So now I'm thinking that I need to add a new Peter Pan character to my rating system just for this $12 dessert. Can anyone think of anyone worse than Captain Hook???

Since nuts (of any kind) are on DD2’s long list of foods she doesn’t like, she did her own thing for dessert and ordered this…

Chocolate Gelato

And oddly enough, the girl who had previously never met a gelato she didn’t like was not really a fan of this one, giving it just an “Okay” rating. But considering the price of $9, I feel this gelato should have tasted better than just okay so I'm giving it the “Hook”.

SO OUR OVERALL RATING FOR THIS MEAL: Good, but nothing special

Although DD2 and I really like the lasagna here, I don't feel that that's enough to warrant a return visit to Tutto Italia anytime in the near future. Even though we had a similar "Good, but nothing special" experience for our first visit to Il Mulino, I would have to say that we are more likely to give it another try sometime (and order different entrees) if we are wanting Italian food than to return to Tutto Italia for a fourth time. Sorry Tutto Italia fans.

NEXT UP: Dinner at Bistro de Paris

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan

Last edited by jabead; 07-05-2012 at 09:56 AM.
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #153
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Hi Barb. I've struggled with returning to Tutto post refurb. They removed my beloved canneloni (I've had the lasanga and agree it is very good) but I just think it is overpriced for what you get. None of the desserts tempt me and the appetizers are just ok. Now, that caprese panini (doesn't really look like a pannini but maybe not all panninis have grill marks??) does look very good! Those crisp things... hmmm... not so sure, seems a bit odd for Italian but what do I know.

I didn't see anything new or fresh in the decor from your photos so maybe TT re-furbed the kitchen??

Fabulous photos as always!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #154
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Hi Barb. I've struggled with returning to Tutto post refurb. They removed my beloved canneloni (I've had the lasanga and agree it is very good) but I just think it is overpriced for what you get. None of the desserts tempt me and the appetizers are just ok. Now, that caprese panini (doesn't really look like a pannini but maybe not all panninis have grill marks??) does look very good! Those crisp things... hmmm... not so sure, seems a bit odd for Italian but what do I know.
In Italian, "panino" means sandwich and isn't necessarily grilled. But in the USA, the word "panini" (plural form of panino, even though we use panini as a singular noun) has come to represent a grilled or toasted sandwich. In fact, I think the Tutto menu is somewhat misleading, since it says "add a house salad to any panini" (using "panini" in the singular form), when it really should say "panino" in order to make it clear that you're receiving a sandwich, not a panini. (I hope my high school Italian teachers would be proud right now )

Regarding Tutto, thanks for the detailed review (including lots of decor and food pics). I've also been on the fence about returning there, but frankly every time I look at the menu all I can think of is how overpriced it is. Sorry you didn't like the hazelnut polenta cake as much as I did! I didn't mind the dry and crunchy texture (in a strange way, I thought it made sense with the hazelnut flavor). But perhaps they should call it something besides "cake" so people don't expect a moist base. Also, at Tutto Gusto it only costs $8 (maybe they assume they can charge more for it at Tutto Italia since many people are paying there with dining credits).
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #155
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=DonaldDoleWhip;45335307]In Italian, "panino" means sandwich and isn't necessarily grilled. But in the USA, the word "panini" (plural form of panino, even though we use panini as a singular noun) has come to represent a grilled or toasted sandwich. In fact, I think the Tutto menu is somewhat misleading, since it says "add a house salad to any panini" (using "panini" in the singular form), when it really should say "panino" in order to make it clear that you're receiving a sandwich, not a panini. (I hope my high school Italian teachers would be proud right now )

QUOTE]

If your HS Italian teachers are not proud of you right now I AM!!! thanks for that info.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #156
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

I've got to admit that, as much as Tutto does appeal to me, I've always thought it to be in reliably overpriced for what you get. I know it's WDW but it just seems far too expensive. Via Napoli definitely seems to be the netters option for Italian dining.
wilma-bride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #157
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
Also, at Tutto Gusto it only costs $8 (maybe they assume they can charge more for it at Tutto Italia since many people are paying there with dining credits).

I just double-checked my receipt and I did in fact pay $12 for that dessert! But thanks for the tip about Tutto Gusto, Donald! It's too late for me but maybe it will save someone here those extra dollars, so I'll be sure to add the info to my review.

Oh, and when you are there next week, can you stop in at Tutto Italia and tell them that I want my $4 back?

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
Old 06-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #158
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle5 View Post
You make a VERY valid point!

And, I am finally caught up on your reviews! Your bringing back lots of good memories for me and tempting me to try some new things!

Well hi there, Belle! Thanks for checking back in here...I was afraid I'd lost you. But yeah, I'm still here slowly plugging away at my reviews. I only have about 15 more to go! I still can't believe how quickly (and yet how well) you did yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineNJ View Post
Loved your reviews!! What a GREAT trip with your daughters.

Thanks for reading, sunshine! And yes, it was a great trip...one of my favorites. But don't tell my DH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
I didn't see anything new or fresh in the decor from your photos so maybe TT re-furbed the kitchen??

Yes, I have to admit that I was a little disappointed that they hadn't made more changes to their dining room. I've never really liked their decor much. It doesn't really look like any of the restaurants that we went to in Italy...but it does look a little like one of the art museums we visited in Rome.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #159
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

I had been stressing that I don't have Tutto scheduled for our August trip. We are heading back to Via Napoli instead. Your review is making me comfortable with my decision. Those zucchini flowers were one of the reasons I wanted to try it but that portion size is crazy! Even having the dining plan, I don't want to feel 'cheated' by the price.

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Take on the Land! - July 2010 Trip Report
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #160
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

Thanks for the Tutto Review! I have to say it wasn't even on my Radar to start with and definitely isn't now! I have issues with paying so much for PASTA! Even I can make pasta at home and I am by no means a good cook! Via Nappoli however appeals to me because of the Pizza!! I love me a good Pizza! Still torn between Via and Le Cellier though... maybe I'll decide this month!
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #161
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
I've got to admit that, as much as Tutto does appeal to me, I've always thought it to be in reliably overpriced for what you get. I know it's WDW but it just seems far too expensive. Via Napoli definitely seems to be the netters option for Italian dining.
I have to admit that I had never heard that term (the netters option) used before so had to look it up. Now I can honestly say that I totally agree with you. And by the way, I really like how that sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
I had been stressing that I don't have Tutto scheduled for our August trip. We are heading back to Via Napoli instead. Your review is making me comfortable with my decision. Those zucchini flowers were one of the reasons I wanted to try it but that portion size is crazy! Even having the dining plan, I don't want to feel 'cheated' by the price.

You are a wise woman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps View Post
Thanks for the Tutto Review! I have to say it wasn't even on my Radar to start with and definitely isn't now! I have issues with paying so much for PASTA! Even I can make pasta at home and I am by no means a good cook! Via Nappoli however appeals to me because of the Pizza!! I love me a good Pizza! Still torn between Via and Le Cellier though... maybe I'll decide this month!

And you too are a wise woman! Regarding your dilemma though, I would always choose Le Cellier over Via Napoli, but that's mostly because I prefer Chicago-style deep dish pizza (and I can have some very good Chicago-style pizza without going too far from home ). But if you prefer thin crust pizza, then Via Napoli does serve a pretty darn good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Wow, those prices at Tutto Italia are crazy!
How can they charge that much for a panini and some gelato
Give me Earl Of Sandwich and Ghiardellis any time
And yet another wise woman!

Last edited by jabead; 07-02-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #162
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Wow, those prices at Tutto Italia are crazy!
How can they charge that much for a panini and some gelato
Give me Earl Of Sandwich and Ghiardellis any time
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #163
DisneyMomFanatic
DIS Veteran

Jabead,

We seem to hav somethings in common. I am also half Italian, on my Mom's side and both of her parents families are from the Abruzzi section of Italy. I just read through all of your dining report and happy to follow along the rest of the way. Can't wait to hear and see more.
Me, DH, & DS: Dec '99 off prop (parent's house), Nov '00 Contemporary, April '02 POR
Me, DH, DS, &DD:April '03 off prop (parent's house), April '05 off prop (parent's house), June '06 off prop (parent's house), August '07 POP, Dec '08/Jan '09 POP,August '10 Contemporary, August '12 AoA, July '14 POR

Where is the funnel cake?
I found the funnel cake, now where is the chocolate covered pineapple?
DisneyMomFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #164
jabead
DIS Veteran

BACKGROUND: I had wanted to dine at Bistro de Paris for several years now but for various reasons never made it there. On our family trips (family of 5, sometimes 6 with a friend along), it always seemed too expensive and the food too unusual for our DS, who is a very picky eater (even worse than DD2). I would have loved to have dined there on either our anniversary or my birthday trips but we were on the Deluxe Dining Plan, so Bistro de Paris was not an option. So I decided that this trip (sans Dining Plan, only TIW used) would be the perfect time to finally dine at Bistro de Paris. And yes, I found it just a little ironic when I heard that this year Bistro de Paris was added to the list of restaurants who accept the Dining Plan. Oh well, c'est la vie!

So please join us as we have our very first...

Dinner at Bistro de Paris

After returning to our room to change into nicer clothes (as I assured the girls that this was a "swanky" place where everyone would be dressed up ), we returned to Epcot for our 8:00 reservation at Bistro de Paris. There were two parties in front of us waiting to check-in at the podium. As it turned out, neither of them had reservations and were both turned away because the restaurant was completely booked on this evening. They seemed quite surprised by this, and I heard one grumbling that they had never had to have a reservation to dine here before. So I have a feeling that with the Bistro now accepting Dining Plan credits, they are much busier and more often then not will require an advance reservation to dine there.

Once we'd checked in, I found a seat in their small lobby area that has very limited seating, so the girls stood outside. We waited at least 20 minutes before our name was called and then we were led up the winding staircase to the restaurant. The dining room was smaller than I thought it would be and very white... the ceiling & walls were painted white, with white wood trim; white curtains hung from the windows and milk glass chandeliers from the ceiling; and the tables were covered with white tablecloths, napkins, and china. Other than the carpet, only the dark wood chairs, the burgundy-red lampshades and seat cushions, and a few miscellaneous decorations added color to the room. This created a formal, yet welcoming ambience.

I was just a little disappointed when we were not seated at a table by the window. However, I noticed once we were seated that most (if not all) of these tables are for parties of two.

I was quite impresssed with the way they fold their napkins here.

Creative Napkin Art

Not long after we were seated, my daughters pointed out to me that many of the other guests seated around us were still in their park attire...casual shorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes etc. Now I really do believe that the girls enjoyed dressing up a bit (casual dresses and skirts) for our dinners, but they just couldn't pass up the chance to prove their mother wrong...as I rarely ever am wrong.

Now on to the food, beginning with a picture of their current menu.

Our meal began with french breadsticks and this complimentary amuse broche...

Small Cup of Vichyssoise and French breadstick

The vichyssoise was a creamy potato soap with leeks, onions, and I think I tasted some parmesan cheese. I was expecting it to be cold, but this was served warm. Though I think it looks unappetizing in the picture, mostly due to all the foam on top, I can assure you that it was quite tasty. The breadsticks were also very good, and our bread plates were always quickly replenished by a girl who came around to the tables to serve them from a large bread basket. This was a good thing because each of us ate two or three with our shared appetizer...

French Artisanal Cheeses served with mixed salad - $15.00 (Cheese Plate #4 of the Trip)
(I apologize that some of the cheeses have been partially eaten, but as soon as this was set on our table we began diving into it...totally forgetting to take a picture first. Yes, even after the big Italian lunch and the vichyssoise, we were still that hungry! )

This was technically not listed as an appetizer on the dinner menu but I had remembered that they had a cheese plate listed on their dessert menu. Since none of the appetizers appealed to DD2, I asked if we could have the cheese plate for our first course and it wasn't a problem. The cheese plate included five cheeses and I thought for sure that I had written them down in my notes from this meal, but no such luck. Unfortunately I will have to rely on my somewhat poor memory...feel free to chime in if I mess this up. Beginning with the soft, white cheese next to the salad and moving clockwise around the plate I think they are: Chèvre (goat cheese), Comté (a French Gruyère-style cheese), Roquefort (bleu cheese, which of course was my favorite), Brie, and the one I'm most uncertain about...Chaumes??? As you can see from the picture, we received no crackers or toasted bagel slices, nor any accompaniments with our cheese other than the salad. This didn't bother me too much since I liked all of the cheeses by themselves or with the french bread. The girls however weren't too happy about this and consequently lowered their ratings of the cheese plate to just "Okay". So even though I rated it as "Very Good", since it was two against one the cheese plate only received an overall rating of "Okay".

There was only one thing on the menu that DD2 would eat, since she will not eat any kind of seafood, duck, or lamb, and the beef had a mushroom crust (plus she had just had a filet the night before). And so chicken it is...

Chicken Breast stuffed with morels and topped with cream sauce. Served with rice pilaf and spinach.

Now I'm sure she didn't know what morels were when she ordered this and she didn't ask me so I just kept still and hoped for the best. Needless to say, I was relieved when she was served her chicken and it was not covered with mushrooms. The icky "m" word was not mentioned during our meal, so I'm assuming that the offending morels were part of the rice pilaf (which I don't think she touched, since white rice is another thing she doesn't like ). So with just the chicken breast to eat, she found this entree to be pretty boring and rated it as only "Okay".

EDIT: After posting this review very late last night, I this morning asked DD2 about her rating of this entree. I was shocked to discover that the morels were actually stuffed inside the chicken breast. It seems that she figured this was her own mistake and merely ate around them as best she could. No disgusted face, no whining, absolutely no mention was made of those nasty mushrooms. Ahhhh...my little girl is growing up.

DD1 loves seafood and was torn between ordering the scallops and the red snapper. She decided on this...

Red Snapper in potato "scales" with rosemary sauce and served on a bed of baby spinach

Her entrée definitely gets the prize for the most beautiful presentation. The picture is not very good due to the low lighting (and DD2 did not want to use the flash on her camera since we had other guests sitting close by), but hopefully you can tell that the potato slices are carefully placed on top of the red snapper in a way that looks like the scales of the fish. Unfortunately this entrée wasn't quite as good as it looks and she gave it only a "Good" rating. I tasted just a bite of this and would have to say that I prefer the similar entree that is served at Flying Fish, the Potato-Wrapped Red Snapper (plus it is actually $5 cheaper). But I must admit that Bistro's red snapper is prettier to look at and is probably much more difficult to prepare.

For my entrée, I ordered my first beef of the trip (well, if you don't count my Le Cellier cheeseburger that is )...

Grilled Beef Tenderloin with mushroom "crust", Bordelaise sauce, and served with mashed potatoes (in picture below).

I enjoyed this very, very much...probably one of my favorite Disney steaks, second only to the filet at Yachtsman Steakhouse. The beef was cooked perfectly (which for me is medium-well) and was tender and flavorful. And unlike my children, I happen to really like mushrooms, so for me the mushroom crust was like "icing on the cake". As you can see, the baked mashed potatoes were served in a separate dish (apparently the same one in which they were baked). These were piping hot when served so I had to let them cool for quite awhile before they could be eaten. When I was finally able to take a taste without scorching my mouth, I thought they were very good. And so I would give this beef tenderloin/mashed potato entrée a rating of "Excellent".

Our dessert order had to be placed at the beginning of our meal, since it required 25 - 30 minutes to bake. As soon as our server mentioned the raspberry soufflé, of course DD2 was hooked. She insisted that she wanted one entirely to herself, so DD1 and I ordered a second one to share.

Warm raspberry soufflé with a chocolate ganache center and a side dish of raspberry sorbet and fresh raspberries

DD2 and I liked this but much preferred the Chocolate Raspberry Molten Cake at bluezoo, which we had rated as "Excellent". To me the texture of the soufflé seemed a little too wet, so perhaps not baked quite long enough. Consequently, DD2 and I both rated this as only "Good". DD1, who is not a big fan of raspberries and had rated the bluezoo dessert as only "Good", did not like the soufflé at all and gave it a "Bad" rating. But once again we had two against one, so the raspberry soufflé gets a rating of "Good".

So overall our rating for this meal was: Good, but nothing special

However, my rating for this meal was: Very Good

As an added bonus, when we left the restaurant at around 10:00 we found that the park was nearly empty. DD2 used this rare opportunity to take a few pictures in France, before we exited the park through the International Gateway and walked back to our "home-away-from-home" at the Boardwalk.

The Empty Streets of Paris

And with that I wish you...Bonsoir mes amis!

NEXT UP: Lunch at Yak & Yeti

Last edited by jabead; 07-02-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #165
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

This was the first Bistro de Paris review I have seen and I have to say that you are tempting me to go directly to the WDW dining reservations website and see if my only open night for dinner has an ADR available!!!

I really thought the prices would be higher but what a pleasant surprise that they are on par with most other Signatures and in some instances slightly cheaper.

Funny thing, when I first glanced at your photo of the menu, I thought the entrees section said POISONS. Yikes - that definitely would have been a turn off! The food looks wonderful and the cheese plate is right up my alley but you would think that they would throw a few tid bits of fruit or some accompaniment on that plate!

It is really a lovely restaurant inside. Is this above Chefs de France? I don't recall seeing it but then again, it's never been on my radar.

Anther WONDERFUL review! Bravo!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: