Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #31
dreamcruiser
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henlady View Post
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......Let everyone think those aft rooms are terrible.......that will make it easer for us aft lovers to get them.

So, Everyone: Those aft rooms are terrible, they are noisy and the thrusters will shake the devil out of you and your room. DON'T BOOK THEM.

No offense to the OP. Some people are more sensitive to vibrations, and I'm sure it was uncomfortable for you and I'm glad DCL was able to accommodate you with another stateroom. If you are not prepared that this can happen it could be very unsettling.

We've been in aft rooms twice(6690 both times) on the Dream and have one booked for the Fantasy(7194). You do need to be aware that there can be vibrations in the room when the thrusters are activated. Sometimes it is worse than others. But it normally only lasts a few minutes, I'm sure weather/ocean conditions can change that. Most times the vibrations were minimal, only on 1 day on our last cruise did the vibrations get intense enough that the pictures on the wall vibrated and that was while we were backing into the dock at Port Canaveral.
The vibrations I am speaking of, tho, occured all night long, not when the side thrusters were being used. I even tried putting the pillows under me to see if they would buffer the vibrations, but no. I do realize that some people might not be bothered by this; just reporting my experience. We LOVED the cabin itself and the huge veranda, and wish we could have stayed there the entire cruise for that reason!
dreamcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #32
dreamcruiser
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasindisneyjen View Post
We just got off the Fantasy on Saturday, we had 7192 and 7194 AFT. The vibration was so terrible that we had to be moved. Neither cabin was able to sleep with the vibration. This was during SAILING, not during docking. We were at sea, we had not docked yet.

We had guest services come to our room to see it and they said that happens in the AFT rooms.

We booked these rooms 15 months in advance just to have that balcony and had to move, we were very sad, but sleeping took precedence.

I have been on 8 Disney cruises and had never experienced anything like that before.
Sounds like you had the same experience we did...glad you were able to be moved to another cabin as well. I agree with you that sleeping takes precedence!!
dreamcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-09-2012, 06:29 AM   #33
dreamcruiser
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer Mom View Post
Was this the first night of your cruise? Reason I ask is that some seem to post the first night they feel vibration while sailing, but subsides after that. I have one of those rooms booked for June and am now second guessing my decision which was made because of that nice big balcony.
Yes, first night, and we didn't hang around to see if it would continue because I like my sleep!!
dreamcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #34
breakingd_awn
DIS Veteran
 
breakingd_awn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: ohio
Posts: 1,066

We felt vibrations too, but we were all the way fwd. It was on the first night heading to Nassau.Funny thing my DD9 asked if we hit an iceburg But doesn't blink an eye with heavy turbulance on a small plane.
__________________
Currently Saving for our next cruise
2013 "WONDERful" 5-day
2012 "DREAMy" DOUBLE-DIP
2011 "DREAMin" for 5 days
2010 Our first "WONDERful" cruise
Shipmates:MeDH
DD(19)DD(17)
DD(12)DD(6)



breakingd_awn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #35
YayDisney
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 77

wow - There is a reason these posts are not always such a good idea to read. . . I was very excited about our July Dream cruise in room 7192 thinking we would have a great view of everyting and that I could deal with the vibrations getting into ports, but vibrating the whole night?? That is not good at all. . . .

I am very torn about trying to switch rooms now. For those of you who moved mid trip, did you get another balcony room? Were they cool about it? or did you really have to push?

Also, did it bother you just because of the vibration? I mean, is it like a train vibration? or worse? I kind of find the train movements soothing. . . HELP!
YayDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #36
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,326

My aft cabin vibrated so badly I cried on the 2nd night from lack of sleep. This was during sailing, not docking. It vibrated the bed so much things were falling off the bed, and a panel fell OFF THE CEILING. I got up and slammed it back into place. I could also hear the metal strapping banging against the back of the ship the entire night.

We did not switch cabins frankly b/c (1) it was a corner oceanview handicap and it was HUGE (so lots of space for our stuff) and (2) it was only a 3nighter and it would have been more trouble to pack up all of our stuff to go somewhere else. I didn't even think to complain. Guest services was so backed up during our cruise that we would have stood in line for an hour just to speak to someone to get it taken care of. My husband went down at 2am at some point and picked up earplugs for me. I was up every night from 12am to 4am, and only fell asleep when I literally couldn't keep my eyes open any more. Then at 7am when the ship docked I'd be woken up by the thrusters.

I will never book an aft cabin again. I was miserable.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #37
DitkaFan
Mouseketeer
 
DitkaFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 81

hmmm... this is making me re-consider our 7 night Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy, it will be our first AFT room. Deck 6.
__________________
================================================== =============
Upcoming

2014 - Jan: 7 day RCCL Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean
2013 - Spring:3 days at Art of Animation in Disney World followed by 7 days Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean and Fall: 5 days at Port Orleans in WDW
2012 - 6 days at All Star Music in Disney World followed by 4 days Disney Dream Bahamas
2011 - 3 days Disney Dream Bahamas followed by 3 days at the Polynesian WDW
DitkaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #38
KandiB47
It's kind of grossing me out to imagine eating stale keyboard crumbs
Tag toggler
 
KandiB47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 768

I agree with the OP about vibrations. On the Magic one year we received an upgrade to an aft port hole cabin. Our cabin shook most of the week, sometimes violently.
__________________
Me , DH , DS(7)
AS Sp, Feb 96 /Our Disney Wedding Apr 24, 2004 /ASM, GF, SoG Apr 04 /DCL Magic, Eastern Carribean, May 04 /POFQ, Dec 05 /HHI, Aug 06 /SSR, Oct 07 (DS's 1st trip) /BCV, Dec 08/ DCL Magic, Western Caribbean, Apr 09 (5 yr anniversary) /AKV, Sept 09 /THV, BWV, Nov 10/CB,Vero Beach Jan 11/ OKW, DCL Dream, Oct 11 /DL & DCL Wonder, Mexican Riveria, Apr 12/New Year's Eve at BCV, SoG, Jan 13/OKW, Nov 13/AKV, Oct 14 (10 yr anniversary)/DCL Fantasy, Eastern Carribean, Apr 15
KandiB47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #39
outahere
 
outahere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: An hour from WDW
Posts: 5,341

Anyone have any experience with aft cabins on deck 10 of the Dream?

We've stayed in aft cabins on the Magic and Wonder and really liked them. We're booked in 10660 on the Dream this August and I am starting to get a little apprehensive.

Thanks.
__________________

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #40
Floridagram
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 846

I wasn't going to bring up this subject since I know there are so many aft lovers here. But since someone else brought it up I thought I would tell you our experience.

I do want to say first that I believe it is a personal thing if this is an issue for you. Obviously there are a lot of people that this does not bother. It did not bother my husband. I have been on 12 cruises and have been near the rear of the ship several times and not been bothered.

We were in 8182, the last cabin on the side before that large handicap aft balcony cabin. My son had a connecting cabin next door, 8180 and it was the same.

At night I felt like I was in a swaying hammock (to be expected on the sea) on top of an idling small engine! It seemed like the engine was under the bed. I was always able to go to sleep at night because I was tired, but when I woke up during the night I had a hard time going back to sleep.

The good thing is I was awake as we were pulling into St Maarten so it was a new experience to get to watch us dock!

This was a different noise than the thrusters, believe me I heard them! I am thinking it may have had something to do with RPM or whatever someone else referred to. The interesting thing is this went on all week but stopped on Thursday night. So Thursday night and Friday night were great! But it does make sense to me that it was something making that noise that did not have to be there or had to do with the ship not going at as high a speed or something because it finally stopped. I know nothing about the mechanics of the ship.

Another thing I have not seen any one else mention is that the ship docked backwards at St Thomas. I think this is standard there as the taxi driver told me that DCL gets there first, then CCL, then RCCL. The thrusters went on and on that morning and I recognized that it was a lot longer than the day before. So be prepared for that.

One final thing, we booked an OV GTY cabin. We were thrilled to get upgraded to verandahs and we had 3 in a row. So we never would have complained to DCL about these rooms. I might have been upset it I had paid a premium price for the room.
__________________
Carnival Holiday-1992,NCL Norway-1996,Carnival Ecstasy-1998,Carnival Tropicale-1999,RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001,RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2004,HAL Zuiderdam-2004,HAL Westerdam-February 2007,Disney Magic-April 2007.Carnival Liberty-May 2008,DCL Fantasy- May 2012, CCL Freedom-Aug 2012, DCL Fantasy April 2013,NCL Jewel-Aug 2014, DCL Wonder Sept. 2014, CCL Liberty Oct 2014
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #41
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread
 
jilljill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!
Posts: 18,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
Anyone have any experience with aft cabins on deck 10 of the Dream?

We've stayed in aft cabins on the Magic and Wonder and really liked them. We're booked in 10660 on the Dream this August and I am starting to get a little apprehensive.

Thanks.
We had this cabin in Jan. and never felt anything like what is being described here. Sure we felt movement when docking, but that's nothing unusual and have felt that on each ship.
__________________
Disneynutinlondon hit me
jilljill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #42
dreamcruiser
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
My aft cabin vibrated so badly I cried on the 2nd night from lack of sleep. This was during sailing, not docking. It vibrated the bed so much things were falling off the bed, and a panel fell OFF THE CEILING. I got up and slammed it back into place. I could also hear the metal strapping banging against the back of the ship the entire night.

We did not switch cabins frankly b/c (1) it was a corner oceanview handicap and it was HUGE (so lots of space for our stuff) and (2) it was only a 3nighter and it would have been more trouble to pack up all of our stuff to go somewhere else. I didn't even think to complain. Guest services was so backed up during our cruise that we would have stood in line for an hour just to speak to someone to get it taken care of. My husband went down at 2am at some point and picked up earplugs for me. I was up every night from 12am to 4am, and only fell asleep when I literally couldn't keep my eyes open any more. Then at 7am when the ship docked I'd be woken up by the thrusters.

I will never book an aft cabin again. I was miserable.
OP here again, and your post made me sad...to think that you put up with this experience longer than one night! We were on a 3-nighter too, and had the big handicap access stateroom (I apologize if I have mentioned this already..we were given this stateroom even tho we did not need a handicap access cabin). Yes, having so much space was fabulous, but believe me, we couldn't pack up fast enough Friday morning after being assigned a new stateroom by Guest Services. We got an upgrade to a 4C (to apologize from what we went thru, they said) and they were very pleasant about the whole thing. No one made us feel guilty or anything like that.
To repeat...this movement I felt ALL night long had to have been the engine, even tho we were on Deck 9 and it seems impossible that we would have felt that so much.
dreamcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #43
dreamcruiser
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayDisney View Post
wow - There is a reason these posts are not always such a good idea to read. . . I was very excited about our July Dream cruise in room 7192 thinking we would have a great view of everyting and that I could deal with the vibrations getting into ports, but vibrating the whole night?? That is not good at all. . . .

I am very torn about trying to switch rooms now. For those of you who moved mid trip, did you get another balcony room? Were they cool about it? or did you really have to push?

Also, did it bother you just because of the vibration? I mean, is it like a train vibration? or worse? I kind of find the train movements soothing. . . HELP!
I don't know how to answer your question as to what the vibration felt like. I can tell you it definitely was NOT soothing but downright annoying! It made it very hard to fall asleep and then when I woke in the night (which I often do) I was aware of it again.
As for the cabin we were moved to, yes, it had a veranda.
dreamcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #44
tynkerbell
Mouseketeer
My MIL gave me a big bag full of sand from her trip to Hawaii... I wonder if she was trying to hex me...
 
tynkerbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,701

Is this a problem on the Wonder? Seems all the posts are mentioning this as a problem on Dream. We have an aft cabin booked for the Wonder and now I'm nervous as we've only ever sailed mid ship in the past.
__________________
tynkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #45
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,326

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcruiser View Post
OP here again, and your post made me sad...to think that you put up with this experience longer than one night! We were on a 3-nighter too, and had the big handicap access stateroom (I apologize if I have mentioned this already..we were given this stateroom even tho we did not need a handicap access cabin). Yes, having so much space was fabulous, but believe me, we couldn't pack up fast enough Friday morning after being assigned a new stateroom by Guest Services. We got an upgrade to a 4C (to apologize from what we went thru, they said) and they were very pleasant about the whole thing. No one made us feel guilty or anything like that.
To repeat...this movement I felt ALL night long had to have been the engine, even tho we were on Deck 9 and it seems impossible that we would have felt that so much.
Yes we were on Deck 6, handicap corner OV room. We paid for, booked and got a guaranty 9D. It was awful.

I feel stupid that we didn't complain...but at the time we were so exhausted from the entire trip that I couldn't make DH go down there at 2am to fight with someone about switching rooms. Plus DH and DD had SO MUCH STUFF that it would have taken me at least 2 hours to pack everything up. The 2nd night was the worst b/c even though I felt the vibrations on the 1st night, I really thought it would just stop. By the 2nd night, it seemed stupid to move just for the final night. This was our 3rd DCL cruise to the Bahamas. I didn't want to make it a big deal by complaining . Now I know better.

We booked an IGT for Alaska on the Wonder. If it gets this bad again, I'm definitely going to ask to switch. There's no way I can handle that kind of noise for 7 nights.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: