Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #61
natebenma
DIS Veteran

I love Zach's picture series at the Poly. It is so interesting to see what kids want to photograph.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #62
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Day 2 - First park day

Day Two – Friday, 4/20

The strangest thing happened during the night. The power went out. Right at 3am. And came back on right at 4am. All of us (except Zach) woke up each time but fortunately we got right back to sleep. At first we thought Tim did something. He got up to go to the bathroom at 3:00 and just as he flipped a light switch, the power went out. We thought our rain machine & clock must have been tied to that switch – but it was not the case. Alex woke me up around 6:30 (I was sleeping with him that night). I got him settled and went down to the lobby to get coffee. The lounge didn’t open until 7am. They put coffee outside the doors at 6:30 but not hot water. I like to make my own chocolate coffee so I needed hot water. I had bought a refillable mug the day before (just because I love using them at home) so I took it down to the Marketplace, got my water and headed back up.

At 7:00 I went to the lounge & grabbed a bunch of breakfast food for everyone. (Alex ate the dry Cheerios we bought through Garden Grocer.)

I ran into Doreen & her family again in the lounge. I mentioned the power going out and a bunch of people chimed in about how it happened to them too. So apparently it was the whole resort, or at least the whole floor. We all got ready as we ate. I also reviewed Alex’s rules with him. He’d been a bit “off” the day before but it was to be expected with a day full of unexpected travel!

We made our way to the boat dock around 8:15 (I think) and waited a few minutes for a boat to take us over to DHS.

We made one stop at the Swan/Dolphin before DHS. We arrived at DHS just after they opened the turnstiles. We were heading through the turnstiles at 8:50 and went straight to Jedi Training sign up. Zach decided he did not want to do it. He thought he’d be embarrassed. Alex was all for it & since he’s 11 we knew we had to do it this year or next. We got there and the line was already kind of long. Tim took Zach to wait outside. Zach took a bunch of pictures while they waited. (I’ll post later) We were hoping to get one of the first two classes but it took us almost a half hour to get through the line & by the time we got to the front, they were signing up for the 2:20 class. Luckily they had one spot left for the 1:30 so we were able to take that. We didn’t get the early classes but we also didn’t have to worry about a conflict with our lunch ADR so it worked out well.

After making it through Jedi Training sign ups (now about 9:15), we rode Star Tours.

After Star Tours, we headed over to Sunset Blvd. for RnRC, Tower of Terror and a second ride on RnRC.

But first, it looks like we stopped for a morning treat – a popsicle for Alex & a Mickey bar for Zach!

Both boys wanted to skip the video at the beginning of ToT so we were sent through the library after the video finished. I tried to take pictures on ToT this time:

Zach started doing this funny thing with his arms on this trip… he calls it “Kermit Hands” and you will see them on pretty much any of the redneck ride photos I took. He would raise his arms in the air and wave them around like Kermit the Frog. Here is the first from RnRC.

After RnRC & ToT, we split up. We only had time for one more thing so Tim took Alex to Toy Story Mania while Zach & I went to a drawing class at the Animation Studio. Luckily we arrived a few minutes before the 11:00 class because we had an 11:30 ADR at 50s Prime Time. We had just enough time for the 20 minute class (which ran almost 5 minutes late). Zach was disappointed that we were drawing Dopey. It was a fun picture for me to draw & I liked the fun facts the CM shared with us. Did you know that the role of the Sorcerer’s Apprentice was originally written for Dopey. At the time, Donald Duck was overtaking Mickey in popularity so Walt decided to give Mickey the starring role. I’d say it helped his popularity improve!

Continued next post...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #63
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Day 2 - First park day

Continued...

After our class, we quickly made our way to 50s Prime Time, met up with Tim & Alex, checked in & were quickly called to be seated! Yay! In November, we had a painfully long wait so it was nice to barely wait at all! We had a very nice meal. I got the usual – Pot Roast, but I also got the wedge salad this time. I find it really important to eat my veggies whenever possible on vacation. Tim got the friend chicken. Zach got the kids hot dog meal & Alex got the kids grilled chicken meal. He actually asked for seconds! Our “mom” brought him out a second plate for $3! What a deal! We got a brownie sundae to share for dessert. The kids also got the sundaes that came with their meals but enjoyed a few bites of our brownie too. While we ate, we decided that Tim would take Zach to see the 12:45 Indiana Jones show while I took Alex to check in at Jedi Training at 1:00. Tim & Zach left the restaurant while I paid so they could make the show. After paying, we had a little time, so Alex & I went on Star Tours. Then we headed over to check in for Jedi Training. You check in at the Sounds Dangerous area where we signed up. They do a little trivia game with the kids all sitting in a circle before the show.

Then it was time for the show! Around 1:20-1:25, they took the kids over to the Star Tours stage & got them dressed for the class. Tim & Zach showed up just after we got there. I took pictures but the photopass pictures are better so I’ll post those. The star of the show was really funny. He added in a lot of humor for the adults. When Alex got on stage, the sun was really bothering him & he couldn’t keep his hands away from his eyes. The teacher (I forget what Jedi guy he’s supposed to be), said something funny about it and asked if he had a parental unit in the audience who might have something to help him. I found his hat before his glasses so that’s what he got. This is why the first picture is without the hat & the later pictures are with the hat!

After Jedi Training, we decided to head out. We had accomplished most of the things on our list, with the exception of Muppet Vision 3D & The Great Movie Ride so those would be priorities on our second DHS day, which was over a week away. It looks like we grabbed another popsicle for Alex on the way out. Zach got a slushie at Peevy’s Polar Pipeline. We made one stop for PP pictures on the way out. Tim & I had the boys’ popsicles/ice creams behind our backs!

Continued...
Old 05-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #64
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Day 2 - First park day

Continued...

By 2:10 we were on a boat headed back to the Beach Club.

Reflection in the glass:

The weather had held off in the morning so we had hoped to get some swim time before our night at Magic Kingdom. We quickly got changed and headed down to the pool, just in time for it to close! There was a thunderstorm in the area! The boys (especially Alex) were not happy! We turned around & went back upstairs. (We never made it to the pool that day.) We just spend some time relaxing in the room & enjoying some snacks from the lounge. The kids were getting antsy & we weren’t sure what we wanted to do that evening since it was still raining. Tim & I went in the hallways to have a parents meeting & weigh our options. We basically decided we might as well still go to MK but we didn’t tell the boys yet. When we got back in the room, the boys went out on the balcony to have a kids meeting. Then they came back in and told us to lay down and they wanted to give us massages. It was so funny!

Up next: Do we make it to MK?
Old 05-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #66
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Wow..on the bumps and bruises!! I can definitely understand the title of your report now. Oww..

Zack did a great job taking pictures at the Poly!!

Sounds like it was a successful morning at DHS!! You got a lot accomplished! I can't wait to try the Animation class! Your drawings of Dopey turned out really cute!

Great pictures of Alex at the Jedi training! Looks like he had a lot of fun!

Aww...the boat ride back to the BC looks so relaxing. But, sorry about the pool being closed. Looking forward to hearing if you made it to MK.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #67
vicki's mom
Earning My Ears

I'm following along.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #68
Lovemy3babes
Is always in need to get herself and her children back to our "Happy Place"!

What a fun day at DHS! The photo of you and Tim kissing behind the boys is so cute!

And how funny the boys wanted to give you massages!

Just me and my girl…a very special 13th Birthday trip!
(updated 2/20/14)
Old 05-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #69
MEK
DIS Veteran

Great update!

All the pictures of the boys are SO good. I also love when kids try to impress us with their made photography skills. I think the croc picture is my favorite.

And the Jedi training pics are superb! You really had a great HS day. So sorry the thunderstorm ruined your pool plans. That is so frustrating. I wonder how many times that will happen to use in June!

Is the Jedi training everyday? It's not just on the weekends, is it? My nephews will only be at HS midweek. I think they would really enjoy that but it sounds like you have to get there REALLY early to sign up.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 05-15-2012, 04:49 AM   #70
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
When we got back in the room, the boys went out on the balcony to have a kids meeting. Then they came back in and told us to lay down and they wanted to give us massages. It was so funny!

What a nice outcome of the balcony meeting!

The Star Wars pictures were fun!

Hooray for a budding photographer!
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #71
disneyfan61
DIS Veteran

Good job Zach with the picture taking.

Yeah when the power went out I woke up right away because our fan stopped. I called down & they told me it was the whole resort but should not be long. I had forgotten about that until you mentioned it.

It looks like Alex had a good time with the Jedi training.

Love that boat ride back to the BC!!
Old 05-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #72
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

I can't believe how long sign ups for Jedi took in the am...ouch

You did a really good dopey!

Old 05-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #73
natebenma
DIS Veteran

What a really great morning at DHS!

So glad your son got to do the Jedi training. The pictures are incredible!!!

When my son did the Jedi Academy in 2008, I was back at the resort with my older son who was not feeling well. So I missed it! My husband took a few pictures, and one picture of Ben with all the characters when they invited him backstage (it was year of a Million Dreams). If there were photopass pictures, my husband didn't get them and I didn't know to ask.

Bummer about the pool closing. Been there!!!

So I hope you don't mind me asking a question about the lounge. I thought it was open 24 hours for drinks, and only closed down occasionally for meal prep. Could you, or Doreen, share what you experienced about the accessibility of the lounge offerings??? Thanks!
Old 05-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #74
mousescrapper
DIS Veteran

Caught up again Amy

Your bumps and bruises remind me of myself, I'm constantly walking into tables, banging my arms on something....my legs are littered w/ them

And the teenage groups.... that's how I will feel come late Saturday night after chaperoning 6 12-13 girls all day at our Great America for Music in the Parks day for Bekah's school orchestra...wish me luck

Sounds like you had a full and successful DHS morning, love all the PP pixs of Alex doing the Jedi Training.

Sorry about the rain wrecking the pool again...wondering how your night will turn out and too. Ute w/ the parent/kid meetings

J~
Old 05-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #75
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I've been having such a hard time catching up now that I'm working full time.
I was so spoiled for a while I forgot what working, being the taxi for baseball, hockey, and karate,and cooking and cleaning the house was like. I don't know how I did it all before!!
Looks like you had a great DHS day. I wish they had the Jedi training when my oldest DS was into SW. He would have loved that! The pics are awesome.
Darn thunderstorms!!
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: