Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #211
bunkkinsmom
No 9, so it's all good
frankly I thought they were pretty goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
The reason the thread is flush with new first time posters is because it shows up on a google search of the buzz words of the controversy...IMO of course.

I suggest someone close the door...even my jazz hands can't stop this train wreck.
Jennasis I completely agree. Please, for the love of Pete, close the door.

Childhood Trips: Every other year from age 4-14 offsiteAdultTrip:1995 offsiteFamily Trips: November 01 Coronado Springs (pre-kids): Jan 09 OKW Jan 10 OKW : Jan 11 OKW : Jan 12 POR: Jan 14 CSR
bunkkinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #212
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Once again....Loki is NOT human and neither is Thor. They are each different creatures for lack of a better term. The comment can be taken in many ways but the use of it should be looked at in context.

I do agree that the comment wasn't necessary but I also believe that some people are taking a very narrow view and those people are on both sides of the discussion.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #213
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkkinsmom View Post
Jennasis I completely agree. Please, for the love of Pete, close the door.
I'm exiting the door. So many unknown people keep appearing and I'm afraid that it will soon become a mob scene.

Ugh.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #214
plutotek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoption Father View Post
You miss the point that the joke is not funny in that it degrades children because they are adopted. Why are they any less of a person? How can anyone laugh at something like that? Not grasping at straws here, just trying to point out crass and insensitive movie comments.
Actually, you missed the point as demonstrated by you taking a short line of dialogue out of context and twisting it into something it wasn't. You may want to review the history of the characters in both comic book lore and Norse mythology, then you might understand it better.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #215
DesertAngel28
Earning My Ears

Stop being so over sensitive!!!!

As someone who was adopted and is also a redhead I find this crap ridiculous! I don't know how many times I've cracked up at "I'll beat you like a redheaded step child!" I've also said "Thankfully I'm adopted" when my sisters had done something I wanted no connection to lol Stop being such oversensitive crybabies and get a life! Suck it up Buttercup and grow a pair!
DesertAngel28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:04 AM   #216
LuvsDragonflies
DIS Veteran

Oh, I believe there hasn't been a single, solitary point missed here.

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. ~ Abraham Lincoln
"Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith"-- Robert G. Ingersoll
LuvsDragonflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #217
metalis4ever
Bringing Metal to Disney since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutotek View Post
Actually, you missed the point as demonstrated by you taking a short line of dialogue out of context and twisting it into something it wasn't. You may want to review the history of the characters in both comic book lore and Norse mythology, then you might understand it better.
My WDW Trips:1998 -Offsite / Spring 1999 WDWCP/ 1999-All Star Movies/ 2004-Pop Century/ 2005-Offsite/ Spring 2006-Offsite/ Fall 2006-Offsite/ 2007 -Port Orleans French Quarter/ 2008 - French Quarter/ May 2009- Pop Century/Caribbean Beach / Apr-May 2010 Royal Pacific/Caribbean Beach/ Oct 2011 DL - PPH Concierge / Nov 2012 Coronado Springs Resort/ June 2013 DL Offsite

metalis4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #218
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

You know, when I get tired of a thread, I just stop going to it. That is a possibility for those who think it should be closed.

Like I've said before - everybody is different. Some will be hurt and some won't. Adoption comes in many forms. I have a child who was adopted at an early age. He's a little more sensitive for lots of reasons.

Those of you who have decided that someone shouldn't be offended - that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. We have a family member who likes to decide when someone's allowed to be upset - it doesn't really change anything. When we were very young, DH and I had a disastrous vacation - mostly because of serious tooth pain, two root canals, and some other crazy circumstances. A family member told us to get over it and be happy that we were on vacation in the first place. Well, it really didn't change how we felt, and we knew that if he was in a similar situation, he would have been just as unhappy as we were. The money we spent (very precious when first married), the disappointment we felt, the severe pain and nausea I had to deal with far from home (not to mention trying to find a Dentist) - somebody deciding that we shouldn't be upset was not only pointless, but also a little hurtful.

I have no problem with the posters who have expressed surprised at someone being upset. I have no problem with people who have stated that they are involved with adoption and it didn't bother them at all. I don't even have a problem with posters who state that writing to a movie studio won't make a difference (I think you're dead on right about that). What has bugged me are the people who have decided that its silly or even pathetic to be upset. When was the last time someone telling you that you shouldn't be upset made a positive difference in your life?
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #219
ThatOneGuy92
Earning My Ears

Talk about overprotective parents. I seriously doubt your kids did not laugh at the line. It wasn't just the joke, but the deliverance and timing that was perfect. Plus yea know, adopted people can be evil and Thor stated a factual truth. Loki is adopted and he did kill 80 people.
ThatOneGuy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #220
AnnFan
Earning My Ears

People should stop getting offended over EVERYTHING!

Either people are looking for any reason to be offended, or they are misinterpreting what is being said. When Thor makes the comment about Loki being adopted, it is not to say that Loki did all those bad things BECAUSE he is adopted. He made the commend about Loki being adopted to distance himself from Loki's evil nature and point out they are not related by blood (and are therefore not similar). I had a friend who always commented on how crazy his family was and would always say "I'm adopted" (even though he wasn't). Are those of us who are not adopted supposed to feel insulted because what my friend meant was that because his family is not adopted they are crazy, and because he is adopted, he is normal? No. Again, the adoption comment is just supposed to suggest they are not alike -- not that one is better or worse BECAUSE he was adopted or not adopted.
AnnFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #221
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Am I the only one finding all these first time posters a little...odd?
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #222
chicagodisneyfan
Peace
He looked ridiculous - but it gave me the giggles for a month

This is an awful lot of outrage!

Who has this much time to whine about adoption in movies?

Some people have lost all touch with reality.
chicagodisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #223
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodisneyfan View Post
This is an awful lot of outrage!

Who has this much time to whine about adoption in movies?

Some people have lost all touch with reality.
As I see it, there has been an equal amount of "whining" from BOTH sides. The ones who believe they are entitled to declare what should and should not offend/upset adopted people (ironically coming from a lot of people whose lives have not been touched by adoption) have been just as vocal, as your post illustrates.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #224
jenzem514
Earning My Ears

Disney, Adoption and The Avengers...

This is an offensive line. In fact, it seems to me that adoption is the one last thing people feel free to make fun of. Imagine if he had said, "Well, he's Hispanic." Or well, "he's gay." There would justifiably be outrage over it. Let's think about the children who will be seeing this -- the adopted ones will wonder what the joke is, and the kids they go to school with who know of the adoption may very well equate that with being a "bad thing." For whatever reason, that tendency to think adoption is something to be ashamed of is still there -- just the other day a girl at school said to my third grade son, "Well, at least I'm not adopted." Not saying she saw the movie, just saying that this kind of a comment in the movie reinforces a ridiculously negative stereotype that there's something wrong with being adopted. Just as there's nothing wrong with being from any race, creed or sexual orientation, there's nothing wrong with being adopted and the experience shouldn't be the butt of jokes. Disney, I'm ashamed of you and this is one movie i won't be taking my son to see. Maybe you should think of re-editing this and taking out the line.
jenzem514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #225
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenzem514 View Post
This is an offensive line. In fact, it seems to me that adoption is the one last thing people feel free to make fun of. ." There would justifiably be outrage over it. Let's think about the children who will be seeing this -- the adopted ones will wonder what the joke is, and the kids they go to school with who know of the adoption may very well equate that with being a "bad thing." For whatever reason, that tendency to think adoption is something to be ashamed of is still there -- just the other day a girl at school said to my third grade son, "Well, at least I'm not adopted." Not saying she saw the movie, just saying that this kind of a comment in the movie reinforces a ridiculously negative stereotype that there's something wrong with being adopted. Just as there's nothing wrong with being from any race, creed or sexual orientation, there's nothing wrong with being adopted and the experience shouldn't be the butt of jokes. Disney, I'm ashamed of you and this is one movie i won't be taking my son to see. Maybe you should think of re-editing this and taking out the line.
Doubt that will happen especially since it's on it's way to making a billion bucks but I do encourage you to also write a letter. (lol, I'm a big fan of letting companies know why they are not getting my dough)

But that's just it, there are tons of shows on tv that make one liners about certain groups. Heck on Modern family last week when they were in Disney land, Jay said to Gloria "Don't go all latin on me". In reference to her being Columbian and the only reason why I watch 2 broke girls is because they are an equal opportunity offender. I'm black and I love Garrett Morris character because he's always playing up the "black slick dude" stereotype and I think the episode when they go to the Jewish deli and play up every single stereotype of Hassidic Jews should win an emmy.
I suppose we can go on ad nauseum about this in every movie.

I'm not a big fan of song of the south for it's stereotypes but I've come to take it in its context. thanks to many people here on this boards that gave me opinions on the movie.

Now I empathize if some found that line offensive but I love a good comedic line and I hope I'm never so sensitive that I don't realize that some "habits" that my folks have are simply downright hysterical. Chris rocks movie "good hair" is a brillant example of this.

I went to see Avengers again this weekend, my nieces and nephews took the family as a mother's day treat. Line was still funny. truthfully most of the folks laughing were adults. My 8 year old niece definitely didn't get it. so hopefully those who found it funny are old enough to not equate a joke with some thing being "bad".

But as I've said a few pages ago, I'm the first to admit I've use that line and had that line used on me. We tell my younger sibling (49yo) all the time "you really must have been adopted". He was never offended so he says.

Last edited by eliza61; 05-14-2012 at 08:06 AM.
eliza61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adoption, avengers

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: