Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
meryll83
All it takes is faith and trust... Proud Strawberry Blonde Official DISbride!

Question AP Hotel Discounts - Newbie Questions

Hi All,

Whilst I've visited Universal many times, I've never stayed on site before, only at WDW, but for our next trip we're looking at 3 nights.

I've read that if you're staying 3 nights or more it's usually worth getting at least one AP for the discounts on offer, and I have a few questions about the resort discounts in particular so am seeking your advice!

Can I purchase an AP in advance from the UK?
If I want to book a room with AP discount, how do I do this?
And when purchasing an AP is it immediately active? e.g. I suppose what I really need to know is this - I want to book a room at say 11 months out, do I have to have an active AP to do this or as long as I have an active AP at check in can I book an AP rate?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated, as you'll probably tell, I'm currently clueless!!

Thanks in advance

WDW 91, 93, 03 off-site, 05 ASMo (32,000 WWTBAM) , 07 Pop & BWV (Free Dining & Engaged at Cinderella's Castle!), *09 Wedding Planning Journal* and *Trip Report* Pop, BWV, Poly & Wonder,
10 Pop, 12 Aulani Day Visit, 13 HRH, YC
(Free Dining) & Dream

DLP 05 Cheyenne, 13 Newport Bay

meryll83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
Bluer101
Waiting till vacation comes!

I'm sure you can purchase from the UK.

You can go to Loew's or Universals website to check rates. Just enter APH in the code box under your dates. If there is that rate available it will say Annual Passholder Discount. If it's not there it could be it's to early or not available at that time.

The AP is active after your first time through the gates.

You can book the room without having a AP. You just need to show it at some time during your stay. If you don't you will pay rack rate.

The best thing to do is wait to buy the AP to the last minute. This way you can keep checking to see if AP rates have come out or if another rate is better.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
meryll83

Fantastic, thanks for your help.

So I wouldn't even necessarily need it at check in, just as long as I show it at some point? (e.g. I could even buyt the AP on the day we arrive and show it later in the day after I've checked in?)

So do AP rates get released later than standard rates? If that's the case, can you book at a given rate then apply your AP discount at a later date if it turns out to be better?

WDW 91, 93, 03 off-site, 05 ASMo (32,000 WWTBAM) , 07 Pop & BWV (Free Dining & Engaged at Cinderella's Castle!), *09 Wedding Planning Journal* and *Trip Report* Pop, BWV, Poly & Wonder,
(Free Dining) & Dream

Old 05-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Koda
Mouseketeer

Yes, you can add the APH discount to an existing reversation. I had booked HRH for June with a AAA rate, and just switched to APH rate today.
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
meryll83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
Yes, you can add the APH discount to an existing reversation. I had booked HRH for June with a AAA rate, and just switched to APH rate today.
Cool, thanks - and do you need to call to do this, or can you do it online?
Does the same apply if you book say a standard rate, then a better offer comes out? Can you keep switching to the best available rate at no extra charge?

(Free Dining) & Dream

Old 05-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Bluer101

Quote:
Originally Posted by meryll83 View Post
Fantastic, thanks for your help.

So I wouldn't even necessarily need it at check in, just as long as I show it at some point? (e.g. I could even buyt the AP on the day we arrive and show it later in the day after I've checked in?)

So do AP rates get released later than standard rates? If that's the case, can you book at a given rate then apply your AP discount at a later date if it turns out to be better?
Yes, AP rates are released at a later date if released at all. There is no guarantee that there will be an AP rate released. If you find a lower rate they will book the new rate and cancel the old rate. It sounds screwy but that is how they do it.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
meryll83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer101 View Post
Yes, AP rates are released at a later date if released at all. There is no guarantee that there will be an AP rate released. If you find a lower rate they will book the new rate and cancel the old rate. It sounds screwy but that is how they do it.
Thanks - and there's no charge for this? I thought I saw something about $50 for changes and $100 for cancellations somewhere...

(Free Dining) & Dream

Old 05-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
Koda
Mouseketeer

I called today to add the APH discount to my existing reservation. There was no additional fee.
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
meryll83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
I called today to add the APH discount to my existing reservation. There was no additional fee.
Good stuff.

Will follow suggestions then and book in the meantime then keep a watch out for AP discounts nearer the time - is there any easy way to find out when these discounts are released?

Also, just for clarity again, can I apply any other discounts I might find at a later date without charge, or just the AP discount?

And one final question - when is December 2013 likely to be on sale? Looks like we're up to September 2013 at the moment...

Thanks again everyone for all your help

(Free Dining) & Dream

Old 05-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
Bluer101

The fees you are seeing I think are for Universal Vacation Packages. If you do everything separate, there is no charge. Book directly with the hotel.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:47 AM   #11
meryll83

Quote:
The fees you are seeing I think are for Universal Vacation Packages. If you do everything separate, there is no charge. Book directly with the hotel.
Ah okay, that makes sense now, I remember seeing tickets were included but I couldn't figure out how to just book the hotel only - can I only do this by phone?

(Free Dining) & Dream

Old 05-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #12
Bluer101

Quote:
Originally Posted by meryll83 View Post
Ah okay, that makes sense now, I remember seeing tickets were included but I couldn't figure out how to just book the hotel only - can I only do this by phone?
You can do it through Universals website, just click hotels. Then there is a tab on the left that says check availability. Or you can go to Loews hotel website and select your hotel. To check the AP rate enter APH in the promo box with your dates.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #13
meryll83

Quote:
You can do it through Universals website, just click hotels. Then there is a tab on the left that says check availability. Or you can go to Loews hotel website and select your hotel. To check the AP rate enter APH in the promo box with your dates.
Thanks, must have managed to get stuck in the packages section before!

(Free Dining) & Dream

Old 05-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
n2mm
aka WALTSGIRL

Once you become an AP holder and make sure they have your email address, they do send you updates and offers (well at least they do send them to us, not sure if all AP holders get them). Last summer we got a special PIN offer specially addressed to us for 50% off of Portofino (bay view) room for early August--this was not an offer offered on the passholder section of their website as we had to call an agent to check availability. I'm guessing they needed to fill rooms at Portofino, because the offer wasn't as good at the other 2 resorts. We only visit US/IOA about 3 days a year, but continue to renew our APs each year because it's still cheaper for us to keep our APs renewed (preferred passes), because of the park ticket prices and free parking, and sometimes we do stay onsite overnight with offered a good deal. Generally the only time we stay onsite is in the summer as we've found FOTL perk is really needed during summer (and most likely holidays I hear), but often visit in January/May/October and manage fine without the FOTL perk.

n2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #15
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

OP, use THIS site! It shows you all three Universal hotels at a glance. Much easier than going one by one.

From there, use the APH code to see what they have.

The fees for changing are for packages, though there's probably a time frame in there where they charge for changes. I was able to easily cancel a package without a fee, but it was months and months out. No charges during that time frame.

If you see a hotel rate you like, book it. You'll be charged a deposit. Later, if a better rate comes out, you can either call and have them change it (deposit will swap over, as far as I know), or if you don't wish to call, just book and cancel, and as far as I know, they will refund the first deposit and charge another deposit.

Don't get the AP until you know there's an AP rate, of course. If you don't have it at checkin, tell them when you'll have it, and that way they'll know.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: