Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #196
doris1976
Mouseketeer

Seems there are more things in life to be concerned about. I have spoken with many adopted children over the years and many of them know they are adopted and love their parents and siblings the same as they are loved. Being adopted is not a stigma, it is a chance to live in an environment where you were chosen, not an "accident".
Old 05-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #197
harleyquinn
Wishes she could take photos of the castle as well as the photos DALE (of Chip & Dale) takes.
I wanted to regale you all with tales of my DH's saggy greyies

So saw the movie on Sunday and right after that joke, I thought to myself, "I bet there's a thread on the disboards about that."
harleyquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #198
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by doris1976 View Post
Seems there are more things in life to be concerned about. I have spoken with many adopted children over the years and many of them know they are adopted and love their parents and siblings the same as they are loved. Being adopted is not a stigma, it is a chance to live in an environment where you were chosen, not an "accident".

There are lots of things in life to be concerned about . I enjoy talking about many of them. Being adopted is not a stigma, but there are often issues to deal with.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #199
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyquinn View Post
So saw the movie on Sunday and right after that joke, I thought to myself, "I bet there's a thread on the disboards about that."
How did you know ?
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #200
epcot.girl
DIS Veteran

Adoptee here. I found the movie overall to be enjoyable but vastly overrated. The line about adoption was funny. Didn't offend me in the slightest. Didn't even occur to me that it could be construed as offensive. Thor obviously loves Loki dearly, and it is clearly just a half-hearted attempt to distance himself from Loki's lesser attributes in the heat of the argument.

epcot.girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #201
AndyBee68
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug7856 View Post
I took my son to see The Avengers on Saturday. In one key scene, as the Avengers are assembled they review the evil committed by Loki. Thor confronts the rest of the Avengers because Loki is his brother. When the Avengers list the atrocities he has committed, Thor volunteers that ďLoki was adoptedĒ. It got quite a laugh from the audience, yet it implies that an adopted sibling is less family than biological children.

Children donít need to be told they are inferior or defective or less of a family member because they were adopted, especially from someone as trusted as the Walt Disney Company. There are 73.8 million children who are a part of families created through adoption. Itís odd that Disney would choose to send a message that adopted children are less part of a family than biological children, but in my opinion, thatís exactly what happens in The Avengers.

The movie was excellent and I donít regret taking my son to see it. I just thought we had moved beyond these stereotypes about adoption.

This is my point of view as the father of adopted children.

Did this scene bother anyone else?
Not all adoptees are orphans. In fact 99% have loving parents/family who through circumstances have lost their children. To cus someone with the phrase " he's adopted" when they are doing something wrong is as hurtful & hateful as homophobia or racial slur. It is disrespectful to their parents (both sets) and leaves the person believing they are inferior.
AndyBee68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #202
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Amazing how many newbies keep popping up on this thread. Interesting...

My view is that no one is guaranteed a completely insult-free life. I truly feel bad for anyone who hates the line but I believe that it won't be changed and truthfully it shouldn't be if the moviemakers want to keep it. The freedom for them to make the movie they want is important too.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #203
Adoption Father
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBee68 View Post
Not all adoptees are orphans. In fact 99% have loving parents/family who through circumstances have lost their children. To cus someone with the phrase " he's adopted" when they are doing something wrong is as hurtful & hateful as homophobia or racial slur. It is disrespectful to their parents (both sets) and leaves the person believing they are inferior.
I agree that the comment was insulting, out of touch, crass, cruel, and that Disney and the director Joss Whedon should be ashamed of themselves. They should apologize, over and over.
Adoption Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #204
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoption Father View Post
Dear Epcot Girl, why did the movie director have to insult all adopted children and their families by minimizing their status? Why would one assume that "lesser attributes" are automatically assigned to an adopted child? Rather than a half hearted attempt to distance himself, it looks more like a half ____ attempt at cruel and crass humor at the expense of children whose status is not of their own making. Can it get any lower than that?
Whoever you are, did you read any of this thread/ Or did you just come here to nitpick comments made by people involved in this discussion?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #205
Adoption Father
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post

My view is that no one is guaranteed a completely insult-free life. I truly feel bad for anyone who hates the line but I believe that it won't be changed and truthfully it shouldn't be if the moviemakers want to keep it. The freedom for them to make the movie they want is important too.
Dear Plano, why should children be insulted whose status is not of their own making? Disney should not be excused because they have the freedom to say anything. They have diminished themselves.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #206
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoption Father View Post
Dear Epcot Girl, why did the movie director have to insult all adopted children and their families by minimizing their status? Why would one assume that "lesser attributes" are automatically assigned to an adopted child? Rather than a half hearted attempt to distance himself, it looks more like a half ____ attempt at cruel and crass humor at the expense of children whose status is not of their own making. Can it get any lower than that?
Clearly not all adopted children were offended since the poster you quoted is adopted and not offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post

I totally agree....
kwelch10377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #207
Adoption Father
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
Grasping at straws.

The discussion between the characters was about how dangerous the ASGARDIANS as a whole are, as evidenced by the atrocities of Loki. To which Thor defends the honor of the rest of Asgard by joking "he's adopted" meaning, Asgardians are not evil violent people.

You know that evil people can be adopted too right?

You miss the point that the joke is not funny in that it degrades children because they are adopted. Why are they any less of a person? How can anyone laugh at something like that? Not grasping at straws here, just trying to point out crass and insensitive movie comments.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #208
Adoption Father
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedana View Post
This.
It's one line in a movie.

It may be one line but it is at the heart of an outdated and perverse view of adopted children.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #209
Adoption Father
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
I haven't seen the movie yet (I have seen Thor though), but from how my husband and kids explained it, I think people are laughing at Thor, and the quick turnaround he made of throwing his brother under the bus - it was out of character and therefore funny. They are not laughing at Loki, whose adoption is not played as funny at all. And Thor's true feelings about Loki are shown through 2 movies.

If they were blood related I guess the line could easily have been something like "Well he takes after the other side of the family" or something and the point would still be the joke is about THOR not Loki.
But, the movie director chose not to say that he takes after the other side of the family. He chose to make a nasty and cruel comment that implied awful behaviors are done by adopted children. They should be ashamed.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #210
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

The reason the thread is flush with new first time posters is because it shows up on a google search of the buzz words of the controversy...IMO of course.

I suggest someone close the door...even my jazz hands can't stop this train wreck.

Tags
adoption, avengers

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: