Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #46
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

Hmm. We have #7672 on the Dream for our December cruise. I wonder if we should ask the TA if there are any others rooms in our category available? Problem is that its an 8C category, and those are only located way up forward or way back aft, and I figured aft would be better for avoiding potential sea-sickness in case of stormy weather (I don't usually get sea-sick, and dramamine will fix it, but if there's a storm/choppy water I definitely feel it).

I'm not terribly sensitive to vibrations, and vibrations put DS5 to sleep and DH can sleep through anything. But if its as bad as you're describing ...

(It also made me notice that its a connecting stateroom which I don't care for since I'd rather not have a door where I could have a solid wall, and less noise.)
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.

Last edited by taaren; 05-16-2012 at 08:20 PM.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #47
dreamcruiser
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaren View Post
Hmm. We have #7672 on the Dream for our December cruise. I wonder if we should ask the TA if there are any others rooms in our category available? Problem is that its an 8C category, and those are only located way up forward or way back aft, and I figured aft would be better for avoiding potential sea-sickness in case of stormy weather (I don't usually get sea-sick, and dramamine will fix it, but if there's a storm/choppy water I definitely feel it).

I'm not terribly sensitive to vibrations, and vibrations put DS5 to sleep and DH can sleep through anything. But if its as bad as you're describing ...

(It also made me notice that its a connecting stateroom which I don't care for since I'd rather not have a door where I could have a solid wall, and less noise.)
The vibration was constant...all night long..no pause. UGH!

We had a connecting door in this cabin as well, but whether or not that was going to be an issue, we didn't stay long enough to find out.
dreamcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #48
outahere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
We had this cabin in Jan. and never felt anything like what is being described here. Sure we felt movement when docking, but that's nothing unusual and have felt that on each ship.
Thanks. Good to hear from someone with first hand experience. We actually like feeling the ship sway and roll (a little) at night - helps rock us to sleep.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #49
YayDisney
Mouseketeer

I am so confused. It is amazing the night and day differences in the experiences. Can it really be just a matter of sensitivity? I mean, if it is vibrating as loud or hard as some of these posts say, I just don't see how others who have stayed in the same rooms don't feel it at all. . . . what to do, what to do? I am sure we can get another verandah room, but we have 7192 booked now and the verandah is enormous - it's the reason I booked the room to begin with. That, and the fact that other posters on this site really liked the room. Just wondering whether to take the chance or not. . . . seems like it is 50/50
YayDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #50
hbg4
Ask me where I'm going on my next vacation ? Disney World of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridagram View Post
We were in 8182, the last cabin on the side before that large handicap aft balcony cabin. .
We've stayed in cabins 8166 (8C), 8184 (6A now 5E)and 8682 (6A now 5E) on the Dream. These last two are not handicap accessible cabins. They do not meet the handicap requirements. Door way too narrow etc.
Anyway balcony is an enormous wrap around and the room so huge it's probably the size of the 1 bedroom suites. Only felt the vibrations when the ship was docking. Did feel some swaying occaisionally. Apart from this no problems. Would book these aft cabins again in a blink of an eye.
(I won't post the photos since I don't want competition when rebooking.)
6 cruises on Disney Magic
9 cruises on Disney Dream
2 cruises on Disney Wonder
1 cruise on the Disney Fantasy
hbg4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #51
Floridagram
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayDisney View Post
I am so confused. It is amazing the night and day differences in the experiences. Can it really be just a matter of sensitivity? I mean, if it is vibrating as loud or hard as some of these posts say, I just don't see how others who have stayed in the same rooms don't feel it at all. . . . what to do, what to do? I am sure we can get another verandah room, but we have 7192 booked now and the verandah is enormous - it's the reason I booked the room to begin with. That, and the fact that other posters on this site really liked the room. Just wondering whether to take the chance or not. . . . seems like it is 50/50
As has been mentioned in previous posts and got me to thinking, I think it has something to do with the way the ship is being operated. Like if it is going faster vs slower. The vibration/noise was noticeably absent from our cabin on the last 2 night of the cruise. I am not sure if we were going slower all of that time but I do know we were the one time I looked out.

I am speaking of the Fantasy. I think you just have to take your chance. There are good things about these cabins. You have no traffic past your rooms except the few people who have rooms past you. You are very close to the aft elevators and convenient to Cabanas and the pools and Nemo's reef.
Carnival Holiday-1992,NCL Norway-1996,Carnival Ecstasy-1998,Carnival Tropicale-1999,RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001,RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2004,HAL Zuiderdam-2004,HAL Westerdam-February 2007,Disney Magic-April 2007.Carnival Liberty-May 2008,DCL Fantasy- May 2012, CCL Freedom-Aug 2012, DCL Fantasy April 2013,NCL Jewel-Aug 2014, DCL Wonder Sept. 2014
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #52
Floridagram
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbg4 View Post
We've stayed in cabins 8166 (8C), 8184 (6A now 5E)and 8682 (6A now 5E) on the Dream. These last two are not handicap accessible cabins. They do not meet the handicap requirements. Door way too narrow etc.
Anyway balcony is an enormous wrap around and the room so huge it's probably the size of the 1 bedroom suites. Only felt the vibrations when the ship was docking. Did feel some swaying occaisionally. Apart from this no problems. Would book these aft cabins again in a blink of an eye.
(I won't post the photos since I don't want competition when rebooking.)
I thought the people told me it was handicap accessible but you are right the door was small. (8184) I can understand you wanting to keep this is secret, that cabin was HUGE! I would go for it! The ladies that got it were shocked! They had booked a small cabin and for some reason knew it would not work. It was 2 of the peoples birthdays and they called DCL and got upgraded to this one for $100. (So they said) So magical things do happen!
Carnival Holiday-1992,NCL Norway-1996,Carnival Ecstasy-1998,Carnival Tropicale-1999,RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001,RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2004,HAL Zuiderdam-2004,HAL Westerdam-February 2007,Disney Magic-April 2007.Carnival Liberty-May 2008,DCL Fantasy- May 2012, CCL Freedom-Aug 2012, DCL Fantasy April 2013,NCL Jewel-Aug 2014, DCL Wonder Sept. 2014
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #53
sherpasmom
I dream in Disney

I feel for people who have disliked the motion etc aft and there is both but to me I liked it. It wasn't obnoxious or disruptive to me personally but soothing? I do think it's a matter of sensitivity tbh? So, if you are motion and sound sensitive, I would definitely look elsewhere just to be safe, just my opinion tho.

We stayed aft for our first cruise and rebooked the same cabin for the Fantasy while on the Dream
Old 05-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #54
p17blo
DIS Veteran

Have any of your submitted reviews on the wdwinfo Stateroom database? Most reviews are very positive.

p17blo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #55
templed
A legend in my own mind...

I've noticed a HUGE difference in ships with Azipod propulsion systems vs. Conventional Propellers...

We sailed on Carnival Dream 2 years ago which was built with conventional propellers. The Rear of the ship was constantly "shimmy-ing" especially when the ship was really pushing hard.

My understanding is that Azipod propulsion (like Dream and Fantasy) "pull" rather than "push". Every other ship I've sailed on was azipod driven. And I have noticed a difference.

Just my observations.
templed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #56
extechie rbd/wdt
DIS Veteran

Sorry templed but the Dream and Fantasy both have regular shafts and props like the Classic vessels. They are not Azipod driven.

Ex Techie
extechie rbd/wdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #57
DisneyDollface
Earning My Ears

My family sailed the Dream last August, we were in cabin 7184, felt no vibrations at all. Liked the fact that there wasn't much hallway traffic. We booked the same room on the Fantasy for July 2013.
DisneyDollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #58
templed
A legend in my own mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by extechie rbd/wdt View Post
Sorry templed but the Dream and Fantasy both have regular shafts and props like the Classic vessels. They are not Azipod driven.

Ex Techie
Really? I could have sworn I saw azipods being installed. (picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue...)

But... after some research... (see!!! its VIBRATION FREE!... lol)

http://articles.maritimepropulsion.c...=/disney-dream

Under the Hood

The propulsion method of choice for Disney Dream, as for most present-day cruise ships, was diesel-electric, which amongst its many well-known advantages gives passengers a low noise and vibration free environment in which to enjoy the cruise experience.

Specifically, Disney Dream has altogether five medium speed MAN diesel engines (three 12-cylinder 48/60CR engines, plus two 14-cylinder versions) linked to two Converteam 19 MW propulsion motors, driving twin propellors to give a service speed of 22 knots. MAN's Common Rail (CR) fuel injection system not only makes the ship IMO exhaust gas emission compliant, it also promises a soot-free ride for junior, even at start up and under low engine loads, as he scoots happily down from topsides along the 765-foot long 'AquadDuck' water-coaster.

Last edited by templed; 05-17-2012 at 01:55 PM.
templed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #59
extechie rbd/wdt
DIS Veteran

templed,

Here's another article I found about the props. Seems the Dream class has different type of prop:

"[The Dream] is the first ship in the industry with a fixed/bolted propeller."

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cr...he-scenes.html

Ex Techie
extechie rbd/wdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #60
jonesmatNY
Mouseketeer

We were on the Dream 4/10 to 4/15 in Aft Cabin 8186. First, I love the cabin, the view is amazing and the oversize deck is great.

My observation about the vibrations was most noticeable while we were underway, and the Ship was traveling at 19+knots.

Once the speed lowered to below 19 knots, the vibration disappeared. Most of the time we were under the 19 mark, so it was never noticeable, and even when we were over 19, it wasn't traumatic. You feel it the most when you are in the bed. I did hear someone 2 floors below us say they were changing rooms on the second day, due to the vibrations.

The ships speed is shown when you turn the TV in the room onto channel 2 or 3.

The view from the room was worth it, got to overlook Castaway Cay twice on that cruise.
jonesmatNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: