Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #16
kristin t
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I am thinking Pepper Market one night but have read a couple not so great reviews. Curious to see what you think.

I will also be flying out of ABE on June 9th,so I will make sure to wave! (cheapest flights I could get and we have family up there to visit pre flight)!

Hello! Pepper Market was my absolute favorite counter service this year - we ate there 3 times!! The mexican station was so good!

If you have any extra time before your flight, you could definitely call us and maybe we could meet for a pre-flight app/drink at Bethlehem Brew Works.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #17
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin t View Post
Hello! Pepper Market was my absolute favorite counter service this year - we ate there 3 times!! The mexican station was so good!
Hi Kristin - welcome back for another TR!

So glad to know you enjoyed the Pepper Market. We will definitely put that on the dinner list. We are staying at a treehouse villa but will have a car. I don't think the QSDP is a great savings, but my SIL wants to do it and with 4 boys that's probably smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin t View Post
If you have any extra time before your flight, you could definitely call us and maybe we could meet for a pre-flight app/drink at Bethlehem Brew Works.
I would love that. I remember Jon talking about that place so I am definitely up for that. It's only my family (me, Denny, and my son Nick) who are flying. Our flight leaves around 6pm and we check into SSR the following morning. My brother's family is taking the auto train.

Cute pictures of the family and your new dog!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #18
nilla
The sky is falling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceMonica View Post
A year without Disney? Uh oh.
That remains to be seen. There's work to be done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I am thinking Pepper Market one night but have read a couple not so great reviews. Curious to see what you think.
As Kristin said, we loved it. It may be my favorite Counter Service now. We'll have to wait until the "Top 10s" at the end of this TR to find out for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbleClank View Post
I have subbed to your report, looking forward to the updates and all the goodness that Disney brings.
Thanks! I'll try

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamary View Post
I'm curious to see how you did with the whole new fastpass set-up.
It was certainly an adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by distherapy View Post
Yay! Thanks for the link.
Enjoy! Thanks for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
i'm in - looking forward to hearing about your trip
Updates coming soon. Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
The kids are growing so fast. And I do love the "toothless smile."
I mostly look at pics from past Disney trips if I'm looking at pics at all, and I'm amazed at how young they were when we had our first trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedChipmunk View Post
Can't wait to hear how your trip panned out.
Wait no longer - here we go!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #19
nilla
The sky is falling!

Day 1: Flight and arrival - Dinner at Pepper Market

Old 05-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #20
nilla
The sky is falling!

We arrive at ABE International Airport in Allentown, PA, which is conveniently located a few miles from our house. It's far from a big airport, so it's a quick trip through security and go our terminal. As we're about to go through, an arriving passenger walks by with a buzzing backpack. Having carried the buzzing backpack before, I know the culprit will end up being an electric razor, but an agent asks him about it all the same. My thought? "I don't feel any better that you caught this AFTER he got off the plane."

We squeeze the double stroller through the x-ray machine, and we're in. I found out right before we left that a friend from high school is going to be on this flight as well. "Small World", as they say.

Our limo pulls up:

We're at Terminal Seven. Seven? Yeah, seven. We fold up the stroller and board the plane. Emily's still too small to keep up with our full-on style of park touring on foot, and the umbrella stroller is too short for me to push comfortably for 12 days, so this chariot is making one final lap around the Coliseum.

Yes, I know that chariots did not race in the Coliseum, but I can't remember the name of where they did race, and I'm not about to pay for in-flight wi-fi just for the sake of accurate information in this Trip Report (no longer a PTR!). Maybe it will come to me if I really think. I think it has the word "Maximus" in it....Gluteus Maximus? No, certainly not. Petrificus Totalus? Nah....wait, Circus Maximus! That was it! See, I was half-right before.

Without the ability to verify that I'm right this time, I stick to the revised metaphor as we board our plane. On the way back to the cheap seats, I pass two of the adult leaders from Dylan's Boy Scout Troop. Their son is on a school band trip, which coincidentally, my coworker and DISboards regular FlightlessDuck is also on. But he's not on this plane. He IS staying at Coronado, so maybe we'll run into him down there.

The plane takes off, as does this Trip Report...finally. As I reach the part I'm typing now, we begin our descent. Seatbelts buckled, portable electronics off...next stop, MCO!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #21
nilla
The sky is falling!

We arrive in Orlando, hop the airport monrail, and we're off to the Magical Express! But first, we have to find the Magical Express. Where is it?

I think it's on the first level. An airport employee confirms this, so down the elevator we go, all the way down to...

Hertz rent-a-car? Huh?? Where's the Magical Express? It was here last year, wasn't it?

We find another employee and learn that it's actually on the opposite side of this area, which we can only get to by taking an elevator back up, then eventually back down again. It's like practice for Tower of Terror, which, by the way, Emily swears she will not go on this year. We'll see, Emily. We'll see.

We get where we need to be, as evident from this sign:

I get my first day-number-indicating photo, and we're on board. As are cheerleaders. Apparently, we're down in the midst of cheerleader week again. Fortunately, the bus stops at CSR first this time, so we have to wait no longer. We're "home"!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #22
nilla
The sky is falling!

We kick it off as usual, with Dylan doing his standard arrival pose:

Then the obligatory fountain pick:

And let's not forget the lobby pics:

Dylan is NOT happy that the TV in the lobby is not showing old cartoons, but rather one of the "Sing a Long Song" videos, so he's boycotting. That'll show 'em! Em's all about it, though:

Then it's on to other entertainment:

There's where I want to be. Out there. Let's hope we get there soon.

Dylan's not the only one who's not happy. Kristin has learned that our "Preferred" room is actually not right on the water, or facing a fountain, or really in a nice place at all. Here's our view from Casitas 3, the same building where we had our dream room last year:

Not as dreamy this year. I'm one to just make the best out of it (it's right next to El Centro, and we loved building 3 last year), but Kristin just is not happy. It's putting a serious black cloud over the start of the vacation. She already taked to the CM at the front desk, but now she's on with a manager:

I'm getting hungry, so I'm hoping this get's resolved soon. The manager tells Kristin she will see what she can do, and she will get back to us. Now it's off to dinner.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #23
nilla
The sky is falling!

We're doing our first dinner at the Pepper Market, a counter service. This will give us the extra meal credit we need for the Hoop-de-Doo Revue later in the week, and it's probably the best count service place I've eaten in WDW. Family pic!

There's the bar. That could come in handy at some point.

We get our food. I go fish tacos:

Very good! I'd definitely get them again. Kristin got the equally good fajitas:

Dylan got the boring burger - his first adult dining plan meal of his life.

Keep in mind that this kid is almost physically unable to eat anything other than PB&J and grilled cheese. He has a hard time eating pizza. This will get interesting. He actually tore this up, though, so we're off to a good start. Emily made us photograph her mac & cheese:

Very good meal, and a great start to the vacation. Let's hope we can get past this room location thing. We picked up our resort mugs and headed back to the room.

(next update)

Last edited by nilla; 05-09-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #24
KatMark
DIS Veteran

you found the ME bus and have arrived "home."

Pepper Market is one of the things I miss about not staying at the CSR. I'm thinking in September we'll have to drive over there for a meal.

Dylan's an adult on the dining plan? This is going to be really interesting knowing his eating habits.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #25
ltjk
Earning My Ears

I am new to posting on the DIS boards, but read your last report which helped immensely in planning our Dec 2011 trip. Looking forward to reading more about your most recent trip!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #26
beckyx3
Mouseketeer

This is my first time posting on a TR (or PTR/TR?), but your writing is so great I just had to let you know!

And poor Emily, being called a hillbilly. Siblings can be so mean! I'm 21 and I'm permanently missing teeth and my sisters are just as bad (and they're older than I am), so I feel her pain! At least hers will grow back though

Great report so far!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #27
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

I was so glad to find this, can't wait to read all about your trip!

My DH is in the "Tired" Category too. He loves it but after our trip last year he said we should take a break for a couple years (!) It doesn't look like we are going on a trip at all this year - we had a cruise tentatively planned but too many things happened this year so far to be able to take the time off, we both had work injuries in March, (11th and 28th) I am back to work but DH is not yet.

We have a cruise booked for 2013, so it looks like the next possibility for a WDW trip is 2014 so I am fixating on that. DH still says "might" but I refuse to go a 3rd year without my Disney fix!!

Awww I love your new little puppy!! (well, not so little anymore...LOL)

Great first dinner! I am curious to see how Dylan fared with being a "Disney Adult." My nephew is the reason my brother stopped getting the dining plan, just about the only thing he will eat is pizza. (well, that and just about any kind of bread there is...)

8/1985--Days Inn Sand Lake Rd, 8/1987-- Wilson World, 12/1987-- Contemporary, 8/1989-- Caribbean Beach, 12/1989-- Port Orleans (now POFQ), 7/1990-- Caribbean Beach, 6/1991-- Carribbean Beach (Senior Week!), 8/1992-- Port Orleans (Now POFQ), 9/1995--All Star Music, August 1998-- Dixie Landings -Alligator Bayou (now PO Riverside), 7/1999-- All Star Movies, 11/2004-- Pop Century, 5/2010 POR Magnolia Bend, 5/2011 Saratoga Springs Resort

Last edited by rndmr2; 05-08-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #28
JeanetteK
Mouseketeer

Hi Jon (and Kristin)!! I'm here and following along! Dan and I really enjoyed our unexpected DisMeet! We really enjoyed talking to you guys -- just wish we would have been there a bit longer to get to know you guys better. Dan has already decided that we are definitely going back next year -- hee hee hee I knew I could get him hooked I loved the picture of "our" benches that Kristin posted saying you guys missed us already. That was so sweet and made me laugh. Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and I can't wait to read about the rest of your trip. By the way, we thought Emily and Dylan were the cutest! Especially after the first night we talked to you and we thought they were killing each other
Old 05-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #29
MEK
DIS Veteran

Yum! Fish tacos. I could definitely go for that! Be back later to see the arrival pics!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 05-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #30
cmaee
DIS Veteran

I was so excited to see you started your TR. I'm killing time on the DIS instead of working like I should be and said to myself, "Self, I wonder if nilla has started this years TR." I really enjoyed reading last years and I have no doubt that this one will be just as good.

Spring 1995 - Magical Mickey Music Days March 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside April 2009 (Easter) - Coronado Springs
August 2010 - Beach Club
December 2010 (Christmas) - Pop Century December 2012 - Pop Century

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: