Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #46
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9200 View Post
Thanks. I read somewhere that letting DVC points expire is a felony in Florida punishable by 5 years of hard time in the State Penitentiary. .
Universal Studios?
Old 05-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #47
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Wow, I read this the other day and apparently I forgot to post a reply.

Quote:
The room was clean and everything worked.
Well, that's a good start.

Quote:
Went over to Norway look into the shops (And no not to check out the Norwegian female CMs).
Yeah, right.

Quote:
So went back to the group that was huddled in one corner outside the bar. First real meet with a larger group of Disney Geeks. There were many kindred soles there and it was fun getting to know some of them. Len must had bought 20-30 shots for the group. Needless to say, many of us were feeling little pain as time wore on. Even though I only finished half of my margarita.
I'm jealous of you... I really would have loved to have been able to attend that event.

Quote:
Was going to stop at Sunshine Seasons but instead stumbled back to the bus to Pop. Was a bit hungry so got a roast beef and blue cheese sandwich to take back to the room. Also got a couple of batteries.
That food court is my favorite thing about POP. They've got just about anything you could want, and most of it is pretty good.

Quote:
So travel day and the first night at the World was in the books. A good day all around. Upgraded to first, the room was ready at check in, and the meet was fun.
Great first day.
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #48
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Universal Studios?
Hey now, I enjoy Universal. It's no Disney, but it is still a lot of fun!
Old 05-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #49
jekjones1558
Always happy at Disney

Quote:
First and probably only trip to Hawaii. Can't wait. Any recommendations on dining would be appreciated.
We liked this one, not too far out of Kona (but you will need a car):
http://www.jackiereys.com/

In downtown Kona (you can walk), we had 2 surprisingly good meals here--and the view is terrific, prices reasonable:
http://www.fishhopper.com/kona/
Old 05-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #50
bzzelady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Universal Studios?

No...They chain you in the front seat of one of the boats in IASW and don't let you off for an entire day=5 years of hard time in the State Penitentiary

Quote:
We interrupt this trip report to announce that one month from today I will be waking up at the Royal Kona Resort in Kona, Hawaii. Just booked our helicopter tour of the volcanos and waterfalls of the Big Island. A few days diving at Kona then a week at Aluani. Can't wait.
Very nice! One always has to have one trip in planning while the trip report is being written!

I'm saving this one on the bucket list to take my DM along-my DF has ALS and is failing fast-I decided Aulani would be a good place to start healing as they had never been to Hawaii before.

Me DH DD14 DM

Last edited by bzzelady; 05-25-2012 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Learning to comment on multiple posts...saving space on the servers :)
bzzelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #51
cj9200
DIS Dad #412
Double Dog Dare You to post a screaming like a little girl video

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
How awesome! I love Kona, but it's been so long since I've been there I'm sure all the restaurants have changed. Now when you get to the VGC, there I can help you out with!
I will take you up on your offer.

Quote:
Universal Studios?
Like Andy, I enjoy Universal. Maybe Legoland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Yeah, right.
Well maybe when I was in college about a century ago.

Quote:
I'm jealous of you... I really would have loved to have been able to attend that event.
It was pretty cool. Don't know what Testa spent but it was a few bucks. A bunch of Disney Uber-Geeks hanging out. Funny thing was I fit in. Wonder why?

Quote:
That food court is my favorite thing about POP. They've got just about anything you could want, and most of it is pretty good.
Agree. That sandwich was killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekjones1558 View Post
We liked this one, not too far out of Kona (but you will need a car):
http://www.jackiereys.com/

In downtown Kona (you can walk), we had 2 surprisingly good meals here--and the view is terrific, prices reasonable:
http://www.fishhopper.com/kona/
Thanks for the tips. Like the Fishhopper place. Won't have a car at Kona am sure we can get a cab if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzelady View Post
No...They chain you in the front seat of one of the boats in IASW and don't let you off for an entire day=5 years of hard time in the State Penitentiary
Oh the Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzelady View Post
Very nice! One always has to have one trip in planning while the trip report is being written!

I'm saving this one on the bucket list to take my DM along-my DF has ALS and is failing fast-I decided Aulani would be a good place to start healing as they had never been to Hawaii before.
Need to end this TR soon. Actually have a pre-pre TR running on Hawaii and this one going at the same time on the boards.

DD's mom fought something similar. Thoughts to you and your family. We found WDW was a good healing place. Hawaii should be even better. It is going to be tough when DD graduates next week. One of the reasons for this trip.
cj9200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #52
ajf1007
DIS Veteran

Oh yeah! Another trip report!! I'm so in,
ajf1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #53
cj9200
DIS Dad #412

Day 2: Checking into AKV AKA The bus trip from hell

Lazy morning. Still woke up about 6:00 am but laid in the bed watching the news. Wish I could sleep later but it just doesn’t happen. The plan today was to stay at Pop until just before 11:00 and take the bus to AKL. Put the “Do Not Disturb” sign in the door. Well, I would have if the room had one.

Walked around the resort a bit to get a few pictures.

The Computer Pool

Where is Jessica? You know she is not bad, she is just drawn that way.

My view from the elevator

So after the walk around, I took a shower and packed the bags. Let Mousekeeping know I was checking out and headed to the bus stop. And guess what? I got lost again. Ended up walking all the way around the parking lot to get to the bus stop. I don’t know what it is. I could blame senility but it is still a early yet for that. And I do not need comments on either of those from the peanut gallery.

So get to the bus and I pick the Downtown Disney one. Why, because there is not many people in line. The bus comes after a while and I board and take a seat. As we are driving I realize the error of my ways. I am going to the furthest point on Disney property from the AKL. Plus we have to stop at Typhoon Lagoon. (No one got off or got on at this stop naturally)

We continue the drive and are stopped at practically every stop light. Why? Because our driver thinks it is prudent to go 5 MPH. Maybe a slight exaggeration but not by much. Finally pull into the Marketplace.

Proving that god sometimes smiles on fools, as I was getting off, the AKL bus was just pulling in. YES! But then we had to go to the West End stop. After waiting a few minutes there, it was off to.... Blizzard Beach. (Again no one got on or off) Finally we pull into Jambo House. Since I am staying at Kidani, I stay on the bus while people load on and off. At last we pull into the entrance to Kidani. Hallelujah!

Stroll into the lobby with a big smile on my face. A couple of people ahead of me at check in and I patiently wait for my turn. Gave my name, ID and credit card to the CM. A few taps on the keyboard and he smiles at me and tells me he has good news and bad news. I figured the bad news was my room wasn’t ready. NOPE.

The bad news was I was at the wrong resort. I am at Jambo, not Kidani. OK, forgot when I was leaving on vacation and now I am at the wrong resort. Maybe senility is sinking in. (Again, no comments needed) In my defense, Kidani has by far most of the DVC rooms so it made sense I was staying there. I also used to be an uber-planner. Reservations printed out in triplicate, ADRs planned 180 days out along with the park invasion scenarios made day by day. Gave that up a while ago. Hey, I am a WDW veteran. Maybe need to rethink that. I do guarantee you though that the Hawaii and California trip is well planned and important things are documented.

The good news was that he could check me in and I would only have to take the shuttle back to Jambo. Oh, and the room wasn’t ready. So get the paperwork and head out to Jambo. The van that shuttles back and forth from the resorts took about 15 minutes. Pull up to my resort. A very nice greeter is there asking if I was checking in. Told her no, already done. Did not tell her it was done at Kidani and I am staying here. Drop my bag off at Bell Services.

It was well after noon so decided to get something to eat. Headed to Mara, one of the best food courts in all of WDW. Ordered the double cheeseburger with fries. Also as you can see, I got the mug.

Figured since I did not have a car, and no snacks pre packed, thought it would be a better deal. And easier. Ate outside and the meal was OK. The sandwich at Pop was way better. Still waiting for the text to tell me my room was ready so headed to the pool. Bellied up to the bar pool and met two terrific CM’s Laura and Kim.

Since I am the shy, retiring type it took me a while to warm up to them. Kim is expecting a baby soon and Laura is a DVC member and avid traveler. We started talking and somehow the Hawaii/California trip came up. They let me know that one of the supervisors was at Aluani for 6 months. So they told me they would get him to come by to give me some insider tips on the resort and Hawaii in general. They paged him and we spent a lot of time talking about Hawaii. Gave some good tips on where to eat and things to do there. Really nice of the three of them to go out of their way to do that.

I was then texted that the room was ready and I told them I’ll probably see them tomorrow. Finish my cocktail and head to Bell Services to get the bag. Down the hall. At least I know my way around here.

The room. It was about midway down the wing.

And Barry, I didn’t check to see if it could flush a live chicken

This was a standard view but got a decent view of the Savanna

CJ?

Chilled in the room for a while and went back to Mara and the store for munchies. That night was a trip to the pool for another cocktail and to take a dip. Two tweens were picking on a much smaller kid and it got me mad. Told them to knock it off and had a mini run in with their dad but they soon left. Some people. No further comments on how some people should not be parents. Went back to the bar and got another cocktail. Felt better and relaxed the rest of the night.

Went to bed early tonight but before I did, took this picture

All in all a somewhat frustrating day. Mainly because I shot myself in the foot many times. But I am at Disney World and even if I made many wrong turns almost since waking up, it was another good day. Next time I will take a cab when checking into another resort.

UP Next: DHS and Free Food at Boma and Jiko. AKA Cool!
Old 05-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #54
jekjones1558
Always happy at Disney

Old 05-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #55
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
I don’t know what it is. I could blame senility but it is still a early yet for that. And I do not need comments on either of those from the peanut gallery.
Too bad, you're getting them anyway...

I didn't realize POP Century was that confusing.

Quote:
So get to the bus and I pick the Downtown Disney one. Why, because there is not many people in line. The bus comes after a while and I board and take a seat. As we are driving I realize the error of my ways. I am going to the furthest point on Disney property from the AKL. Plus we have to stop at Typhoon Lagoon.
Rookie move for a veteran...

Quote:
The bad news was I was at the wrong resort.
Wow... what a great day!

Quote:
I do guarantee you though that the Hawaii and California trip is well planned and important things are documented.
I guess we'll find out when you get to that TR.

Quote:
Also as you can see, I got the mug.
But did you get it at Mara or did you bring it with you from POP???

Quote:
Gave some good tips on where to eat and things to do there. Really nice of the three of them to go out of their way to do that.
Wow. That is the type of service that makes Disney what it is.

Quote:
Why not??? You were at AKL. Surely they had some chickens or some other equivalent sized bird running around there somewhere.

Quote:
Next time I will take a cab when checking into another resort.
And the fact that you learned something makes all the trouble worthwhile.

At least it was a pretty good, relaxing day once you finally got to AKL. I'd take a day like that over a day at work, anytime.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #56
sarahk0204
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The bad news was I was at the wrong resort. I am at Jambo, not Kidani. OK, forgot when I was leaving on vacation and now I am at the wrong resort. Maybe senility is sinking in. (Again, no comments needed) In my defense, Kidani has by far most of the DVC rooms so it made sense I was staying there. I also used to be an uber-planner. Reservations printed out in triplicate, ADRs planned 180 days out along with the park invasion scenarios made day by day. Gave that up a while ago. Hey, I am a WDW veteran. Maybe need to rethink that. I do guarantee you though that the Hawaii and California trip is well planned and important things are documented.

I totally did that with an ADR a couple of trips back. I was so proud of myself for using the online system. Then I realized (before the trip, luckily) that I made the ADR for the wrong day, one of our travel day. Of course, there was NOTHING left when I tried to rebook. I just figure that cancelling the ADR made someone else's day.

I totally blame it on the relaxed attitude of DVC

This was a standard view but got a decent view of the Savanna So was it a value room? Standard views at Jambo are usually pool views, I believe. I think your Boardwalk is showing!

CJ?

That night was a trip to the pool for another cocktail and to take a dip. Two tweens were picking on a much smaller kid and it got me mad. Told them to knock it off and had a mini run in with their dad but they soon left. Some people. No further comments on how some people should not be parents. Or maybe stadard views are savanna views, as you see wildlife in each!

UP Next: DHS and Free Food at Boma and Jiko. AKA Cool!
Old 05-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #57
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Lazy morning. Still woke up about 6:00 am but laid in the bed watching the news. Wish I could sleep later but it just doesn’t happen.
I'm the same way. I'm an early riser, and it seems like seeing daylight triggers my brain to say "it's wakey time! No more sleep!". Evan is the same way, and its looking like Ryder will be too if he keeps on his 5:30am wake up schedule.
Quote:
Put the “Do Not Disturb” sign in the door. Well, I would have if the room had one.
You could hang a sock or a tie on the door knob, but I think that has a different meaning.

Quote:
I could blame senility but it is still a early yet for that. And I do not need comments on either of those from the peanut gallery.
Biting my tongue, biting my tongue, biting my tongue....

Quote:
The bad news was I was at the wrong resort. I am at Jambo, not Kidani. OK, forgot when I was leaving on vacation and now I am at the wrong resort. Maybe senility is sinking in. (Again, no comments needed)
Ok, but it's getting really hard to hold them in.

Quote:
It was well after noon so decided to get something to eat. Headed to Mara, one of the best food courts in all of WDW.
Agreed! As odd as it sounds, we've actually specifically gone to AKL just to eat there.

Quote:
Since I am the shy, retiring type it took me a while to warm up to them. Kim is expecting a baby soon and Laura is a DVC member and avid traveler. We started talking and somehow the Hawaii/California trip came up. They let me know that one of the supervisors was at Aluani for 6 months. So they told me they would get him to come by to give me some insider tips on the resort and Hawaii in general. They paged him and we spent a lot of time talking about Hawaii. Gave some good tips on where to eat and things to do there. Really nice of the three of them to go out of their way to do that.
CMs like this are awesome!

Quote:
You have much to learn, young padawan.

Quote:
Two tweens were picking on a much smaller kid and it got me mad. Told them to knock it off and had a mini run in with their dad but they soon left. Some people. No further comments on how some people should not be parents.
Kids can't even avoid bullying at Disney World? Sheesh. Nice job stepping in. You earned that cocktail.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #58
cj9200
DIS Dad #412

Quote:
Too bad, you're getting them anyway...

I didn't realize POP Century was that confusing.

Rookie move for a veteran...
Stop it. Don't make me turn this trip report around

Quote:
But did you get it at Mara or did you bring it with you from POP???
Was a good boy and bought it at Mara.

Quote:
Why not??? You were at AKL. Surely they had some chickens or some other equivalent sized bird running around there somewhere.
But they have cameras on the Savanna. I can see the headlines now. Man caught running around the Savanna trying to get an African chicken to see if it would flush down a toilet.

Quote:
And the fact that you learned something makes all the trouble worthwhile.
Not really. But I did learn something.

Quote:
At least it was a pretty good, relaxing day once you finally got to AKL. I'd take a day like that over a day at work, anytime.
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahk0204 View Post
I totally did that with an ADR a couple of trips back. I was so proud of myself for using the online system. Then I realized (before the trip, luckily) that I made the ADR for the wrong day, one of our travel day. Of course, there was NOTHING left when I tried to rebook. I just figure that cancelling the ADR made someone else's day.

I totally blame it on the relaxed attitude of DVC
That is so true. I remember earlier trips where I acted like an invading force determined to do everything. This trip like others before them it was like, I'll do it next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahk0204 View Post
So was it a value room? Standard views at Jambo are usually pool views, I believe. I think your Boardwalk is showing!
You know, I don't know. Thought it was a standard but it may have been a value. And yes, my bias to Boardwalk is showing.

Quote:
I'm the same way. I'm an early riser, and it seems like seeing daylight triggers my brain to say "it's wakey time! No more sleep!". Evan is the same way, and its looking like Ryder will be too if he keeps on his 5:30am wake up schedule.
Wait until the kids are teens. You will need dynamite to wake them up.

Quote:
You could hang a sock or a tie on the door knob, but I think that has a different meaning.
Didn't think of that. Shows you how old I am forgot about the sock on the door method.

Quote:
Biting my tongue, biting my tongue, biting my tongue....

Ok, but it's getting really hard to hold them in.
Just bite harder. If not, I will have DD run for Team Tim.

Quote:
CMs like this are awesome!
It was really nice of them. Plus they poured decent drinks.

Quote:
Kids can't even avoid bullying at Disney World? Sheesh. Nice job stepping in. You earned that cocktail.
They were being stupid and thought it was great fun. The bad thing about it was the dad was also a jerk and thought it was boys will be boys stuff. Really disturbing.

Last edited by cj9200; 05-31-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #59
kid-at-heart
DIS Veteran

Quote:

But they have cameras on the Savanna. I can see the headlines now. Man caught running around the Savanna trying to get an African chicken to see if it would flush down a toilet.

Also, thanks for coming to the aid of the child being bullied. I hope if any adult ever sees someone bullying my child they will step in and help her.

kate

kid-at-heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #60
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Whoa! Didn't even notice they had a new TR section!
And it would be very helpful to me if you used it for your lovelies. I'm getting old Alison and it would help me remember to catch up.

But then again you have your masses on the other so hard call.

Quote:

The ugly home run thing

Center field and the Miami skyline

That IS ugly. Does it make noise?

But sighing on the skyline being part of a center field view. Nice. That's lovely to be sitting there enjoying that view.

Quote:

Haven’t stayed at Pop for a while and it took me forever to find the room. Many wrong turns later I open the door and here I am. Normally I get lost driving around Disney, this time it was walking.

Hmmm, not sure what to say about this?

Well that's lie - I have many comments but I'm feeling weirdly reserved today.

Last edited by lisaviolet; 06-03-2012 at 11:42 AM.
lisaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: