Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #61
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

I completely understand the bank balance thing. We own a business which is doing really well at the moment, but we can't access the money without paying extra tax on it, so there's all this money sitting in an account we can see, sitting next to our pizzly little savings and spendings account
Old 05-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #62
Andona
Destroyer of the Aussie Dollar

Congrats on booking your flights!
I always get a real thrill when I receive those confirmation emails
Andona
Dec 2014 Hawaii Here We Come!
Andona is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #63
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

i paid by bpay, rather than incur a $25 fee to pay by c/card - per person. so i won't get my confirmation until they process the payment, which will probably be sometime in the next 1-2 business days...

i got paid yesterday, and now today... no money left in my pretty savings account except a measly few hundred...we've burnt through approx 8k in the last month alone, just paying for stuff....

lol.. i think i'd prefer the 8k still in my account
Old 05-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #64
Aust
DIS Veteran

Remember it's all about the experience, not the money, think about what a great time you will ahve and memories you will make. I had my mother-in-law going cranky at me the other day because she had her mortgage paid off by the time she was 38, and my husband is almost 42 and we haven't paid ours off...I try not to think about the $25,000 that 'should' be going off the mortgage, but about the fantastic time we will be having in September.
2007 DLR (DLH)
1991 DL Tokyo
Aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #65
battymum
DIS Veteran

Aust, is that the best story your MIL can pass on to her grandkids... what has she done since paying off her mortgage?

While I am all for setting yourself up and being secure, and lets face it owning your own home is the best way to do this - there is nothing wrong with spending some money and actually enjoying your life!!!

(mind you, I have a hard time actually doing this, once it is done I have no regrets, but actually handing over that money is pretty tough for me to do! )
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #66
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

i don't like the MIL's comments... you have done more for your children giving them memories and great experiences.

my parents spent all their time scrimping & saving to pay off their home loan. we didn't suffer, not by a long shot, but there certainly weren't any trips to disneyland in our childhood.

now, as adults, i don't own my own home, but i've travelled, paid for my own wedding, don't have debt and have put myself through university. my parents love these achievements, and love the life i'm making for myself.

i think if your MIL really cares for you, your DH and your kids, she'll appreciate the quality of the experiences you've provided your children..
Old 05-18-2012, 01:41 AM   #67
Aust
DIS Veteran

And she forgets how much cheaper houses were 30 years ago!!
2007 DLR (DLH)
1991 DL Tokyo
Aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:47 AM   #68
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aust View Post
And she forgets how much cheaper houses were 30 years ago!!
oh, i so totally agree. there are just so many more expenses these days, and cost of living has risen quite significantly which is not in line with rises in income levels or pay disparity. the idea of taking out a mortgage for over half a million dollars just for a 'generic' kind of home really just makes me want to gag.

do you know how many trips i could take for even a fraction of that kind of money?? sheesh.

but i digress. i now only have to come up with just under $200 per week to accumulate the funds for the rest of the trip. easy peasy... life is looking up again
Old 05-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #69
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

so last night i got our flight confirmation and e-tickets. yay.

this morning i went to the ESTA website for the visa waiver program application and found out that our previous ESTA authorisation is still in effect, and we don't need a new one... woot!! i mean, it only saves us $28 but it saves so much hassle...

yayness.

now i'm off to research the fantasmic dessert packages, the holidays at disneyland tour, and options for a lazy sunday... carlo wants to do a lazy sunday while we're over there, sleep in, brunch someplace nice, then a midday movie, then back to the hotel to relax. i'm thinking of combining that with our shopping day where there's no pressure and no rushing around...
Old 05-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #70
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506 View Post
so last night i got our flight confirmation and e-tickets. yay.

this morning i went to the ESTA website for the visa waiver program application and found out that our previous ESTA authorisation is still in effect, and we don't need a new one... woot!! i mean, it only saves us $28 but it saves so much hassle...

yayness.

now i'm off to research the fantasmic dessert packages, the holidays at disneyland tour, and options for a lazy sunday... carlo wants to do a lazy sunday while we're over there, sleep in, brunch someplace nice, then a midday movie, then back to the hotel to relax. i'm thinking of combining that with our shopping day where there's no pressure and no rushing around...
remember..sunday is also the locals day for movies, shopping etc...can you make his lazy sunday a Monday..thats what we do..the outlets/shops/movies are empty
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #71
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by australiankaren View Post
remember..sunday is also the locals day for movies, shopping etc...can you make his lazy sunday a Monday..thats what we do..the outlets/shops/movies are empty
ooh, good thought. thanks for the tip. will make sure our day out is a weekday
Old 05-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #72
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

Quote:
ooh, good thought. thanks for the tip. will make sure our day out is a weekday
glad i could help.......lets just keep this our little secret
Old 05-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #73
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by australiankaren View Post
glad i could help.......lets just keep this our little secret
done

now... if only no one else reads this post on the DIS

Old 05-18-2012, 10:57 PM   #74
australiankaren

Quote:
done

now... if only no one else reads this post on the DIS

lets just walk quietly away from this thread, pretend you dont know me.....they'll never know just how cunning we really are...
Old 05-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #75
cola
Mouseketeer

Quote:
options for a lazy sunday... carlo wants to do a lazy sunday while we're over there, sleep in, brunch someplace nice, then a midday movie, then back to the hotel to relax. i'm thinking of combining that with our shopping day where there's no pressure and no rushing around...
I'm not sure what would be more crowded shops/movie or Disneyland!
Sleep in, lazy brunch, movie, doesn't leave much time for mooching around shops. Maybe shopping day should be a nice quiet week day with a reasonable start time? Lots of places do major Sunday brunch things which don't run mid-week, and you've got a park ticket for your whole stay, you could just have a low key last couple of hours park visit Sunday.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: