Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
jerseytinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Totally Last Minute Spring Fling! No DDP, Tons Of Pics! COMPLETE!

Hi there everyone! Jerseytinkerbell back again for the third time in 9 months! I've gone Disney crazy this year! I am headed back in 2 days for another food adventure with my hubby/Disney PIC. Here we are at Jiko on our honeymoon a few years ago.

I literally just booked our trip this morning, so let me fill you in on the details. Hubby and I will be leaving Thursday night 5/10 for 7 magical nights at WDW. We will be having a split stay this trip. 2 nights at POFQ and 5 nights at SSR on DVC points. No meal plan this trip. First time going without it in 6 years, but I'm looking forward to doing it this way. I'm starting to feel a little restricted by the dining plan, so we're going to skip it this trip and snack a little more and share some meals and switch up our food strategy a little bit. We'll see how it goes and I will fill you all in!

As for why we booked our trip at the last minute, let me explain. Hubby has been in school finishing up his degree for the last year and a half and just graduated yesterday. Woo Hoo! Before he starts his new job search we figured if we definitely wanted to get in a vacation this year we had this one week to do it. We can't risk being away once he starts going on interviews this summer and I am in a wedding Memorial Day weekend, so it was now or never (and by never I mean, for at least 6 months ). We decided to throw caution to the wind and take a totally impromptu trip to our favorite place in the world! Oh, I almost forgot. Hubby is turning the big 3-0, so this is a birthday celebration too!

Okay, now the important info. The Food! I have already made a few reservations to some of our favorite restaurants. It's a little hard to get in some places this close to our trip, but I still got some good stuff.

Kona Cafe (breakfast twice and dinner)
Liberty Tree Tavern (lunch)
Rose & Crown (lunch)
Turf Club (lunch and dinner)

I also made a reservation to a place we have never tried before, Yachtsman Steakhouse! This meal is a special graduation/birthday celebration for hubby.

We will also be checking out the food court at POFQ, which I am super excited about since I have never stayed here before. Once we are at SSR we will be making a ton of trips over to WPE since that is our new favorite place, so prepare yourself for lots of WPE pics! We also plan on trying a lot of counter service and snack places we have never gone to before in World Showcase. Tangierine Cafe and Boulangerie Patisserie here we come!

I am also trying to talk hubby into making a slight detour at the beginning of our drive down for a special treat to enjoy on our drive. Even though it's not a WDW treat it's too amazing not to share with all my fellow foodies!

Super excited to share all my food pics with you fabulous folks once I return! See you all again in about 2 weeks!

TTFN! Ta Ta For Now!

Last edited by jerseytinkerbell; 06-15-2012 at 02:49 PM.
jerseytinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
jerseytinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Itinerary

I will post links to all my individual reports here once they are complete!

Thursday 5/10 (Travel Day)
Mullica Hill Amish Market (Dinner)

Friday 5/11 (Check in at POFQ/Epcot)
Rose & Crown (Lunch)

Fife & Drum (Snack)

Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory (Dinner)

Saturday 5/12 (Animal Kingdom)

Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory (Breakfast)

Flame Tree Barbecue (Lunch)

Royal Anandapur Tea Company (Drink)

Boatwright's (Dinner)

MacGuffins Bar (Drink)

Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory (Snack)

Sunday 5/13 (Check in at SSR/Magic Kingdom)

Sleepy Hollow Refreshments (Breakfast)

Liberty Tree Tavern (Lunch)

Margarita Bar (Drinks)

ESPN Club (Dinner)

Monday 5/14 (Hollywood Studios)

Starring Rolls & Fairfax Fare (Breakfast)

Wolfgang Puck Express (Lunch/Dinner)

Ghirardelli (Dessert)

Tuesday 5/15 (Magic Kingdom)

Kona Cafe (Breakfast)

Kona Cafe (Lunch)

Wolfgang Puck Express (Dinner)

Wednesday 5/16 (Animal Kingdom)

Wolfgang Puck Express (Breakfast)

Animal Kingdom Margarita Stand (Drinks)

Yachtsman Steakhouse (Dinner)

Boardwalk Bakery (Dessert)

Thursday 5/17 (Epcot)

Sunshine Seasons (Breakfast)

San Angel Inn (Lunch)

Boulangerie Patisserie (Snacks)

Wolfgang Puck Express (Dinner)

Friday 5/18 (Check Out/Travel Day)

Kona Cafe (Breakfast)

Last edited by jerseytinkerbell; 06-15-2012 at 02:52 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
Krissalee
DIS Veteran

Looks like you have a great trip planned! Have fun! Looking forward to enjoying your reviews.
Past Trips: 10/13 BWV (15th Anniversary) 9/13 BWV (Krissy's first solo trip), 11/12 OKW, 10/11 BWV (13th Anniversary), 2/11 SSR (Mom & Dad's 40th Anniversary) , 10/10 SSR (12th Anniversary), 1/10 BWV, 3/09 BWV, 10/08 SSR (10th Anniversary), 10/07 BCV/SSR (9th Anniversary), 10/06 BWV (8th Anniversary), 10/05 BWV (7th Anniversary & Hurricane Wilma), 10/03 BWV (5th Anniversary), 12/02 AKL/YC (my 30th birthday), 3/02 ASM, 10/01 WL (3rd Anniversary), 1999 CBR (Craig's first trip), childhood trips late 70s/early 80s
Krissalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

I love last minute trips. I did one to Disneyland last year on less than 2 weeks. Looking forward to hearing your reviews.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Yay!

You're leaving tomorrow!! Lucky duck! Wow, that is REALLY last minute. We booked a trip 3 months prior last year and we thought THAT was last-minute .

I loved reading your previous DRs and I'm really looking forward to this one, too!

Safe travels, and have an awesome trip!

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

have an amazing trip - particularly looking forward to your Yachtsman review as we are planning our first trip there in October.

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Sounds like a great trip. I love Yachtsman...their onion rolls are to die for. Congrats to your hubby on his graduation.

Jill in CO
Old 05-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
jerseytinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
So glad you are heading back! We stayed at the POFQ last May and it was awesome and we had great luck at walk ups to TS places. Cannot wait to read all about it!
I was actually thinking of your review from last year as I was booking my ADRs because I remembered reading that you had some good luck with walk ups. I think we might try our luck at a few other TS places throughout the trip. Really looking forward to staying at POFQ! I have to go down that lizard looking slide in the pool at least one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissalee View Post
Looks like you have a great trip planned! Have fun! Looking forward to enjoying your reviews.
Thanks! Looking forward to sharing lots of pics with everyone when we get back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettegirl View Post
I love last minute trips. I did one to Disneyland last year on less than 2 weeks. Looking forward to hearing your reviews.
I actually tried to get hubby to do a Disney Cruise or Disneyland for this last minute trip, but he wasn't having it. I loved Disneyland when I went about 7 years ago and I really want to see all the new stuff, but he's not interested. I still have to work on convincing him. Thanks for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveeeyore View Post
You're leaving tomorrow!! Lucky duck! Wow, that is REALLY last minute. We booked a trip 3 months prior last year and we thought THAT was last-minute .

I loved reading your previous DRs and I'm really looking forward to this one, too!

Safe travels, and have an awesome trip!
Thanks so much! It's weird not to obsessively plan for months and months before a trip. I think the excitement of it hasn't even hit me yet. I think it will once I'm out of work today and we get on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
have an amazing trip - particularly looking forward to your Yachtsman review as we are planning our first trip there in October.
Thank you! I am really looking forward to Yachtsman too! I'll be sure to take lots of pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Sounds like a great trip. I love Yachtsman...their onion rolls are to die for. Congrats to your hubby on his graduation.

Jill in CO
Oh, I can't wait to try those rolls! They look amazing! And thanks, he worked really hard, so he definitely deserves this trip.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
jerseytinkerbell
DIS Veteran

We Leave Today!

Wow, I can't believe that I'm actually leaving today! It's very surreal this time. I get out of work in a few hours and then I just have a few more things to do and then we will be on the road to Florida! Oh, and I did convince hubby to get those special travel snacks I told you about and I really look forward to sharing those pics with all of you. It's gonna be good!

Looking forward to sharing my trip with all of you when I get back!

Walt Disney World, here we come!!!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #11
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Looking forward to seeing your review of Kona dinner (we are heading back there for dinner in August) and LTT lunch (I read that the Tavern Fried Cheese had changed - if you could verify that would be great).

Can't wait to read your reviews, have a great trip
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
jerseytinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Looking forward to seeing your review of Kona dinner (we are heading back there for dinner in August) and LTT lunch (I read that the Tavern Fried Cheese had changed - if you could verify that would be great).

Can't wait to read your reviews, have a great trip
Thanks! Kona is my absolute favorite restaurant in WDW! That promises to be a rave review barring any bad service, but I usually don't get bad service there.

Oh no! I hope they haven't changed the Tavern Fried Cheese! I definitely plan on ordering that, so I will definitely let you know what the situation is.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Oh I can't wait to see the surprise treat on the way down. It's only a matter of hours...

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #14
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Yes you do need to convince him, DL is an amazing place and the onsite hotels there are wonderful!
Old 05-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #15
jerseytinkerbell
DIS Veteran

We're Baaaaack!!!

Hello everyone! I am (unfortunatly) back from our fabulous vacation. It was one of our best trips yet! We had a ton of great food, got into a lot of TS restaurants with no reservations and drank a lot of margaritas! I am really excited to share my trip with you! Now, let's get started!

Travel Day! Okay, hubby and I really tend to romanticize the 15 hour drive to WDW for some reason. It seems like it was fun when you talk about it months later, but it's really not fun when you have to ACTUALLY make that drive. However, the ride was just a little bit better with our special travel day treats I hinted at. I planned on stopping for them on the drive, but hubby actually made the 30 minute drive for them before I got out of work, so we were able to pack up the car and get on the move as soon as I got out of work at 5 o'clock.

Are you ready to view the most awesome, fatty food ever created?!?! Have I overhyped this enough?!?! Get ready for... CHEESESTEAK STUFFED PRETZELS!!!!

The delicious, salty outside of the pretzel.

The cheesy inside of the pretzel.

SO GOOD!!! We get these from an Amish food market 30 minutes away from our house. They are the best! If you have a place near you that sells these, I highly recommend them! These bad boys are only $2 and change. An absolute bargin if I do say so myself. Disney could probably sell these in the park for $6.99 a piece! I can see the stuffed pretzel stand now...

I also had a Pepperoni and Cheese Stuffed Pretzel.

Yum!!! I ate mine pretty early into the drive since I never ate lunch that day, but hubby ate his later in the night. He also had a Bacon, Chicken, Ranch Stuffed Pretzel, but I was sleeping when he ate it so I didn't get a pic of the inside of his pretzel. The great thing about these (and one of the main reasons I wanted them for the drive) is that they keep really well without having to reheat them. I would much rather have these than have to make a stop at a fast food place on the way.

Fueled by delicious treats, we're on the move! Next stop... Disney World!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: