Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
dznyacct
DIS Veteran

can you use a Walgreen's gift card to buy a Disney gift card??

Hi ~ I am picking up a Rx that I had transferred to Walgreen's. I will receive a $25 Walgreen's gift card for doing the transfer . Does anyone know if I can use the Walgreen's gift card to buy a Disney gift card . Thanks
Old 05-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
kytiam
DIS Veteran

I have used Walgreens gift cards to buy Disney gift cards 5 or 6 times. I assume the gift card you get for the prescription is a standard gift card...I have used the Walgreens gift cards I have earned thru My Points. It was a white(ish) card with red lettering.
kytiam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Cruise
Wake up, your month is up!;)

I was told no two days ago. I found something on the Walgreen's site about the "Wellness at Walgreens" card (the one you get for transferring a Rx) not being valid for gift card purchases. But they actually had trouble running my coupon for some reason and I ended up with the standard red Walgreens gift card. The cashier told me I couldn't use it to purchase another gift card though.

I've found other places online where people say they've used them for GC purchases, but maybe it's a recent change. Either way, I'm going to try one other Walgreens just in case.

Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
Straitlover
DIS Veteran

Do you shop much at Walgreens? What I would do is use the gift card for something you need anyway,and then use the cash you would have spent to buy the gift card you want. That's what I do sometimes w/ MyPoints. I'll buy a gas card, use it for gas, and then take the cash I would have spent on gas and use it for whatever I really wanted.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
tinkmom2
DIS Veteran

My hubby works for Walgreens and you can't by a gift card with a gift card but you could sell it at a place like plastic jungle or ebay and get close to full value for it.

Private Meeting with Donald and Friends DCL http://youtu.be/UISHRa8lScM
BBB The Reveal http://youtu.be/AOjMTF9YBtk
tinkmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
My3kiddos
DIS Veteran

The Walgreens here will only allow you to use cash to purchase gift cards
Old 05-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
LynnTH
DIS Veteran

I buy different gift cards with Walgreens gift cards all the time. However, not sure if the RX Gift Cards are coded differently or not??
LynnTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
momto2inKC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznyacct View Post
Hi ~ I am picking up a Rx that I had transferred to Walgreen's. I will receive a $25 Walgreen's gift card for doing the transfer . Does anyone know if I can use the Walgreen's gift card to buy a Disney gift card . Thanks
No, they don't allow it.

momto2inKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
goodmorningbelle
Earning My Ears

I buy Disney gift cards with a regular Walgreens gift card all the time. I know you cannot with a Walgreens rebate gift card though, and I'm not sure what a prescription gift card looks like. Good luck though!
goodmorningbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:33 PM   #10
dznyacct
DIS Veteran

And the answer was....no . That's OK . I treated myself to a bottle of perfume and got two Mother's Day cards .
Old 08-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #11
tkitty
DIS Veteran

Just got my 6th Disney GC at Walgreens using a Walgreens GC that I got from MyPoints.
I have gotten them at various stores.
If you ask, they will say "YOU CAN'T BUY A GC WITH A GC!"
Yesterday, for example, I got a Disney GC, and 4-5 other items (maybe $10-20 of other merch.), swiped my $50 Walgreens GC (I sometimes just say I am using 2 different cards) it takes off $50, then I swipe my CC for the balance,
The only time that I have had trouble is when I cut the amounts too close using coupons etc. I have messed up twice and couldn't get the card- but it was only that I tried to do too many GCs, or redeem too many rewards etc, and when they start to try to figure out why the transaction is not going through, they see the GC and assume thats the problem.
I work retail and if their registers allow the transaction, then I don't see a problem.
You cannot go in with a $50 Walgreens GC and Buy a other GC alone.
But it still works! I did it yesterday!
Grew up near DL-Disneyland grad nite jr hi 1973-High school 1976 *1999 Land & Sea pkg - Contemporary/Disney*2005 First Disneyland trip with Grandson*2006 WDW Aug. POFQ*2008 Disneyland trip (first for granddaugter)*WDW-OKW & ASMu Oct 2009*Best DL trip ever May 2010* 1st MHP-DL! Oct 2011* OKW/POFQ Grandkids trip Oct 2012

tkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #12
TheRatPack
Under penalty of law this tag not to be removed except by the tagfairy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkitty View Post
Just got my 6th Disney GC at Walgreens using a Walgreens GC that I got from MyPoints.
I have gotten them at various stores.
If you ask, they will say "YOU CAN'T BUY A GC WITH A GC!"
Yesterday, for example, I got a Disney GC, and 4-5 other items (maybe $10-20 of other merch.), swiped my $50 Walgreens GC (I sometimes just say I am using 2 different cards) it takes off $50, then I swipe my CC for the balance,
!
Good tip...thanks for sharing

TheRatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
alyssa810
It's much more fun on the boat
Must have creme brulee

I've received Walgreens gift cards form mypoints as well, and I've had no problems using it to buy Disney gift cards. I've done this at 3 different Walgreens; I've done it where I've only bought the gift card, as well as getting other items. I wonder if it could also just depend on your store...
annual trips since 1997! some highlights: 1st trip Feb 1985**1st onsite WL 11/2002: ENGAGED @ MK**Honeymoon @ DLP- NB 4/2004**DVC members and our OKW love affair begins 12/2004**29th b-day@DLH 8/2005**Joel's 1st trip 12/2007 CBR**back to DLP-SL 6/2010**GCV 9/2011 Happy 4th B-day Joel!***ASMu & BCV 9/2012***OKW1/2013***GCH & GCV 2/2014***OKW 2/2015 40+ trips and counting!!

8 Parks in 9 Months (part II)TR here! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2439987
8 Parks in 9 Months (part III)TR here! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post37117909
alyssa810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa810 View Post
I wonder if it could also just depend on your store...
There used to be a thread that talked about this subject, and what alyssa said is what it all came down to. It totally depended on your individual store, and also the cashier's opinion. If they actually ran it, it tended to work; but many cashiers won't even try it. But that was for a normal Walgreens GC; the pharmacy part of it might change it all.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
floridascgirl
DIS Veteran

Yep...it totally depends on the store and/or cashier.

I tried to use a MyPoints Walgreens GC to purchase a Disney GC at my neighborhood Walgreens and was told by the cashier that it couldn't be used. A few days later, I tried at another Walgreens and they said that it was no problem. I have since successfully purchased 2 more from them with no issues.

It's been over a year since I've done this and I was just thinking of purchasing another MyPoints Walgreens card to get another Disney one. I'm kinda worried though because I noticed that my "lucky Walgreens" has changed managers.

Many trips as a child! 2005 Thanksgiving Wilderness Lodge2008 Jan. Wilderness Lodge
2009 Jan/Feb Animal Kingdom Lodge2009 Dec. Animal Kingdom Lodge2010 July Boardwalk Inn2011 Feb. Animal Kingdom Lodge2012 Nov. Pop Century

floridascgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: