Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 12:58 AM   #1546
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

The One With all the Christmas

Hey guys! Since I was such a DIS slacker for most of December, I though I'd share some of what I was up to!

In addition to it being the busiest time of year at work, I had also promised my little brother-you all know him as Uncle Cory- a quilt for Christmas. He had chosen the fabric that he wanted, and I was all set to sew it. However, one day Maddie and I were at the fabric store and stumbled upon the most perfect fabric ever. He is a Star Wars fanatic, and loves comic books too. You can imagine how excited I was when I found Star Wars Comic Book fabric!!!! I had to buy it! And since Disney bought Star Wars-there's a Disney connection!

Since it's not what he'd asked for, I made it a small one

A close up of the fabric

And then, Bryan had a great idea for the actual quilting. It's not perfect, but this is my attempt at sewing Darth Vader's helmet

So, not only did Uncle Cory want a quilt for Christmas, so did my MiL. She just re-did her family room, and she wanted a quilt in colors to coordinate. She also requested hidden Mickeys. Another Disney connection!

A close up so that you can see the HMs-I quilted them in so they're very subtle.

And finally what would a Christmas update be without some pics of Maddie? She loved all of her gifts, but her fave by far was the American Girl doll that MiL gave her on Christmas Eve. I am actually kind of excited to try to make some clothes for the doll-I already have plans for several doll sized Disney princess dresses. Maddie's birthday is in early February so we'll pay a visit to the American Girl store for her birthday.

Uncle Cory was taking the photos. She's showing me the doll

Flipping through the catalog

And then on Christmas morning--Santa came! And he wrapped all of the presents in Disney Princess paper!

Brave!

Sophia the First book!

And the special Cinderella Set! I've never seen Lady Tremaine, Drizzella, Anastasia, Cindy, Prince C, and Fairy Godmother all in one set! It also came with a doll sized dress form and the pink dress. I thought the dress form was awesome, and luckily so did Mads!

Her second favorite present? Her very own sewing machine! Mommy had told her that she needed to be 6 before she got it, but Santa must have thought she was old enough. Wish me luck and patience when I teach a headstrong princess to sew.

This one shows the ridiculous array of Disney stuff that Santa brought. He must have found the same sale at the Disney Store that Mommy did? I'm embarrassed to admit there was even more stuff under the tree from mom and dad.

Thanks for letting me share! I hope that all of you had a wonderful holiday and that you have a fantastic new year. Thank you all for being a part of my life this year. You guys are the best.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:23 AM   #1547
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Looks like you guys had a wonderful Christmas!!! I love the quilts you made - the hidden Mickeys are so cute and subtle!

Can I just say how happy I was to see that Maddie got an American Girl doll? I used to LOVE mine when I was little, and I love that they're still around!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 06:48 AM   #1548
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Pretty close. We were probably 10th in line. Rapunzel didn't have much to say to the kids that morning.
She was probably just having a bad hair day.

Quote:
That's a good point. I suppose I could find myself on the other side of that some day. I do really blame the parent-he not only should have prepped her, he also should have jumped in. To the kids credit, she was very sweet and didn't say another word about it once she heard me tell Maddie that they were real.
Somewhere out there, there's a thread that goes something like this.

"So after months of Little Joanie being both totally conflicted about whether the Characters were real or not and being completely terrified that they might be, I finally convince her that they're not real. She couldn't reconcile the real Queen of England was 'real' but the Evil Queen was not. Finally, FINALLY! I convinced her that they were all normal people playing roles. Well, we get to MK and she decides she wants to see for herself. Her psychiatrist suggested that this might happen and to allow her to do it. So we get in line, and poor Joanie is having a minor panic attack trying to convince herself that the characters aren't real. She's repeating over and over, "They're not real! They're just people!". All of a sudden, this crazy woman starts going on and on in a really loud voice that the Princesses are real!!! OMG! So now we've had to commit poor little Joanie to an asylum for the perpetually incurable and our psychiatrist says she may never, ever get better."

:

Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
Old 12-31-2012, 07:32 AM   #1549
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
Hey guys! Since I was such a DIS slacker for most of December, I though I'd share some of what I was up to!
Thanks for sharing! I remember when my DDs got their American Girl Dolls... I refinanced the house mortgage and sold a kidney and was able to supply dresses and props for them. Eventually they each got a second doll and I built two sets of bunk beds for them (I think AG wanted $3,847 for their bunk beds... and I was out of spare kidneys.)

This picture cracks me up:

The little tree has taken a tumble during the gift opening frenzy!!

I'm quite impressed with your quilting skills. Love the hidden Mickeys, very subtle... Kind of like an inside joke, you won't know they're there unless someone points them out or you're looking for them. And the Darth quilting is particularly impressive.

Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
Old 12-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #1550
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

It look like Maddie had an awesome princess filled Christmas! A late Merry Christmas and very Happy New Year to your family!

By the way, great job on the quilts. The Vader helmet sewn into it looks awesome! You must do quite a bit of sewing, so I'm sure that Maddie will love her new sewing machine and the mother/daughter time learning how to use it! As long as you don't hurt each other first.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #1551
StitchIsOurHero
I was smart enough to marry a DH who does the laundry!
Dun-DUN! Has 8 Matthew McConaugheys at work!
The Rock, in his little man-bikini, is quite pretty!

Love the updates--you are definitely terrific at sewing! That is so neat that Maddie will be able to learn that from you and you can spend time together doing that.

My DS (who is 4, and thinks Maddie is his "princess friend in the computer" after he watched the trip surprise video) was so excited that Santa wrapped her presents in princess paper. Why? Because Santa wrapped HIS in Mater paper, and seeing Maddie's proves that Santa is SO smart, he knows everyone's favorites!

Looks like y'all had a wonderful Christmas! So much fun!!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #1552
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

Apparently this was the year of the American Girl doll. My MIL spoiled Kadence by giving one AG doll and the Bitty Twins. And more accessories than my some house can handle. Plus she makes AG clothes, ( she does craft shows and home sales, if you'd like to see what she has let me know.) so Kadence's dolls are always best dressed.

Santa is amazing! Our house is starting to look like the WOD came home with us.

Beautiful quilts!!! I love the HM's and Darth is the coolest thing ever! They are very lucky to have you!

Happy New Year!
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)
Old 12-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #1553
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Wow....Maddie made out really good at Christmas; Santa must have thought she was a very good girl this year.

I can't wait to hear how it goes with teaching Maddie how to sew.

Great job on the quilts.

In case I don't get back again before tomorrow (so many TR's to catch up on yet again), Happy New Year to you and your beautiful family.

RIP Genie
Old 12-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #1554
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

I'm glad you enjoyed the welcome show! It really is perfect.

Oh my gosh... what a little BUTT. Maddie was being super sweet and RoI STILL had to be the RoI? What is that about? Thank goodness for Ariel and Eric, they always save the day. I had faith that they would. I'm glad all the character interactions that morning ended up being amazing!

Hahaha, I still photograph the fake Liberty Bell, too! I mean, the real one is cool, but the fake one is at Disney, so...

What an awesome Christmas! You're a very talented quilter!

-Marissa
Old 12-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #1555
My sister's princess
These boards have grimmer police
I have never been involved in a conspiracy before!

Great Christmas photos, I love how happy your daughter always is!
Old 12-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #1556
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Your quilts are beautiful! It looks like you had a wonderful Christmas. There are always lots of Disney themed gifts around here too lol Happy New Year to you and your family as well!!

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Old 12-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #1557
lvcourtneyy
DIS Veteran

I will keep you posted on the Prince Eric front! 3 days til we're back, I can't believe it! And Dbf's sister and husband are coming with their DD2 who I have converted into a little mermaid addict and walks around saying mermaid 23 hours of the day. I'm excited about it. Her parents are less excited than I.

Aw American Girl dolls are precious! I'm pretty sure the ones my sisters and I had are retired now I had Josephina, my sisters had Kit and Kirsten? and my cousin had Samantha. Guess that's a sign of how old I'm getting!

I still have the clothes my grandmother made for our dolls! They even had their own wardrobe that she made. I hope Maddie loves hers as much as I loved mine. She came everywhere with me for a period of time and had dresses for every occasion. If she really gets into it, I foresee a trip to the American Girl Place in your future!

Trip Reports In Progress:

Ooo I'm really scaredd! A Sept 13 TR!
Excuse me, your child can NOT go on stage with Mickey: a January 2013 TR!

Completed: We both got real jobs, now we can go to Disney: Sept 2013 PTR
July 2000: GKTW Village// January 2012 offiste// January 2013 Pop Century// September 2013 Pop Century

Follow me on Instagram: @courtneyeliizabeth
Old 12-31-2012, 05:13 PM   #1558
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

aw I love the Christmas pics
Old 12-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #1559
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I am loving the quilts! I am sure that they will be treasured forever. It was a tradition that, when you married or had a child, my grandmother would make a quilt for you. The small quilt that she made for Hunter was the last that she made before she passed away. Having something made especially for you makes it extra special.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 12-31-2012, 11:39 PM   #1560
jecskc
DIS Veteran

I love your quilts !! I have made several of them and I am working on one now. It has an applique border that is taking me forever. It looks great, but I have decided that applique isn't my thing. I prefer the piecing.

I have a BUNCH of patterns for American Girl clothes and I have made several dresses for my daughter's doll. Fun stuff !! We haven't made a princess dress yet, but I will get around to it.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: