Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

How to become a part-time Disney travel agent?

I want to use my Disney knowledge, organizing skills, and free time to be a Disney travel agent part time. I have no idea where to start. I want to work from home and be someone's employee, not have a business of my own. Any idea where to start?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
evildiva
Reading "Twilight Series" has produced unhealthy expectations in men.

I'd be interested in this as well. Everyone always tells me I should write a book on trveling to Disney World.

June 1990 Grovsners, April 1995 Magic Music Days (Kissime), April 1997 Magic Music Days (Kissime), July 1997 Cocoa Beach, May 1999 Daytona, November 2005 Pop Century, Apirl - May 2007 Pop Century, September 2008 Pop Century, April 2009 Pop Century (solo), October 2009 All Star Sports (solo), December 2009 Pop Century, April 2010 Pop Century 30th B-Day Trip, October 2010 Pop Century, December 2010 Boardwalk Inn/Podcast Cruise/Beach Club, October 2011 Pop Century, December 2011 Pop Century Solo Disapalooza, November 2013 Pop Century Jingle Jungle 5k, Sept/Oct 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter

evildiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
Kimberly Hill
DIS Veteran

There are a gazillion and a half travel agencies - starting with Dreams Unlimited - that are Disney-focused or deal heavily with Disney. There are all sorts of business models from mega-agencies with several hundred agents to small 1-2 person agencies and each of them handles bookings, clients, and commission differently.

If you're planning to work from home, most likely you're looking at an independent contractor (IC) position, not an employee. You're essentially running your own business, responsible for your own taxes, and receiving commission checks, not paychecks.

Google "disney travel agent" (which only Disney employees are, by the way) or "disney vacation planner" and start reading. Talk to friends who've used agencies. Visit websites and fill out the application form.

One thing to remember - it's a sales job, not a travel job. You have a fabulous product to sell but you have to get out there and sell it. It's very hard to get rich, or even make a living, by selling Disney (or most travel) so keep that in mind while you look.

Best of luck!
- Kimberly
Old 05-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

The above is some good advice.

Most people think this is an easy job.

Trust me....it's not.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE MY JOB....but the hours are long, you don't really get a day off and you might not see a dime for 12 - 14 months.

The majority of folks that start doing this, stop very quickly.
DisneyKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
Justin Jett
I will do my Elvis impression at DAP, if Kevin will do a duet with me
I'm signed up and ready to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post

The majority of folks that start doing this, stop very quickly.
So true......I lasted a year.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
SugarSpice
Mouseketeer

The very first thing you have to do is get certified. I'm currently in "Travel School" through a local travel agency. They gave me all of the materials, books, assignments, etc. I have a year to complete it and turn it in to them.
SugarSpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
dalt01
DIS Veteran

if you have a dream, follow it. whats the worst that can happen? i like to think about a scene from the first Transformers when the yellow car rushed up to save them from the bad guy, shia.....Get in the car. Megan.....NO...Shia....listen do you want to be old and grey and think back that you were afraid to get it the car??????? all your life well meaning people will tell you what you cannot do. follow you own heart.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
DisneyKevin
Kelvis

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalt01 View Post
if you have a dream, follow it. whats the worst that can happen? i like to think about a scene from the first Transformers when the yellow car rushed up to save them from the bad guy, shia.....Get in the car. Megan.....NO...Shia....listen do you want to be old and grey and think back that you were afraid to get it the car??????? all your life well meaning people will tell you what you cannot do. follow you own heart.
I wasn't suggesting that anyone give up their dream.

I was explaining that this is not the easy job that folks think it is and trying to point out some of the things you might experience along the way.

It's been my experience that people starting a new job / career, are usually doing it as a way of supporting themselves.

As you will see no financial gain until weeks after your guest has completed travel, this can mean working for months and months with no income.

It takes dedication to provide a service for which you will see no financial reward for maybe a year or more.

As I said previously, most folks that start this end up stopping pretty quickly.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
DSNYDREAMER
Cruising with Unlimited Dreams
Ring of fire! Ring of fire!

I think you have gotten some good advice here. I would also like to add be careful of any agency that charges a fee to join it. Also beware of agencies charging you to take courses or achieve certification. A legitimate agency will not ask you to pay a fee to join them.

Like any business you will have expenses and operating costs...one of those should not be a fee to a travel agency.

Last edited by DSNYDREAMER; 05-10-2012 at 11:33 AM.
DSNYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #10
dalt01
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
I wasn't suggesting that anyone give up their dream.

I was explaining that this is not the easy job that folks think it is and trying to point out some of the things you might experience along the way.

It's been my experience that people starting a new job / career, are usually doing it as a way of supporting themselves.

As you will see no financial gain until weeks after your guest has completed travel, this can mean working for months and months with no income.

It takes dedication to provide a service for which you will see no financial reward for maybe a year or more.

As I said previously, most folks that start this end up stopping pretty quickly.
whats up Kevin, long time no talk? i was not suggesting that you were suggesting anything i was just putting a positive spin on it because each arguement needs two sides.........and i have always had a go for it style myself.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #11
DisneyKevin
Kelvis

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
whats up Kevin, long time no talk? i was not suggesting that you were suggesting anything i was just putting a positive spin on it because each arguement needs two sides.........and i have always had a go for it style myself.
Hey Dalton....I guess the difference is that you saw this as an argument and I saw it as a conversation about something with which i have some experience.

I get a dozen emails a day that begin with some form of "because I plan all my families Disney vacations....people tell me I should become a travel agent" or the other version "I don't like my job and I want to do what you do...travel and have fun".

I think it's good to have a clear picture of what your dream truly entails instead of an "I'm going to run off and join the circus" idea of what comes with being a travel agent.

Most folks find that once they have booked vacations for their family members who can and will agree to travel, there are not a bunch of potential clients knocking on their doors.

As someone pointed out...this is a sales job above all else.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
dalt01
DIS Veteran

Quote:
...this is a sales job above all else.
on that we can agree......and as one salesman to another, most people do not realize what it actually entails. i go through people like you would not believe and on the way out they always say something like "i need to get my life back" and "you are nuts, i am not working 12 hours a day!!"......... not for everyone.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

I am lucky enough to help a friend of mine who is a travel agent for MEI-Mouse Fan travel. It is a very busy job, lots of things to keep up with, and works all hours of the day.

One time I received a pin code that could be applied to to my already booked trip. Well, my friend was on a trip at the Bahamas at the time. I sent her email stating I had the pin code, and she called Disney while on vacation in order to apply the pin code for me. Not too many people will do that.

Right now I am helping her file, complete files, write thank cards, make sure documents are correct etc. All of the mundane jobs that take time to do.

As others stated you get paid a commission and you won't be seeing the commission until after the party travels.

If this is something you really want to do, then go for it. Just go into it with your eyes open.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #14
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for the information. I know it isn't an easy job, and I'm fine with not seeing the financial benefits for a while. I guess I'm just looking for a way to make some extra money to pay for some nice-to-haves and I'm trying to figure out a way that I can do that from home and use my Disney knowledge and super organizing skills.

I think I am going to have to try to find something else though. While I'm great at selling once someone approaches me, I'm to shy to go out and cold call/drum up leads.

Kudos to you great travel agents out there!
Old 05-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
Spaceace5150
Mouseketeer

Was there a post deleted from this thread? I just came back to read it and it seems there was a post about host agencies and the commissions involved.

Just wondering!
Spaceace5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: