Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #106
tiffyannedg
Earning My Ears

Question

I am currently reading your trip report when you stayed at FW. I love it!! You are a great writer. We love to camp and have had pop up campers in the past. We sold our last one 3 years ago and have been saving to get a big one. Well that hasn't happened. (2 little boys) So we are going to try to master tent camping. We have done it many times and love it, but haven't gotten all the gear for a long trip. I'd love to know exactly what kind of screen room you have. It is HUGE! And that is what we need. Does it take two people to put up? Are you happy with it? When it rains does your stuff on the table get wet? Thanks so much!!!

Sorry for posting here but I don't have enough posts to message someone yet. Thanks again!
tiffyannedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #107
estherhead
DIS Veteran

http://www.amazon.com/Embark-13-ft-S...pr_product_top

That is the link. We looked high and low for this tent. It was under $100 when we bought it and wasn't the awkward shape that big screen houses often are. I believe you can't buy it anymore. We love it! As far as water tightness, I am methodical with my waterproofing. When we buy any new tent product I wait until the weather shows 3-4 days of sunshine in a row, put them up and waterproof them three times a day. Especially the seams. It costs a lot but is so worth it. This spring we went camping and the first night was a torrential, windy thunderstorm. Everyone we were camping with were sad. But we were snug as could be, not even any drips. Because of the wind, the screen house didn't fair as well, but the center was still dry and our bins were. We put a picnic table with a waterproof tablecloth in the middle and our plastic bins underneath. All in all, we were able to dry out within 30 minutes. Some of our friends never did recover and just went home.

And a screen house is worth the money and effort. Our can go up with just one person. But we almost never do. It takes just moments with two.

Waterproof, waterproof, waterproof. Trust me on this one.
estherhead is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #108
Torrance
Earning My Ears

Just getting caught up! I love reading about your adventures in "my" neck of the woods. It's fun to get a different perspective of places we've been. LOL about CA having better shopping malls/stores! I think you're right though -- when we go out of state the shopping is very different...

I hope 2013 has been great so far for the Perla and Suzy clans! Looking forward to reading some more about your CA trip when you're back.

I'm off to watch the surprise video now!

Dec '12 Mommy-Daughter DL Trip, Jun '12 Honeymoon at WDW! Sep '11 Married at DL! Jun '11 DL, Aug '10 DL, Jun '10 "Engagaversary" at DL! Pre-'10 Numerous Family DL Trips.
Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #109
sweet maxine
DIS Veteran

I have been reading through your trip report this afternoon, and have enjoyed every bit of it! You are a wonderful writer! I appreciate all the time and effort you've spent in sharing this here for everyone to enjoy.

Last summer, I took a very similar trip out west. We stopped at Disneyland and Yosemite, ending up in San Fransisco. I absolutely fell in love with Yosemite! We stayed in the Curry Village, too, and really enjoyed the place. I could stay a whole summer there and be very happy.

And I wanted to say also that I agree with your statement about the pictures of Yosemite. It's difficult to really explain what it is like, and the pictures don't do justice to how amazingly beautiful it all is. I want to go back.....
sweet maxine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #110
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet maxine View Post
I have been reading through your trip report this afternoon, and have enjoyed every bit of it! You are a wonderful writer! I appreciate all the time and effort you've spent in sharing this here for everyone to enjoy.

Last summer, I took a very similar trip out west. We stopped at Disneyland and Yosemite, ending up in San Fransisco. I absolutely fell in love with Yosemite! We stayed in the Curry Village, too, and really enjoyed the place. I could stay a whole summer there and be very happy.

And I wanted to say also that I agree with your statement about the pictures of Yosemite. It's difficult to really explain what it is like, and the pictures don't do justice to how amazingly beautiful it all is. I want to go back.....
Hi! Sorry it took me so long to reply. I've been having guilt about this thread. It's been almost a year and I haven't even gotten to Disneyland in my Disneyland TR! I have been super busy but things are slowing down just a bit I hope. I am hoping to start a new blog (I've paid for the name enchantingbeginnings) but haven't started it either! But I have this TR, last August's TR, and our upcoming trip to wdw in 3 months time. And I don't really want to have nothing written on them online. So I'm gonna get moving. Say tuned in the next two weeks for whatever I decide to do. But I do promise that whatever form it takes. I will eventually take you all to DL with me. I promise! You will find out what happened May 2012.

And yes, Yosemite is unbelievable. We did Hawaii this March, no kids. And it was gorgeous. So, so gorgeous. But for all the amazing waterfalls there Donald and I agreed, they couldn't even begin to touch the smallest of Yosemite's waterfalls.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #111
Mommy2BnB
Mouseketeer

Hi! Glad you're back. I was hoping you'd finish this report. Ooooo, Hawaii. I wouldn't mind a bit if you threw in a few of those pictures.
Mommy2BnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #112
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2BnB View Post
Hi! Glad you're back. I was hoping you'd finish this report. Ooooo, Hawaii. I wouldn't mind a bit if you threw in a few of those pictures.
Hi! I'm blushing because I keep making promises and not following through. So after much discussion with my website designing friends I decided to start a blog. That way everything I'm doing can be all lumped together and my Disboard friends won't feel neglected. It won't be like this format which makes me sad because I love Disboard TR format, but I figure something is better than nothing. I'm working on Cali right this second. I'm just quickly summing up Sequoia and Yosemite so I can do Disneyland.

I'll try to remember to post each new post here as well. But if you don't trust me (and why would you from my record???) you can just subscribe and it'll send them to your e-mail.

There is so many things, like Hawaii, I want to share. And I have August WDW 2012. And now I just made our countdown chain for August 2013!!! You can see it here:
http://www.enchantingbeginnings.com/...untdown-chain/

And the first chapter of California here:
http://www.enchantingbeginnings.com/...and-the-great/

As I was writing that chapter I realized I might have the wrong people saying the wrong things as I lost my notes and didn't want to scour this for the truth. So if you see any inaccuracies in my blog vs. this TR, don't tell me! I don't want to know just how bad my memory really is.

OK, off to work at my day job. Then we have to put our pool together as the liner had holes in it and we had to rip the whole thing apart. But I'm going to write my seqouia chapter tonight. And this weekend I'm not super busy so I can see me actually arriving at a Disneyland TR by Saturday! I know, I know. Promises, promises. And don't worry, I'll be more thorough on there on DL than I am on these first chapters. Don't get concerned. It won't be every hiccup like the past because it's been a year and I have no notes, but I'll be as thorough as possible.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #113
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Sequoia

I know you guys have already read this on here, and in much greater detail. But I got my first Seqouia Day up and just trying to keep you apprised of the progress so you don't lose hope.

http://www.enchantingbeginnings.com/...national-park/
Old 05-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #114
estherhead
DIS Veteran

My review of Montecito Lodge:
http://www.enchantingbeginnings.com/montecito-lodge/
Old 05-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #115
estherhead
DIS Veteran

http://www.enchantingbeginnings.com/...-are-no-words/

That's it. The next post written in this blog will be NEW content. Shocking, I know. Up next: Los Angeles quick tour with a stop at the Disney ice cream shop in Hollywood.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #116
Mommy2BnB
Mouseketeer

I just visited your blog. Nice job! I'll be checking it out again.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #117
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2BnB View Post
I just visited your blog. Nice job! I'll be checking it out again.
Awww, thanks! It's both fun and challenging but I know I'll be happier to have everything all in one spot that I own. More coming soon! I'm gonna do Hollywood next and I have the pictures chosen just have to get them uploaded. I'm sure it'll be tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #118
estherhead
DIS Veteran

http://www.enchantingbeginnings.com/...-of-hollywood/

Haha! Finally.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #119
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Today was the day my girls would see Walts park for the first time. We were all super excited!!!! Tim and I had been once for one rainy, dreary November day and it had just whet our appetite to do it thoroughly. I had been waiting and waiting and today was the day we checked in to our hotel. Disneyland here we come!

On our way from Yosemite to Anaheim we meandered the back roads of central California and went to a mall. I know a mall isnt on most peoples Must Do in California list but I find that their products are better in California than Ohio. So the few times Ive been to the state I always put a normal shopping mall on my must do list. I buy not souvenirs but skirts and tops for home. Then we headed down Highway One, pausing for ice cream and ocean views in Santa Barbara and saying hello to the city made famous to us from Psych.

We also visited friends we have in Thousand Oaks and had a great time with them. They have a Trader Joes very close to their house and I had loaded up on snacks and goodies as once we were parked at our Disneyland hotel, we werent planning on getting in our car again. I HATE LA traffic. Let me park the car and walk, please!

Because of that, we decided to let our girls swim in the Pacific as we drove from Thousand Oaks to Disneyland. Also we wanted to do a quick Hollywood tour.

It was COLD this day. It was the end of May and I had counted on at least a 70 degree day. But it was barely pushing 60, I swear. My girls, however, felt it might be their only chance to swim in the Pacific during their childhood so they braved the temperature. I did not. I bundled up in my jacket and shawl on the beach and people watched. We chose to swim near the Santa Monica pier. There is paid parking and very nice facilities where we were and it was well worth however much the parking was. It was a machine that you put money in and got your ticket.
Eden enjoying the sand on the Pacific near Santa Monica Pier

Once they had had enough swimming and playing we went to the facilities and playground and the big girls dried off and changed. Because Eden had immersed herself in the sand it had embedded itself into every portion of her body. After attempts to clean it off in an orderly and respectable fashion I gave up and took her to an outside shower and stripped her and rinsed her off. Sometimes you just run out of options as a mom. We tried to move quickly but it is what it is.

Once everyone was relatively dry and dressed in acceptable clothes we headed off for our driving tour of Hollywood. We arent really that star struck being simple, small town people. So it was much more about saying we had been there than having any idea who lived where. We mainly just drove by stuff looking. I enjoyed seeing the Beverly Hills Hotel and the campus of UCLA. And the girls loved looking at Rodeo Drive and the fancy cars parked around. And see the names of all the streets they recognized.
Sunset Blvd street sign

Even the signs in Hollywood are interesting

We had planned on parking at Hollywood and Highland mall. But I decided I wanted to eat at Pinks and there happened to be a spot pretty close so we parked there. It was a great spot and we enjoyed walking around. Sadly, the line around Pinks was well over an hour. I know its always crazy busy. But I wasnt anticipating a forever line for a hotdog. Eden loves hotdogs. But Im not a huge fan and even the draw of the most famous hotdog in the world wasnt worth all that time.
The line for Pink's hotdogs in Hollywood

The line around Pinks was CRAZY!

Secretly I had a plan in mind for where we could eat in Hollywood. Disneys soda shop! I didnt mention it because I worried it would also have a long line but I like ice cream more than hotdogs so I probably would wait. We would just have to wait and see.

We headed to the main drag and went up into the mall to take our Hollywood sign picture. On the way in we stopped for Eden to get wet yet again. Thank goodness there was no sand around here!
Playing in the water at Hollywood and Highland

It was crazy busy this day. Throngs of people everywhere. This little spot was a bit quieter and I was happy to be temporarily out of the crowds. And the girls enjoyed seeing the famous sign from a famous vantage point.
Hollywood sign as seen from the Hollywood and Highland mall

Once I had my picture, we braved the crowds and I noticed El Capitan was promoting Brave. Disney marketing showing its mighty hand. Eden noticed too, she can be pretty oblivious to the world around her but not when a princess is involved.

We then went to the Chinese Theater. So many happy memories from Disneys Hollywood Studios in Florida for us and the fake Graumans Chinese Theater. We loved seeing the real deal and checking out all the famous hand and footprints.

It was hard to get good pictures since there were throngs of people around all of them. Fortunately, we were most interested in ones that didnt have huge crowds around them.

Donald Duck might not have as big a draw here as Tom Cruise but for Eden he was the most exciting celebrity of them all. Alex also found Wolverines legacy in cement interesting.

Once everyone had seen what or who they wanted to see I suggested we find a crosswalk. I had big plans in mind. We pushed through the crowds holding tightly onto hands so no one got lost and found some very exciting Stars. Disneyland and Snow White!

And then I suggested what every great mother should suggest on vacation:

Ice Cream for Dinner.

And way better than Pinks there was almost no line at all! Perfect. The servers were happy and seemed like a little piece of Disneyland and the atmosphere was darling. The bathrooms were spotless. We did order two entrees and share them. They have hotdogs (I know, not Pinks but still) and the grilled cheese sandwich was really quite yummy. It came very simply with a good pickle and chips. But lets get serious, we werent here to have food. They have a giant ice cream sundae that uses an entire can of whipping cream just like at Beaches and Cream on the Boardwalk in Disney World. After much debate, we finally decided that wasnt really what we wanted. What I really wanted was Mickey Mouse shaped sprinkles. Oh yeah.

Doesnt she look happy?

We also shared a banana split. We were all super full at the end and agreed that ice cream for dinner had been the perfect choice.

It was then time to head back to the car as I wanted to make absolute sure we hit the Disneyland signs in Anaheim while it was still daylight. And with LA traffic who knew? Months before I had made reservations at the Howard Johnsons and I had splurged on a theme park view so we could watch fireworks from our balcony. We checked in and found our room and unpacked. We had made it just in time and the sunset was a beautiful color over Disneyland. It had been such a fantastic trip so far and I had tears in my eyes as Eden and I snuggled up and watched the sky light up over the Matterhorn. I love family vacations

Last edited by estherhead; 05-13-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #120
Mommy2BnB
Mouseketeer

Too bad the weather wasn't better for your trip to the beach, but it looks like you made the best of it anyway. Ugh to the crowds of people everywhere. Did you visit Hollywood on a Saturday?

I can't wait to read about your visit to Disneyland. I have no desire to visit L.A., so I will just have to live vicariously through you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: