Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #61
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveeeyore View Post
Yes, we are! We have done so on our last several trips, since JetBlue started flying direct to MCO from Westchester. We also love that airport! It is extremely pleasant, and also the closest to where we live, so it works out all around. It is always our first choice departure airport, but unfortunately, service is relatively limited. On the other hand, we like its small size, and adding more service would mean increasing the size of the airport, and I don't think we'd like that!

DDW, are you from the New York area?!
Yep, I'm from Westchester as well (but am currently attending university in Philadelphia). And Westchester Airport makes traveling much more enjoyable - the airport's easier to navigate, has shorter lines, etc. On the other hand, ever since JetBlue opened T5 in JFK, I've been tempted to fly out of there just so we could see the new terminal - but Westchester is just too convenient!
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #62
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
Yep, I'm from Westchester as well (but am currently attending university in Philadelphia). And Westchester Airport makes traveling much more enjoyable - the airport's easier to navigate, has shorter lines, etc. On the other hand, ever since JetBlue opened T5 in JFK, I've been tempted to fly out of there just so we could see the new terminal - but Westchester is just too convenient!
So we are neighbors!! How exciting! When are you going in August?

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #63
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So we are neighbors!! How exciting! When are you going in August?
We're probably going on the 14th or 15th, so we'll miss you by a few days, but I'll get to see some of your reviews before leaving.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #64
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
We're probably going on the 14th or 15th, so we'll miss you by a few days, but I'll get to see some of your reviews before leaving.

Bummer we'll just miss you. I know! I'll talk Aladdin into extending the trip a few days ! Well, now I really feel the pressure to get my reviews done quickly!

*Fingers crossed* that you actually get to go ahead and book that trip!

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Old 07-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #65
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Bummer we'll just miss you. I know! I'll talk Aladdin into extending the trip a few days ! Well, now I really feel the pressure to get my reviews done quickly!

*Fingers crossed* that you actually get to go ahead and book that trip!
I hope so too! And I would definitely say to extend the trip, but my financial advice isn't the best.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #66
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Practicing for my live report

I hope to do a live report using my phone starting next week. This is a practice post.

Tonight to celebrate 7 days until Disney, we went out to our favorite local burger joint:

We shared a salad with bleu cheese dressing. This photo depicts only my portion after it was mixed in a big bowl:

Then I had a Squire's Burger with American cheese and sweet potato fries:

I.wanted to take more photos for you, especially of Aladdin's Smother Burger and onion rings, but my family was getting a little embarrassed by me taking food photos in a local restaurant. It's perfectly acceptable in Disney but not so much at home.

These photos were taken with my phone and uploaded to photobucket and then included in this post. I did ok, right?! I'm planning to do a live trip report in this manner...not necessarily including dining details, but we'll see how that goes.

If you live in Westchester county, ahem...DDW...you must try Squire's for the world's BEST burger!

Last edited by iloveeeyore; 07-27-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #67
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

I've never been to Squire's, but I could always go for a good burger and that looks great.

And I have to agree with you - for some reason, I feel just fine taking food pictures in Disney with my camera. But in a Manhattan, local, or Philadelphia restaurant, I don't want to attract extra attention, so I stick with my iPhone for the occasional food pic. Ah, the magic of Disney
Old 07-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #68
MainStreetFireman
DIS Veteran

so funny...

Quote:
I.wanted to take more photos for you, especially of Aladdin's Smother Burger and onion rings, but my family was getting a little embarrassed by me taking food photos in a local restaurant. It's perfectly acceptable in Disney but not so much at home.
...how the other 3 of us were saying "Mommmmm, what are you doing? People KNOW us here!!!"

The things that are acceptable, even commonplace in WDW, that we just don't do at home...

I've been BOOed by iloveeeyore
MainStreetFireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #69
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

You guys are TOOO funny with the food photo cracks! I completely understand the concept that if I'm on vacation and in WDW where so many people do this that it is acceptable (even dare I say "normal") to take photos of your food. But at home... I just feel odd!

And may I congratulate you on unraveling another mysterious part of Mr. DDW - living in Westchester/Philly! Stupid question from me... Is White Plains airport the same as Westchester? Years ago I flew in/out of there when I had business travel for clients in that area. I remember it being a small airport with family pets accompanying travelers in the terminal building.

Congrats on getting your Mickey mail and your upcoming nite at Contemporary. I love, love, love, that place (well, that and BLT where we typically stay.) and you are soo right, the castle lights never go out.

BTW: I loved the backstory for Chef Mickey's as the first dinner in WDW! I absolutely agree - it is not the food that necessarily makes it a wonderful experience. One day we'll have to try it....

You have less that a week to go - how EXCITING!!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #70
MainStreetFireman
DIS Veteran

It's come a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Is White Plains airport the same as Westchester? Years ago I flew in/out of there when I had business travel for clients in that area. I remember it being a small airport with family pets accompanying travelers in the terminal building.
Officially known as Westchester County Airport (in county), its call letters are HPN, which stands for White Plains, which it is usually still called by many.

When I first flew out of HPN, it was a quonset hut, literally, that held 2 dozen people at most. This building was where you checked in and claimed baggage, often simultaneously; so you know what kind of chaos that was like.

Now it is an efficient airport that also, did I mention, has pretty affordable DIRECT flights to Orlando. Perfect.

I've been BOOed by iloveeeyore
MainStreetFireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #71
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainStreetFireman View Post
Officially known as Westchester County Airport (in county), its call letters are HPN, which stands for White Plains, which it is usually still called by many.

When I first flew out of HPN, it was a quonset hut, literally, that held 2 dozen people at most. This building was where you checked in and claimed baggage, often simultaneously; so you know what kind of chaos that was like.

Now it is an efficient airport that also, did I mention, has pretty affordable DIRECT flights to Orlando. Perfect.
Aha! Then I've been there many times - years ago! I have a funny story of the first time I flew there and how naive I can be. Back in the day when they had phones against a wall (no booths) and I was calling my DH letting him know I had made it safe to NY. Apparently I didn't communicate my travel plans well because he asked "Who did you travel with this time?" I replied for all to hear, "Oh, I traveled alone this time, I'm here all by myself." He could have killed me. He said look around you and see how many people just picked out their next vicitim!!! Happy to say that I didn't get mugged or otherwise accosted.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #72
Sappermont
DIS Veteran

I'm in! Have a great trip!
Old 07-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #73
sushi candy
Foodie

I'm in! I love your rating system and I can't wait to read your reviews. A night at CR with a Magic Kingdom view sounds like heaven.
sushi candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:50 PM   #74
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
And may I congratulate you on unraveling another mysterious part of Mr. DDW - living in Westchester/Philly! Stupid question from me... Is White Plains airport the same as Westchester? Years ago I flew in/out of there when I had business travel for clients in that area. I remember it being a small airport with family pets accompanying travelers in the terminal building.
Slowly but surely, my entire life story is unfolding on this site. Westchester Airport is great. It doesn't offer flights to many places (that's why we have JFK ), but for a direct flight to Orlando on JetBlue, nothing beats it.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #75
jennyf2
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up

Photos look great! August is JUST about here. Can't wait to follow your live trip report

Now living 10 minutes from DISNEY
jennyf2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: