Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #76
Where'sPiglet?
I'm going to try something different this month
Do I LOOK like I know what I'm doing

Ugh. I'm being the stereotypical terrible trip report writer.

Isaac DID come. He knocked out the power for a little over 3 days (I got lucky it was so short!) and the internet was out for a little longer.

They were saying reports that he was going to intensify, so we booked a hotel and were preparing to evacuate. We put things like my Disney pictures and the external hard drive (where all the photos for THIS REPORT are stored), and the trip notes into plastic bins. However, Isaac didn't intensify to a Cat3 like they said he might, so we canceled the reservation and rode it out at home.

We didn't get a lot of damage, but our living room and hall carpet got moldy so we had to pack up ALL the living room stuff in plastic bins (yeah, I have a lot of plastic bins ) and pile that on top of the bins of photos in the guest room and tear the carpet out. We've been spending time choosing what to replace it with. We are still on the sub-floor. We picked out a floor (See HERE) and pulled off the baseboards to lay it down. The process of removing the baseboards tore the paint off. We don't have the same paint to do patch work. Now we are choosing paint colors. We won't lay the floor until we paint - much easier to throw a drop cloth over JUST the couch than over the entire floor.

Then, we realized the door frame on the back porch is rotten. This is not storm damage. But we don't want to paint until we replace the door, because that would damage the new paint. Do you see where this is going? It reads like one of those annoying children's books where one thing leads to the next ...."she swallowed the spider to catch the fly..."

Finally, the other day I pulled out all the plastic bins to find the trip notes so I can get this thing back on track. I finally found the notes in the bottom of the BOTTOM BIN.

AND...I have a goal: I need to get this trip report done before my DISNEYLAND TRIP!!!!

Any more guesses on what our FIRST RIDE in the Magic Kingdom was on our first day?

1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013 ~*~ Disneyland

2010 Princess Half Marathon Trip Report
Where'sPiglet? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #77
Where'sPiglet?

ARGH!!!! I just want to scream!

I have tried to add to this trip report a few times in the last couple of weeks.

I tried to upload photos - internet service had cut out again.
I tried to upload photos - I got a migraine and had to go to sleep.
I tried to upload photos - the ladder that is on sale that was out of stock is back in stock, so I had to run out to Home Depot. (We need a ladder so we can patch a spot on the roof.)
I tried to upload photos - Webshots will not allow me to upload anything!

I get this message on their site when I went to upload:

Quote:
We are transferring our members’ photos and videos to Smile by Webshots, but you will no longer be able to upload photos into your old account or download photos from Webshots. All new activity will be on smile.webshots.com, and the Webshots site will be coming down on December 1.
I do not know how this will affect the photos I've already posted in this (and my other) trip report. I'm just about to throw in the towel and say forget it. This trip report started out good, but now it's just been an exercise in frustration and a string of excuses. Sorry. Ideas? Thoughts?

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #78
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

I finally found time to make it over here. Sorry I'm late to the party.

I'll guess that you went on the Winnie the Pooh ride.

Your TR is great and I love your Where's Piglet game. But I'm sorry to read that you're having problems with your photo repository service. Are you a paid up member there? Either way, chances are that your links to existing pictures will still work after December.

But it's about loading your new pictures up. Have you checked out the new website to see if you like the functionality they provide?

Alternatively, you could try Photobucket or Flickr or SmugMug.

Hope you work it out and keep going on this.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #79
Where'sPiglet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
I finally found time to make it over here. Sorry I'm late to the party.

I'll guess that you went on the Winnie the Pooh ride.

Your TR is great and I love your Where's Piglet game. But I'm sorry to read that you're having problems with your photo repository service. Are you a paid up member there? Either way, chances are that your links to existing pictures will still work after December.

But it's about loading your new pictures up. Have you checked out the new website to see if you like the functionality they provide?

Alternatively, you could try Photobucket or Flickr or SmugMug.

Hope you work it out and keep going on this.

It's okay you're late to the party; the party had a rain delay.

Thank you for the compliments. I am enjoying writing this trip report and reliving my trip! I've decided to keep going and I will be going with SmugMug.

I am a paid member of Webshots - it does not matter. They say we can cancel our memberships at anytime, but not right now, because they cannot process cancellations during the transition. I hope they do not charge me the annual fee since it's on recurring billing.

There are a lot of very angry members of Webshots. Their new version of their site is very different from their current version. It does not offer the same functionality as the current site, and they actually state on their blog, "If you like existing older style photo sharing services, we encourage you to try out Flickr or SmugMug." They are marketing this exciting new thing as the cutting edge in photo sharing, yet they are abandoning their loyal members in the process.

People are also upset about the process. They would email me a weekly stats email about my albums, yet I did not receive any emails about this "exciting new change!" They are purging all the photos on December 1! You'd think that would get mentioned in an email!

The thing that makes me think all my photos will not exist as embedded links as of December 1 is from their Q/A page:
Quote:
Your photos won’t be accessible publicly in the way they once were. All photos will be removed by December 1. Until then, you may use message boards and you may search, browse and view images, but you won’t be able to upload or download images. We are no longer supporting the old Webshots service as we move to the new system.
Quote:
Can I still share my photos publicly?

The landscape of photo sharing has changed dramatically in the age of Facebook. Smile by Webshots is no longer a traditional public photo sharing site; it is a platform that pulls together your photos from multiple places and services for you to easily share. Smile gathers your photos from all the different places you keep them and stores them securely in the cloud where you can then share as many or as few as you want. If you are only interested in sharing publicly, there are a number of great services to check out: Instagram, SmugMug, Flickr, 500px to name a few.
And the new website sounds like it just pulls photos from your computer if you have their thing downloaded, versus you selecting which photos to upload. I also have been unable to create albums, captions, titles, anything....on their new program. I'm trying to delete all the photos, but it gets so sluggish when you try to do that. It's all just very frustrating.

http://smile.webshots.com/landing?sort=newest&vhost=www

Anyways....I am finding I really like SmugMug! You can change the backgrounds and they offer you links to many different sizes of the photo. It just seems more dynamic and current than what I had on Webshots. I'm excited to spend some time exploring SmugMug. Right now I'm on a free 2-week trial, but I plan to subscribe. It's $40/year, so that's only $3.33/month....not bad for unlimited storage in albums that I can share!

Old 10-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #80
Where'sPiglet?

Where's Piglet? 6

We did indeed move from Pop Century over to Port Orleans Riverside! Here's a wider angle of Piglet in our newly-renovated room!

Old 10-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #81
Where'sPiglet?

When I last left off (at the beginning of August ), I had eaten my Pop waffle for breakfast and then we had pulled out of the resort at 7:30am. We had an ambitious goal of packing up, leaving one resort, driving to another, checking in, and taking Disney transit to make rope drop at the Magic Kingdom.

I have to hear the song. You know the one. Good morning, good MORning! It's great to stay up late! Good morning, good MORning to YOU! and you and you and you....

So anyways, I am SO EXCITED and I just want to get to the parks! We made sure to use Google maps on my iPhone this time so we could go the shortest route and not take the Grand Tour of WDW roads at 35 miles per hour. We hit every red light possible, but then we saw the sign for Riverside and we thought we were home clear!

NOT!

Leave it to me to get stuck behind the street sweeper!

Since we didn't yet have our room keys, we had to speak to the guard and we couldn't use the automated gate in the other lane.

We made it into the parking lot, found a nice spot, and went inside. The whole atmosphere of this resort is so much more relaxing than Pop. I like Pop for what it is, but I FAR prefer the moderates, and I do believe I have found a new favorite resort!

The theme throughout all of Walt Disney World has been "Let the Memories Begin!" I really liked this theme, and I definitely needed a photo of the sign as we entered the resort!

The lobby was under renovation while we were there, and you can see they are in various stages of painting. I never actually saw them doing any work, but I did see progress throughout the week, so the workers must be nocturnal.

I had requested a mansion room, and I was hoping for a room in Magnolia Terrace because I think the location is a little closer to the pool and food court. At check in, the room was not ready but we were told that we would have a room on the 2nd floor in Magnolia Terrace.

Here is a link to a map of the resort. This website is run by the same DIS member who does the POR info/FAQ thread on the resort board. The thread and his website provided me with a LOT of information, and the photos helped to get me so excited to stay at Riverside! (Thank you!)

Since our room wasn't ready, we left the stuff in the car and went to the bus stop. We caught the bus at about 8:15. We actually made it to the morning show!! Just thinking about it now has the song stuck in my head....Casey Junior's comin' round the track...time for lemonade and Cracker Jack, Casey Junior's back, Casey Junior's back!....

I am trying to upload a video of the morning show. I don't know why (well I do know...I'm bad at filming), but the video makes it look like Florida had an earthquake during the morning show. I'll post the link if/when the thing ever finishes uploading.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #82
PrincessInOz
in

And so this TR transmission resumes......and WHAT a resumation (is that even a word??).

I love POR. It was the first on-site resort I stayed at and you know how it is....that first time is always a sentimental memory.

I know it's big; but I love that it's green and spacious and it just feels so restful.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 10-21-2012, 12:28 AM   #83
Where'sPiglet?

Quote:
And so this TR transmission resumes......and WHAT a resumation (is that even a word??).

I love POR. It was the first on-site resort I stayed at and you know how it is....that first time is always a sentimental memory.

I know it's big; but I love that it's green and spacious and it just feels so restful.
Thanks!

The first time....

My first resort was Yacht Club. We had a water view; I believe we looked out at that lighthouse. You can tell by my signature when my dad stopped paying for the resorts and when I started becoming responsible for that kind of thing.

I do really like the Yacht Club, but the prices have becoming increasingly outrageous over the years!

I agree with your feelings about POR. It really does have fantastic landscaping. The resort is huge...not large enough to explain taking an hour to get cocoa in the mornings....I blame that on the relaxing, meandering pathways! The restful feeling is the best. It was especially noticeable coming directly from the over-stimulation extravaganza that Disney aptly named Everything Pop!

Old 10-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #84
Where'sPiglet?

Where's Piglet? 7

Where did we go for lunch on our first park day?

Old 10-21-2012, 12:42 AM   #85
PrincessInOz
in

That really looks like Neptune's fountain at Epcot.

Did you eat at Via Napoli???

Old 11-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #86
Where'sPiglet?

Quote:
That really looks like Neptune's fountain at Epcot.

Did you eat at Via Napoli???
It is and we did!

Old 12-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #87
Where'sPiglet?

So when Webshots shut down, it took down all my photo links with it. I'm working on uploading the photos again and changing out the links. It's slow going - almost as slow as doing the posts the first time.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:46 AM   #88
PrincessInOz
in

We'll probably still be here waiting for you when you're ready..

Old 01-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #89
Where'sPiglet?

When I left off, we had gotten on the bus at 8:15am at Riverside. We made it to the Magic Kingdom in time to see the morning show. Actually, we got there with a few minutes to spare and we got to see them doing the final preparations before opening the park.

I enjoyed looking at the details that Disney includes.

Almost time!

Finally, it begins! I just love this show! I haven't seen rope drop at all the parks yet, but I really try to catch the Magic Kingdom morning show at least once a trip.

Here is the video I took of the morning show. I mentioned earlier that it seemed like I took it during an earthquake because it was so shaky. Well, it was my first video I've ever uploaded to YouTube, and what luck! YouTube fixes the shakiness for you!

CLICK ME for the Morning Show!

They introduced the Family of the Day....and Mickey's "Very Sleepy" look :

Finally, I got a photo of Mickey without him looking like he needed a nap.

We joined the herd on the walk down Main Street. We got our first glimpse of the castle from around that giant box they had built around the Main Street Bakery. I'm glad that was a temporary thing, because it was a rather large obstruction.

We made our way to Tomorrowland to our FIRST RIDE of the trip:

Yes, you saw that correctly! We went on Astro Orbiter first! Honestly, I love this ride. I love feeling the wind in my face, I find the ride vehicles to be relatively comfortable (they're sort of like sitting in a bathtub), and the view is great! The major downside to this ride is that it's very slow-loading. The best time to ride it really is first thing in the morning....so that's what we did...and none of you guessed Astro Orbiter!

Here's a view from the ride....it's not quite so crooked in real life.

After we got off the Astro Orbiter, we stayed in Tomorrowland for a little bit. What ride do you think we went on next?

Old 01-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #90
PrincessInOz
in

Nice to see you back updating and what an update it is. Love the pictures of the opening and also that you went on Astroblasters first!

With the clue of the Robo Newz vendor, I'll guess you went on the Peoplemover next.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: