Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #241
Lintasare
Holy
Hello. My name is Inigo Peeptoya...you ate my father...prepare to die
Ok fess up...who killed the riddle?
 
Lintasare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Somewhere in Middle-Earth
Posts: 5,627

Quote:
Originally Posted by WowLookAtThat View Post
My evil anthropomorphic horse is offended by that.
But...but...but...
__________________
Numerous trips as a child and adult. Next Trip: 9th Annual Food and Wine Birthday trip to POP!, CP Intern Fall Advantage 2002 Hollywood Brown Derby



Lintasare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #242
CurlyJo224
DIS Veteran
 
CurlyJo224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Polk Co, Florida
Posts: 718

But what about the GOOD anthropomorphic horses? Does this mean we'll never see Beta Ray Bill in a movie? Say it ain't so!
__________________
-- Me, -- DH, -- Stormy.

** Summer 1985 - First trip with family. Off property ** Summer 1991 - Trip with Dad. Off property ** Spring 1998 - Trip with Mom. Off property ** Halloween 2006 - Honeymoon. All-Star Movies ** Halloween 2007 - 1st Anniversary. All-Star Music ** Halloween 2008 - 2nd Anniversary. All-Star Sports ** Halloween 2009 - 3rd Anniversary. Pop Century ** Halloween 2010 - 4th Anniversary. Pop Century **Halloween 2012 - 6th Anniversary. Pop Century**July 2013 - Florida Residents!
CurlyJo224 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #243
Olawles
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1

This is a very good example of how parents and people in general get so upset over the smallest thing. As someone who was adopted from birth, I don't find this quote offensive at all, in fact I laughed raucously at it. My parents made sure to explain adoption to me as soon as they felt I was able to understand the concept. For me, that was around age 3 or 4, and I grew up knowing that I was adopted, and I didn't feel any less important than a biological son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricQelDroma View Post
I almost laughed, too; the line is well played. But the laughter stuck in my throat when all of the joke's implications crashed down on me. My daughter never got for a second that it was supposed to be a joke.

"Are people laughing because they think adopted kids are bad? Am I bad?"
There is no mention of how old the daughter is in this quote, however it doesn't seem like adoption was explained very clearly to her. It also sounds like (from the daughter's actual question) that she is very young. The movie is PG-13 (which stands for Parental Guidance under the age of 13, by the way) and I've read other posts stating that if one were to watch the movie Thor, it explains his background, and the adoption comment makes more sense. If you are unable to provide "parental guidance" to your under-13 child, then you can not possibly be upset with the movie. To get upset over this single line in the movie when it's clearly been taken somewhat out of context and heard by someone who may be too young to grasp the essence of the joke is ridiculous.

That's another point...not everyone thinks every joke is funny. But that's why they're funny, because it's something unexpected, and in some cases, offensive to whatever degree. Just because you don't think the joke is funny doesn't give you the right to alter the movie itself just to make you happy.

I understand why people would get upset over this quote, however in today's world everyone needs something to be upset at, and in some cases, something to fight just for the sake of fighting. This is a perfect example. People are too used to getting exactly what they want. It's become a part of this first-world life we enjoy. People forget that just 20 years ago, life was very different. You couldn't always get what you wanted because it simply wasn't possible, and people got used to it and dealt with it. Now, almost anything is possible, and people now are so accustomed to getting what they want, how they want it, and when they want it, that they'll fight anything or anyone that defies them.

To start a petition to change a line in a movie because it mentions adoption is ludicrous. As I mentioned, I'm adopted and I have no problem with the line at all. I think it's hilarious, even when taken out of context, because it's such a stupid reason for anything bad to exist in someone. If your child can't understand that, then it's all on you for not explaining it to them. Don't blame a movie for your own shortcomings.

EDIT: Another point I forgot to include is that Thor is obviously joking about it. If he were to sincerely suggest that Loki being adopted is the cause for his evil nature, then it would be a different story. HOWEVER, this is not the case.

Last edited by Olawles; 05-15-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Olawles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #244
Metsfan520
DIS Veteran
 
Metsfan520's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,174

All together now...."this is the thread that will not end....."
Metsfan520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #245
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!
 
Jennasis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The Triad, NC
Posts: 24,418

I dunno about anthropomorphic horses, but I certainly talk to my horses as if they're people.
__________________
Jennasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #246
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories
 
skater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olawles View Post
This is a very good example of how parents and people in general get so upset over the smallest thing. As someone who was adopted from birth, I don't find this quote offensive at all, in fact I laughed raucously at it. My parents made sure to explain adoption to me as soon as they felt I was able to understand the concept. For me, that was around age 3 or 4, and I grew up knowing that I was adopted, and I didn't feel any less important than a biological son.



There is no mention of how old the daughter is in this quote, however it doesn't seem like adoption was explained very clearly to her. It also sounds like (from the daughter's actual question) that she is very young. The movie is PG-13 (which stands for Parental Guidance under the age of 13, by the way) and I've read other posts stating that if one were to watch the movie Thor, it explains his background, and the adoption comment makes more sense. If you are unable to provide "parental guidance" to your under-13 child, then you can not possibly be upset with the movie. To get upset over this single line in the movie when it's clearly been taken somewhat out of context and heard by someone who may be too young to grasp the essence of the joke is ridiculous.

That's another point...not everyone thinks every joke is funny. But that's why they're funny, because it's something unexpected, and in some cases, offensive to whatever degree. Just because you don't think the joke is funny doesn't give you the right to alter the movie itself just to make you happy.

I understand why people would get upset over this quote, however in today's world everyone needs something to be upset at, and in some cases, something to fight just for the sake of fighting. This is a perfect example. People are too used to getting exactly what they want. It's become a part of this first-world life we enjoy. People forget that just 20 years ago, life was very different. You couldn't always get what you wanted because it simply wasn't possible, and people got used to it and dealt with it. Now, almost anything is possible, and people now are so accustomed to getting what they want, how they want it, and when they want it, that they'll fight anything or anyone that defies them.

To start a petition to change a line in a movie because it mentions adoption is ludicrous. As I mentioned, I'm adopted and I have no problem with the line at all. I think it's hilarious, even when taken out of context, because it's such a stupid reason for anything bad to exist in someone. If your child can't understand that, then it's all on you for not explaining it to them. Don't blame a movie for your own shortcomings.

EDIT: Another point I forgot to include is that Thor is obviously joking about it. If he were to sincerely suggest that Loki being adopted is the cause for his evil nature, then it would be a different story. HOWEVER, this is not the case.


Respectfully, I think you're over generalizing. I don't feel like going over why, but you can go back and read some of my previous posts for some clues. Everybody's different - shortcomings might have nothing to do with it .

I've seen the movie twice and while I didn't feel it was that bad the first time (in a almost empty theater), the second time we saw it, everybody laughed at the line and it bothered me more for some reason .
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #247
JenM
DIS Veteran
 
JenM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan520 View Post
All together now...."this is the thread that will not end....."
And now it's famous. An article about the "controversy" links to this thread:

http://www.webpronews.com/the-avenge...d-kids-2012-05
JenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #248
Lintasare
Holy
Hello. My name is Inigo Peeptoya...you ate my father...prepare to die
Ok fess up...who killed the riddle?
 
Lintasare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Somewhere in Middle-Earth
Posts: 5,627

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
And now it's famous. An article about the "controversy" links to this thread:

http://www.webpronews.com/the-avenge...d-kids-2012-05
Uh oh...looks like we may get some new posters. Now lets make them feel welcome.

I will bake cookies, can someone mix up some drinks?
__________________
Numerous trips as a child and adult. Next Trip: 9th Annual Food and Wine Birthday trip to POP!, CP Intern Fall Advantage 2002 Hollywood Brown Derby



Lintasare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #249
bunkkinsmom
No 9, so it's all good
frankly I thought they were pretty goo
 
bunkkinsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,871

I'll make the taco dip!
__________________
Nov 2014 INTERACTIVE DINING REVIEW!! http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post52307648
Jan 2014 INTERACTIVE DINING REPORT!! - COMPLETED!! http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3211959
INTERACTIVE DINING REPORT!!! Jan 2012!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2865060


Childhood Trips: Every other year from age 4-14 offsiteAdultTrip:1995 offsiteFamily Trips: November 01 Coronado Springs (pre-kids): Jan 09 OKW Jan 10 OKW : Jan 11 OKW : Jan 12 POR: Jan 14 CSR
bunkkinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #250
JenM
DIS Veteran
 
JenM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,039

Anthropomorphic pony rides for everyone!
JenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #251
Lintasare
Holy
Hello. My name is Inigo Peeptoya...you ate my father...prepare to die
Ok fess up...who killed the riddle?
 
Lintasare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Somewhere in Middle-Earth
Posts: 5,627

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
Anthropomorphic pony rides for everyone!
But are they good or evil anthropomorphic ponies?
__________________
Numerous trips as a child and adult. Next Trip: 9th Annual Food and Wine Birthday trip to POP!, CP Intern Fall Advantage 2002 Hollywood Brown Derby



Lintasare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #252
EricQelDroma
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBelle View Post
It was a line by a character. The directory didn't come on screen and say "I think anyone that is adopted is bad." Thor (the character) says the line in reference to 1 adopted kid - Loki. Why does everything think it's a blanket statement about all adoptees? If every line in every movie regarding every situation was all "happy, happy, joy, joy, sensitive flowers and rainbows", the movies would be pretty boring.
"Thor (the character)" is the only one that can lift his hammer (except for Odin and [probably, as it happens in the comics] Captain America) because he's just THAT GOOD. (You have to be worthy to lift the hammer. See Hulk's trouble in the movie.) Having Thor say that line is WAY different than having, say, Tony Stark say that line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBelle View Post
Why is no one upset that the director put a mass murder in the movie? I think that murdering 80 people is way more offensive than stating that someone is adopted.
Can you remind me where murdering 80 people is made into a joke by a genuinely good person? Mass murder jokes in the movie at all? Anyone? Oh, so it's not the same thing. Got it.
EricQelDroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #253
EricQelDroma
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMom View Post
I disagree. Not with your synopsis, but with your conclusion. The back story may have little to do with adoption and be more about inherited traits, but the JOKE was completely about adoption.

The crowd laughed because of the word...ADOPTED. It got a big laugh because most people, IMHO, are not even aware that they are guilty of buying into the stereotypes and prejudices regarding adoption and adoptees. These so pervade our culture that we take them as a given. And we should not.

(Edited by Eric just to avoid taking up too much space with a complete repost)
EMom, thanks for your insightful posts. You're so right.
EricQelDroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #254
EricQelDroma
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
Joss Whedon also makes fun of or in some way dislikes cheerleaders, vampires, sociopathic adolescent boys that wear black and blow up Combat Carl figures, evil anthropomorphic horses, hussies, jocks, nerds, fools, and virgins.
Several of the groups you mention are completely fictitious. A couple of others are based on personal choices. (You want to make fun of teachers? Comic book collectors? Please do. I choose to be those things.)

Being adopted isn't a choice. It's like being any other minority. Making fun of a whole class of people because of what they ARE as opposed to what they DO isn't cool.

And as for Joss himself, he's unwisely invoked a few negative stereotypes in the past, such as angry lesbian Willow in Buffy Season Six. While I didn't personally react to his use of that old canard, I understood why some people did, and I didn't feel the need to denigrate them for feeling that Joss had been insensitive.
EricQelDroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #255
disneyshakeygirl
DIS Veteran
 
disneyshakeygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 886

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug7856 View Post
I took my son to see The Avengers on Saturday. In one key scene, as the Avengers are assembled they review the evil committed by Loki. Thor confronts the rest of the Avengers because Loki is his brother. When the Avengers list the atrocities he has committed, Thor volunteers that ďLoki was adoptedĒ. It got quite a laugh from the audience, yet it implies that an adopted sibling is less family than biological children.

Children donít need to be told they are inferior or defective or less of a family member because they were adopted, especially from someone as trusted as the Walt Disney Company. There are 73.8 million children who are a part of families created through adoption. Itís odd that Disney would choose to send a message that adopted children are less part of a family than biological children, but in my opinion, thatís exactly what happens in The Avengers.

The movie was excellent and I donít regret taking my son to see it. I just thought we had moved beyond these stereotypes about adoption.

This is my point of view as the father of adopted children.

Did this scene bother anyone else?
This didn't bother me at all, and I've got adoption ALL over my family. I know it's a sensitive issue, but I think the scene was just for a laugh.

My cousins were both adopted, and went to see this movie. They said they laughed at that particular scene, they found it hilarious and they've gone through everything negative that could come associated with adoption.
__________________
.::Laura::.
**
PTR 2014
disneyshakeygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
adoption, avengers



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: