Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #136
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabead View Post
Sorry I'm a little late in getting here. Real life has kept me busy the last couple of days. But I'm here now and in it for the duration!

Oh and btw...Great start and I'm looking forward to more!
I'm glad you're here! And I read on your DR that you were getting your DD2 all set up at college! We have 12 more days until Belle's first move-in day, so we feel your angst!

Hard to think about it! Focus on dining report! Stay tuned for more...

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #137
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveeeyore View Post
I'm glad you're here! And I read on your DR that you were getting your DD2 all set up at college! We have 12 more days until Belle's first move-in day, so we feel your angst!

Hard to think about it! Focus on dining report! Stay tuned for more...

Ahh yes, it is so hard to let them go, isn't it...especially their first time leaving for college. When we took DD1 to college for the first time four years ago, I was a mess. I did manage to keep it together though until the ride back home. I then somehow thought it would be easier with the second child, when DD2 started college last year. Nope, not easier.

But anyway, on a more positive note, it wasn't quite as bad this year...with just a few problems to deal with along the way (which I posted about this morning ). Hope your moving day goes much more smoothly!

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - #3
- and - APRIL 2014 REVIEW - My Solo Birthday Trip

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #138
basketlacey
DIS Veteran

Great reviews so far! I love the surprise you pulled over on your kids! Mine don't even know we are going yet and it is getting harder every day to keep the secret!

]Disney trips:6/2003: ASMo;11/2005: Offsite;10/2009: Offsite;11/2010: POR;11/2011 - AKL;10/2012 - BC; 10/2013 - WL/BWI; 2/2014 - FWC/Disney Cruise - Magic/CR; 4/2014 - CBR; 7/2014 Dolphin/OKW
basketlacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #139
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketlacey View Post
Great reviews so far! I love the surprise you pulled over on your kids! Mine don't even know we are going yet and it is getting harder every day to keep the secret!
Thank you for liking my reviews!

I wish we could have been more creative in how we revealed the surprise. The kids said they were happy they found out a month in advance, so they had time to be excited about it. I would have loved to have sprung it on them. Our biggest fear was that they would be DISAPPOINTED at NOT staying at ASMu and NOT eating at the food court (which also would have been new and exciting to us), so DH and I agreed to spill the beans. That way, if they were disappointed, we still had time to switch without majot commotion on a vacation day.

How exciting about your kids! How do you plan to tell them? On the day you leave?!

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Old 08-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #140
basketlacey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveeeyore

Thank you for liking my reviews!

I wish we could have been more creative in how we revealed the surprise. The kids said they were happy they found out a month in advance, so they had time to be excited about it. I would have loved to have sprung it on them. Our biggest fear was that they would be DISAPPOINTED at NOT staying at ASMu and NOT eating at the food court (which also would have been new and exciting to us), so DH and I agreed to spill the beans. That way, if they were disappointed, we still had time to switch without majot commotion on a vacation day.

How exciting about your kids! How do you plan to tell them? On the day you leave?!
We haven't decided yet. I would really like to tell them on the way to the airport but we shall see!

]Disney trips:6/2003: ASMo;11/2005: Offsite;10/2009: Offsite;11/2010: POR;11/2011 - AKL;10/2012 - BC; 10/2013 - WL/BWI; 2/2014 - FWC/Disney Cruise - Magic/CR; 4/2014 - CBR; 7/2014 Dolphin/OKW
basketlacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #141
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

I'm loving your reviews!! Surprisingly, we've never eaten at CM, not even after countless trips to WDW. LTT was always our traditional first night dinner, back when it was a character meal, and the kids always wanted to return there when they were younger. Now that we're a family of adults, and the characters are no longer at LTT, our new first night tradition is WPE, LOL!

Looking forward to the next update!

Sept/Oct 2013 Dining Report: The Incredible Expanding Women - 14 Days On The DxDP - COMPLETE!
Sept/Oct 2012 Dining Report: 14 Days of Gluttony AKA Doing Free Dining Again! COMPLETE!
My first Dining Report: It's Time To Eat Again?!? 10 days of free dining with pics! COMPLETE!

1985-2004-Many, many offsite visits; March '05-POP; Dec '06-POFQ; Aug/Sept '07-POFQ; Sept '10-POFQ; Sept/Oct '11-POFQ; Sept/Oct '12-POFQ, Sept/Oct '13-POFQ; Sept/Oct '14-POFQ; Sept/Oct '15-POFQ
MrsB1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:34 AM   #142
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Hi there! I'm finally getting caught up! I love the CM traditional first meal of the trip. I saw some pretty delicious items on your plate. I loved the kid dessert plate as well.

It is interesting seeing your dining review after following your live TR since now you are filling in all the blanks for the best part of the trip - the FOOD!!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #143
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Ready for more!!!!!
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #144
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Great start! I haven't been to CM in years and then it was only for breakfast...I will have to try it again someday.

Jill in CO
Old 08-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #145
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketlacey View Post
We haven't decided yet. I would really like to tell them on the way to the airport but we shall see!
Love this! Please let us know how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsB1228 View Post
I'm loving your reviews!! Surprisingly, we've never eaten at CM, not even after countless trips to WDW. LTT was always our traditional first night dinner, back when it was a character meal, and the kids always wanted to return there when they were younger. Now that we're a family of adults, and the characters are no longer at LTT, our new first night tradition is WPE, LOL!

Looking forward to the next update!
Thanks, and I'm so glad you like my reviews. Please stay tuned for lots more!

It's funny, I could see how the first night's dinner could really be anything, depending on sentimental values of each family. CM's just happened to be what we did on our very first night in WDW, so it was magical, and it has stayed in our hearts. If they moved it or changed it, like they changed LTT, I imagine that would be the end of it for us, too. We just tried LTT for the first time, but for lunch...reviews of that will be up in a few days, I hope!

We also love WPE! I missed it this trip! I LOVE their pizza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Hi there! I'm finally getting caught up! I love the CM traditional first meal of the trip. I saw some pretty delicious items on your plate. I loved the kid dessert plate as well.

It is interesting seeing your dining review after following your live TR since now you are filling in all the blanks for the best part of the trip - the FOOD!!
You bet, the food is the best part! I enjoy our meals most, because that is when we sit and talk and reflect on all the fun we're having. The taste of good food in a nice atmosphere is a bonus, and we always seem to find more than we expect in WDW on that front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78 View Post
Ready for more!!!!!
Stay tuned! Upcoming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Great start! I haven't been to CM in years and then it was only for breakfast...I will have to try it again someday.

Jill in CO
Do give it a try...I hope you're not disappointed!

Getting some more reviews ready, now...

Old 08-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #146
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Saturday, August, 4 - Breakfast - Kona Cafe!

This would be our first meal on the DxDP, and one of the meals we decided we would split 3 orders amongst the 4 of us. The goal was to conserve 1 credit at this and 3 other meals (so we could save a total of 4 credits and dine more times on the plan, and NOT have to pay for any meals OOP). I hope I stated that clearly!

Another benefit of splitting meals...nobody eats way too much! We all have big appetites, but except for Hercules, we are all watching our caloric intake (in general, though we pretty much ignore this rule during vacation). Hercules is a growing boy with a huge appetite, and I was worried he wouldn't get his fill at the meals we shared!

We arrived at about 7:55 for our 8:15 breakfast. We were seated right away at the same table at which we enjoyed dinner 2 years ago. The place was at least half empty! Our server was Eric and he was wonderful!

We explained to Eric that we planned to use 3 credits at this meal and share everything. I was very surprised that on the DxDP, you are only allowed one beverage with your breakfast (this is what Eric told us). You can have coffee OR juice, not both. This was a little disappointing, since Aladdin and I NEED our coffee, and Belle and Hercules both wanted juice (to tell you the truth, I also wanted coffee and juice. I'm not a juice fan, generally, but I love the specialty juice at the Disney resorts!). We decided we would pay OOP for one beverage, so we could all have a morning fix.

Belle and Hercules each ordered the (rightfully) famous Lilikoi juice:

Aladdin and I shared the pressed pot of Kona coffee (which counts as 2 beverages, so our intention was to pay OOP for one of the juices):

Eric pressing the pot:

The was delicious and adequately nurtured the addiction.

Eric brought out a plate of butter, maple syrup and strawberry compote:

For one of our food selections, we chose a Tonga Toast:

This was heavenly, and better than I remembered it. The sausage was plump and tasty and had just the right amount of grease and salt to complement the sweet cinnamon sugar on the Tonga Toast! I loved the strawberry sauce on top, but it only "needed" a little! This was the only dish that we split evenly 4 ways because we all loved it equally. Hercules and Belle didn't eat their pieces of sausage because they are not big fans of breakfast sausage. I don't think they even tasted it, so their portions went to Aladdin.

We also ordered my favorite, the Pineapple Macademia Nut Pancakes:

Mmmmmm! Aladdin and I LOVED these, we thought they were perfect! Belle and Herc loved the rich batter, but weren't crazy about all the nuts...they thought it was a little nut over-kill. They wanted soft, fluffy pancakes, and the texture of all the nuts bothered them. They would have preferred the version of the pancakes on the Big Kahuna Platter, the ones with the nuts sprinkled on top but not baked in. We didn't order a Big Kahuna, though...we had something else in mind. Herc didn't finish his full portion of these pancakes, so Aladdin got a little extra.

I hear the bacon was fine, but I didn't have any. It seemed like a large portion, for just being on the side of the pancakes. I hear from a VERY reliable source that the bacon has changed since our breakfast here. It is now thicker and better. I'm looking forward to ordering this dish again someday, with the new bacon, which I promise I will taste next time.

For our last selection, we went with the Samoan Benedict:

This was basically ramped-up eggs benedict; it has pulled pork instead of canadian bacon. It was rich and delicious and perfect in every way...except maybe it was too small! This was hard to split 4 ways because we all really wanted more. I only took one bite and let Hercules, my growing boy, enjoy the rest of my portion.

As a really sweet surprise, Eric brought out a cupcake to acknowledge one of our celebration buttons.

I didn't taste this, but it looked like the good cupcakes we received with lots of our meals 2 years ago. I'm 100% sure it was better than the cupcakes at the Contempo Cafe (yes, I know this without tasting it). This was the only acknowledgment we received the whole trip, despite that I had noted various celebrations on our ADRs.

When we received the bill, we saw that we were not charged for the 2nd juice. We pointed this out to Eric, who said, "don't worry about it." I'm not sure if this was intentional or a mistake, but truthfully, I think that when you're using dining credits on breakfast, you should get coffee AND juice, anyway.

We could have lingered in the beautiful Kona Cafe longer, but we had an appointment with Sammy Duval at 9:15 (we got rained out the afternoon before).

We enjoyed our first meal on the DxDP immensely, and give this breakfast the rating:

4/5! It might receive an even higher rating if Belle and Herc had loved the Pineapple Macademia Nut Pancakes, and if they had tasted the new bacon.

The OOP cost of this meal would have been $47.56, plus a $9.00 tip. Instead, we paid 3 meal credits, and $9.00 OOP.

Up next, snack in World Showcase!

Last edited by iloveeeyore; 08-17-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #147
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveeeyore View Post
This would be our first meal on the DxDP, and one of the meals we decided we would split 3 orders amongst the 4 of us. The goal was to conserve 1 credit at this and 3 other meals (so we could save a total of 4 credits and dine more times on the plan, and NOT have to pay for any meals OOP). I hope I stated that clearly!
We do this every trip !! With a family of four, you can get another TS and CS meal that way. Going back to read now !!
jecskc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #148
sushi candy
Foodie

Oh tell me how divine this coffee is! I really want the pressed pot coffee now! As for the Samoan, do you think it may be too much for one person portion wise?
sushi candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #149
MainStreetFireman
DIS Veteran

oh, the coffee.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi candy View Post
Oh tell me how divine this coffee is! I really want the pressed pot coffee now! As for the Samoan, do you think it may be too much for one person portion wise?
Delicious! If we had had more time, I would have ordered another pot.

In the context of the gluttony ahead of us, The Samoan was just right. But if you're looking for a filling portion, there are better quantity choices. That being said, this meal was excellent; and not because it was our first meal on the plan. It just was.

I've been BOOed by iloveeeyore
MainStreetFireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #150
jabead
DIS Veteran

Yay for Kona's Pineapple Macadamia Nut Pancakes!!! My favorite Disney World breakfast food.

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - #3
- and - APRIL 2014 REVIEW - My Solo Birthday Trip

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: