Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
dreamcruiser
Mouseketeer

NO to Aft cabins!!

We just returned from a 3-night cruise on which we were assigned an Aft cabin. I know some posters are interested in finding out whether they are too noisy. After one night, we switched to a different cabin...it was not the noise factor, it was the vibrations that did us in. The bed vibrated the whole night, I assume from the engines. Even tho we were on an upper deck, it didn't seem to matter. And for those wondering about being wakened by the side thrusters during an early docking, we didn't even hear or feel that.
dreamcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:33 AM   #2
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Which ship were you on? We were in 9162 Aft on the Dream and didn't have any vibration in our room.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
njdisneylovr
Mouseketeer

We were in 8670 on the Fantasy and thought the room was great! I felt no vibration whatsoever. However, on another cruise ( RCL), we were Aft and the vibration ( and smell) was horrible! We were woken up every port day from the vibrations.
njdisneylovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
speicher46
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

We have been in AFT rooms on the Disney Magic seven times including a 14 night transatlantic cruise and thought they were absolutely great. We have booked another AFT room for the transatlantic cruise in May of 2013.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
Henlady
DIS Veteran

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......Let everyone think those aft rooms are terrible.......that will make it easer for us aft lovers to get them.

So, Everyone: Those aft rooms are terrible, they are noisy and the thrusters will shake the devil out of you and your room. DON'T BOOK THEM.

No offense to the OP. Some people are more sensitive to vibrations, and I'm sure it was uncomfortable for you and I'm glad DCL was able to accommodate you with another stateroom. If you are not prepared that this can happen it could be very unsettling.

We've been in aft rooms twice(6690 both times) on the Dream and have one booked for the Fantasy(7194). You do need to be aware that there can be vibrations in the room when the thrusters are activated. Sometimes it is worse than others. But it normally only lasts a few minutes, I'm sure weather/ocean conditions can change that. Most times the vibrations were minimal, only on 1 day on our last cruise did the vibrations get intense enough that the pictures on the wall vibrated and that was while we were backing into the dock at Port Canaveral.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
triciari
DIS Veteran

What time of the morning does the dream usually pull in to castaway cay?
triciari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
kimistry6
DIS Veteran

We were on deck 7 aft on the dream and we could feel vibrations, but only when docking, especially at castaway cay and port canaveral. I still love being aft though. This cruise we are forward, so I will be able to compare for myself which had more movement.
kimistry6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

I've always been curious about comments related to aft thrusters. My understanding is DCL ships have thrusters in the front of the ship and shafts and props aft. When someone says they feel the thrusters, I assumed that would indicate vibration was felt forward. Perhaps when the two props aft are spinning in opposite direction to fascillitate docking is when people feel the powerful vibration. If the ship only has screws aft, then I'm not sure even if they are spinning in different directions, that it's technically referred to as thrusters. Hopefully someone can elaborate a bit more and confirm whether they actual do have rear thrusters. TIA
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
outahere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
I've always been curious about comments related to aft thrusters. My understanding is DCL ships have thrusters in the front of the ship and shafts and props aft. When someone says they feel the thrusters, I assumed that would indicate vibration was felt forward. Perhaps when the two props aft are spinning in opposite direction to fascillitate docking is when people feel the powerful vibration. If the ship only has screws aft, then I'm not sure even if they are spinning in different directions, that it's technically referred to as thrusters. Hopefully someone can elaborate a bit more and confirm whether they actual do have rear thrusters. TIA
We've been on the the Magic, Wonder and Dream and all three have thrusters both forward and aft. You can see the water being churned up at both ends of the ship when they are maneuvering to or from the pier. We've been in aft cabins a few times and the vibration never really bothered us.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
GoofyDisneyDaddy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
The ships absolutely have rear thrusters. They also have bow thrusters.
GoofyDisneyDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #11
wishiwasindisneyjen
Earning My Ears

We just got off the Fantasy on Saturday, we had 7192 and 7194 AFT. The vibration was so terrible that we had to be moved. Neither cabin was able to sleep with the vibration. This was during SAILING, not during docking. We were at sea, we had not docked yet.

We had guest services come to our room to see it and they said that happens in the AFT rooms.

We booked these rooms 15 months in advance just to have that balcony and had to move, we were very sad, but sleeping took precedence.

I have been on 8 Disney cruises and had never experienced anything like that before.
wishiwasindisneyjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
Trekker
I've gone to find myself,
if I get back before I return,
make me stay here!

It is interesting that this appears to be happening on the Fantasy but not on the Dream - can we confirm that those feeling the vibrations when at sea in the aft cabins have all been on the Fantasy?

Trekker is Ron from Dreams Unlimited Travel

Questions? Email me at ron@dreamsunlimitedtravel.com
Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #13
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
It is interesting that this appears to be happening on the Fantasy but not on the Dream - can we confirm that those feeling the vibrations when at sea in the aft cabins have all been on the Fantasy?
According to the OP's post they were on the Dream. They said they were on a 3 day cruise.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #14
ScottishDisMam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasindisneyjen View Post
We just got off the Fantasy on Saturday, we had 7192 and 7194 AFT. The vibration was so terrible that we had to be moved. Neither cabin was able to sleep with the vibration. This was during SAILING, not during docking. We were at sea, we had not docked yet.

We had guest services come to our room to see it and they said that happens in the AFT rooms.

We booked these rooms 15 months in advance just to have that balcony and had to move, we were very sad, but sleeping took precedence.

I have been on 8 Disney cruises and had never experienced anything like that before.
Oh no! We have these exact staterooms booked for our trip in October! Now I'm really worried and wondering if I should change.
ScottishDisMam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #15
wishiwasindisneyjen
Earning My Ears

We had only ever read positive things about those rooms (on the Dream, since the Fantasy was not sailing yet). We had never read about any vibrations, only the slight issues when docking which we would have no problem with.

The vibration we experienced was pretty bad. It was non-stop, the TV vibrated on the wall. The bed vibrated. If you put down a cup or bottle of water, it too vibrated.

Its up to you on switching the rooms, you could try it and see if it bothers you and if it does ask to be moved then, which is what we had to do. Our friends (in 7194) were scheduled for the same room on the Dream in October but moved while we were onboard.
wishiwasindisneyjen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: