Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
CalDisneyMomof2
Mouseketeer

JetBlue Prices

My family is going to The Bahamas in early February. We haven't booked our flights. JetBlue has consistently been high while Delta, United and American have been about $100 less. ($520 RT for the times we want for JB)

I prefer JetBlue, I have their credit card and I like their free bag however these prices WON'T go down. I've been stalking them for the last 3 months. Do you think they'll go down to match the competitors? It's a two leg trip (LAX to FLL to NAS) and two of the four legs are like 20% booked while the other two have practically nothing filled. I know, it's pretty unpredictable but if anyone has had any experience with this kind of situation I'd appreciate your input

I'm getting ready to just go with another airline at this point which I really don't want to
CalDisneyMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
I loveStitchnippyjon
DIS Veteran

I also prefer JetBlue.
For our upcoming trip to WDW the fares were very high. I set up a fare alert on Yapta and one day got notification that the price had dropped 40% ! I grabbed two seats and next day the prices were up there again. I LOVE Yapta!
I loveStitchnippyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2014, 12:47 AM   #3
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

I thought I read that jetblue will start charging for the first bag come January. not sure if you book now if it would be grandfathered however you may want to check that out.

also, keep in the back of your mind that nice little perk of being able to get a credit if the prices do drop after you book.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:46 AM   #4
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone
I thought I read that jetblue will start charging for the first bag come January. not sure if you book now if it would be grandfathered however you may want to check that out.

also, keep in the back of your mind that nice little perk of being able to get a credit if the prices do drop after you book.
Keep in mind the recent changes to the price drop credit policy eliminates the credit for many customers.

I haven't read anything regarding a charge for first checked bag. Can you post a link?
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:20 AM   #5
CalDisneyMomof2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
Keep in mind the recent changes to the price drop credit policy eliminates the credit for many customers.

I haven't read anything regarding a charge for first checked bag. Can you post a link?
This was the first I heard of the free checked bag going away, too. I googled it to see if there was any definitive answer and it came up dozens of times that with the new CEO will be lots of change JetBlue may become just any other airline and that makes me sad!
Old 11-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #6
lauradis
DIS Veteran

http://www.jetblue.com/flying-on-jet...irst-bag-free/

The following baggage information pertains to JetBlue-operated flights only and does not apply to codeshare or interline flights. Please see the partner airlines section for more information about their baggage policies

It looks like that if you have a shared flight with another airline, but pay jetblue, you can be charged a baggage fee.
lauradis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:24 AM   #7
CalDisneyMomof2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I loveStitchnippyjon View Post
I also prefer JetBlue.
For our upcoming trip to WDW the fares were very high. I set up a fare alert on Yapta and one day got notification that the price had dropped 40% ! I grabbed two seats and next day the prices were up there again. I LOVE Yapta!
Thank you for your optimism! I set one up myself for the exact fights I want - but if I don't see prices fall within the next couple of weeks I need to book with someone else. I'm less than 3 months from our trip and there's a total of 6 of us (including my mother in law and sister in law).
Old 11-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #8
CalDisneyMomof2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradis View Post
http://www.jetblue.com/flying-on-jet...irst-bag-free/

The following baggage information pertains to JetBlue-operated flights only and does not apply to codeshare or interline flights. Please see the partner airlines section for more information about their baggage policies

It looks like that if you have a shared flight with another airline, but pay jetblue, you can be charged a baggage fee.
I don't think this policy is what the PP was referring to. She is referring to the numerous amounts of articles stating that starting next year (they haven't posted anything official yet) JetBlue (under the new CEO) will start charging for the first bag checked. It is not set in stone (or at least the public hasn't heard any definitive answer anyway) but many articles claim that under the new CEO's lead (he begins in February) this will be one of the first things they change.

I can guarantee you that people will take their business elsewhere. I will and it's too bad because I have really enjoyed flying with them and respected their low costs. Now, I can go with another airline and will have to learn how to use carry-ons

Also, JetBlue is looking to get rid of their partnership with American Express among other things.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #9
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

If it's $100 more TOTAL for 6 of you, I'd stick with JetBlue. If it's $100 more EACH, I'd definitely choose another airline.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #10
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post

what is the recent change to the price drop you mention? this is interesting as i utilize the credits all the time and if i can't now, well, that could change my thinking as well.

as to the charge for the first bag, wee were told by the jet blue employee when we checked in October 25th. she said is was a for sure. i do believe there was a sign as well but not totally sure. i doubt they will post it till the first of the year however i would think the jet blue call people would be aware of it.

sorry i can't be of more help here.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #11
Judyat
Mouseketeer

We also like Jet Blue. More leg room, tv for every seat and non-stop to many of our destinations. They also tend to have their non-stops overnight so you still have the whole day and can sleep on the overnights. They do offer special often and when you check dates and prices they do show a week's worth of prices. It helps if your dates are flexible.
Judyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #12
CalDisneyMomof2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIJim View Post
If it's $100 more TOTAL for 6 of you, I'd stick with JetBlue. If it's $100 more EACH, I'd definitely choose another airline.
$100 more per person I'm going to give it a couple more weeks because I do prefer JetBlue and want to give them a chance to fall by at last $50. We'll see.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:51 PM   #13
CalDisneyMomof2
Mouseketeer

So I pulled the trigger and went with Delta. $397 per person and JetBlue was still $520. I'm losing hope on JetBlue

I also purchased travel insurance for $30 a person. I've never purchased any before but after what happened last trip (my grandfather passed away right before) and with my son's chronic bronchitis/asthma issues I thought I'd play it safe. Still nearly $100 cheaper per person than JetBlue after purchasing travel insurance. We'll probably check one bag for the entire family and carry-on two or three smaller ones.
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM   #14
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

I've never seen JetBlue's prices drop. That is not to say it's never happened, but, I've never seen it. I routinely watch prices for a few destinations.

They are usually lowest on the first day the fares are announced as open, and increase from that point onward.

I think you made a good choice with Delta. FWIW, I have found Delta to be cheaper to almost all locations, and only fly Jetblue to MCO because it's a direct flight from my home city.

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM   #15
SandyinMonterey
DIS Veteran

Just saw on CNN that JetBlue is actually going to raise prices and now charge for bags. And that they're adding 15 additional seats on each plane, so people loosing 1.6 inches in leg room. They figure they will make $400 million a year in profit by doing this.
SandyinMonterey is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: