Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #31
onceagain1
Mouseketeer

Your PTR

Just finished reading your PTR, he sure is a cutey. And similar defect to my daughter's, she's had the norwood, glenn and fontan. We had some troubles with the norwood and glenn, the fontan actually went better than the others for us. Love reading your preparations, and yet again reminds me that I need to get our PTR set up already!!

I'm more of a planner than you are I think, but to be honest, I also haven't planned any dinners yet at DW as I'm not sure I want to pay out the money for them, and M (or Chatterbox as I call her) might not eat very much as she'll be excited, and perhaps impatient. I was also told we'll still get to meet any characters that she wants, for the most part.

Also wondering about the MVMMCP - is that the acronym for Mickey's Christmas Parade? I haven't researched it yet, but if GK is as magical as it seems to be, that might be enough for her. You'll have to let me know what you decide, and then bring a report back, as you go before we do.

heart hugs

Chatterbox's Pre-Trip Report

December 14 - December 22, 2012
onceagain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #32
aym4Him
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebearkidney View Post
I'm in! We have the exact same Woody outfit - with the matching fraying. (don't ask about the hat... it didn't make it - moment of silence please)
My son has had 29 surgeries and I didn't like his ear tubes being put in either - so no intervention needed. It's a mommy thing! I'm trying to consider the pros/cons of character meals too. I want to let him SEE the big characters up close first when we are there, but I'm afraid it would be too late to reserve a meal by that point. Can't wait to read a bit more about the trip, happy to see updates.
My goodness!! 29 surgeries! What a brave boy (and Mommy!)!

I know what you mean...this is supposed to be the time of our life (the trip) and the "what ifs" kind of sneak in and try to suck the life out of it! I have friends who have been (but not on a wish trip) so they can offer perspective but not exactly the same of a wish family. I'm so happy to have found this place!! Now, I need to start a thread reading, "All Wish Trippers Who Have Taken a 3.5 yr old to Disney, Please Post Here!" Actually, he'll be closer to 4 by the time we go, but still. For instance, I have a friend from high school who has some connections at Disney. She just messaged me saying that if E would like to meet a certain someone for an in-depth meeting, then to let her know and she'd see what she could do. This particular person is UBER cool when seen on TV and played with at home but he has made mention that this character will not "see him" at Disney (meaning, Ethan doesn't want to see him). *sniffle* So, for any of you who have gone, did your chicken littles turn to brave hearts by the time you arrived?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceagain1 View Post
Just finished reading your PTR, he sure is a cutey. And similar defect to my daughter's, she's had the norwood, glenn and fontan. We had some troubles with the norwood and glenn, the fontan actually went better than the others for us. Love reading your preparations, and yet again reminds me that I need to get our PTR set up already!!

I'm more of a planner than you are I think, but to be honest, I also haven't planned any dinners yet at DW as I'm not sure I want to pay out the money for them, and M (or Chatterbox as I call her) might not eat very much as she'll be excited, and perhaps impatient. I was also told we'll still get to meet any characters that she wants, for the most part.

Also wondering about the MVMMCP - is that the acronym for Mickey's Christmas Parade? I haven't researched it yet, but if GK is as magical as it seems to be, that might be enough for her. You'll have to let me know what you decide, and then bring a report back, as you go before we do.

heart hugs
Wow! Your daughter's defect is a bit more surgically-complex than Ethan's. Does she have Pulmonary Atresia or HLHS? Ethan's type of defect is usually a one-surgery one but he developed complications at 3 mos old that required a 2nd surgery at 4 mos. He may have to have a valve replaced later on. Also, it seems that some children develop electrical problems as they grow. I hope he doesn't but, it could mean a pacemaker later on.

I'm leaning toward doing Chef Mickey's for a meal. Someone else mentioned Ohana's but I need to do more research to see which would be better (maybe we do two...). I know our chapter doesn't include character dinners nor special event tickets (Like Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party or Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Party) but will give us spending money that we can allot for whatever special things we want to do (but it's really geared for lunch and dinner and souvenirs). We are leaning towards skipping the MVMCP and instead taking in the Halloween and Christmas parties at GKTW.

I promise to do a trip report! Be forewarned (if you're reading this thread, you already know this)- I can be quite rambly and detailed!!

Heart hugs rightbackatcha!!!

Oh yes- and please continue to pray for our heart buddy, David. If he ends up needing to go home on milrinone, they will go ahead and list him for a heart transplant. I can not imagine what that process will be like for them They are going to try and get him started on enalipril again to see if that may help him get off the milrinone, but he's had a bad reaction to it in the past. Thank you!!!

Ethan's Magical MAW PTR (November 11-17; extending to the 20th!, 2012)

Shh! It's surprise! "Darth Ethan's Return to the Kingdom 2013" Pop Century November 11-19th
Happy Wishiversary, Ethan!
aym4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #33
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aym4Him View Post
I'm leaning toward doing Chef Mickey's for a meal. Someone else mentioned Ohana's but I need to do more research to see which would be better (maybe we do two...). I know our chapter doesn't include character dinners nor special event tickets (Like Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party or Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Party) but will give us spending money that we can allot for whatever special things we want to do (but it's really geared for lunch and dinner and souvenirs). We are leaning towards skipping the MVMCP and instead taking in the Halloween and Christmas parties at GKTW.

I promise to do a trip report! Be forewarned (if you're reading this thread, you already know this)- I can be quite rambly and detailed!!

Heart hugs rightbackatcha!!!

Oh yes- and please continue to pray for our heart buddy, David. If he ends up needing to go home on milrinone, they will go ahead and list him for a heart transplant. I can not imagine what that process will be like for them They are going to try and get him started on enalipril again to see if that may help him get off the milrinone, but he's had a bad reaction to it in the past. Thank you!!!
My son is 8 and has different special needs. But we have eaten all over WDW and may be able to offer you some insight between Ohana and Chef Mickey.

My youngest has always had a hard time sitting for dinner at Ohana. they do have coconut races and limbo and parade around to entertain the kids. They never had any problems with me carrying him around for those things. He has problems with food textures and didn't like the burnt grilled taste on the meats. The last time we went we got him chicken nuggets and french fries. He was also afraid of the tikis and Polynesian decor. He's not any more. As adults, we have never had a bad meal at Ohana. The banana bread pudding with icecream is delicious!! Ohana is a character meal at breakfast, but not at dinner.

Chef Mickey is more colorful, lots of bright primary colors. The monorail runs through the building so that is exciting to a young kid too. I have several friends who ate here in the last few months and they were not impressed with the food at all. They ranked it mediocre. But they loved the characters and the interactions with their children.

We ate at the Tusker House for lunch, but got seated early enough that breakfast was still served. We REALLY enjoyed the breakfast there and the character interaction! Eating at the first lunch spot, brought the characters to our table at least 3 times!! Same thing happened when we ate lunch at the Crystal Palace, we hit both breakfast and lunch items, and the characters came around 3 times too!! We stopped eating character meals there because the time before we ate around 1pm and it took nearly 2 hours til all the characters circulated around once. We were glad we gave it another go, and we liked that first seating too.
lovethattink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #34
aym4Him
DIS Veteran

Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
My son is 8 and has different special needs. But we have eaten all over WDW and may be able to offer you some insight between Ohana and Chef Mickey.

My youngest has always had a hard time sitting for dinner at Ohana. they do have coconut races and limbo and parade around to entertain the kids. They never had any problems with me carrying him around for those things. He has problems with food textures and didn't like the burnt grilled taste on the meats. The last time we went we got him chicken nuggets and french fries. He was also afraid of the tikis and Polynesian decor. He's not any more. As adults, we have never had a bad meal at Ohana. The banana bread pudding with icecream is delicious!! Ohana is a character meal at breakfast, but not at dinner.

Chef Mickey is more colorful, lots of bright primary colors. The monorail runs through the building so that is exciting to a young kid too. I have several friends who ate here in the last few months and they were not impressed with the food at all. They ranked it mediocre. But they loved the characters and the interactions with their children.

We ate at the Tusker House for lunch, but got seated early enough that breakfast was still served. We REALLY enjoyed the breakfast there and the character interaction! Eating at the first lunch spot, brought the characters to our table at least 3 times!! Same thing happened when we ate lunch at the Crystal Palace, we hit both breakfast and lunch items, and the characters came around 3 times too!! We stopped eating character meals there because the time before we ate around 1pm and it took nearly 2 hours til all the characters circulated around once. We were glad we gave it another go, and we liked that first seating too.
Thank you for this information! It was very helpful!! The contenders for character meals are: Chef Mickey's, Tusker House, and Hollywood and Vine (simply b/c of the Disney Jr characters- I have heard mixed reviews on the food).

Have any of you used easywdw.com's crowd calculator calendars before? Josh, I believe that's his name, comes highly praised on the disboards.com forum- that's how I found out about his calendar. Anyway, we are trying to go by it to figure out where we want to go and on which days. I'm just curious if any of you used it.

Is the Halloween party at GKTW at all scary? There is a MVMCP on the same night and we are trying to decide which to go to. BOTH nights the MVMCP falls on are, incidentally, the "best" days for us to hit MK according to the crowd calendar. Unfortunately, it closes at 7pm both nights b/c of the MVMCP. ALSO, according to the crowd calculator, on the days (nights) the Main Street Electrical Parade is going on, MK is the WORST park to be in!! Has anyone had experience with going somewhere else (like Sea World or Universal) during the day and then going to the MK for the events at night?

Just when it seems I am getting a grip on things, something else pops in to make me go, "Huuuuuh?"

Not stressed yet! No worries. Going to go read Alyssa's PTR for inspiration!

Shh! It's surprise! "Darth Ethan's Return to the Kingdom 2013" Pop Century November 11-19th
Old 09-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #35
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you for this information! It was very helpful!! The contenders for character meals are: Chef Mickey's, Tusker House, and Hollywood and Vine (simply b/c of the Disney Jr characters- I have heard mixed reviews on the food).

Have any of you used easywdw.com's crowd calculator calendars before? Josh, I believe that's his name, comes highly praised on the disboards.com forum- that's how I found out about his calendar. Anyway, we are trying to go by it to figure out where we want to go and on which days. I'm just curious if any of you used it.

Is the Halloween party at GKTW at all scary? There is a MVMCP on the same night and we are trying to decide which to go to. BOTH nights the MVMCP falls on are, incidentally, the "best" days for us to hit MK according to the crowd calendar. Unfortunately, it closes at 7pm both nights b/c of the MVMCP. ALSO, according to the crowd calculator, on the days (nights) the Main Street Electrical Parade is going on, MK is the WORST park to be in!! Has anyone had experience with going somewhere else (like Sea World or Universal) during the day and then going to the MK for the events at night?

Just when it seems I am getting a grip on things, something else pops in to make me go, "Huuuuuh?"

Not stressed yet! No worries. Going to go read Alyssa's PTR for inspiration!
I use easywdw and touring plans. Easywdw is free, touring plans is not. Definately more people go to the MK when it's opened longer. But just because the hours are extended doesn't mean you'll get more accomplished because it's opened longer. We have found crowds to be not bad when the park closes early. Just be prepared for crowds to increase drastically around 4pm on days it closes at 7.

Sea World is nice. Their Meal deal is good, and so is Universal's. I don't go to Sea World often so I'm not sure about which days are best. I know Universal is suppose to be best on Sundays and Mondays. We practically had Universal to ourselves on Labor Day.

My son makes it about 3 hours tops in a park. When the parks first open we accomplish the most. But he is not much of a morning person.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #36
aym4Him
DIS Veteran

Waaah..

Ok. I'm stressed.

One, I haven't even checked to see if there are any character meal reservations even open because I don't know where we are going and on which days!

Two, if I am annoying anyone with my rants and whines, I profusely apologize. Stop reading now. Go to your happy place and relax. This isn't the place

So, when I really need to plan something (packing lists, to do lists, etc), I have to physically write things down. Up til today, I was good doing things electronically- mainly checking posts here, crowd calendars, feedback from friends/Disney Addicts on facebook. Tonight, however, it just got real! After scribbling on the front and back of the crowd calendar I printed out, I had to bust out my handy dandy notebook (which is, incidentally, blue (though I know Blue's was red on BC)) and pen. I thought, "If I can write it down and get things from my brain to the paper where I can SEE it, then we'll be good." Errrr.... The fact that I couldn't figure anything out after doing so makes me wonder about the aptitude of my brain.

Thinking out loud:

Saturday is our arrival day, thusly, we will spend it at GKTW and potentially picking up inlaws at the airport (an extra in-law just came into the picture which mentally threw a wrench in my "plans."). There's the high probability that FIL can't make it til Sunday and will have to figure out a way to get from the airport to the park we're in or GKTW to meet up with us OR, he'll just stay home and my SIL will take his place. If he goes, she will fly in on the same day as us and leave on Wed. I just don't even want to think about it right now.... Calgon, take me away!

Sunday is kind of up in the air. It's a good day to visit HS and AK but we are wondering if we should hit Sea World or something then. Then again, Wishes (not that we can go to the MK on that day b/c is supposed to be busy) is at 9 and Fantasmic (at HS) is at 6:30. We had thought about doing 1/2 day at AK and then the evening at HS, but we aren't sure......

Monday is supposed to be a good day to hit the MK. If we do the MVCP, though, we might just go to Universal/IOA or Sea World (if we don't do SW on Sunday) and then go to MK for the party (we can get in at 4, I've heard).

Tuesday is another good one for HS/AK. The stinky thing is that is one night the Main Street Electrical Parade is happening (one of my fav memories as a young person visiting the MK). But, Fantasmic is at 6:30 at HS.... Mayor Clayton's Bday party is that night at GKTW. Not sure about going to that..

Wednesday is good for EP/HS. MK is questionable. We weren't planning on going to EP just because there doesn't seem to be a lot there for Ethan. The MSEP is that night at the MK and so is Wishes (8pm). This would be a good night to be out at a park b/c I'm not sure E would participate in Village Idol (though I love watching kids perform! SO CUTE and inspiring).

Thursday is EP/MK and also the MVMCP but we are thinking about going to the GKTW Christmas Party instead of the MVMCP.

Friday is our departure day. I wish we could leave that night (or Saturday!) b/c the Pirates and Princesses Party at GKTW is that evening. Anyway, the MK/AK are both supposed to be less crowded on that day.

Even if there might be some character meal ressies left, do you have to have a ticket to the park in order to make one? I mean, we have 3 day park hoppers and if we've used up our 3 days, can we eat at Chef Mickey's on our departure day? I'm sure (and it makes sense!) the answer is no, but I just thought I would ask.

Now that I've typed all that, I'm going to read over it and see if anything becomes clearer. Can someone send me some magic please???

Old 09-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #37
carebearkidney
Mouseketeer

I think with the dates you have and the MAW button you will wear - you shouldn't have any problems with crowds. Yes, more people will always be at MK, but I think regardless if there were 100 people or 10,000 people- y'all are going to have such a MAGICAL time! Sea World shouldn't really present any problems, there is hardly any ques as it is many shows. I'm sure the kiddos will enjoy Shamu's kiddy play area though. We just took our boys to the Chattanooga Aquarium the week before school started and now my oldest (6) is most excited about Sea World!
And I do believe you have to have a ticket into the park for character meals...
Sending hugs and Calgon!

Trick or Treat Trip Oct 11-16th 2014
Shades of Green :

Our MAW PTR
To Kidney - and Beyond!

Our kidney-versary trip - celebrating one year anniversary of kidney transplant!
kidney-versary trip 2011

Kidney-versary trip 2011
MAW trip Feb 17 - 23 2013
carebearkidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #38
disneyfan'08
Earning My Ears

Quote:

Even if there might be some character meal ressies left, do you have to have a ticket to the park in order to make one? I mean, we have 3 day park hoppers and if we've used up our 3 days, can we eat at Chef Mickey's on our departure day? I'm sure (and it makes sense!) the answer is no, but I just thought I would ask.

Now that I've typed all that, I'm going to read over it and see if anything becomes clearer. Can someone send me some magic please???
Chef Mickey's is at the Contemporary Resort (so it's not in the Magic Kingdom). You don't need a park ticket to get there so that could be a perfect place to go for breakfast on your departure day!

If you have any other Disney questions, let me know! I go to Disney once a year so I'm very familiar with all of the restaurants and parks. I don't know much about Sea World or Universal so I really can't help with that part of your trip.
disneyfan'08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #39
aym4Him
DIS Veteran

Thanks!

Quote:
I think with the dates you have and the MAW button you will wear - you shouldn't have any problems with crowds. Yes, more people will always be at MK, but I think regardless if there were 100 people or 10,000 people- y'all are going to have such a MAGICAL time! Sea World shouldn't really present any problems, there is hardly any ques as it is many shows. I'm sure the kiddos will enjoy Shamu's kiddy play area though. We just took our boys to the Chattanooga Aquarium the week before school started and now my oldest (6) is most excited about Sea World!
And I do believe you have to have a ticket into the park for character meals...
Sending hugs and Calgon!
Thank you! I know...I just need to take a breath and not get all worked up.

Our dates have actually changed by one day. There must have been a miscommunication between the wish manager and our wish granters. We are actually set for November 11th-17th. I just found this out today. At first, I misunderstood and was thinking we were going Saturday-Saturday (which was AWESOME b/c it kind of gave us an extra day). I was until about 5 minutes ago. I just picked E up from "school" and sat down here to check email and reread the one from the WM this morning. "So glad Nov. 11th-17th works out for y'all!" Oh. Sunday-Saturday. I had planned out our week (finally!) during lunch today so I'll need to go back and re-tweak.

We can extend either way, if we want to. When we thought we were departing on Fri the 16th, extending to Sunday worked b/c DH doesn't have to miss any more work than he planned. Oh well!! No worries. We get to add the Pirates and Princesses Party to our plans as a possible option now (or the MVMCP if we don't go on Monday).

Ok. Back to the planning! I'll have an itinerary for you soon!!!

OH!! Character meals like Chef Mickey won't require a park ticket b/c it's at a hotel (the Contemporary). At least, that's one we can hit w/o needing an extra ticket (in case we decide to do a meal after we've used our park hoppers up).

Hope y'all are having a great Monday! The allergies are running rampant here...E has been sniffling and swiping (He's still not mastered the art of nose-blowing...it sounds like it's full but then he blows and nothing comes out??) but, thankfully, he hasn't had a fever and was able to go to school today. He is rocking it this year, by the way! Two days in the books (with a weekend in between) and no tears! Woot!

Last edited by aym4Him; 09-10-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Added character meal info...
Old 09-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #40
aym4Him
DIS Veteran

No reservations available at Chef Mickey's. Yup. It's my own fault for waiting too long.

May do Tusker House. E's 1st choice was Hollywood & Vine, but we didn't plan on being at HS in the mornings (planned on splitting with AK).

Any other suggestions?

Old 09-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #41
Emmaswishtrip
Earning My Ears

Your planning is going so good! Can't wait to follow!

Emmaswishtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #42
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you! I know...I just need to take a breath and not get all worked up.

Our dates have actually changed by one day. There must have been a miscommunication between the wish manager and our wish granters. We are actually set for November 11th-17th. I just found this out today. At first, I misunderstood and was thinking we were going Saturday-Saturday (which was AWESOME b/c it kind of gave us an extra day). I was until about 5 minutes ago. I just picked E up from "school" and sat down here to check email and reread the one from the WM this morning. "So glad Nov. 11th-17th works out for y'all!" Oh. Sunday-Saturday. I had planned out our week (finally!) during lunch today so I'll need to go back and re-tweak.

We can extend either way, if we want to. When we thought we were departing on Fri the 16th, extending to Sunday worked b/c DH doesn't have to miss any more work than he planned. Oh well!! No worries. We get to add the Pirates and Princesses Party to our plans as a possible option now (or the MVMCP if we don't go on Monday).

Ok. Back to the planning! I'll have an itinerary for you soon!!!

OH!! Character meals like Chef Mickey won't require a park ticket b/c it's at a hotel (the Contemporary). At least, that's one we can hit w/o needing an extra ticket (in case we decide to do a meal after we've used our park hoppers up).

Hope y'all are having a great Monday! The allergies are running rampant here...E has been sniffling and swiping (He's still not mastered the art of nose-blowing...it sounds like it's full but then he blows and nothing comes out??) but, thankfully, he hasn't had a fever and was able to go to school today. He is rocking it this year, by the way! Two days in the books (with a weekend in between) and no tears! Woot!
Bummer about Chef Mickey. Tusker House was fun at Animal Kingdom! Donald does not circulate around the dining room, he is stationed outside. They had us visit him before we were seated. Then while dining the photopass person came around to see if we wanted to buy the picture they took. It was so good, how could we say no? It wasn't cheap though.

The Cape May Cafe has a nice character breakfast at the Beach Club. So that's also at a resort instead of a park.

Don't worry about the crowds too much. You are going at a great time.

Be sure to use the wish lounges in the park! If they close too early, you can always use the baby care center or first aid too.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #43
carebearkidney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Bummer about Chef Mickey.

The Cape May Cafe has a nice character breakfast at the Beach Club. So that's also at a resort instead of a park.
Just suggested this on the Wish thread.

Trick or Treat Trip Oct 11-16th 2014
Shades of Green :

Our MAW PTR
To Kidney - and Beyond!

Our kidney-versary trip - celebrating one year anniversary of kidney transplant!
kidney-versary trip 2011

Kidney-versary trip 2011
MAW trip Feb 17 - 23 2013
carebearkidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #44
aym4Him
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Just suggested this on the Wish thread.
Great minds

We will definitely look into doing breakfast at Cape May. Just trying to see which day will work out the best. The disboards info shows it's a Minnie, Goofy and Donald character interaction but also says "Characters are subject to change."

Is the $15.99 I'm seeing for kids and then the $35.99 for adults? Just trying to figure that out so we can give my in-laws an estimate of how much it is gonna cost them to dine with us. (Ha..that sounds kind of cold, doesn't it?)

Do most of you do CS meals other than the character ones?

Old 09-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #45
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Great minds

We will definitely look into doing breakfast at Cape May. Just trying to see which day will work out the best. The disboards info shows it's a Minnie, Goofy and Donald character interaction but also says "Characters are subject to change."

Is the $15.99 I'm seeing for kids and then the $35.99 for adults? Just trying to figure that out so we can give my in-laws an estimate of how much it is gonna cost them to dine with us. (Ha..that sounds kind of cold, doesn't it?)

Do most of you do CS meals other than the character ones?
Yes, great minds do think alike!

Yes, the lower price is for kids and the outrageous breakfast price is for adults. That's why I like the buffet at the Yacht club's Captain's Grille. No characters, but great food for $15.99 or so, including drinks.

We tend to eat either breakfast or lunch at a table service restaurant and then supper at either a counter service at a park or a restaurant or fast food off property. Lunch prices at table service is much cheaper, usually, then the dinner prices. One exception I can think of is the Coral Reef. Their prices are the same for lunch as dinner. Most other places charge about $10 more per plate for dinner prices. The counter service restaurants charge the same prices all day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: