Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
lovesLilo
Earning My Ears

Any Parents With Disabilities?

Hi I'm just wondering if there are any parents with disabilities out there?
I was just thinking it would be great to connect with others in similar situations.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
ammag
DIS Veteran

I am!
ammag is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
eternaldisneyfan
Have an Attitude of Gratitude!
*sadly, no emoticons because my pix max out the limit-my words will have to stand alone*

my mom is-with a milder manifestation of Muscular Dystrophy than my sister and I.

Boo'd!! Frosted , Snowed , Ho ho'd Tree'd!
"Everything in life is a choice. Even if the only choice we have is the attitude with which we embrace each moment." Mattie Stepanek
eternaldisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
carrie6466
DIS Veteran

I have a few things going on, unfortunately.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
Buckimion
Purple Heart Park Commando

Empty-nester, but DD used to fight with DW to push my wheelchair.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:20 AM   #6
lovesLilo
Earning My Ears

Glad to hear I'm not the only one out there. Thus far, I've thankfully been able to independently care for my son. However, I'm anxious because I know there will come a day in which my disability limits how much I can care for him due to him getting bigger, more mobile etc. Any tips for dealing with that challenge of parenting?
Old 07-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
ammag
DIS Veteran

hi again...Ive looked online for resources/ message boards for disabled parents, havent ever found one, do you know of any? I am 35, i have aa DD5 and DS11m. I have ME/CFS/CFIDS...lol too many names. chronic fatigue syndrome I guess is the recognized but least descriptive name. also fibromyalgia and some arthritis. Ive been a hot mess of flares and low NK cells lately so everything is hard/...am starting to worry about our WDW trip in october. is anyone nervous about handling a trip? any tips? I am able to care for the kids about 75% of the time now so I shouldnt need wheelchair etc. we will see. Ive worked SO hard for this trip and it means so much to me that if I couldnt enjoy it or the kids couldnt do thigns because of me I will lose it

One good thing about growing up with a disabled parent? Your kid learns to play on thier own and be more imaginative. DD knows fi I am doing really badly she and i can watch a movie, or she can play while I rest...coming up with inventive things to do on the couch/bed or on her own. legos, anything to build or create as well as little animal and people figurines are great for this. art too! kids also learn to be more empathetic
ammag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
lovesLilo
Earning My Ears

Hi, I am 24 and use a manual wheelchair due to a TBI in my early teens. Unfortunately I haven't found any forums, or really much of any support out there for parents with disabilities, online or in person. That's why I posted here.
I'm sorry you're stressing over your upcoming trip. DFi and I will also be going to WDW in October. It is my first-ever trip to WDW and his first as an adult. I'm a bit nervous but mostly excited. I hope going once for an adult only trip will be helpful for strategizing in a few years when DS (6 months) will be old enough to enjoy WDW. Thank you to everyone for the replies and support.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
teachtlb
Earning My Ears

Yep!

Hi! I am a single mother to my DD who is 5. I am in a wheelchair and will be taking her to Disney in August. We are both so excited since it will be her first trip and my first trip in 15 years. The best part about Disney is that they are so accommodating to all types of disabilities. So many rides at different amusement parks are just not okay with a wheelchair but Disney is so the opposite. If you have any questions about your disability and Disney, let me know and I can try to find out the answer when I am there.
teachtlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachtlb View Post
Hi! I am a single mother to my DD who is 5. I am in a wheelchair and will be taking her to Disney in August. We are both so excited since it will be her first trip and my first trip in 15 years. The best part about Disney is that they are so accommodating to all types of disabilities. So many rides at different amusement parks are just not okay with a wheelchair but Disney is so the opposite. If you have any questions about your disability and Disney, let me know and I can try to find out the answer when I am there.
I just wanted to say welcome to the DIS!

I hope you guys have a great time on your trip!
maroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
mommyof3princess27
What we've got here is failure to communicate

I am! Though looking at me you cant see them. So some ppl think I am making it up but it isnt fun let me tell you.Its good that there are more ppl that may not have the same thing I have but know how I feel

Erin , DH and DD13 (KC) DD9(Court) and DD5(Moo) plus 2 and 1 chiweenie
Oct 2010 Poly CL 40% code Dec 2011 POR w/ FDing Nov 2012 POR RGR w/DxDP
mommyof3princess27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
littlemamma
Earning My Ears

I personally do not have a disability, but my DH is vision and hearing impaired due to Usher's syndrome. The hearing isn't quite as much of an issue, but the vision is difficult because he has little vision at night or in the dark, and has lost his peripheral vision...making it almost tunnel like to some degree. The two time I've been to WDW with him have definitely been new learning experiences for me.

Mama - DH - DD(7) - DS (6)
DCL (Fantasy): '13. '15.
WDW: '87. '88. '90. '91. '94. '97. '98x2. '02. '03. '05. '11.
Traveling with a Dairy + Peanut free DS and a Visually + Hearing impaired DH.

littlemamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #13
BillSears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesLilo View Post
Glad to hear I'm not the only one out there. Thus far, I've thankfully been able to independently care for my son. However, I'm anxious because I know there will come a day in which my disability limits how much I can care for him due to him getting bigger, more mobile etc. Any tips for dealing with that challenge of parenting?
Learn how to give them "The Look". I realize it depends on the child but my daughter never ran from me. We played around but when it was time to be serious we didn't have any arguments.

As a wheelchair user I found overalls to be a lot of help. I could reach over and grab the back of the overalls with one hand and lift my DD right up into my lap. It's great for crawling babies.
CR-77, Travelodge(DTD)-81, Poly-92, SOG-96, Offsite-97, ASMu-98, POR-03, Vistana Resort-04, WL-Sept 2006! CSR-December 2006, Pop-May 2007(first solo trip!), CSR-Sept 2007(Solo trip), and offsite-May-2008 visited Universal, SeaWorld, KSC and a couple of days at WDW. WL-March 2009 I turned 50 in WDW! May-10 Pop, Oct 2010- Pop for first F&W, Dec 2010-Pop for Christmas stuff, May 2011-POFQ. Currently no trip and it's killing me. Trip report from 1997:http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/trip....97/sears97.htm
BillSears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #14
lovesLilo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSears View Post
Learn how to give them "The Look". I realize it depends on the child but my daughter never ran from me. We played around but when it was time to be serious we didn't have any arguments.

As a wheelchair user I found overalls to be a lot of help. I could reach over and grab the back of the overalls with one hand and lift my DD right up into my lap. It's great for crawling babies.
Thanks! Both of those are super helpful. Little man is crawling now
Old 09-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #15
HonnyDipp
DIS Veteran

ME!!!! I have polymyositis. It took away my ability to walk at age 29. I'm 35 now. In remission and currently learning how to walk again!

Aug. 2003 Off Property; Nov. 14-20, 2008-Port Orleans Riverside; Sept. 2012 Free Dining @ Art of Animation
HonnyDipp is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: