Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #31
KRuns
Earning My Ears

Also, the Disney World website hasn't been working for me for days. I just want to review the amenities at OKW but I can't get in. Anyone else having this problem?
KRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #32
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRuns View Post
Hi again! Looking at the map, what is a "Grand Villa" (outlined in yellow)?
another name for a 3BR villa. they are tough to book closer than 11 months in.

Quote:
How do I know if I have a HH booking? If it doesn't say anything, is it pretty safe to assume that I don't?
yes, it's either noted as a guaranteed part of the reservation or it's not an option. (most of the OKW owners prefer to stay away from the HH area...IMO primarily due to the traffic/parking issues.)

Quote:
I am going for marathon weekend, so I want to be close to the entrance, prefer not too many stairs, and am staying in a 2 bedroom suite (or joined 1br + studio). I am looking at the buildings at the top of the map, so am I barking up the right tree?
top of the map looks like mostly HH area, yes. OKW buildings are 3 stories and only buildings 62, 63 and 64 have elevators (usually reserved for medical issues, i believe.)

Quote:
Also, the Disney World website hasn't been working for me for days. I just want to review the amenities at OKW but I can't get in. Anyone else having this problem?
using the disney website is a rookie move. probably get better info at this DIS or here:

http://allears.net/acc/faq_okw.htm

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #33
KRuns
Earning My Ears

Thanks!!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #34
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Hi again! Looking at the map, what is a "Grand Villa" (outlined in yellow)?
How do I know if I have a HH booking? If it doesn't say anything, is it pretty safe to assume that I don't?

I am going for marathon weekend, so I want to be close to the entrance, prefer not too many stairs, and am staying in a 2 bedroom suite (or joined 1br + studio). I am looking at the buildings at the top of the map, so am I barking up the right tree?

Thanks a million!

(tried to quote the map but I don't have enough posts to be allowed images yet!)
Did you book using DVC points or did you book paying cash directly to Disney? If you booked using DVC points, your reservation would need to state Hospitality House area to be in that area. The bus for the marathon does not go around the resort, but just picks up at the HH. Millers Road is a good place to be in non-HH area and close to the HH area. My husband has stayed in a Millers Road studio for the marathon and he and his buddy walked to the race start from there. Since that time, OKW has put out information that asks runners to take the bus and not walk to the start (You have to hop the fence to get to the course).

And you are staying in a villa, not a suite. DVC resorts don't have suites which are usually larger rooms (with separate bedrooms) that are on the concierge (club) floor of deluxe resorts. You also have a lockoff (a connecting studio and one bedroom). You might want to request first floor so you don't have any stairs (they can be a bugger after running 13.1 or 26.2 miles).

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #35
KRuns
Earning My Ears

Thanks! When I did my online check-in, I checked off "Hospitality House area" and "Millars Road Area" and with those two checked, everything else was greyed out. Should I maybe uncheck "Hospitality House Area"?

I have some more questions - forgive me if these have been asked somewhere!

Since the room has a kitchen, do they provide dish soap or will I have to buy that? How about filters for the coffeemaker?

Thanks so much, you are all awesome!
Old 01-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #36
Deb & Bill

Quote:
Thanks! When I did my online check-in, I checked off "Hospitality House area" and "Millars Road Area" and with those two checked, everything else was greyed out. Should I maybe uncheck "Hospitality House Area"?

I have some more questions - forgive me if these have been asked somewhere!

Since the room has a kitchen, do they provide dish soap or will I have to buy that? How about filters for the coffeemaker?

Thanks so much, you are all awesome!
They provide dish soap, but not coffee filters. Depending on how you booked (DVC or DRC), you will get at least one new packet of filtered coffee each service day. But if you are a coffee drinker, you'll want more.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #37
happydisneymom
Earning My Ears

This will be our first time staying at OKW. We will be staying in a 1 bedroom. I have three children going on vacation with us. The youngest will be 18 months. I would like to be closest to elevators and buses since we have my lil guy with us. Where are the 1 bedroom rooms located? I don't think we are going to do much swimming since it'll be cold during the first week of Jan, so pools are not that important.

Disney Wonder 2007, Disney Magic 2008, Disney Dream 2011. WDW 2011. WDW June 2013. WDW Dec 2013- Jan 2014
happydisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #38
Deb & Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydisneymom View Post
This will be our first time staying at OKW. We will be staying in a 1 bedroom. I have three children going on vacation with us. The youngest will be 18 months. I would like to be closest to elevators and buses since we have my lil guy with us. Where are the 1 bedroom rooms located? I don't think we are going to do much swimming since it'll be cold during the first week of Jan, so pools are not that important.
The one bedroom villas are located all over the resort. Did you book on points or cash through Disney Reservation Center?

We've done the pools many times in January when we've stayed at OKW for the marathon. And you are not far from any bus with the multiple bus stops at OKW.

But elevators are going to be a problem. Only three of the buildings have them and those buildings are usually reserved for medical needs. You may just want to request a first floor villa.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #39
happydisneymom
Earning My Ears

We are book on points. It be great if we can get some swimming in. Thanks for the advice

Disney Wonder 2007, Disney Magic 2008, Disney Dream 2011. WDW 2011. WDW June 2013. WDW Dec 2013- Jan 2014
happydisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #40
Deb & Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydisneymom View Post
We are book on points. It be great if we can get some swimming in. Thanks for the advice
Did you book Hospitality House Area or not? That makes a difference, too.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #41
OrlandoBelle
Another countdown!

We're staying at OKW next November ... Our first time onsite. Can anyone recommend a nice building to stay in? I read somewhere that the laundry room is right next to one of the smaller pools which would be ideal for us as the kids can play while we wash some clothes!

Would like it quite close to a bus stop since we won't have a car, quiet and a nice view if poss.... Am I asking too much?! Lol. I read somewhere also that you should request buildings 30 and above as they're newer.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #42
Alexander
DIS Veteran

All of the pool areas have laundry rooms. There are also playgrounds at the pools for the kids. None of the buildings at this point would be considered new as OKW has been around for many years. All of the rooms received updating in the recent past. I think your first priority should be near a bus stop if you won't have a car. OKW is a big resort. We got home last night from a 9 day stay and I could not imagine not having a car. Look at the map and see which buildings may be best for you.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #43
Deb & Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoBelle View Post
We're staying at OKW next November ... Our first time onsite. Can anyone recommend a nice building to stay in? I read somewhere that the laundry room is right next to one of the smaller pools which would be ideal for us as the kids can play while we wash some clothes!

Would like it quite close to a bus stop since we won't have a car, quiet and a nice view if poss.... Am I asking too much?! Lol. I read somewhere also that you should request buildings 30 and above as they're newer.
The difference with buildings 30 and higher is that they have a door through the laundry room to the bathroom. You don't have to go through the master bedroom. It was a change to the design that they implemented during construction.

If you are in a one bedroom or larger, you have a full sized washer and dryer in your villa. If you are in a studio, you'll need to use the washer and dryer by the pools.

The entire resort is quiet and you aren't far from a bus stop anywhere at the resort. Plus there are some nice golf course views.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: