Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #46
JeanetteK
Mouseketeer

We feel so honored to have made it into your trip report!

I'm really enjoying your writing style! You're a hoot I am continuing to follow along!
Old 05-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #47
phineasfan100
Mouseketeer

Any celeb sightings this year, or even better, Buckingham sightings? TR is absolutely hilarious and I am anxious for more!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #48
nilla
The sky is falling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanetteK View Post
We feel so honored to have made it into your trip report!
We couldn't possibly have left you out! Who knows - you may turn up again at some point. You just never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phineasfan100 View Post
Any celeb sightings this year, or even better, Buckingham sightings? TR is absolutely hilarious and I am anxious for more!
You'll have to wait to find out! We're not going to Grand Floridian for anything this year, so the Buckinghams will be a tough spot. What are the odds we run into them at the Hoop-Dee-Doo?

Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad you're both enjoying this!

Now, back to our show...
Old 05-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #49
nilla
The sky is falling!

The adults are starting to get hungry, but we're faced with the age-old problem of "where the heck can we get a good quick service meal in Hollywood Studios?" We tried Pizza Planet once, but were not impressed. I was expecting it to look like the one in Toy Story...not the case. Not even a rocket-shaped Big Choice filled with little green aliens. Would that have been so difficult?

I know, I ranted about that in my first trip report. It's worthy of another rant, but I'll cut it short because we really need to find somewhere to eat. I seem to remember a place near Indy Jones that had burgers and the like, but we can't seem to find it on AllEars or a map. The ABC CommisSary sounds interesting, so we head off in that direction.

"But wait! What about your Toy Story FastPasses?"

No worries - we'll just use them later.

"But what about the new policy?"

Shoot. That's right. Ok, we knew that, but I'm just trying to make this TR more dramatic. It slipped to page two on the TR list today. PAGE TWO. Do you know what that does to my ego?

We head back over to Pixar Place against our will, but if Disney says these are the rules, we have to stick to them. We don't have to like it, though.

We make it to the entrance...but the ride is down. Ok. What about our FPs?

A CM ensures us we can come back later and use them.

Alright, so let me get this straight: there is a new FP policy that says we must use our FPs within the alotted one-hour window, but here we are, able to use our first FPs of the trip any time we feel like it. Looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer to see how the new rules affect us!

We head on over to check out when the Voyage of the Little Mermaid starts, but a show just started. So off to the Commissary we go. Only it's down as well. What the-?

Oh, maybe it's not down - it's just not 11:00 yet. Alright, we'll wait. While outside, we realize that every show Kristin watches is on ABC:

I can actually get into those two as well, unlike her collection of hospital dramas or that MTV show about the actors living at the beach in New Jersey. The doors finally open, and the CMs inside are lined up on either side to the carpet, welcoming us to the restaurant. How nice! Meals are purchased, and down we sit. Dylan locates the Mayo packets (crucial to him eating), and we're ready to go. Kristin, Dylan, and I all get the 1/3 lb Angus Cheeseburger and Fried Shrimp.

As you can tell, I didn't immediately remember to snap this meal. The shrimp was crap, but the burger was good. Dylan even did a decent job eating. Thank you, mayonnaise! As the song goes, "best present from the French since the statue of the chick."

Emily gets something too boring to photograph, but soon enough, it's on to dessert:

As you can see, we all love Chocolate Mousse. No, not the character from "Top Secret". Well, ok, we love him, too, but this is the dessert. Very good, too. Dylan asks, "do I get desserts like this at every meal". Yes, son, you do. Welcome to the wonderful world of adult dining!

It looks like I watch some ABC shows, too, as evidenced by the following get-ups:

Modern Family is SUCH a great show. Definitely in my top 5. Every character is great.

The restaurant was decent, but in true DHS quick service form, it wasn't anything special. We'll come back, though, if necessary.

But enough of that - let's get back to the park!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #50
nilla
The sky is falling!

We decide to hit the Great Movie Ride (or as I once called it, "Iron Maiden - The Ride"), and as is customary, we have to read some of the signatures in the pavement. But hold on, there's Minnie!

No, not her signature and footprints. Minnie Mouse! The actual Minnie Mouse! Too bad we won't get to meet her right now, because she's off to the place where Disney characters go to become magically rejuvenated before immediately returning to the park.

"Minnie has time to meet just one family. Would you like to meet Minnie?"

Are you kidding? Of course! Snap snap, thanks Minnie, and yes, we WILL have a magical day!

Minnie steps away, and we're stoked to have been the "one family". It's the little things, guys. The little things. Now back to our sidewalk gazing.

Lots of interesting names here. There's Betty White...

And there's her pal...

And there's her confidant...

Wait, that's not right! Ok, let's try again. And there's her confidant...

That's better No Dorothy, but I'm guessing this happened after she passed. I'm not sure what year that was, and I don't feel like looking it up right now. Let's just leave it at "no Dorothy", shall we?

Oh, hey - there's Betty White's confida- um, I mean, Donald Duck!

He does the character switch-a-roo as well, but we won't get a chance to meet him right now. Oh well, guess we'll head inside then.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #51
nilla
The sky is falling!

We decide to refrain from photography during this one, which goes well with Kristin's comment to me that this TR has far too many pictures. We travel through such classics as Mary Poppins, the Wizard of Oz, Iron Maiden's "Powerslave" album, Iron Maiden's "Final Frontier" album, Indy Jones, and Tarzan. This is always a fun one, and our driver is great.

Once done, we decide it's been entirely too long since our first run on Star Tours, so back over we go. We get Tattooine (which the iPod's Notes app auto-correct to "tattooing") and the Death Star. Still awesome, but I preferred our first ride to this one. I'm not disappointed, though - this ride has quite possibly cracked my top 10 with the newest updates.

After that, it's back to Toy Story Mania, which we ride with expired FastPasses. Take THAT, tyrannical new Disney policy! We just recently learned that the premise behind this ride is that we've been shrunk to toy size and are now in Andy's new Midway Games playset. After seeing the queue and the ride itself, I'm ashamed we didn't figure it out on our own:

Since it's early in the vacation and Emily is not yet in full blown "cling to Mom" mode, she rides with her brother, leaving the adults to duke it out on the other side. We get competitive with this - Kristin and Dylan probably the most, but I'm certainly not giving anything less than 100%. My burning right forearm can attest to that. I have a pretty solid lead going into the last event, thanks to a stellar performance on the ring toss. Kristin, however, is not done - she turns it up on the final challenge and passes me on the bonus round. I just couldn't get my plate to switch from 1000 to 2000. Oh well, we'll settle this at Buzz Lightyear!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #52
nilla
The sky is falling!

Alright, let's go draw something.

We skip the presentation part this time and head right into the holding pen for wannabe Disney artists. We have a great time trying to "guess the characters" as the appear on the screen on the wall in this area, and it's obvious that Dylan thinks the beginning stages of every character drawing looks like Simba.

The doors finally open, and in we go. We did this for the first time last year and loved it. None of us are particularly great at drawing, but we try our best here. Dale is the character we'll be taking a stab at...no, not literally. Anyway, here are our attempts:

...and since I don't have a picture of his attempt, here is the boy:

My picture is far too awesome to post here, since I know one of you will copy the image and try to sell it on eBay. I'm on to you DISers.

Outside we go, and we're going to try to hit Voyage of the Little Mermaid again...but we're sadly a few minutes too late AGAIN. Ok, at the very least I'll get a picture:

We grab Emily a pacifier...

...and then it's off to the big kid rides. Hollywood Hotel, here we come!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #53
nilla
The sky is falling!

Emily has emphatically stated that she does NOT want to ride this ride again, but we're not about to listen to the concerns of a six year old, especially when the inconvenience of having to use Rider Swap is on the line. She reluctantly joins us. Hopefully, her opinion of this ride will change. Dylan didn't like it at first, but now he loves it. Let's leave the stroller for the valets...

...then grab some pics before we head on in.

Kristin and the kids stop for a pose...

...and then it's intro time. We walked right into this, no FastPasses needed. With the exception of TSM, this park is dead today. And we love it.

Dylan points out several items in the queue that were from the movie, and every time, I remind him that the movie was made AFTER the ride. Eventually, he gets it.

Downstairs we (think we) go, and I try to mess around with the camera's light settings:

Meh. I hate using flash, so I'll keep trying to figure this out. Meanwhile, let's check in on Emily to see if she's lightened up about this ride.

Yeah, guess not. Oh well, here we go!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #54
nilla
The sky is falling!

Emily is fine with the ascencion, fine with the imagery...fine with everything up until the drop. Even though Kristin and I are both holding her down (as we fly out of our seats), she still doesn't enjoy it. She is adamant in pointing out that we forced her to go on it, and we are just as adamant that she will certainly grow to love this if she gives it just one more chance.

Up next is Aerosmith's Rock 'n Roller Coaster, which Kristin hates and Emily is too small to ride. Dylan and I enter via the single rider line, which is really the way to go if you can do it. It's like having FPs, but you don't have to waste an FP timeslot on it. We've never been on separate trains - I mean, limos - either.

I love this ride. The initial shot is nuts, and the music works perfectly, even if I'm not the biggest Aerosmith fan.

We meet up afterwards with the girls, and Kristin wants to ride TOT again. Emily is definitely NOT interested, and we're not going to push her to go back on...yet. So Kristin and Dylan ride it by means of the 10 minute standby line. Here's proof, if you don't believe me:

That's right, there's NO ONE here today. At least outside of Pixar Place.

I fill up Emily's water sprayer, and we wait for the others to return. The two of us head over to RnR again for pictures, and something else which I can't put my finger on right now. But here are the pictures, anyway:

Back inside the ToT store, I find evidence that Disney really does have personalized merchandise for everyone here:

My only question is, "why is there more than one on the rack? How many would He possibly need?"

The riders finally are done (after a bit of a wait), and we're contemplating what to do next. It's not yet dinner time, but in the present, it IS bedtime, so I'll wrap up tonight's update right here. There will be no update tomorrow night, which should give the thousands of DISboards users who are not reading my TR a chance to catch up.

(next update)

Last edited by nilla; 05-14-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #55
yourMaire83
SPA MARIE

Loving your TR so far!
Old 05-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #56
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilla View Post

Great picture of the family!

Now - wooooh - SLOW down. I can't keep up. I was too busy to read at work the last few days and even if I wasn't, I can't see the pictures there, which are the best part.

So much to comment on.

So funny that the kids woke up and were in a panic that you were right outside the door. Hopefully you wore them out everyday in the park so they didn't do that again.

Swedish fish vodka? Do explain.

So glad you all loved star tours and that picture of Emily in the queue at TOT is priceless. But I think you are making progress!

Dylan is really getting tall! Pre teen is just around the corner! Then you'll NEVER get him out of bed in the morning.

So Bethlehem Brew Works has good fish tacos? Every since Kristin mentioned that I have to figure out how to fit in a visit there pre-flight. I've got to figure out what time to leave here to go see Denny's mom and then make a stop there. I definitely want to check it out.

Great updates!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 05-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #57
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Hello! A newbie to your TRs here, all caught up and joining in.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #58
Disneymom77
Mouseketeer

Loving it so far! The beginning of May seems like a great time to be there!
1989 offsite, 1991 GF, 1993 CBR, 1999 CBR Honeymoon, 2004 CSR, 2007 CSR, 2009 POFQ, Sept 2009 Pop, March 2011 POP, November 2011 AKL Kidani Village, May 2012 Vero Beach, October 2012 OKW, August 2013 Kidani/OKW, April/May 2015 Vero/BCV
Old 05-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #59
TriniandBre
Mouseketeer

Disney Story

Awww man!!! I was enjoying reading and I can't wait until your next update. I love the Ziploc bag thing with the clothes. I am going to have to try that with my kids clothes for our next Disney trip (which will be next year ) My oldest daughter is loving your pictures.

Next Trip to the World October 21st 2014
First Disney Cruise October 25th 2014

==========================
2003 – POR Nov...............2010 - OKW/SSR Dec
2005 – POR Sept/Oct........2011 - All Stars Music Dec
2006 - BWV May/June.......2013 - AKV/BWV Dec
2008 - AKV Jul/Aug...........2014 - All Stars Sports Oct
Old 05-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #60
nilla
The sky is falling!

I am posting this comment right now for two reasons:

1. To let everyone reading know that I will be responding to their comments and posting more updates sometime tonight.

and

2. To get this TR back on page one! The corporate sponsors require visibility!

More to come tonight

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: