Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Rating System

This is my first attempt at both building and using a rating system. We're really excited to see how it works this trip. We will take into account food quality, variety, service, atmosphere and entertainment, since Disney Dining, for us, is more about the overall experience in a venue than just the food. Monetary value won't play too much of a role in our considerations, since we are on the DxDP and everything is already paid-for (ha, I might recant this when those gratuities start to add up ), but I will take value into account during my discussions.

So I'd like to introduce you to my rating system!

We will call this first rating 1/5:

Raincloud Eeyore represents the worst possible restaurant rating. The food, service, atmosphere and value were poor, and little or no redeeming quality could be found. We would not go back to this restaurant (or try this snack again)! In other words, there is NO bright side for poor, gloomy Eeyore. We hope to NOT see this guy again, even though he is ridiculously cute. We can always look back to post #16 of this report to enjoy him, if we so choose. To give you an idea where what we mean by this one, we would put ABC Commissary in this category, and Aladdin would put Yak & Yeti here, because the one time we tried it, he found the tip of a latex glove in his mouth with his bite of food. Very little was done to compensate us for this disgusting event (they gave us "free dessert" though we were on the DDP), and Aladdin refuses to ever step foot in the place again, it turns his stomach to think of it. No matter how tasty the curry bowl or the fried rice, no deliciousness or free dessert could compensate for potential hepatitis or choking to death. We wouldn't return.

Our next rating will be 2/5:

Unhappy Eeyore is still a bit depressed, but at least it isn't raining on him. The edge has been taken off his gloom, because there is some some redeeming quality to be found in his meal or snack. Maybe there was an entertainment value, or the service was excellent, or it was sooo cheap we expected nothing or didn't care...or perhaps everything overall was just meh, but not horrible (i.e., NO rubber gloves ended up in our mouths). We wouldn't rush back to the venue within the next few trips, but we wouldn't necessarily ban it forever or totally pan it here on the DIS, either! Nor would we recommend it. We might chalk it up to a "bad night" for the restaurant or server. For your reference, Whispering Canyon Cafe belongs in this category per our experience. We found the food barely acceptable, the service spotty, the antics unamusing after the first 10 minutes, (there weren't even any games during our 90 minute meal), and even the margarita wasn't good. However, the shakes were delicious and the atmosphere in the open lobby of the WL are intriguing and beautiful, and we think we probably ordered wrong (we ALL got the skillet...maybe we'd prefer something else?). We will probably return again someday when we stay at the WL, which we intend to do one year around the holidays, but until we have a different experience, we cannot recommend this place to anyone.

Things are looking much better when we reach the 3/5 rating:

Happy Eeyore is neither elated nor disappointed. He has a sated tummy and he enjoyed his meal or snack, it basically met his expectations. The venue will be kept on the rotation, probably not for every trip, but there is something there that would cause us to return, and we would even recommend it to friends and other DISers. In our experience, most Disney dining venues belong in this (or the next) category. San Angel Inn and Les Chefs de France belong solidly here. We had some really nice food, special kind of atmosphere, fine service, maybe some part of the meal was even exceptional (view of volcano, Avocado Margarita and Pollo a las Rajas...Remy, Onion Soup and Profiteroles), but other things were not great enough to bump it up into the next category (tables too close together, atmosphere too noisy, some food items just meh, service fine but not great). Great time, we just don't feel compelled to return next trip!

Next we have our great rating, 4/5:

Party Eeyore is so happy, he's almost floating on air...but he still needs a little lift from the balloons. This restaurant ALMOST merits the highest available rating, but there is something that prevents it from achieving the highest honor. Biergarten and Flying Fish would fall into this category for us. We had a wonderful meal with great entertainment and exceptional service at Biergarten last trip, but in the end...it is still a buffet, and this rater would have a hard time awarding highest honors to a buffet (or family-style meal). We of course found items on the buffet that weren't perfect (while we love it, Stouffer's mac and cheese?). That said, we loved it and cannot wait to return, because it offers lunch as an option, we can probably come here most trips! I was terribly disappointed in the signature snapper at FF, and though everything else we tasted there was scrumptious, their signature dish just wasn't good for me, so it we'd give it a 4 instead of a 5. Still great, but not quite excellent!

Finally, the rating of excellence, 5/5!

Nirvana Eeyore is in love, in heaven, on cloud 9! This is one of the best overall dining experiences of his life, and he can't wait to return. In fact, he might plan another whole vacation on the desire to return to this restaurant! Service, atmosphere and food are perfect, we couldn't ask for more, it was everything we dreamed of! In our experience California Grill and Hoop Dee Doo Revue fall into this category (my family would put Raglan Road here, too, but I disagree, my food hasn't been quite good enough). Both have something extra special to offer, something unique and spectacular and altogether magical.

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort

Last edited by iloveeeyore; 05-07-2012 at 07:43 PM.
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #17
CanadianPaco
Canadian
I was 5'4" because of my big hair

Awesome!!!!!!!
Aug 2009 - ASMu / Aug 2010 - POFQ
Aug 2007 - HoJos - DL / April 2009 - HoJos - DL
Aug 2004 - ASMo / July 2005 - Pop
CanadianPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #18
raniroo
If you look like your passport photo you need the holiday!

Exciting! Your plan sounds fantastic and your rating system is .............awesome!!!!!!...Eeyeore forever!!!!

Raniroo's Magical First Disney Paris Trip
Raniroo's solo dining review with a bottle of antacid - Pretrip Raniroo's solo dining review with a bottle of Antacid
Raniroo's Solo Disneyland Trip 2013
Game: Guess the Dish and Restaurant?
raniroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #19
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPaco View Post
Awesome!!!!!!!
Thank you! Thanks for hopping with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniroo View Post
Exciting! Your plan sounds fantastic and your rating system is .............awesome!!!!!!...Eeyeore forever!!!!
Hi, Roo! So glad you're here! Thanks for the compliment and oh, yeah, Eeyore rules the world!

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Old 05-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #20
CraigB03
Earning My Ears

Love, Love, LOVE your rating system. Eeyore is where it's at. Can't wait to follow along throughout the course of your PTR and Dining Reviews. Your going to most of the restaurants I went to on my last trip so I'm excited to see how our experiences compare......Did I mention how awesome your rating system is
CraigB03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #21
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveeeyore View Post
Thank you, we are soooo excited to be heading back so soon, too! Thanks for the encouragement about the plans. Aladdin is opposed to paying OOP for any meals, on principle. He feels that the DxDP should be more than enough to satisfy us without having to pay more, except for adult beverages and tips, of course. We have never shared meals before, but primarily because we like to sample a variety. Typically, our family of 4 will order 4 different dishes so we can taste them all. It will be hard to see a fourth dish on the menu we'd like to try but skip it to save the credit. I will look at it as we are also saving the calories. We surely won't need a FULL 3 course meal twice a day. Especially since we will be "forced" to eat 2 snacks per day !

What meals have you most enjoyed sharing? Have you shared at any of the above? I'd appreciate any tips! And thanks for reading! I am reading yours, too!
We've had great success sharing meals at many of the places you plan to eat at- Citrico's, Kona, Via Napoli, LTT, Le Cellier, and Cali Grill. We weren't on the DDP, but I don't see why it would matter. The only thing you might encounter is if everyone wants a soft drink you might have to pay for one extra drink. We always share the Big Kahuna breakfast platter at Kona. At Citricos we shared the grouper and they split it for us in the kitchen. Also we shared the pork at Cali Grill and it was split by the kitchen. My son and I have shared the burger at Le Cellier and LTT. We usually like to order an appy and dessert so splitting meals works well for us to try more things. I really hope it works out for you.

BTW, I love your Eyeore rating system. So cute.

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside, Wilderness Lodge
Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #22
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigB03 View Post
Love, Love, LOVE your rating system. Eeyore is where it's at. Can't wait to follow along throughout the course of your PTR and Dining Reviews. Your going to most of the restaurants I went to on my last trip so I'm excited to see how our experiences compare......Did I mention how awesome your rating system is
Oh, thank you so much for joining in my dining report! I see you are relative new to the DIS so you probably didn't post dining reviews of those places? Did you have any "don't miss" dishes at any of the restuarants? Thanks about the rating system! I'm excited about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Cheshire Cat View Post
We've had great success sharing meals at many of the places you plan to eat at- Citrico's, Kona, Via Napoli, LTT, Le Cellier, and Cali Grill. We weren't on the DDP, but I don't see why it would matter. The only thing you might encounter is if everyone wants a soft drink you might have to pay for one extra drink. We always share the Big Kahuna breakfast platter at Kona. At Citricos we shared the grouper and they split it for us in the kitchen. Also we shared the pork at Cali Grill and it was split by the kitchen. My son and I have shared the burger at Le Cellier and LTT. We usually like to order an appy and dessert so splitting meals works well for us to try more things. I really hope it works out for you.

BTW, I love your Eyeore rating system. So cute.
I doubt we will share meals at any of the signature places...unless we are REALLY full. We are definitely going to want to sample as many different dishes as we can. I could definitely see sharing an appetizer and a burger with fries (and toffee cake) at LTT or the Big Kahuna at Kona with Belle, though! The problem in my family will be on narrowing it down to who is willing to share and who is in the mood for the same thing on any given day. If it doesn't work out and we can't figure ways to share at least 4 meals over the course of a week...then we are even MORE gluttonous than I already know we are!

Thanks about the rating system. LOVE Eeyore!

Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #23
CraigB03
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE=iloveeeyore;44840763]Oh, thank you so much for joining in my dining report! I see you are relative new to the DIS so you probably didn't post dining reviews of those places? Did you have any "don't miss" dishes at any of the restuarants? Thanks about the rating system! I'm excited about it!

There are a few.... of course.... it is Disney after all the clear food capital of the world

The on dish I dream about and must have every time I go to WDW is the Almond crusted cheesecake at Narcoossees..... with every bite the clouds part and angels sing
The sword fish at Citricos is another favorite along with the shrimp and feta appetizer and while the Tonga Toast used to get all the exposure here on the boards, more and more I'm realizing that people have begun to discover my personal favorite breakfast option at Kona... the pineapple, macadamia pancakes.

Finally, it looks like day 8 will be spent in HS in which case I'd recommend either the Carrot Cake cookie (mom's fav) from the Writers stop or the the Red velvet cupcake (my fav) from starring rolls for your "breakfast" snack credit.... after all, calories don't count in Disney (Despite what your 7 pounds in 12 days might think)

Thanks for considering the advice of a Disney amateur... it means a lot coming from a DIS vet like yourself.....always enjoy your reviews. I'll be headed back the world in late August and am planning on attempting my first DR soon after.
CraigB03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #24
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=CraigB03;44842699]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveeeyore View Post
Oh, thank you so much for joining in my dining report! I see you are relative new to the DIS so you probably didn't post dining reviews of those places? Did you have any "don't miss" dishes at any of the restuarants? Thanks about the rating system! I'm excited about it!

There are a few.... of course.... it is Disney after all the clear food capital of the world

The on dish I dream about and must have every time I go to WDW is the Almond crusted cheesecake at Narcoossees..... with every bite the clouds part and angels sing
The sword fish at Citricos is another favorite along with the shrimp and feta appetizer and while the Tonga Toast used to get all the exposure here on the boards, more and more I'm realizing that people have begun to discover my personal favorite breakfast option at Kona... the pineapple, macadamia pancakes.

Finally, it looks like day 8 will be spent in HS in which case I'd recommend either the Carrot Cake cookie (mom's fav) from the Writers stop or the the Red velvet cupcake (my fav) from starring rolls for your "breakfast" snack credit.... after all, calories don't count in Disney (Despite what your 7 pounds in 12 days might think)

Thanks for considering the advice of a Disney amateur... it means a lot coming from a DIS vet like yourself.....always enjoy your reviews. I'll be headed back the world in late August and am planning on attempting my first DR soon after.
I definitely have that Almond-Crusted Cheesecake from Narcoossee's (after the Surf & Turf) and the Shrimp & Feta appy from Citricos on my list. I run a little hot and cold about swordfish, so I will have to see what kind of mood I'm in that night. ITA about the Pineapple Macadamia Nut Pancakes at Kona! They are MUCH better than the Tonga Toast...not that the TT is bad... We had breakfast at Kona many years ago, before I started doing DRs, and I've been dreaming of those pancakes since! And yes, we all agree, we MUST try the Carrot Cake Cookie in DHS!

I appreciate all of your suggestions, please keep them coming. And thanks for reading all of my reports; again, I'm so glad you're here for this one, too. I look forward to reading yours!

Old 05-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #25
megan511
Mouseketeer

Joining in! I love Eeyore too, he is my absolute fave! I would love to do DxDP one day but we will probably wait until our kids are older. I think it is so great that your teens still love Disney!
Old 05-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #26
bethko1
Earning My Ears

Can not wait to read your dining report!!!
bethko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #27
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Looks like some wonderful dining choices! And to be staying at the Poly ... fabulous! Looking forward to reading your reviews.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #28
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to your reviews! Looks like you're hitting some great places.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #29
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

And also: I love your rating system! Hopefully there won't be many raincloud or unhappy Eeyores.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #30
deenbrad
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a great trip! Looking forward to your reviews!
off-site many times 1989-2009 (including half of our honeymoon in 1996!), Pop Century May 2011
deenbrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: