Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #31
delmar411
DIS Veteran

We all use one in WDW. That's the only place it gets used though. It's the perfect park bag. Only my 14yr old DD won't use one but she doesn't want to use anything and thinks sticking her phone in her waistband is an acceptable look so I don't take bag advice from her!

I don't really care if someone is judging me over my choice of bags. It's super convenient for me and I don't have to worry about misplacing it.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #32
Shmily1
DIS Veteran

I will have mine on in 8 days! Mine has WDW on it and I wear it every time. In pictures, on attractions, at meals, everything. DD21 hates on it sometimes but then she wants me to put her stuff in it and I tell her not in my fanny pack that she hates on!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #33
goofyernmost
DIS Veteran

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
A fanny pack has the buckle centered in the front, and the pouch in the back.

The bag I use has the buckle right next to the pouch.
And here's were the magic of fanny packs really start to show through...it doesn't matter where the buckle on the fp is in relation to the pouch...the only thing that matters is where the pouch is placed. It's like magic.

Nothing adult has ever happened to me at Disney!
goofyernmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #34
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyernmost View Post
So everyone can go ahead and snidely laugh at me for using a Fanny Pack because no ones opinion other than my own matters for this.
Haha.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #35
blueferral
Mouseketeer

I wear mine. Its a "camping" fanny pack I got a Target. It holds two water bottles on either side and snacks, wallet, samll camera, etc in the pack. Being a guy I don't have hips. I slide the pack to the side and Tah Dah a seat for my DD4 when he is tired but wont get in the stroller or we are in line.

DIS DAD #695
blueferral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #36
Mickeygolf
DIS Veteran

My DW pulls hers out twice a year, once at Disney and at our State Fair. She loves it and it's very handy holding tickets, point and shoot, kleenex, ibuprofin, you name it. At Disney I'll usually carry a small back pack, but never have worn a fanny pack.

It's been going on so long I've never even thought about the fashion aspect and my children would have no idea it's not cool either, it's all we know
Old 05-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #37
glaserjm
DIS Veteran

Take a note from the honey badger on this one...don't give s@%t!

Wear what makes you comfortable and makes it easiest for park touring. I am 30 years old and looked at myself one day before entering the park and I was wearing crocs, socks and a "Life is Good T-shirt"...and (please don't take offense anyone) was momentarily horrified, but quickly got over it because you know what, I couldn't give a hoot, I was having fun!

Last edited by glaserjm; 05-09-2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling error
glaserjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #38
newlittleminnie
DIS Veteran

I would NEVER normally wear a fanny pack when i'm at home, but for my upcoming trip I bought one for a very cheap price and plan to use it for my 2 week trip. It's the right size to hold everything i need and like you say it keep your hands free.

I wouldn't have considered any other bag for use in the parks

August 2012: Highlands Reserve ~ August 2013: High Grove ~
October 2013: DLRP Hotel Cheyenne
~ October 2014: WDW Art of Animation?

newlittleminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #39
Princess Pooh Bear
Earning My Ears

Smile

I am w/most people here, and say do what is right for YOU, and don't worry about others' opinions on it. Go for convenience and comfort. Other people's opinions shouldn't matter! If they judge, they're obviously focused on the wrong things at WDW, IMO!

(This is coming from from a Crocs w/socks, fanny pack, enormous backpack carrying pack mule at WDW, who embarasses her entire family, but carries THEIR stuff in her bags, so she doesn't even care, and knows how silly THEY are!)

Me DH DD19 DD15 (I wish there was a bouncing Pooh, because I'm probably bouncing the most!)
Princess Pooh Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #40
tzolkin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyernmost View Post
Could someone please, rationally, explain to me what is wrong with fanny packs. They are simply a small zippered bag that straps around one's waist for easy access and hand and pocket free walking.

It doesn't look any dumber than paying hundreds of dollars for some designer labeled, scrotum looking, spaghetti stringed tiny little backpack that needs to be removed every time you want to sit back in your seat.

Social fashion dictation is one of my many pet peeves. It is amazing to me that so many people listen to some individual or grouping of holier then thou, obnoxious twits tell them what to wear and when to wear it. Talk about being cattle led to slaughter. Mooo!

I only use my "fanny" pack (funny it's called that because it never gets anywhere near there) for touring mostly WDW. It is handy, easily slides out of the way, carries all of my important stuff, (money, credit cards, tickets) with a whole lot less concern about possible pickpockets or general theft. So everyone can go ahead and snidely laugh at me for using a Fanny Pack because no ones opinion other than my own matters for this.

And your backpack description has me

I bought my fanny pack during our first trip to Disney. The first day and a half, we just used the backpacks and I think I took like 3 pictures because it was such a hassle to have DH stop walking so I could dig the camera out, then put it back after every use because neither one of us could push the strollers while holding it. We also park hop a lot and it was again annoying to be digging around for the tickets and then putting them back so they wouldn't get lost.

Day2, I had a fanny pack with the tickets in one section and the camera in another. I could walk, push a stroller, and get things in/out at the same time. I don't use it anywhere else, but for me it's a necessity at Disney.

Oh, and to address a few topics that keep coming up throughout the thread... I wear it in the front, but will slide it around to the back sometimes for pictures.

Also, I am young-ish (just turned 31) and have been wearing the fanny pack at Disney since my mid-20s. I see it as being more about practicality than age.

And, for the record my mom wore a fanny pack at Disney when we were kids. My siblings and I thought it was pretty dorky then. We even teased her for quite some time about the pictures. Recently when my little sister was planning her first trip with her toddler, she specifically purchased one because she thought it was a "great idea" and "so practical" that I always use one.
tzolkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #41
pg0314
Mouseketeer

Do I think fanny packs look a little dorky? Yeah, sort of.

Would that stop me from wearing one? No, absolutely not!

I've gone the fanny pack route once or twice but found that I prefer a backpack. I say wear whatever works for you and who cares what anyone else thinks.
pg0314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #42
Melmac
DIS Veteran

I do not own a fanny pack but I also do not think there is anything wrong with them. I prefer to have no bag at all so wear cargo shorts or use my DH as a sherpa for our park days. I say, wear what you'd like and don't worry about what strangers think about you.

My dad rocks one in WDW though! He just bought a new one last year and was complaining about how hard it was to find one that he liked since they are not as popular now as the last time he bought one (which was probably in the 1980's )

Sep 2013: Offsite • Nov 2012: Art of Animation (LM) • Nov 2011: Port Orleans French Quarter • Oct 2010: Caribbean Beach • Sep 2009: Pop Century • Sep 2008: All-Star Sports • Dec 2007: Coronado Springs • Oct 2006: Port Orleans Riverside • Sep 2004: Caribbean Beach • May 1990: Offsite
Melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #43
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficent53 View Post
I am curious how many of you still wear a fanny pack.... My family has told me that they are soooooo out-dated and I should get a new bag. I like my fanny pack because my hands are free and I can't set it down and forget it (which I have done with purses in previous years!). I have read other threads about which bag style is the best, but still think the fanny pack is the way to go.

BTW - I am "older" and really don't care what other people think about me and the way I dress/look!!
I don't like them. They are just not 'me'. But I have never been bothered or affected by anyone else wearing them. If it works for you, go for it.
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #44
JLa01844
Mouseketeer

I personally wouldn't wear them but I can dig up a picture of me when I was 13 with one on! My opinion of my bag style aside, I don't care if other people wear fanny packs. I don't know why everyone gets all worked up about them. They are just bags. If you like it wear it. If you don't, don't.

Even if I did like fanny packs, I don't think my dslr would fit and/or look of with a huge lens extruding from my hip height bag. So, the size of a fanny pack is not enough for me.
JLa01844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #45
SnwflkCts
I wanna go back ... when can I go back???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficent53 View Post
BTW - I am "older" and really don't care what other people think about me and the way I dress/look!!
I use a fanny pack. It is a small but roomy one. I never care what people think ... I like to travel fairly light. DH does wear cargo shorts but I don't want to weigh him down! I need my kleenex and hand cream.

I also wear a coat when it is cold and real shoes ... ok ... I am making fun of the young people I saw freezing in tank tops and flip flops during a very cold Feb visit to WDW. (I also see them at sporting venues and other theme parks freezing too) ... so I figure if I give anyone a laugh wearing my fanny pack (really a belly pack on me) -- go ahead ... I am laughing at you too!
DH, me, DCats: Maddie (12), Peanut Butter (12), Jelly Bean (7), Snowflake RIP 1/2010@19 yrs & Baby Button@2 yrs in 11/2011 - Feb 06 Poly; Nov 06 Poly (21st Wedding Ann.); Feb 09 Poly; Feb 10 Poly Second Dining Report 2/07/2010 thru 2/12/2010
SnwflkCts is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: