Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #1936
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!
 
Tink rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 18,095

You want a quiet room.... NEVER go to any of the Value's during Pop Warner... I was at ASMusic once during it and they were cheering outside our window until the wee hours of the morning...

I still don't know how that one girl got a hold of a case of beer...
__________________
'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,'tis the gift to come down where you ought to be, And when we find ourselves in the place just right, t'will be in the valley of love and delight.

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 01:54 AM   #1937
kswm30b
DIS Veteran
 
kswm30b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 988

I've stayed at POFQ a bunch of times (my fav!), but I have a question I never had before, lol. What are the chances of getting upgraded to a room with a king bed at checkin?

I also got the letter about the construction. I haven't been able to find what exactly was going on until I found Andre's post, so thank you! Though I'm guessing I won't have to deal with it anyway since my trip ends May 13 & the post said it's starting on the 15th?
__________________


My Disney scrapbook albums: 2007 / 2003-2007 day trips / digital (14 trips, 2007-2012 layouts)

Pics of all the Characters I've met at Disney: I Love Characters!
kswm30b is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-18-2013, 02:00 AM   #1938
NJRRK
DIS Veteran
 
NJRRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jersey City
Posts: 2,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswm30b
I've stayed at POFQ a bunch of times (my fav!), but I have a question I never had before, lol. What are the chances of getting upgraded to a room with a king bed at checkin?

I also got the letter about the construction. I haven't been able to find what exactly was going on until I found Andre's post, so thank you! Though I'm guessing I won't have to deal with it anyway since my trip ends May 13 & the post said it's starting on the 15th?
Probably not since a king bed room is a bookable category.
__________________
"Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving!"- Mame Dennis

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #1939
NC Disney Fan
Live long Disney Lover and visitor
 
NC Disney Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 295

Where did you see info on the construction at POFQ? HOw long did it say it was happening? Now I'm nervous! We are going to be there for the 1st time in September. HOpe it is done!
__________________

Me (46), DH (50), DD (13), DD (11)
2007 All Star Movies,2008 All Star Movies, 2009 Pop Century, 2010 Pop Century, 2011 All Star Movies, 2012 Pop Century
2013 Port Orleans French Quarter 2014 Nov. [/I]Port Orleans French Quarter

1971-2000 30+ visits (as I was a FL resident)
NC Disney Fan is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #1940
Kat016
DIS Veteran
 
Kat016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pottstown, Pa
Posts: 2,758

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Disney Fan View Post
Where did you see info on the construction at POFQ? HOw long did it say it was happening? Now I'm nervous! We are going to be there for the 1st time in September. HOpe it is done!
I asked that a while back too because I'm going in October. I think July or August is what I was told.
Kat016 is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #1941
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict
 
andrewilley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 5,453

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Disney Fan View Post
Where did you see info on the construction at POFQ? HOw long did it say it was happening? Now I'm nervous! We are going to be there for the 1st time in September. HOpe it is done!
The work will be on the check-in lobby only, and will be from 15 May until around mid-July. Nothing to be at all worried about (even if you are there during that time) as checkin processes will be moved over to the old Bonfamille's Cafe area on the other side of the main atrium.

Andre
__________________
Port Orleans Riverside is my second home - I never get homesick when I'm there, but it does happen the other way around!


For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #1942
NHKristy76
Senior Mousketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Merrimack, NH
Posts: 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post

If you had read the poster's subsequent posts you would understand that a quiet room was much more of a necessity than a preference. Some people need a quiet room. There are also families with children on the autism spectrum who need to have quiet and reduced sensory stimulation. Not everyone is there to party all day and night long.
What's missing here, I think, is what is reasonable to expect from Disney and what you can (and should) do to ensure you are comfortable.

If you need absolute quiet to rest you should be doing something (other than complaining) to make sure your needs are met. White noise machine? Ear plugs? Noise canceling headphones? Vacation at an adults only beach resort where it's just the noise of waves?
__________________
Poly 10/86 Sports 12/97 CB 12/98 WL Nov/Dec 99
ASMu 9/01 POR 12/2003 WL 9/04 WL 12/04 ASMo 9/05 CS 12/05 POFQ 10/06 ASMo 2/09 WL 10/09
CS Nov/Dec 11 BC 8/12 WL 11/12 ASMo 1/13 AKL 8/13 CS 10/13 DLR-GC 2/14 POR 4/14 Dream 4/14 YC 8/14 WL 8/14 AKL 12/14
NHKristy76 is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #1943
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 23,099

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKristy76 View Post
What's missing here, I think, is what is reasonable to expect from Disney and what you can (and should) do to ensure you are comfortable.

If you need absolute quiet to rest you should be doing something (other than complaining) to make sure your needs are met. White noise machine? Ear plugs? Noise canceling headphones? Vacation at an adults only beach resort where it's just the noise of waves?
You must have missed the post, but if you have a true medical need of a certain type of room or room location, Disney will grant you that. However you need to go through the Special Services division. Disney doesn't think it is too much to ask of them that they accommodate people with a medical need of a certain room type, so no need to be offended on their behalf.
maxiesmom is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #1944
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,861

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
You must have missed the post, but if you have a true medical need of a certain type of room or room location, Disney will grant you that. However you need to go through the Special Services division. Disney doesn't think it is too much to ask of them that they accommodate people with a medical need of a certain room type, so no need to be offended on their behalf.
True, Special Services does what it can. But there is no way in a hotel, particularly in a resort in which one can expect many children, to guarantee a "quiet" room. Plumbing makes noise in many hotels. Air conditioners cycle on and off. Thunder happens. And Disney cannot control the people in the neighboring rooms, or the people running down the halls, or the kids crying. No hotel or resort can.
__________________
snykymom is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #1945
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 23,099

Quote:
Originally Posted by snykymom View Post
True, Special Services does what it can. But there is no way in a hotel, particularly in a resort in which one can expect many children, to guarantee a "quiet" room. Plumbing makes noise in many hotels. Air conditioners cycle on and off. Thunder happens. And Disney cannot control the people in the neighboring rooms, or the people running down the halls, or the kids crying. No hotel or resort can.
If they so chose Disney can leave the rooms next door vacant. They can place a guest far and away from everyone else, during slower times of the year, if they choose. They can do many things that go a long way to lessening any noise, even if a room as quiet as the grave is not possible.
maxiesmom is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #1946
NewCrew42
One Day I'll be a Galactic Hero!
 
NewCrew42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,864

I just completed on-line check-in. I requested to be "near transportation". Does that mean near the bus-stop? I hope so!
__________________
me dh ds19 dd16

POFQ - June 2014, POFQ - June 2013, POFQ - July 2010, Pop Century - March 2009, Pop Century - April 2008, Pop Century - May 2007, Contemporary - May 2006, Grand Floridian - May 2005, Contemporary - May 2004, Contemporary - May 2003, Off-site - June 1992
NewCrew42 is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #1947
mom2taylorandemily
Not so patiently waiting our next trip to Disney....!
 
mom2taylorandemily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 6,955

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrew42 View Post
I just completed on-line check-in. I requested to be "near transportation". Does that mean near the bus-stop? I hope so!
It should.
__________________

DH 60 Me 51 DD 17 DD 15
Sept. 1993 - offsite "1st Trip" / Oct. 1995 - offsite Honeymoon / Dec. 2006 - WL / Dec. 2007 - CBR / Dec. 2008 - CBR
Aug. 2009 - CBR / Dec. 2009 - POFQ / Aug. 2010 - CBR / Aug. 2011 - POR
Aug. 2012 - CBR~Emily's 13th!! Birthday / Dec. 2012 - CBR~Taylor's Sweet 16!!

Aug. 2013 - POFQ~Celebrating My 50th!!! / Aug. 2014 - CBR ~ No Kids!!
mom2taylorandemily is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #1948
kswm30b
DIS Veteran
 
kswm30b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRRK

Probably not since a king bed room is a bookable category.
I know, but we've always gotten a standard room & most of the time been upgraded at checkin without asking (pofq is so small, I don't really care where our room is or what the view is.) just wondering if anyone had any luck with it?
__________________


My Disney scrapbook albums: 2007 / 2003-2007 day trips / digital (14 trips, 2007-2012 layouts)

Pics of all the Characters I've met at Disney: I Love Characters!
kswm30b is offline  
Old 04-19-2013, 07:32 AM   #1949
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran
 
pwdebbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: between Chambersburg and Gettysburg, PA
Posts: 3,108

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
If you are traveling with someone disabled you should book through the Special Services department. That is the only way to ensure you get your needed location. Otherwise all you are doing is making a request.
I was under the impression that this was for folks who are physically disabled. Dh is invisibly disabled. However, if there is a next trip (doubtful at this point, he is not holding up well this trip), I will keep this in mind.
pwdebbie is offline  
Old 04-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #1950
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran
 
pwdebbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: between Chambersburg and Gettysburg, PA
Posts: 3,108

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
If you had read the poster's subsequent posts you would understand that a quiet room was much more of a necessity than a preference. Some people need a quiet room. There are also families with children on the autism spectrum who need to have quiet and reduced sensory stimulation. Not everyone is there to party all day and night long.
Thanks for being understanding, minnie mum.
pwdebbie is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: