Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #961
casey10
Earning My Ears

We will be there tomorrow as well can't wait !!!

This will be our second time there and the kids actually remembered it from two years ago and requested that we go there again !!

Excited to see it now that it is refurbished exspecially with having queen beds now!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #962
krismusc313
Mouseketeer

just did my online check in & ordered my water from walmart. hopefully it will get there

I am so excited!!!
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #963
Jillianv29
Mouseketeer

Out of waffles at 7:00am??? That's poor planning, seriously!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #964
utkscvol1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies

Sorry to hear about the disappointments. I agree with the previous poster who said things change from day to day. We love POFQ and just got back last week from an 18 night stay. Within our first few days we went to the pool to swim on our break between parks. We were there no more than 20 minutes when we were all cleared out of the pool and it was closed. Not sure why or when it started running again. Two days later, back at the pool and same thing happened. This time they actually said there was no power. Sure enough we went to fill our drinks in the food court and saw that the reception area was in darkness, as was the gift shop (they were still open and running but the foodcourt staff were explaining to some guests that they were unable to cook anything). We got back from MK to a pitch dark resort aside from a few sparse lights. It was hot in the reception area and the glass panels on the doors and windows were totally misted up with lack of air con. The next night we got back and there was a power generator with a huge bright light on it out the back of the entrance which ran until midnight.

The following day, all was back to normal and anyone arriving from that point would have had no idea of what was going on. So I guess stuff happens and sometimes you're lucky enough to avoid it and other times not.

We also enjoy the compact size of the resort and have to admit, the staff have always been super friendly so hopefully you just had a once off bad run of it.

Hope the rest of your stay is magical
That's odd about it being out of power. We are here now and were left a notice stating for a 3 hour time span in the am that power would be out intermittently for approx 10 minutes at a time. Wonder what's up with that.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #965
scotas
Mouseketeer

A quick update. I'm here right now, and when we got home this evening (after the WETTEST Halloween Party ever). The locks had been changed to RFID(not sure if that is the right term for it.) We are staying in building 1. Our current keys worked, I know because we all had to give the new lock a try lol. We are like a bunch of kids in a toy store, we have to touch everything.

1998 off site
2005 Pop Century 50's section
2007 Caribbean Beach Resort - Jamacia
2008 Pop Century - 50's section
2009 Coronado Springs - Cabanas 9B
2010 Coronado Springs - Casistas 3
2011 Coronado Springs - Cabanas 9B
2012 Port Orleans French Quarter
2013 (Jan.) Port Orleans French Quarter
2013 (Sept) Contemporary Resort
2014 (Feb.) Caribbean Beach Resort
Old 10-05-2012, 02:13 AM   #966
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotas View Post
The locks had been changed to RFID(not sure if that is the right term for it.) We are staying in building 1. Our current keys worked
They are rolling these out over the next month or so I believe, I forgot to mention that I was told they'd be doing this around October. The idea is that they will gradually be issuing all guests with cards that have RF ID tags in them anyway, and then as they gradually change the locks the keys will just work with the new lock too when you get back to the room.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 10-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #967
father of 2
Earning My Ears

Come on December

can't wait to stay here in December!
Old 10-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #968
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
They are rolling these out over the next month or so I believe, I forgot to mention that I was told they'd be doing this around October. The idea is that they will gradually be issuing all guests with cards that have RF ID tags in them anyway, and then as they gradually change the locks the keys will just work with the new lock too when you get back to the room.

Andre
How do these locks work? (Please excuse the ignorance - I knew they were planned, but had no idea they were doing anything so soon)
Old 10-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #969
ciera321
DIS Veteran

I just changed our January stay from Pop to FQ. This is the only moderate we haven't stayed at and we can't wait to try it. Gotta try those beignets!!!

Old 10-06-2012, 01:23 AM   #970
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
How do these locks work? (Please excuse the ignorance - I knew they were planned, but had no idea they were doing anything so soon)
Just hold your keycard near to the door lock, it's as simple as that. There is a tiny 'radio' device (known as an RFID chip) embedded inside the keycards which the door lock detects and activates.

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 10-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #971
utkscvol1
DIS Veteran

Checking out today just a heads up- we did have a bb offer for next year for free dining...
Old 10-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #972
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkscvol1 View Post
Checking out today just a heads up- we did have a bb offer for next year for free dining...
If you get a chance (if you're getting breakfast at the resort) could you maybe snap a some quick pics of the breakfast menu price boards at POFQ for me?

Andre

Old 10-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #973
lizzie1001
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lttlmc3

I will be there next week. How are the buses???
The buses are busy at times but I literally just left and overall I was satisfied. Just can't expect to get around quickly...it will cut into your vacation time but the alternative is to rent a car and pay to park it. We only had 2 real long trips in 8 days so that's not bad. Frequency of buses was good overall but when you're anxious to get somewhere it's never fast enough And I loved the FQ and would go back there in a heartbeat! Enjoy
Old 10-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #974
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Just hold your keycard near to the door lock, it's as simple as that. There is a tiny 'radio' device (known as an RFID chip) embedded inside the keycards which the door lock detects and activates.

Andre
Thanks
So same principal as the FP+ tickets then

That will be great - so many times we have the room key need a few attempts at inserting where it just won't release the catch so I'm looking forward to that
Old 10-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #975
Jillianv29
Mouseketeer

We just got back on Thursday and overall I was really satisfied with the buses. Only had one issue with a Hollywood studios bus that took forever and ironically there was a transportation guy there but he seemed more worried about juggling. I won't lie the boats left little to be desired. We literally waited 40 min one day. Went Back 2 days later and there was a boat about to depart and still 20 people in line. Turned around and got a taxi ( totally worth the 9 bucks) never had an issue with the boats coming back from downtown, but if you gave reservations I would suggest a cab
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: